Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why Ozzy Did not Sing Other Black Sabbath eras songs?

Why Ozzy Did not Sing any Other Black Sabbath eras songs?
    Ronnie James Dio or Tony Martin always sing songs like Paranoid,War Pigs and other songs but i never see Ozzy sing songs like Dio Young or Anno Mundi...Why?
    he can't sing as well as Ronnie or Martin ?
    he dont like the other eras songs?
    ect?

Default Re: Why Ozzy Did not Sing Other Black Sabbath eras song

Well, first, I think he doesn't want to. Remember what he said about how he felt when he saw Dio with Sabbath. It was a bit like seeing your ex-wife with some other guy. If you ever get back with your wife, would you like putting the other guy's clothes on if she asked you ? Seen this way, I can understand why Ozzy might be reluctant about singing the other eras material, but I still find it pretty disrespectfull for Geezer , Bill and mainly Tony who wrote some amazing music without him but aren't allowed to perform it onstage because the Ozzman won't do it.

On the other hand, Ozzy's voice has gotten pretty weak these past few years. He barely manages to perform his own catalogue (solo or with Sabbath) correctly, so don't even think of him trying to do somez Dio or Martin material which are way more difficult, vocally speaking.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

And by the way, Dio never performed anything written by those who came after him either. When he came back in 1991/1992, he only ang songs from his own era along with the 70s Ozzy classics. All the Gillan, Hughes and Martin tears were forgotten.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.

Come on, I know that this topic has been talked about at least a dozen times on this board.

Here are the reasons Ozzy does not sing post Ozzy-era songs:

1. He does not consider the post Ozzy-era real Black Sabbath

2. Those singers are all far more technically accomplished than Ozzy, so he'd be unable to sing most of the songs anyway.

3. Ozzy sticks to a rigid setlist that he does not like to deviate from.

4. It is extremely rare for the "popular" singer to rejoin his old band and sing his replacements' songs. Iron Maiden is one of the few exceptions (Tony Martin singing songs from "Dehumanizer" does not count because Tony Martin was never the "popular" singer in Black Sabbath). For example, you do not hear Joey Belladonna sing John Bush songs on the Anthrax reunion tour, you don't hear Halford sing songs from the Ripper-fronted albums at a Judas Priest show, and you don't hear Ian Gillian singing songs from "Burn" or "Stormbringer" or "Come Taste The Band".

5. Those other singers sing Ozzy-era songs because they joined an established band and cannot simply ignore its most popular era. You couldn't sing for Sabbath and pretend like the Ozzy-era did not happen because the Ozzy-era is what Sabbath is best known for. Ozzy can ignore the stuff that followed him because its nowhere near as popular as what he did. The majority of the people who go to see Sabbath in concert expect to hear "Paranoid" or "War Pigs" or "Black Sabbath" no matter who is singing. They don't go see Sabbath with Ozzy singing and expect to hear somthing from "Seventh Star" or "Tyr".

[ QUOTE ]
    It is extremely rare for the "popular" singer to rejoin his old band and sing his replacements' songs. Iron Maiden is one of the few exceptions (Tony Martin singing songs from "Dehumanizer" does not count because Tony Martin was never the "popular" singer in Black Sabbath). For example, you do not hear Joey Belladonna sing John Bush songs on the Anthrax reunion tour, you don't hear Halford sing songs from the Ripper-fronted albums at a Judas Priest show, and you don't hear Ian Gillian singing songs from "Burn" or "Stormbringer" or "Come Taste The Band".

[/ QUOTE ]

True, and this makes the Bruce Dickinson case the most bizarre of the lot. I mean, the man must be one of the biggest ego on the rock scene, but still he sings material from the Blaze era ever since he came back in the band (and does it bloody well. I remember hearing "The Clansman" in Paris on the 9/9/99 reunion show, and I got goosebump !)

Thinking of Gillan, didn't I read somewhere that he has sung "Burn" onstage some times ?

[ QUOTE ]
    Thinking of Gillan, didn't I read somewhere that he has sung "Burn" onstage some times ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I read on the Q&A on Gillian's website that he doesn't do those songs because he doesn't feel he can do them "justice". Maybe he did them a long time ago, but he doesn't do them now.

