Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have you ever met anyone from Black Sabbath?

My friend met Ozzy in Pittsburgh at a record store....

but I met Geezer at Ozzfest last year. Nice guy to boot. I was outside the fence at the FYE tent where Tony and him were doing autographs. Iommi wanted to go but Geezer was still signing for people. I started to take pictures and he saw me doing this so he decided to come over the fence and do a couple autographs and he only did two! This kid said Tony you are great! I looked at the kid and thought what arse you and Geezer looked kinda ed too. Then he said i will do one more and I am done. He pointed to me and siad you. I gladly handed my ticket to him to sign. Earlier it was sign by Juylia from FuseTv who was doing an interview with In Flames.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Default Re: Have you ever met anyone from Black Sabbath?

I have not personally met any of the members, but I have a cool story regarding Bill Ward:

Long story, but several years ago I'd been exchanging letters with Bill for a few months, when I was hospitalized with a serious injury. When Bill got the first letter from me while I was recuperating, he responded to it by speaking for about 30 minutes into a tape recorder, and mailed me the tape. Needless to say, I was completely knocked out by it! keep in mind this was way before the time of Podcasts.

For those that don't know it by now, Bill is an incredibly kind, giving guy and it's something that I will never, ever forget. He spoke freely of some of the trying times in his life and was genuinely concerned for my health and well being.

I have yet to meet Bill in person, but I hope to someday, so that I can thank him in person, not only for the huge lift that gave me at a very low time in my life, but for the impact that he's had on my life through his music and drumming over the years.
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

I met Eric Singer at an Alice Cooper concert but thats it.

[ QUOTE ]
    I have not personally met any of the members, but I have a cool story regarding Bill Ward:

Long story, but several years ago I'd been exchanging letters with Bill for a few months, when I was hospitalized with a serious injury. When Bill got the first letter from me while I was recuperating, he responded to it by speaking for about 30 minutes into a tape recorder, and mailed me the tape. Needless to say, I was completely knocked out by it! keep in mind this was way before the time of Podcasts.

For those that don't know it by now, Bill is an incredibly kind, giving guy and it's something that I will never, ever forget. He spoke freely of some of the trying times in his life and was genuinely concerned for my health and well being.

I have yet to meet Bill in person, but I hope to someday, so that I can thank him in person, not only for the huge lift that gave me at a very low time in my life, but for the impact that he's had on my life through his music and drumming over the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. I would probably cry if I ever got something like that from one of my favorite musicians.

Anyway I met Tony Iommi at Ozzfest last year at the assembly li-- I mean autograph booth. I would've liked to meet Geezer too but I wasnt about to plunk down $20 for his crappy solo cd just for the chance.

I also met Bobby Rondinelli at a Lizards show a few months back. I brought my Cross Purposes CD that day, hoping I could get it autographed. Me and these two guys who were obsessed with Rainbow were talking with him for a few minutes, and he signed whatever we had. He did an amazing drum solo that night.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That must have been quite an experience! I have never heard a unkind word about Bill Ward. He is from all accounts a very nice guy.
    Life Member of the NRA

[ QUOTE ]
    That must have been quite an experience! I have never heard a unkind word about Bill Ward. He is from all accounts a very nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also happens to be one crazy motherfucker of a brilliant drummer. An individual innovation of rock metal drumming!

I've only met Ozzy at an in store promotion signing of the Ozzman Commeth (we had to buy a copy before we could join the que for a signiture - I got a vinyl copy of Dairy Of A Madman signed). I gave a mate a camera and he didn't know that the button had to be held down longer than a second for it to go off (and he was nervous) so I could get a shot with Oz. After the click flash not going off after a couple of attempts, Ozzy goes "He said don't work man" and people within earshot cracked up. By this time I swore at my mate who was bright red in the face, to just hold the fucking button down until it clicked and when it went off, I let out a huge breath of air and apologised to Ozzy and he chuckled (probably because an apology was not needed). He was a calm and appreciative bloke was Ozzy considering he has to do these things many times year after year while extremely jet lagged!

I've met Ian Gillan once, and then Tony Martin and Geoff Nicholls at another gig.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

[ QUOTE ]
    I've met Ian Gillan once, and then Tony Martin and Geoff Nicholls at another gig.

