Default Video Game Music

OK this might seem kind've weird, but does anyone have an odd appreciation for music in video games? I find them catchy sometimes. An example would be the Mario Bros. Theme song, but who doesn't love that?

Reason I say this is with systems like the Gamecube, PS2, etc. real music can be used instead of the old music that was made with sounds and stuff (In NES SNES, etc.) In Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, the entire soundtrack was made just for that game and it's kinda cool because some of the tunes are catchy.

Anybody else find video game music catchy?

I thought of this when I was thinking how bored I am on here lately because topics are dying a bit and new topics are forming but I haven't had anything to say on them yet. That's why I posted this.
    -rar

Default Re: Video Game Music

Legend Of Zeld anyone?
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Anything from Sonic games, from the old ones to the new ones.

Mario Bros. are awesome too
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Doom I & II. Love every beat of that music. Very metal inspired.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

I may add maybe my fav ever: Heroes of might and magic II/III/IV. Great music. Music for HMM V is not that good IMO.

Mega Man music, MM3 theme comes to mind, think I might want to cover that. There was a theme for Ducktails video game on NES when you got to the moon, man that kick ass. Zelda is a staple. Final Fantasy has it's moments (Cid Highwind's theme in FF7, and the beginning theme for most of the games if they used it)...
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Virtually everything released by Capcom in the late 80's/early-to-mid 90's had music that was metal inspired, as they were all big metal fans at that company. In fact, Final Fight has charaters whose names are tributes to Guns N Roses and King Diamond.

My favorite soundtracks are Final Fight and Mega Man X.

Little Mega Man facts for you Prezzy since you brought up him and Guns N Roses:

1) In Mega Man X3, the Neon Tiger level is basically an instrumental version of "My Michelle".

2) All the names of the Maverick bosses in X5 are based on GNR members (ie: Axl the Red is a walking rose). This was only true in the American version; they had different names in the Japanese version.

I also have an appreciation for video game music too, seeing how I've been playing since the early 90s. A few series come to mind when thinking of great music.

<u>Mega Man</u>
    If there was one game series that was always guranteed to have a catchy tune, it was definitely Mega Man. Nothing more to say.

<u>Legend of Zelda</u>
    The main theme from the NES game has now become one that conveys a sense of an epic journey thanks to its arrangement in each subsequent game. But the series has always brought a sense of quality to the composition. MY favourites at the moment are Zelda 2's palace theme, Link to the Past's dark world overworld and Ocarina of Time's Gerudo Valley. But most of the soundtracks are memorable.

<u>Castlevania</u>
    I've been playing this series A LOT lately. What only came to me recently is the style of music in the older NES and SNES titles. I'm finding that they have pretty complex arrangements and time signatures, giving the songs a tinge of progressive rock. Castlevania 4, additionally, also did a good job at composing a soundtrack that fit the mood for everything (eerie organ as you approach the castle entrance, the hum once the path to Dracula appears). Anyone who loves symphonic rock ought to check out some music from Symphony of the Night (though it's not just rock; there's a lot of diversity).

Final Fantasy 4, 6 and 7. Nuff said!

Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 10, and Kingdom Hearts would definatly have to be my choices for favorite game music. These are the few games that I can actually stand listening to the music from when I'm not playing the game.

However, I do dig the one Mario theme song quite a bit and I find myself playing it in my head every now and then.

[ QUOTE ]
    Final Fantasy 4, 6 and 7. Nuff said!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

http://www.directsong.com/prey

There's some absolutely excellent music in this.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Indeed! thanks Joe.

I love the Street Fighter music, particularly Cammy's theme.

Also the Dark World theme on Zelda: Link to the Past is awesome.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Have to say Sonic games are great, Mario games, Legend of Zelda isn't too bad. I liked the earlier Mario Party games as well but when they got the gamecube they became more ... at a loss for words but it just didn't sound as fun.
    -rar

Mario Party 4 is great
    5 wasn't very good beat that in three days
    6 a little childish
    1 truly was the best

haven't played 2,3, or 7
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

1 was indeed one of the best. 3 was also very great. 2 was almost as great. 4 was ok but you could see it leading into what was 5 and 6. Donkey Kong was out of playability after 4 so I didn't like that. 7 is actually better than I expected, given 5 and 6. I own them all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    -rar

I like the music in the game Fable.