AFAIK, Gillan singing Burn was only a rumour.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I'm not sure but maybe some people here can enlighten me about Motley Crue and Van Halen. Also Halford said he would have no problem singing Tim Owen's stuff, although some people are skeptical about that. Also what about KISS. When they reunited with Ace & Peter did they only play the classic stuff or did they play the other stuff?
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

[ QUOTE ]
    Also what about KISS. When they reunited with Ace & Peter did they only play the classic stuff or did they play the other stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

They never played anything from other lineups when I saw them, which was in '96, '97 and '99.
    >>TECHNICIńNS ÷F SPŇCE
    SHIP EŇRTH THIS IS
    Y÷‹R CńPTŇIN SPEńKING
    Y÷‹R ōŇPTŇIN IS DEA˝D<<

I doubt that Motley Crue does any of the John Corabi material live since that album was a commercial failure.

As for Van Halen, I'm sure that Hagar does not sing any of the Cherone stuff. He might sing the DLR stuff, but that's a different situation because Hagar replaced Roth in VH. But the Hagar stuff was even more commercially successful than the Roth stuff, so Hagar might not sing any of the Roth stuff, although I'm sure he did on the earlier tours.

Hagar definately sings Roth songs, and I don't think he can do them well at all. Roth is the only person in the world who can sing like himself.

Well, I think in the 70's Ozzy could do justice to Anno Mundi or just Die YOung, but now... he canīt really handle his own material, which is a shame..

PS: Bruce Dickinson singing for Paul Dianno musics is really awful..
    And that's why John Lynner Tunner have my respect. When he joined Purple, he did Burn, and not only Gillan material.
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

[ QUOTE ]
    Also Halford said he would have no problem singing Tim Owen's stuff, although some people are skeptical about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one that really burns me. Lots of fans were excited to see Halford try some Owens stuff, but now even Owens says that that'll never happen.

I don't think you can bash him for the AOR tour cause it was a reunion tour. I know technically Ozzfest 04 was the reunion tour but that was last minute
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Basically,I would never want Ozzy(today anyway) to sing a Dio/Gillan/Hughes/Martin song.It would just sound horrible.Just as stated before,he csn barely sing his own material.

[ QUOTE ]
    Basically,I would never want Ozzy(today anyway) to sing a Dio/Gillan/Hughes/Martin song.It would just sound horrible.Just as stated before,he csn barely sing his own material.

[/ QUOTE ]

on that note i have a theory, did u guys who have the ozzfest dvd, notice how ozzy was walking way better and acting more fluently than on the last supper dvd, well im thinking that as all the toxins come out of his body, hes been able to get more fluent movement back, so, if he were to rest for a while, along with him already not drinking or drugs, he may get his voice back.... dont know whats your thoughts, this then would be able to allow him to do justice to his era's other great songs that they dont do now.... just a thought thats all
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Nah... my teory is:

He is so fucked up, that every time he hurt himself again, his body destroy the wrecked parts, so he kind of regenerate as Wolverine. Check out... after he fall of his moped and broke his bones, he's a little better.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

on that note i have a theory, did u guys who have the ozzfest dvd, notice how ozzy was walking way better and acting more fluently than on the last supper dvd, well im thinking that as all the toxins come out of his body, hes been able to get more fluent movement back, so, if he were to rest for a while, along with him already not drinking or drugs, he may get his voice back.... dont know whats your thoughts, this then would be able to allow him to do justice to his era's other great songs that they dont do now.... just a thought thats all

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how much resting and recupperating that he could do, he would NEVER be able to do justice to any of the other era's in my opinion. His voice is shot to pieces now, and no amount of rest could bring back his voice of old.

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also Halford said he would have no problem singing Tim Owen's stuff, although some people are skeptical about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one that really burns me. Lots of fans were excited to see Halford try some Owens stuff, but now even Owens says that that'll never happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's a shame that we will never get to hear any of the Owens era stuff sung live again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It's my favourite Priest era.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No matter how much resting and recupperating that he could do, he would NEVER be able to do justice to any of the other era's in my opinion. His voice is shot to pieces now, and no amount of rest could bring back his voice of old.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont kno, like if u see on the last supper, hes like really really staring at the teleprompter all the time, while on the ozzfest dvd hes runing and singin not shuffling and singing..... and not looking as much at the teleprompter

oh i just remembered somethinng about the teleprompter too....... if you pause the ozzfest dvd while paranoid is being performed or just after it, it has "sleeping Village" on the screen... very wierd is it
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont kno, like if u see on the last supper, hes like really really staring at the teleprompter all the time, while on the ozzfest dvd hes runing and singin not shuffling and singing..... and not looking as much at the teleprompter

oh i just remembered somethinng about the teleprompter too....... if you pause the ozzfest dvd while paranoid is being performed or just after it, it has "sleeping Village" on the screen... very wierd is it

