Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Official Seventh Star Thread

Originally Posted By: MTT I quite enjoy Seventh Star--I do not, however, really see it as a Black Sabbath album. It would have been much better received as a TI solo project, but I guess that's a given.
    "In for the Kill" is a really cool song. A nice opener.
    That's because Tony never wanted it to be a Black Sabbath album and why it sounds noticeably different from Sabbath.

I think originally he wanted different vocalists for each track - I heard he wanted to work with Rob Halford, David Coverdale and of course, Glenn - but it didn't happen.

The record company didn't want it to come out under Tony's name and basically told him if it didn't come out as a Sabbath album, it didn't come out.

Of course, the album was savaged for sounding so "different," and, of course, the tired old thing of "Ozzy's not on it."
    He is not here. He has risen!

Originally Posted By: DiosSword
    Originally Posted By: MTT I quite enjoy Seventh Star--I do not, however, really see it as a Black Sabbath album. It would have been much better received as a TI solo project, but I guess that's a given.
    "In for the Kill" is a really cool song. A nice opener.
    That's because Tony never wanted it to be a Black Sabbath album and why it sounds noticeably different from Sabbath.

I think originally he wanted different vocalists for each track - I heard he wanted to work with Rob Halford, David Coverdale and of course, Glenn - but it didn't happen.

The record company didn't want it to come out under Tony's name and basically told him if it didn't come out as a Sabbath album, it didn't come out.

Of course, the album was savaged for sounding so "different," and, of course, the tired old thing of "Ozzy's not on it."
    It was ironic, too, because critics who got a sneak preview when it was still meant to be a solo release claimed it sounded too much like Sabbath.

In a way Seventh Star opened the door for Black Sabbath musically ... unfortunately record companies dictated the end result on the albums that followed.

Seventh Star has aged well, though; I listened to it the other day and it sounds fine.

I love Seventh Star, in fact it's probably my favorite 80s Sabbath album (after Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules.) I love the sound on that album.

Originally Posted By: Jan Alex I love this album. Have a great feeling while I'm listening Seventh Star. All songs are great, but Angry Heart is little week.
    Man, listen to the heavy *chug chug* sound of Iommi on that one!
    Gotta love it

I would also disagree with that assessment of Angry Heart. This song just fucking KILLS!
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

My opinion on this album is that Tony Iommi's tone is a little weird, not my favorite sound from his guitar. However the riffs and vocals are good. Not my favorite album though. I prefer Iommi / Hughes on Fused.

Originally Posted By: Brent My opinion on this album is that Tony Iommi's tone is a little weird, not my favorite sound from his guitar. However the riffs and vocals are good. Not my favorite album though. I prefer Iommi / Hughes on Fused.
    I think his guitar tone very strongly resembles the tone on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Not with too much "crunch", and very "smooth" sounding, if you get what I mean.

love this album but i must admit fused is a much abetter album.
    good thread.

I bought this when it came out and it's an awesome album. I know it was originally supposed to be an Iommi solo album but when I heard it back in 86 it was Black Sabbath and it rocked. Saw the tour with Ray Gillen singing and it was awesome. Too me all the songs sound like Sabbath even No Stranger to Love. It was 80's Sabbath and a little more commercial but still Sabbath to me.

I remember when the Seventh Star LP first came out in 1986, it appeared out of nowhere not long after most people wrote the band off in the wake of Live Aid.
    After Geezer left in 1985 it looked like that was that for Sabbath, with Tony Iommi wanting to do a solo album.

Luckily the record company wanted him to keep the name Black Sabbath, hence the rather weird title;
    "Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi"

At what I consider the lowest point in the band's history Tony Iommi turned out a cracking album that gets better every time I hear it.

It is different, no doubt about it, but still a good album. I was over the moon that Glenn Hughes was the singer (until he got too much junk up his nose), but I thought he should have been playing bass too.

The band's inner workings were such a mystery at that time I thought it was going to be a power trio: Iommi, Hughes and Bill Ward (I hadn't heard that he'd officially left from the Donato days).

I had tickets to that tour until it was cancelled.

Serpiko

Cool to know that are soo many seventh star fans out there, count me on

It is a very good, well-crafted hard rock (as opposed to heavy metal) album. Tony's playing is excellent (as always) and Glenn's voice is always a joy to listen to.

I just don't consider it a Black Sabbath album.

Seventh Star is a well-crafted hard rock album.

As far as I'm concerned, since it was released as a Black Sabbath album with Iommi on guitar (who owns the name), it's a Black Sabbath album. The fact that it was originally intended to be a solo project doesn't change the fact that it was finally released under the name Black Sabbath, albeit with the "featuring Tony Iommi" tagged onto the name.

And the reason I'm very glad it's a Black Sabbath album is that it adds to the diversity of the entire Black Sabbath collection; certainly no one can say that the name Black Sabbath equates to one-dimensional music with no variety.

Must I say that I agree with Racer wholeheartedly?

Seventh Star is, as far as I know, a unique album that was somehow later continued with The 1996 DEP Sessions. I would define it as Blues Metal of a high caliber, some sort of homage to the blues roots of Black Sabbath.

I suppose I put it in the same category as Fused - an excellent album, a wonderful collaboration between two very talented musicians, but still not a Black Sabbath album.

The reason I have a hard time considering Seventh Star a Black Sabbath album is not the musical content. The music is quite good. It's the fact that Tony did not want it to be called "Black Sabbath" and he only did so after the record company told him the album wouldn't get released if it didn't have the Sabbath name. I'm going by Tony's original intent - to me, Seventh Star is Tony's first solo album.

