Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Well...this album gets so much negative attention...Well let's look at this then...
    Forbidden (as you all know) was Black Sabbath's last studio album made (so far). It is often seen as it's worst-which I don't think it's true. It had a killer line up of Iommi/Nicholls/Murray/Powell/Martin, and the album itself had a really neat cover... The only thing I don't like about it is the echo voices on "Can't Get Close Enough To You"... I never minded that Ice-T was on there or Ernie C produced it, that wasn't an issue to me... I think every Black Sabbath album has something to offer and Forbidden is no different. The person I feel shines on the album is Cozy Powell, his drumming is hard, and fast. Cozy was the highlight for me on this album, but Tony Iommi does some great solo's and riffs too... On a more personal note, I have a big poster of the Forbidden line up on my wall, because I like the album and I feel they deserve it.

Banned

Default Re: Forbidden, was it THAT bad???

Originally Posted By: Renaissance Well...this album gets so much negative attention...Well let's look at this then...
    Forbidden (as you all know) was Black Sabbath's last studio album made (so far). It is often seen as it's worst-which I don't think it's true. It had a killer line up of Iommi/Nicholls/Murray/Powell/Martin, and the album itself had a really neat cover... The only thing I don't like about it is the echo voices on "Can't Get Close Enough To You"... I never minded that Ice-T was on there or Ernie C produced it, that wasn't an issue to me... I think every Black Sabbath album has something to offer and Forbidden is no different. The person I feel shines on the album is Cozy Powell, his drumming is hard, and fast. Cozy was the highlight for me on this album, but Tony Iommi does some great solo's and riffs too... On a more personal note, I have a big poster of the Forbidden line up on my wall, because I like the album and I feel they deserve it.

I used to rank this cd low on the Martin scale , found the production dull but i bought the Japanese version with Loser Gets It All and been hooked ever scince . I found the sound better on the import ! Now it ranks higher for me than Cross Purposes !

Thank you...someone agrees!

I love the album...

I heard all of the negativity about forbidden so when I bought the album I went to the title track see if it was any good. The song (forbidden) is amazing track. No one seems to keen about it.
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

I think it gets trashed more than it should. The only song I hate on it is the first with Ice T. I honestly think that one song has turned most hard core Sabbath fans against the album. The rest of the album is pretty good. But, to be fair, even Tony Martin said it was the worse album he made with Sabbath.
    Life Member of the NRA

This cd rules man! Many good songs, and a few killers, like Forbidden, Get A Grip and the CLASSIC Kiss Of Death! Oh.. I love KOD lyrics! It's so passionate.. sounds like TM sending a message to Sharon Osbourne!
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Banned
    City:JacareŪ State:S„o Paulo Country:Brasil

I think Forbidden is a very good album anyways. Got some classic tracks Get A Grip, Rusty Angels, Loser Gets It All and the rest of the album is good. Apart from the unnecessary rap on The Illusion Of Power, Sick And Tired and Guilty As Hell which are the weak links on the album, it is a 8,0/10,0 album for me. Martin's lyrics are also very personal and keep us guessing for who they are directioned.

Originally Posted By: MarcStitz I heard all of the negativity about forbidden so when I bought the album I went to the title track see if it was any good. The song (forbidden) is amazing track. No one seems to keen about it.
    I happen to love this song as well. It used to be my "theme song" for awhile, too.
    I also like Kiss of Death (sure), Loser Gets It All (should have been an opener) and Shaking off the Chains.

However, Forbidden suffers from having lots of filler, more so than the other Sabbath albums (maybe the same could be said about TE & NSD).
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

There are a lot of songs I love on this album but the production is ruining it for me. Great tunes but crappy sound.

In fact, I hated this album until I first heard bootlegs from this tour. Once I heard the songs live, I went back to my CD and it grew on me. Once you realise the music is good, you can go pass the bad production I guess.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

I like this album but there are a few things that bother me. I like the lyrics, there are quite a few good songs, I like Ice-T's part (YES, THAT's A KILLER PART, he's a rap artist, SO WHAT?), and the drumming is great, I like that Murray is back on it and not "look, my music is so cool" Buttler.

The things I don't like are: the sound. Sometimes it seems like Martin is singing in the bathrum. The guitar sound is raw and unpolished, the bass is sometimes inaudible some songs lack catchy melodies.

Fron 1-10 Forbidden gets a 7 from me. As a comparation:

Eternal idol: 8
    Headless Cross: 10000000000000000000000000000000000
    Tyr: 9
    Cross Purposes: 8
    Forbidden: 7
    Dehumanizer (not Martin, but I must bash it) : -888 (yes, negative points)

i really don't think the cd was bad at all. i really like it except for the ice-t track. outside of that i really like the title track and sick and tired. what a cool bluesy song! a definite replay button hitting tune! i think rusty angels has a cool riff as well.

Originally Posted By: El Lobo I like this album but there are a few things that bother me. I like the lyrics, there are quite a few good songs, I like Ice-T's part (YES, THAT's A KILLER PART, he's a rap artist, SO WHAT?), and the drumming is great, I like that Murray is back on it and not "look, my music is so cool" Buttler.

The things I don't like are: the sound. Sometimes it seems like Martin is singing in the bathrum. The guitar sound is raw and unpolished, the bass is sometimes inaudible some songs lack catchy melodies.

