Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow

Default Rainbow

Just bought the cd The Very Best of Rainbow. Inside the paper it lists Rainbow ROots and Branches. They list 31 different bands that different members of the band have been in. Of course they list 8 different incarnations of Rainbow, and 4 of Deep Purple. The only Black Sabbath on the list is the Dio line up. It (the list) did not go up to the time when Cozy Powell was with Sabbath, or that would have been on there too. Interesting! Not a bad cd either.
    Life Member of the NRA

Default Re: Rainbow

Ian Gillan once said that the Deep Purple family tree is not a tree, it's a jungle!
    Don't care which God you follow, whose promises you swallow.

Indeed, the DP timeline shows about 8 different bands along with it.

I've always thought of making a timeline showing all the different bands I listen to and etc. It would be one interest project.

[ QUOTE ]
    It (the list) did not go up to the time when Cozy Powell was with Sabbath, or that would have been on there too. Interesting! Not a bad cd either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donīt forget Bob Daisley. I know he only recorded the Eternal Idol album, but, what the hell, thatīs his work ( altrought I prefer Dave Spitz bass lines, but.. )
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

And Craig Gruber was in Sabbath just before Geoff Nicholls came in, Don Airey recorded the "Never Say Die !" album, and Bobby Rondinelli was in Sabbath from 1993 to 1995.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
    "Black Sabbath : la Bęte venue de Birmingham"

Rising and Long Live Rock And Roll are great

At this moment, Stargazer is the best Rainbow song for me... at this moment
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

I've really been getting into Rainbow. I already own the first four of their albums.

They're on my list of bands whose CD's I'm gonna collect. At the moment I only have "Rising" on vinyl, which I bought during the mid eighties after seeing "Stargazer" at no.3 in a Kerrang poll for the "top 100 greatest songs of all time".

It was in the 100th edition of Kerrang. I wish I still had it as I'd like to look at that list again and it doesn't seem to be online anywhere.
    >>TECHNICIÄNS ÖF SPÅCE
    SHIP EÅRTH THIS IS
    YÖÜR CÄPTÅIN SPEÄKING
    YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEA˝D<<

[ QUOTE ]
    I've really been getting into Rainbow. I already own the first four of their albums.

[/ QUOTE ]Man you gotta get Joe Lynn Turner stuff, this stuff is great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Man you gotta get Joe Lynn Turner stuff, this stuff is great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't worry, I'm going to buy them all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Tryu to track down the live HTP album. Man, a amazing record!
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Te first 3 Rainbow albums are legendary, I could listen to them all day, every day.
    I'm just a man and I am what I am,
    Nobody will ever change my ways.

Isn't it ironic that Blackmore left Purple and formed Rainbow because it was becoming "too pop", then he goes and does the exact same thing after Dio leaves?

No, he left DP cos it was becoming too funky, not poppy
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Yeah, I've heard both but, whatever

Who does the backing vocals on On Stage?

[ QUOTE ]
    Who does the backing vocals on On Stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimmy Bain, I think.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies don’t use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of “Dehumanizer”.
    "Black Sabbath : la Bęte venue de Birmingham"

Am I the only one who prefers the Bonnet-Turner stuff over the Dio stuff? I donīt know, Graham Bonnet voice does it all for me.
    Also I think that Joe Lynn Turner has a great voice. I just bought his solo album Slam and I can tell you that is pure classic.

[ QUOTE ]
    Am I the only one who prefers the Bonnet-Turner stuff over the Dio stuff? I donīt know, Graham Bonnet voice does it all for me.
    Also I think that Joe Lynn Turner has a great voice. I just bought his solo album Slam and I can tell you that is pure classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah. Bonnet owns every other singer in Rainbow. Have you hear him in Alcatrazz with Malmsteen or Vai? The guy can sing like no other.

Dougie White once said that he could easily sing every song from the Dio pr Turner era with Rainbow or from every Yngwie era, but singing Bonnet's song is climbing up and down the note scale in a way nobody elese could sing if your name is not Graham Bonnet.

Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you aren't the only one. IMO Bonnet is ahead of every singer from Rainbow. DTE is easily my favourite Rainbow album.