[/ QUOTE ]

You russian bastard [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

No, unfortunately...:( I'd love to meet the entire first line-up, Dio, and possibly Ian Gillan.
    -rar

This probably sounds corny. Never did, my friend did to get GZR's autograph, but at night when everyone was yelling Ozzy, I yelled out top of my lungs "TONY, TONY, TONY!" and I think Tony heard me from where he was standing from where I was sitting at the lawn seats. He smiled, probably wondered who yelled at him, but there were probably others after me yelling.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

i think i could really talk to ozz if i had the chance cause he reminds me of me dad, yeah hes a bit slow at times, and bumbly (wtf?, u know what i mean) on the other hand, tony iommi, he just has an aura of such greatness that i would stumle my words, or wouldnt be myself, bill would be the same, but not as striking, id just have a joke with geezer, dio on the other hand, seems to be just like tony iommi aswell,
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Face to face, I met Tony, Geezer, & Bill last year at the Dallas Ozzfest show.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/tourdates/2005/082505.html

I've talked to several on the telephone, and emailed about half the people who have been in Sabbath.

I mean when he was alive, Cozy Powell called me on the phone at work and asked me to work on his website - that was f'in cool.

Geezer & Gloria Butler sent my wife and I a really nice bouquet of flowers when our daughter was born, and Gloria sent us a really nice assortment of Godiva chocolates this past Christmas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

[ QUOTE ]

I've talked to several on the telephone, and emailed about half the people who have been in Sabbath.

I mean when he was alive, Cozy Powell called me on the phone at work and asked me to work on his website - that was f'in cool.

Geezer & Gloria Butler sent my wife and I a really nice bouquet of flowers when our daughter was born, and Gloria sent us a really nice assortment of Godiva chocolates this past Christmas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You not spoken to Ozzy then Joe?

No, I have not. Ozzy was nowhere to be found at that gig. His bus (or whatever he was in) was NOWHERE near Tony, Geezer's, & Bill's - which were all next to each other.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

[ QUOTE ]
    No, I have not. Ozzy was nowhere to be found at that gig. His bus (or whatever he was in) was NOWHERE near Tony, Geezer's, & Bill's - which were all next to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you think Ozzy keeps himself in this bubble or it's inposed by Sharon?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Do you think Ozzy keeps himself in this bubble or it's inposed by Sharon?

Who cares?

Who cares?

I would care!! *pulls here hair out* I'd love to meet them all, but Ozzy's the one who I would really love to meet...

But that's so cool that Geezer is so close to you. May I ask how that happened? Was it the website or did you meet them a long time ago?

I would care!! *pulls here hair out* I'd love to meet them all, but Ozzy's the one who I would really love to meet...

But that's so cool that Geezer is so close to you. May I ask how that happened? Was it the website or did you meet them a long time ago?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Congratulations Joe!!! It must be an honor to know them.

I Like your Review page to, very descriptive.

I'm proud to announce that I've met both TM and GN [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm proud to announce that I've met both TM and GN [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Website. Plus Gloria and Geezer are far more "real" people than their reptuation would be. They've been very nice to me, when they don't have to.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Website. Plus Gloria and Geezer are far more "real" people than their reptuation would be. They've been very nice to me, when they don't have to.

Nope.

Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it must be not only humbling to run geezers website, but really humbling when he IS thankful, not just saying thanks for that, but when you recieve gifts and cards and stuff, that would make me feel on the same level as them, as like they arent thinking ok well hes done this, done that, thanks but im still geezer, its like mates, more or less, it would be a great feeling no doubt
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it must be not only humbling to run geezers website, but really humbling when he IS thankful, not just saying thanks for that, but when you recieve gifts and cards and stuff, that would make me feel on the same level as them, as like they arent thinking ok well hes done this, done that, thanks but im still geezer, its like mates, more or less, it would be a great feeling no doubt
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Yeah I know...If Geezer (Or Ozzy if I could choose lol) would say anything respectful to me, I would be humbled...Joe is so lucky..

I would say having your name mentioned in the booklet of a Sabbath CD directly from the members is quite the acoplishment. Congratulations Joe!!!

I just realized that this thread is in the Ozzy era forum, I'm moving it to Sab General, as it's not realy just about the Ozzy era.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Yes it's cool - and I don't usually talk about it, because someone will ultimately accuse me of ego tripping. Which my religion and my own personal code tries to keep me from doing. But since we're on the subject, I'll mention some of the stuff they've done for me.

One of the cooler guys to me has been Neil Murray. Neil goes out of his way to answer questions, and just generally chit chat. He emailed me when he had some health problems, and we've chatted about stuff totally unrelated to music. He also sent me a vinyl copy of an album he was on years ago in a band called Gogmagog. He said it was his only copy.

