Thread: War Pigs Lyrics

brad123

Default War Pigs Lyrics

Hello all, I'm currently a senior in high school and have been a sabbath fan for about 5 years now. Anyways In my government class our teacher gave us an assignment to find one politcal song and bring it in, but we have to know what the lyrics mean. And the song I thought of first was War Pigs. I know the song is about anti-war but can anyone help me decifer all the lyrics? Thanks!

Default Re: War Pigs Lyrics

hmmmm
    i guess that wouldnt be too hard. I havent got anything better to do so ill post the lyrics and give my interperetation of them:

"Generals gathered in their masses,
    just like witches at black masses."
    - notice how here we see soldiers being compared to cultists. making them look brainwashed (not reflecting well on said government)

"Evil minds that plot destruction,
    sorcerers of death's construction."
    - Again, comparing governments to cults. this time refering to the plotting, and sorcerers, focusing more so on the leaders or the soldiers. also, depicting a covenant with death, making it look like they are there to cause only chaos and evil

"In the fields the bodies burning,
    as the war machine keeps turning."
    - talking about consiquecne of war. notice how they say "bodies BURNING", another cult or sataic reference. Also, refering to the war effort as a "war machine" making it look artificial and inhuman

"Death and hatred to mankind,
    poisoning their brainwashed minds.
    Oh lord, yeah!"
    - all this is basically reinforcing the idea of a government acting like a cult, and talking about brainwasking in a more odvious way. im not sure why there is a reference to god though, possibly trying to put forward the idea of the vocalist talking from an "innocent" point of view

"Politicians hide themselves away.
    They only started the war."
    - taking a shot at politicians, calling them cowardly. it seems to talk about ignorance and how politicians dont know the full effect fo what they are doing

"Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that role to the poor, yeah."
    - rhetorical question, a very strong way of arguing a point. reignforcing the point of politians hiding and condeming the soldiers instead of themselves

"Time will tell on their power minds,
    making war just for fun."
    - I guess black sabbath just beleive in karma, lol. here we see the idea of the governments eventually being punished. how? this is possibly another religious reference where the person talking is taking a christian point of veiw (because the actions of the governments may be seen as evil in the point of view).

"Treating people just like pawns in chess,
    wait till their judgement day comes, yeah."
    - again, talking about a lack of respect for the soldiers and not having a good idea about their actions. and another reference to how they may be punished in the future

"Now in darkness world stops turning,
    ashes where the bodies burning."
    - basically, this is saying how the war efforts have fucked up the world (excuse my french). another reference to burning, ashes and darkness, again, giving the idea of a cult

"No more War Pigs have the power,
    Hand of God has struck the hour."
    - talking abou thte consiquence of their actions, and god inevidable intervention. again showing references to religion

"Day of judgement, God is calling,
    on their knees the war pigs crawling."
    - talking again about karma and results of actions. and omg another god reference!

"Begging mercies for their sins,
    Satan, laughing, spreads his wings.
    Oh lord, yeah!"
    - CULT CULT CULT! notice the quick transition between a reference to god and a reference to satan. the lyrics in this song are trying to show large comparisons using relisious references.

wow, i never noticed how anti-cultist this song can be, or atleast thats how i interperated it. I hope that helped dude, but remember, thats completely my point of view so im not neccessarily "correct" on any of that, but i guess its all up to the point of view of the reader. good luck with your assignment, tell me how it goes

Very Good Interpetation Siamese. The Song War Pigs Was Pretty Much About Some Generals And High Ranking Officers Sitting Around Playing Risk On A Much Bigger Board Seeing Which Area Of Attack Could Produce The Most KickBack Of Funds.

Little Off Topic: Geezer Butler Said That Whenever The Lyrics Of Their Songs Dealt With The Occult They Were Usually Bashing Or Atleast Talking Against It.

Anyway, Good Interpretation Siamese.

Good Luck With Your Assignment Brad And If You Ever Want To Know Interepretations Just Ask Geezer Butler.

[ QUOTE ]
    Little Off Topic: Geezer Butler Said That Whenever The Lyrics Of Their Songs Dealt With The Occult They Were Usually Bashing Or Atleast Talking Against It.

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed. i was suprised after i anylised this that it took a very "christian" point of veiw. maybe people who origianlly slagged off sabbath for allegidly being accociated with the occult should have anylised the lyrics in more detail

you also make a good point with the idea of generals playing risk. i probably should have mentioned this with the qoute "treating people just like pawns in chess"

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed. i was suprised after i anylised this that it took a very "christian" point of veiw. maybe people who origianlly slagged off sabbath for allegidly being accociated with the occult should have anylised the lyrics in more detail

you also make a good point with the idea of generals playing risk. i probably should have mentioned this with the qoute "treating people just like pawns in chess"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I Loved That Line Because It Basically Does Represent How They Think. I Mean I Despise The Thought Of War, Why Bother, I Mean Wouldn't You Rather Just Get Drunk Or Get Laid Or Anything. I Wouldn't Say That Line Shows The Lack Of Respect Towards Soilders But I Would Say Towards Everyone. The Government Makes Billions & Billions Of Dollars Every War, So Do You Really Think They Give A Shit About What Any Of Us Think?

If The American Government Was Shut Down Somehow 97% Of All The Crime In This World Would Cease To Exist.

[ QUOTE ]

If The American Government Was Shut Down Somehow 97% Of All The Crime In This World Would Cease To Exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

i doubt it would be anywhere near that high

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I Loved That Line Because It Basically Does Represent How They Think. I Mean I Despise The Thought Of War, Why Bother, I Mean Wouldn't You Rather Just Get Drunk Or Get Laid Or Anything. I Wouldn't Say That Line Shows The Lack Of Respect Towards Soilders But I Would Say Towards Everyone. The Government Makes Billions & Billions Of Dollars Every War, So Do You Really Think They Give A Shit About What Any Of Us Think?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all that is a very unexpected position from a female (to me at least) and second, the governments actually lose shitloads of money in wars. unless they conquer a country they never get it back. hell, up until about 100 years ago there was a tax on one of the early colonial american wars. governments don't make money from war.

If You Say So

Governments don't directly make money from war, but they get the "kickback" when a "re-building" programme happens after a war, look at Europe after 1945, plenty of money was made, it solved the unemployment problem that happened in the 1930's.....
    Governments have been known to start a conflict to take their own people's minds off the mess that "Government" has made......After a "Financial Recession" let's have a 'little
    War", that'll sort things out........

brad123

Hey thanks everyone this will work perfect for my assignment! Thanks again, and rock on!

If you hadn't already started I would suggest Us and Them by Pink Floyd. Truly one of the greatest war songs, and songs in general, ever made. Truly beautiful.

I think Sabbath was always telling us if we do not smarten up as a civilization that we were headed for all the doom and gloom. Sabbath to my is a very spiritual band with a real message.