I wonder how this album will sound when/if they remaster if!... I mean, they have the master tapes, it just need a decent produtor! Who was the guy that produce Headless Cross? Now, that's a AWESOME production and sounding!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

i thought it was fine...

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Who was the guy that produce Headless Cross?
    You'll need to dig Cozy out then

Time Machine!

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
    Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Who was the guy that produce Headless Cross?
    You'll need to dig Cozy out then
    Ok, lemme call George Romero! Let's produce a movie, "The Night Of The Living Cozy"
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

The whole movie is a drum solo!

Banned

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules
    Originally Posted By: El Lobo I like this album but there are a few things that bother me. I like the lyrics, there are quite a few good songs, I like Ice-T's part (YES, THAT's A KILLER PART, he's a rap artist, SO WHAT?), and the drumming is great, I like that Murray is back on it and not "look, my music is so cool" Buttler.

I wonder how this album will sound when/if they remaster if!... I mean, they have the master tapes, it just need a decent produtor! Who was the guy that produce Headless Cross? Now, that's a AWESOME production and sounding!

Cozy Powell and Iommi my friend !

They were good...I like Forbidden I listened to the entire album today, along with Deep Purple's Machine Head and Fleetwood Mac's Dance...(I like Fleetwood Mac, so what!)

The production killed it for me, still besides that it's damn good. I used to bash it when I first heard it, but then I listened to it again a few weeks ago and listened to the whole thing without turning it off. My favorite song is Shaking Off the Chains

Mine is the title track, Illusion of Power (yes with Ice-T) or Can't Get Close Enough to You.

You see.. my thoughts is that this album will become a classic!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

don't count on that happening, few people even know about it and those who do bash it cuase a rapper has a few sentances of spoken word or because of the production.
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Yes, but more and more people are getting into it!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

from this board maybe but not on the large scale it would take to get any of the Martin albums considered calssics.
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

Forbidden is my favorite Black Sabbath album, infact, it's my favorite album of all time. The CD contains no fillers at all. My favorite song on the CD would be Sick and Tired it's so beautiful. The rap thing is nothing but catchy and good, Ice T is a great artist. When I first listened to it I did dislike the echo thing in the intro of Can't Get Close Enough but it has really grown on me now. This CD is 44 minutes of pure flawlessness!

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red
    Give me the wine you keep the bread

Originally Posted By: UnderTheSun Forbidden is my favorite Black Sabbath album, infact, it's my favorite album of all time. The CD contains no fillers at all. My favorite song on the CD would be Sick and Tired it's so beautiful. The rap thing is nothing but catchy and good, Ice T is a great artist. When I first listened to it I did dislike the echo thing in the intro of Can't Get Close Enough but it has really grown on me now. This CD is 44 minutes of pure flawlessness!
    Yes, and now imagine the level of destroying power it would get if somebody do a remaster of it!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Yeah...that'd be awsome!

Originally Posted By: UnderTheSun Forbidden is my favorite Black Sabbath album, infact, it's my favorite album of all time. The CD contains no fillers at all. My favorite song on the CD would be Sick and Tired it's so beautiful. The rap thing is nothing but catchy and good, Ice T is a great artist. When I first listened to it I did dislike the echo thing in the intro of Can't Get Close Enough but it has really grown on me now. This CD is 44 minutes of pure flawlessness!
    I have to agree, thought I feel like Rusty Angels ripped off sins of the father. They sound exactly the same.
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Rusty Angels is way better IMO
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

Over all, I still like the album. My only complaint is that it seemed rather rushed. They hadn't taken such little time to finish an album (2 weeks, was it?) since their 1970 debut. I can understand the benefits of trying to keep things raw and spontaneous, but again I think it came off as sounding rushed. I remember Tony Martin saying in an interview that when it came time to printing the lyric sheets, he had to go back to the tapes sometimes to remember what it was that he sang!

I was surprised on how good Tony Iommi was on there...His solo's were of the best he's ever done (Cozy was just wonderful, as I mentioned)...

Originally Posted By: Renaissance I was surprised on how good Tony Iommi was on there...His solo's were of the best he's ever done (Cozy was just wonderful, as I mentioned)...
    indeed, the band sounds really tight!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

It was really...It was a shame it was the last albumm from them.

I've tried...I've really tried to get into Forbidden but it just doesn't work for me....I just find it boring and very flat.

I'd love for someone to clean it up (horrible production) and then I'd give it another go.
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

The production does not bother me at all. I like it. Of course I wouldn't say no to a remaster of it though.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red

Quote: I have to agree, thought I feel like Rusty Angels ripped off sins of the father. They sound exactly the same.
    There is a resemblance, you can also take a listen to Too Late and compare it to I Won't Cry For You, those sound really alike.
    Edit: Around 3 minutes into the song aproximetly.

The blood runs free
    The rain turns red

There are some good events on the album. I do actually enjoy "Illusion of Power", "Forbidden", "Get A Grip", and "Kiss Of Death" greatly. "Shaking Off The Chains" is a decent song ... it still takes a bit of my patience to really enjoy "I Won't Cry For You", only because the production of that song is so weak.
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah

There are some good events on the album. I do actually enjoy "Illusion of Power", "Forbidden", "Get A Grip", and "Kiss Of Death" greatly. "Shaking Off The Chains" is a decent song ... it still takes a bit of my patience to really enjoy "I Won't Cry For You", only because the production of that song is so weak.
    How could this poison be the dream of my soul
    How did my fantasies take complete control, yeah