The ones I've had the most contact with have probably been Tony Martin, Neil Murray, & Cozy Powell when he was alive. I have a few of their cel phone numbers in mine, which is REALLY cool, and I try not to abuse that.

Gloria & Geezer probably have a lot, whenever I talk to Gloria about something professional, she always asks me how my daughter is doing, how I'm feeling, etc. Totally unrelated shit. But the flowers for my child's birth, and the gift at Christmas were totally unexpected, and both of us were blown away by it. Geezer tends to chat about Doctor Who, football, and beer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I got an email link from Geezer the other day showing me this new toy that's coming out in the UK related to the most recent series of Doctor Who. I had seen it, but the fact he sent it to me is pretty cool too - that he thinks of me as someone he can just send Amazon links to saying "Check this shit out".

Their rock star stereotypes are definitely not on display when I've dealt with them. Sure, there was some of that when I met them at Ozzfest, but shit, they were playing that night, and they other things to do besides talk to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I say Bill Ward has been the most kind to me. He's helped me out with a few personal issues which I will NOT discuss here. I mean shit, one time on Bill's radio show, I got asked to call in a couple of years ago just so he and I could sing happy Birthday to Ozzy on his show. If you go to Bill's site and click on the "Sounds" link in the menu, there's an mp3 of that there.

I've had Bob Daisley call me on the phone from Australia to just talk about tunes. Even Sharon Osbourne's office has been nice to me, despite her reptuation. Other folks I've had some sort of contact with:

Don Airey: A few emails here and there. At one point I was going to do his website, but that fell through. I did email him after seeing Deep Purple most recently in Dallas to say I enjoyed the show. He wrote me back.

Vinny Appice: The odd email once or twice.

Laurence Cottle: Exchanged a few emails with him and his wife about Headless Cross stuff.

Bob Daisley: Nice chap, gave me some good insight into the Eternal Idol sessions on the phone.

Tony Iommi: I deal fairly regularly with his staff - I'm told Tony is not much of a computer person, but has seen the site, he told me as much when I met him last August.

Tony Martin: I did offer to do his website after his former site with Daniela Pilic fell apart. He ended up doing something on his own, but emails me pretty frequently.

Neil Murray: Discussed above. Been a nice friend for about a decade now.

Geoff Nicholls: Had just a couple of emails recently, mostly about cats (he's a huge cat person).

Cozy Powell: See above.

Bobby Rondinelli: Spoke once or twice, a couple of emails - he gave me his cel phone number. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Eric Singer: Nice to talk to - rather direct with his chats. Had some nice insights into Seventh Star & Eternal Idol on the phone.

Dave Spitz: Exchanged a couple of emails many years ago, lost contact.

Adam Wakeman: Sends emails somewhat regularly, telling me what he's up to.

Bill Ward: See above.

Also, I did get emails from Jon Lord & Roger Glover of Deep Purple - but this was back in 1997 or so. Purple was pretty out in front of having their band presence online. The first I ever found was Megadeth.

An honorable mention goes to Pedro Howse, who took really great care of me and my friend getting me onstage with Sabbath this past Ozzfest tour. That was way beyond what he had to do (which was NOTHING, really).

So yeah, I've had contact with a bunch of people, but I think this is the only time I've ever detailed it here.

Oh, the first time I ever got a check from Bill Ward back in 1997 for website stuff, I said "Thanks man, this repays me for all the albums of yours I bought over the years". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But the answer to the original question in this thread:

Face to face in person, I've met Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, & Bill Ward. Just once. August 2005. Plenty of phone and email convos otherwise, but "met" in the true definition of the word - just once.

Wow, amazing. Then again, it's something to expect when you're dealing with the webmaster of THE Black Sabbath site. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wow, amazing. Then again, it's something to expect when you're dealing with the webmaster of THE Black Sabbath site. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Most of you will probably think I'm full of shit but my girlfriends mom actually hung out with Black Sabbath and shit in the early 70s or something (I don't remember what she said.)

I was pretty shocked when she told me, considering their my favorite band of all time and all.

Edit: I just realized I said early 60s, which doesn't make since because neither my girlfriends mom or black sabbath were really around during that period

Black Sabbath was around in the early 70's.
    I'm just a man and I am what I am,
    Nobody will ever change my ways.

I know, I was referring to early 60s, guess I should edit it again.

Wow, Joe, you're so lucky...

[ QUOTE ]
    I know, I was referring to early 60s, guess I should edit it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early 60's? Not a chance. They didn't exist then.