Default Headless Cross lyrics

I was just wondering if any one else has gotten turned off of HC because of the lyrics. When I first got it I took them ( The lyrics )as a sort of tongue in cheek metal thing and it was one of my favorite Cd's. But over time I've gotten
    so I don't want to listen to it at all any more because TMs always singing about Satan or evil or hell on it and its just like " Aw come on man. Give it a rest!"
    I still love the music and TMs melodies but the Satan shit got real old.
    I know I'll probably see a couple of "If you don't like it don't listen to it!" responses so I'll just say up front-yea, no shit I already said that I DON'T listen to it now.
    I know this is probably a few peoples favorite Black Sabbath album and as I said at one time it was one of mine I was just wondering if any one else has gotten sick of it like I have BECAUSE OF THE LYRICS?

Default Re: Headless Cross lyrics

It's a wonderful parody of the old Satan myth. The lyrics don't botter me at all. I listen to worse things (rainbows rising, castles and dragons, etc). Hell, I even used to listen to Strype (the oposite case where all songs were about the Christ myth) and the music was equally great.

This is a problem with thematic albums: all songs are about the same. In this case it is about some "Satan" guy and death. Next album is partially about gods. And the next one about politics (CP)... So the answer is, I love this album.

You're not the only person that this has happened to. Those lyrics turn off a lot of people. I, however, don't mind them and I still love the album.

Same here, I dont mind the lyrics at all. Though when I listen to music, I listen mostly to the instruments than the actual lyrics.

But thats just me.

I don't mind these lyrics, at least it's better than what bands like Whitesnake were doing. There isn't much total cheesiness either. Moreover, in the case of Headless Cross, the delivery is immaculate, and sits atop of quite good music (am I the only one who loves the call and answer between Tony Iommi and Laurence Cottle in Headless Cross?)
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Not at all, but I most of the time I don't even pay attention to the lyrics anyway.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

[ QUOTE ]
    (am I the only one who loves the call and answer between Tony Iommi and Laurence Cottle in Headless Cross?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly not! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't like lyrics at all, I mean I don't mine bands singing about satan (Rob Zombie, AC/DC), but the lyrics is talking kinda talking about you should worship (or believing) satan, (Headless Cross, When Death Calls, Black Moon). I hate bands do that try to change your religion in music expecially christian bands, this is music, not church.
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    (am I the only one who loves the call and answer between Tony Iommi and Laurence Cottle in Headless Cross?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly not! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking at laurence's site and was amazed by the versatility of this guy. He has played almost ***everywhere***:

From Sabbath to Britney Spears, from Clapton to Hanson, his music is in Oprah's show, in "Married with Children","Friends", "Fresh Prince"... Has played with Sting, Alan Parson, Cher... Take a look:

http://laurencecottle.com/content/view/22/41/

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't like lyrics at all, I mean I don't mine bands singing about satan (Rob Zombie, AC/DC), but the lyrics is talking kinda talking about you should worship (or believing) satan, (Headless Cross, When Death Calls, Black Moon). I hate bands do that try to change your religion in music expecially christian bands, this is music, not church.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Headless Cross lyrics tell you to worship Satan? That's a really broad imagination if you ask me.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

[ QUOTE ]

Headless Cross lyrics tell you to worship Satan? That's a really broad imagination if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!!! Don't you see it? Thanks to HC I am now Satans worshiper number one! I was blind before I heard

"But Satan never listens to the words that they send
    Drenching the soul with blood, when will it end".

Then I saw the light! Or should I say... I saw the darkness [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh! and Dio's albums tell you how to kill dragons... and stuff [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I really don't care that much about the lyrics.

While I do pay attention to lyrics if they happen to be well-written, I really wouldn't care too much otherwise. Like I once said before, the minute you start to dissect a song, that's when we find everything we like/dislike about them. Better to take the sum of the parts rather than look at each individual aspect.

I did notice a lot of references to the devil, but it was no big deal.

I think the lyrics are cool. You know in certain thrash or black metal you take the satan stuff for granted, but in the case of HC where the music is epic and melodic, with even some AOR-touch it sounds just great. Especially I love the line "I believe Satan lives in the souls of the dying"
    I used to like listening When Death Calls in candle light and have a couple of beers before going out.

[ QUOTE ]
    I did notice a lot of references to the devil, but it was no big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that why he geared away from Satan on TYR ?
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

i think the lyrics adds to the overall feeling of the music. can you truly imagine the songs with different lyrics?! it wouldn't be headless cross anymore. i like how headless cross is kind of "dark".