The Dio era of Rainbow is the band at its creative zenith for me. The Graham Bonnet era is a close second. But after Bonnet left, the band turned into a Foreigner clone, in my eyes. "I Surrender"? Ugh. Sounded like Ritchie had surrendered to me and had gone totally in a direction I detested. No offense to the Joe Lynn Turner fans out there, it is just not my cup of tea whatsoever.

yeah, I Surrender is not the classic stuff we hear from Ritchie, but it is still great for me. And the live rendition in the HTP Live in tokyo is awesome.

I have no words to express how good "I surrender" is to my ears. I really love that song. There are a lot of good tunes from the Turner era. Stone cold, I surrender, Freedom Fighter, Street Of Dreams

Oh, and I love Journey and Foreigner, BTW. Great bands.

Hey, not like you need my approval, but I don't have a problem and never will with people liking musicians/bands that I don't like. It is a very individual and highly personalized thing. I disagreed and strongly disliked the musical direction that Blackmore took Rainbow in after the departures of Dio and Bonnet. That's my right. And Blackmore has the right to not care what I think. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like Doogie White alot oddly enough, and it is nothing short of criminal that "Stranger In Us All" received no notice at all here in the US outside of the die hard faithful. I must admit however that I openly sneered when I read an interview where Doogie said he was instructed by Blackmore to write lyrics that would appeal to girls. Whatever happened to just writing and playing what you feel and that was enough? Carefully crafted, flawlessly constructed "power pop" with a nice glossy sheen is like eating at Taco Bell - you'll feel good for a minute, but in the end, it's empty calories and not good for you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah. Bonnet owns every other singer in Rainbow. Have you hear him in Alcatrazz with Malmsteen or Vai? The guy can sing like no other.

Dougie White once said that he could easily sing every song from the Dio pr Turner era with Rainbow or from every Yngwie era, but singing Bonnet's song is climbing up and down the note scale in a way nobody elese could sing if your name is not Graham Bonnet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iīve hear alcatrazz with Vai. Bonnet sings very well, is just that I canīt stand the way Vai plays the guitar. No offense to Vaiīs fans, but sometimes I want to yell him: "OK STOP!!! I KNOW YOU CAN PLAY VERY FAST, NOW PLAY SOME MUSIC FOR GODīS SAKE!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Iīve hear alcatrazz with Vai. Bonnet sings very well, is just that I canīt stand the way Vai plays the guitar. No offense to Vaiīs fans, but sometimes I want to yell him: "OK STOP!!! I KNOW YOU CAN PLAY VERY FAST, NOW PLAY SOME MUSIC FOR GODīS SAKE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you are talking about Vai and not Yngwie?

Malmsteen is the superfast one. Vai is the "weird jazzy" one. :-)

Don't forget Duggie White

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    well, I was talking about "Disturbing the Peace" Itīs Vai, isnīt it? I did not heard it since a long time ago.
    And by the way, Lobo, clean your PM box, please.

Yes, Disturbing The Peace is Vai. It's actually my favorite Alcatrazz album, though their first one, No Parole From Rock And Roll, is notable itself and it definitely worth checking out.

Their third effort, Dangerous Games, is a disaster and I would not recommend it to anyone.

The Dio Rainbow albums are classics. Better than anything he did in his solo carreer.

What do you people think about Stranger In Us All -album? I just went and bought all Joe Lynn Turner-era albums + this one. I'm listening it right now for the very first time and I'm very open minded about it. It's not bad after listening two tracks of it...

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you people think about Stranger In Us All -album?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I really enjoyed it. My only gripe was the production was a bit hollow. I particularly didn't like the drum sound on that album, and thought they could've spiced up the rhythm section a bit. But I enjoyed a number of songs off of it... Wolf to the Moon, Black Masquerade, Ariel, a few others. I really enjoyed the tour for that one. Blackers played very well, and the setlist was quite good - showed that Rainbow didn't need the epics to put on a solid rock show. And I liked Doogie's voice. Such a nice change. I'd have prefered the band to have gone into a 15-year coma than had to listen to that drudge with Joe Lynn Turner. I could never stand his voice.

I listened Stranger Us In all twice and now I have listened Joe Lynn Turner-albums, and I think Stranger In Us All is a bit better than those. Not qoing to top Dio-era albums and Down To Earth though.

All a matter of taste, I guess, as long JLT is one of my favourite singers.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Vai isn't superfast, then he's very-nearly-superfast... and weird jazzy, too.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I once had a Joe Lynn Turner solo album and it was pretty weak!

I've never found anything JLT did to be worthwhile.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Get Slam, from 2001. Itīs really heavy. You wonīt regret.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'll second that.