Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Survey: the 5 most influential heavy metal bands

Who would you say the most influential heavy metal bands are?

My top 5 would have to be:

Black Sabbath
    Metallica
    Tool
    Iron Maiden
    Ozzy (solo)
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

https://www.facebook.com/blacksabbathscarydreams

Default Re: Survey: the 5 most influential heavy metal bands

In no particular order:

Black Sabbath
    Judas Priest
    Deep Purple
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden

To me, those 5 bands are almost definitively the most influential metal bands of all time. When you ask a metal band today of its influences, one of them will pop up nearly 100% of the time (unless you ask some shit band like Limp Bizkit or something that doesn't know what the hell they're doing). I would say that the first 3 are the most influential, and the other two somewhat lesser but still vital.

1- Black Sabbath
    2-Metallica
    3-Iron Maiden
    4-Led Zeppelin
    5-Deep Purple

I mix Hard Rock with Metal here!

[ QUOTE ]
    In no particular order:

Black Sabbath
    Judas Priest
    Deep Purple
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden

To me, those 5 bands are almost definitively the most influential metal bands of all time. When you ask a metal band today of its influences, one of them will pop up nearly 100% of the time (unless you ask some shit band like Limp Bizkit or something that doesn't know what the hell they're doing). I would say that the first 3 are the most influential, and the other two somewhat lesser but still vital.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES

I agree completely

Sabbath
    Zeppelin
    Metallica
    Slayer (as much as i hat eot admit it)
    Van Halen

Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath influenced almost everybody that came afterward, but they influenced different groups of people. Purple influenced the whole NWOBHM, Sabbath influenced more the whole black/doom/thrash generation and Zeppelin influenced the more "bluesy" generation of Metal. Then we have Maiden which influenced directly the new Power Metal movement. I would add Yngwie Malmsteen , who ***practically*** created the Neo-classical movement in Metal, So:

Deep Purple
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Iron Maiden
    Yngwie malmsteen

Black Sabbath (They invented the genre, it doesn't get more influential than that)

Judas Priest

Metallica

Pantera (a huge influence on a lot of newer bands, pretty much every one of those new American metalcore acts I have heard had some Pantera in them. They were also the band which brought harsh vocals to the masses and made it standard in metal)

Motörhead (first band to combine metal with a raw punk rock edge. Something which would later become the corner stone of thrash metal and extreme metal in general. Some say that Priest is the second most influential band, but if it wasn't for Motörhead, then the metal scene would look a whole lot different)

Also I can see why people would mention Zeppelin and Purple, but they really aren't metal bands the way I see it. They might have been huge influences ON metal, but that is a whole different story [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Banned

In no particular order:

Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath
    Metallica
    Judas Priest
    Motorhead

[ QUOTE ]
    Black Sabbath (They invented the genre, it doesn't get more influential than that)... I can see why people would mention Zeppelin and Purple, but they really aren't metal bands the way I see it. They might have been huge influences ON metal, but that is a whole different story [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree... I always think of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple as "Proto-Metal", meaning they were the progenitors (fathers) of the genre without actually being classifyable as that genre.
    Do you want to encourage the Sabb Four to release a studio, demo, or official live version of "Scary Dreams" (the thus far unreleased song they debuted/performed live during their 2001 Ozzfest tour)? If so, consider becoming a fan of Scary Dreams on facebook by clicking the below link:

I can't believe that only one person has mentioned Slayer. They have been a huge influence in metal, particularly in the genres of thrash, speed, and death metal.

I will go with Rock bands and not only Metal since there was no real Metal in the 70's (my opinion).
    In no particular order:

Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Deep Purple
    AC/DC
    Judas Priest

(about the Ozzy solo, I think it started too late to be considered as a real influence)
    I'm just a man and I am what I am,
    Nobody will ever change my ways.

I find it interesting that so many people are saying Led Zeppelin. To be honest, outside of the realm of obvious Zep-copycat bands that popped up, I don't really see too many places where they really influenced metal music. Clearly they were great and a ton of people loved them, but I don't think they were really chiefly important to any particular metal movement or to metal as a whole.

Black Sabbath and all related bands
    Alice Cooper
    Judas Priest
    Motorhead
    AC/DC
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

[ QUOTE ]
    I find it interesting that so many people are saying Led Zeppelin. To be honest, outside of the realm of obvious Zep-copycat bands that popped up, I don't really see too many places where they really influenced metal music. Clearly they were great and a ton of people loved them, but I don't think they were really chiefly important to any particular metal movement or to metal as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

Banned

Yup, I agree with that too!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe not as influencial as Deep Purple (who IMO is THE most influencial band in metal. Yep, more than Sabbath), but they were certainly influencial: groups like Whitesnake, Kingdom Come, Soundgarden, Van Halen, Stone Temple Pilots , Tesla, Incubus, Cinderella, have openly admited to be directed influenced by their favorite band, LZ.

"Dazed And Confused" was a pioneer in the folk/blues movement, "Whole Lotta Love" a thousand times copied psycodelic hymn... LZ are influencial (ok, not like DP), but they were monsters in the 70s and admired and copied by a lot of people.