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about his stage presence though. I was talking about his voice.

yeah what i was meaning was that he can move around and sing now, when he was really strugglin back in 97 to move and sing....
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Banned

Well he can move around now, but I wouldn't exactly say he can sing.

im a big fan of ozzy... really really big fan, and im saying this now, or really asking this, could he really sing in the first place??
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Banned

Eh? Yes, he used to have a very good voice that suited the music that Sabbath made in 70's very well. However, his voice is now shot to pieces. That's all i'm saying. I don't see what point you are trying to make.

point being that, he has been of the drugs/booze for a while now, and he has gained some fluent motion back, in time i can see him getting his voice back too thats all
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Banned

Ok. Well I can't see it, but you are entitled to hope.

oh yeah, ive got a lot of hope mate, heaps and heaps of hope.... better voice means touring, maybe even a world tour, so ive got a shit load of hope
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Banned

Good for you.

I really don't mind about Ozzy do other eras songs... if his voice get better, I hope he do his own material, such as Air Dance, Sympton Of The Universe, Shock Wave, Killing Yourself To Live...
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Would you want Sabbath doing Ozzy stuff .. Diary Of A Madman may work ?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Err... No ! It's funny how so many people wouldn't mind Sabbath doing Ozzy solo material while they would hate to hear Sabbath do any Geezer or Bill solo. Black Sabbath plays Black Sabbath's music, that's it. There is 18 albums worth of material on the whole career, and 8 if you only count the albums featuring Ozzy on vocals. Isn't it enough ? Why on earth would you want Sabbath to borrow from another catalogue while they have barely played one third of their material live ?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Err... No ! It's funny how so many people wouldn't mind Sabbath doing Ozzy solo material while they would hate to hear Sabbath do any Geezer or Bill solo. Black Sabbath plays Black Sabbath's music, that's it. There is 18 albums worth of material on the whole career, and 8 if you only count the albums featuring Ozzy on vocals. Isn't it enough ? Why on earth would you want Sabbath to borrow from another catalogue while they have barely played one third of their material live ?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly said!

I'm going to say this. Once your voice is gone, its gone! Ozzy's voice has just aged. Nothing can be done.

Too bad Rejuvination clinics don't exist yet, Ozzy would be a good candidate. LOL. Joking aside, wonder what Trashed would sound like if he did it.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

I reckon itd be interesting for them to do a show showcasing a song from each of their solo careers. Infact, I think it would be interesting for them to do a show.

anyway, I think we can safely say that alot of the non ozzy ear sab songs would lose alot of their feel if ozzy sang them. When ozzy left they seemed to adopt a whole new style. im not saying they were worse or better, just different

Ozzy was always a very limited singer. Anyone who believes differently is just deluding themselves.

He'll never sing those songs, and anyone who would want to hear him try is a glutton for punishment. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    I reckon itd be interesting for them to do a show showcasing a song from each of their solo careers. Infact, I think it would be interesting for them to do a show.

anyway, I think we can safely say that alot of the non ozzy ear sab songs would lose alot of their feel if ozzy sang them. When ozzy left they seemed to adopt a whole new style. im not saying they were worse or better, just different

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i noticed that, i was like, well this is different, so much so that when a couple of mates were over i had to get the cd and put it into the cd player for them to believe that it was sabbath,
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly said!

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
    -rar

[ QUOTE ]
    Ozzy was always a very limited singer. Anyone who believes differently is just deluding themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, between 1969/75 Ozzy could reach every note he needed to. Off course, he was never able to perform Child In Time, but what the hell.. Ozzy's voice is fucked up now, but when he was a delinquent kid, his voice was just high and louder.

[ QUOTE ]
    Joking aside, wonder what Trashed would sound like if he did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 70's voice? Pretty interesting... today?.. Trashed would sound... thrashed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world