I am a Catholic, go to church every sunday, and have no issue with the lyrics.

Thing is if you are a Catholic or Christian, then you do believe in a satan, doesn't mean you worship him, but you do believe he exists. So really the Headless Cross lyrics aren't offensive because it's just talking about Satan who we all think exists - it's really not praising Satan either, or promoting Satanism. I think it's just harmless, I havn't gotten worked up over it.

Plus most of time when listening to songs I don't even notice the lyrics, I mean some songs I do but really I just listen for the melody not what they are actually saying.

Either way I have no issue with Headless Cross.

[ QUOTE ]
    Especially I love the line "I believe Satan lives in the souls of the dying"

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence, but I have to say that I think this is the most cheesy line in ANY Sabbath song! It makes no sence and only sound wannabe-evil. I love the song When Death Calls, but this line is just embarresing.
    Overall, the lyrics on HC is quite cheesy, but in most cases the music compensate for the lack of intelligent, beatifull, intresting, cool or clever lyrics. It just feels like there's to much devil/satanic lyrics, and it tends to feel like a parody. And IMO, Tony Iommi or Black Sabbath never was about humour. OK, the induvidual members could be funny privatly, Ozzy, Iommi, Gillan and the guy all have humour, but the music aleways was serius. OK, maybe Ian Gillan's lyrics also wasn't 100% serious, but at least they wasn't as cheesy as these.
    But HC is a good record, none the less. Great music and the lyrics doesn't really bother me that much. It's just when you here "Satan kills everyone" for the 79:th time, it gets a bit old.

For one, if I wanted to hear a bunch of songs about Satan, I don't want to turn to Black Sabbath. Two, for me, it's the mix of the lame ass lyrics and the cheesy 80's sound that turns me off to it

[ QUOTE ]
    For one, if I wanted to hear a bunch of songs about Satan, I don't want to turn to Black Sabbath. Two, for me, it's the mix of the lame ass lyrics and the cheesy 80's sound that turns me off to it

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. Some guy told me that he deeply disliked "Born again". "Disturbing priestes and bitches (digital or not), Hot lines, and other Gillanisms don't belong in Sabbath" he told me...

I've always thinking that all the things about Satan and Heavy Metal in General were just THEATER!!! If you listen and look The EXORCIST or DAMIEN THE OMEN, we are not possessed because of it!!! We had that priest in Québec,in the 80's, who had written that book about SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES in HEAVY METAL! What a Joke you know!!! But those lyrics are fun in our imagination but it has nothing to do with our lives day by day and it's just Theater!For me,it's the same thing as if i was looking a FANTASTIC movie!

The lyrics are no worse than Paranoid or Iron Man or - Back Street Kids!

The lyrics are okay but I mainly listen to the music. It is better than all the hair metal that was going out of style at the time.

Well, guys, I gotta agree with the ones who say that HC is just a bit over the top with references to Satan. Most of Sabbaths albums mention Satan, Lucifer, ect. here and there, but HC really was just too much, IMO. I am more of a Cross Purposes kind of guy.
    Life Member of the NRA

[ QUOTE ]
    The lyrics are okay but I mainly listen to the music. It is better than all the hair metal that was going out of style at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to dissagree with that statement. There were quite a few cds released by hair bands in that era which I would consider on the same level as Headless Cross.

In my opinion, the hair bands/glam rockers of the mid to late 80s are often overlooked by people today and most rock/metal listeners I know.

[ QUOTE ]
    In my opinion, the hair bands/glam rockers of the mid to late 80s are often overlooked by people today and most rock/metal listeners I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I agree with that. There are LOT of great "hair metal" bands/albums.

HC is better than them, though. Hell, HC is better than almost everything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I've heard that Headless Cross sounds like "everything else" there was in the 80's. Please tell me some bands/songs/records, cos I'd like to hear that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

It stands to reason when you listen to a band called Black Sabbath that the subject matter of the lyrics will lean heavily toward religious themes. This has been the case since the first song on the first album, so it is not a new theme on Headless Cross. Some albums tend to have more (and others less) Satan references than others and Headless Cross is one of the heavier doses. I don't have a strong feeling regarding the lyrics either way.

I do find the constant F word usage by Ozzy on the recent Reunion CD completely unbearable, so when you say that Headless Cross bugs you and you can't listen to it, I can relate, even when I don't share your opinion exactly.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Yes, I think thematically it does get a bit repetitive, but it oesn't really put me off listening to it.