El Lobo, I agree with you on a lot of that stuff. Obviously there were many popular bands over the years, Whitesnake the most prominent, with visible Zeppelin influences. All I'm saying is that, while Zep was influential, I don't think they deserve to be put in the same category as some of the other bands listed above who created or perfected entire genres of music.

Zeppelin had its share of copycats, but I think that over time the number of bands directly influenced by them has been severely thinned out while the influences of bands like Purple, Sabbath, and Priest still thrive today.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe not as influencial as Deep Purple (who IMO is THE most influencial band in metal. Yep, more than Sabbath), but they were certainly influencial: groups like Whitesnake, Kingdom Come, Soundgarden, Van Halen, Stone Temple Pilots , Tesla, Incubus, Cinderella, have openly admited to be directed influenced by their favorite band, LZ.

"Dazed And Confused" was a pioneer in the folk/blues movement, "Whole Lotta Love" a thousand times copied psycodelic hymn... LZ are influencial (ok, not like DP), but they were monsters in the 70s and admired and copied by a lot of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I guess this depends on what bands you consider metal. Most people would consider most of the bands you listed "hard rock" and not "metal". If you consider them metal, that's cool and I'm not going to dispute you, but in my mind none of those bands are metal.

I've always thought of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath as the three most influential bands on heavy metal music. To make it five I'll add Iron Maiden and Slayer.
    >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
    SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
    YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
    YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

I'm going to go out a limb here...

Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple (Both Purple and Sabbath had ultra-simple riffs that'd be imitated a lot IMO)
    Jimi Hendrix (Pretty much started it all)
    Rage Against the Machine (influenced more recent bands)
    Iron Maiden (although I don't like them, a lot of bands are definitely influenced by them)

I don't consider Led Zeppelin to be anywhere near metal. Since I write music and play guitar, and my style is influences by sabbath more than any other bands combines times 100, I can say that sabbath is the most influential. But Zeppelin influences me lyrically a lot. Maybe it the music isn't inspried by them, certainly some words are. Same with Pink Floyd, but that's a different matter.

I have the same list as Prezuiwf.

And Led Zeppelin, I don't think they were that influental. Of course they were and are hugely popular, but I don't hear that much Zep influence on metal bands. Lyrically maybe but not musically that much.
    Don't care which God you follow, whose promises you swallow.

FJam, I was waiting for someone to say Rage Against the Machine! Those guys are incredibly influential as well.

Banned
    City:Jacareí State:São Paulo Country:Brasil

BLACK SABBATH
    DEEP PURPLE
    RUSH
    IRON MAIDEN
    THIN LIZZY

without forgetting

Judas Priest
    Wishbone Ash
    Led Zeppelin
    Jethro Tull
    Metallica

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the same list as Prezuiwf.

And Led Zeppelin, I don't think they were that influental. Of course they were and are hugely popular, but I don't hear that much Zep influence on metal bands. Lyrically maybe but not musically that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimi page influenced many heavy metal guitarists

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimi page influenced many heavy metal guitarists

[/ QUOTE ]
    So? Django Reinhardt influenced Tony Iommi. Does that make him an influential rock guitarist?

Yeah, but Zeppelin have probably influenced more Hard rock
    bands, like The Cult, Kings of Leon, The Datsuns etc..

The only song that Zep did that was really Heavy Metal was
    "The Immigrant Song" from Led Zep III...

and I'm a big Zep fan, I think they influenced people to play Guitar, bass and drums wether or not those people, like me, went on to play Heavy Metal is another story......

Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin
    Motorhead
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest

Black Sabbath
    Metallica
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Pantera

Black Sabbath
    Alice Cooper
    Judas Priest
    Metallica
    Ozzy Osbourne

black sabbath
    iron maiden
    ac/dc
    cream
    deep purple

Banned

You must know another band called Cream, because the band I know called Cream certainly aren't a heavy metal band.

I'll suggest a few that haven't been mentioned that were huge influence on developing thrash/death/black metal scene in particular but also to power metal etc:

Diamond Head
    Venom
    Mercyful Fate

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Van Halen; they pretty much began the whole Hair Metal thing.

[ QUOTE ]
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned Van Halen; they pretty much began the whole Hair Metal thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I might want to replace Maiden on my list with Van Halen. They came before Maiden and influenced a lot more bands and guitarists than Maiden did.

It's a tough choice, though.

Black Sabbath can be put in a trio of metal creators (with Zeppelin and Purple) and in a trio of metal developers (with judas priest and iron maiden), so I think is the most influential band.
    The other four will be Iron Maiden, Metallica,Motorhead,and IMO Carcass (influential to the metal playing today)

Banned
    City:Jacareí State:São Paulo Country:Brasil

Yeah! Carcass was big, but everybody was deaf when they existed 'cos their sound was too uncompromising. Only 6 or 7 years after their demise is that their impact on metal scene was noticed.

Great Carcass!

I don't really get why you think Carcass is one of the most influential metal bands. Surely they were influential, but the only genre on which they had a clear influence is gore metal which at best is just a niche of the death metal genre.