However, I remember reading a review of The Eternal Idol in Circus magazine where they said "this is not Black Sabbath - it is Tony Iommi and his backing band." Bullshit. It's a Black Sabbath album. Tony recorded it as a Black Sabbath album and he wanted it to be called a Black Sabbath album, so it's a Black Sabbath album.

I suppose I put it in the same category as Fused - an excellent album, a wonderful collaboration between two very talented musicians, but still not a Black Sabbath album.

The reason I have a hard time considering Seventh Star a Black Sabbath album is not the musical content. The music is quite good. It's the fact that Tony did not want it to be called "Black Sabbath" and he only did so after the record company told him the album wouldn't get released if it didn't have the Sabbath name. I'm going by Tony's original intent - to me, Seventh Star is Tony's first solo album.

However, I remember reading a review of The Eternal Idol in Circus magazine where they said "this is not Black Sabbath - it is Tony Iommi and his backing band." Bullshit. It's a Black Sabbath album. Tony recorded it as a Black Sabbath album and he wanted it to be called a Black Sabbath album, so it's a Black Sabbath album.

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I suppose I put it in the same category as Fused - an excellent album, a wonderful collaboration between two very talented musicians, but still not a Black Sabbath album.

I prefer to deal without ifs. The cover says BLACK SABBATH {featuring Tony Iommi} - then it's Black Sabbath. I agree that this "featuring" thing is awkward but we can see past it. Specially because the tour was billed without it.

Quote:
    I fail to see the difference between Seventh Star and Eternal Idol in this aspect.

I was going by what Tony's original intention was.

OK, then, let's just agree tha they're both excellent albums.

I was going by what Tony's original intention was.

OK, then, let's just agree tha they're both excellent albums.

OK, so tonight is the first time in a long time that I've listened to this album, and I must say it's absolutely brilliant!

I saw this version of the Sabs with Hughes in Cleveland just a few days before Hughes was fired. Hughes sounded God-awful, though I must say that to me, it didn't seem like he was drunk or wasted (eg, staggering around, talking nonsense, etc) as much as just having profound throat problems. His voice would disappear for entire lines of songs, almost as if the mic were cutting out, then "re-appear". I was a teenager and quite passionate about things in those days so I was pretty angry and disappointed and took the whole bad performance a bit too personally! There was no question something had to give with the singer.

I do like the 7th Star LP, but I have a hard time thinking of it as Sabbath, frankly. This is purely a personal thing. I have no intention of trying to change anyone's mind if they feel differently. But "Sabbath" or not, there are some fine songs--namely, for me, the title track, "Turn To Stone," and "Heart Like A Wheel." I am usually not much for the "hard rocker doin' the pure blues" sorta thing, but the guitar solo(s) in "Heart Like A Wheel" just can't be denied.

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post

Seventh Star has aged well, though; I listened to it the other day and it sounds fine.

+1. I listened to it several times yesterday. It's a great album. The "brand name" on it doesn't much matter. great music is great music. Tony's best guitar sound on record, in my opinion.

Another shade of the mighty Sabbath,though like Born Again it could have been called something else,it was definitely more bluesy,but Iommi is the greatest so like BA,the solos were excellent,btw,nice to be on a board where all of the efforts of Sabbath are appreciated. I have sometimes thought I was one of few that could do so......

must say that i really don't like the black sabbath period with only Iommi as original member..uschh

Seventh Star is apersonal favourite for personal reasons regarding a girl i was dating at the time..

Personal songs like Angry Heart and In memory "is still haunting me.."

This was also the album that made me a Glenn Hughes fan
    Last edited by miracle; 01-17-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miracle View Post
    Seventh Star is apersonal favourite for personal reasons regarding a girl i was dating at the time..

Personal songs like Angry Heart and In memory "is still haunting me.."

This was also the album that made me a Glenn Hughes fan
    I kind of went through the same thing with a girl (Diane, if somehow you're reading this, which I doubt since you hated HM, I'm talking about YOU) around that time. I got Seventh Star and Gary Moore's Run For Cover about the same time and played them quite a lot in my old '73 Mustang while squiring her around.

I first became a Glenn Hughes fan from the Hughes/Thrall album; it wasn't until later that I heard more of his work with Purple (all I'd heard was the songs "Burn" and "Stormbringer" from a best-of I had).

I'm still gutted that I had tickets to that tour and it was cancelled...

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance View Post
    First time I heard Hughes I hated him, then I heard In for the Kill and was a fan forever!!!
    I never thought it was a low point in the Sab's carrer-1997 was!
    all you have to do is listen to his solo stuff to see how good Hughes is.

"Seventh star" is one of my favourite sabbath albums. Really heavy and powerful, expecially on angry heart and seventh star. Awesome album, but very underrated.

Another one that had to grow on me, for some reason. Just couldn't grasp it until after a couple of listens.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    I suppose I put it in the same category as Fused

I thought Tony wanted it to ba a solo album?
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
    I thought Tony wanted it to ba a solo album?
    He wanted Seventh Star to be a solo album, but The Eternal Idol was to have been a Sabbath album from the getgo.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelWayne View Post
    all you have to do is listen to his solo stuff to see how good Hughes is.
    Check out Hughes-Thrall too. Pat Thrall is a very underated guitarist.

Seventh Star is in my top ten Sabbath albums, it's very emotional and moving. What I find amusing is the songs I do not care for are the Metal ones, In For the Kill and Turn To Stone. I like them but never seek them out.

I know it was meant to be an IommI solo album, but I am not sure which lyrics Geoff, Glenn and Glixman wrote. Either way the entire album gives off a mystique of being quite downtrodden and lost, which is why I think the cover is great. Starting from the Sphinx to In Memory, Glenn owns the album, his voice was perfect for the mood, atmosphere and lyrics written. Tony Martin is the only other vocalist I could see pulling them off. Just listen to Angry Heart, from "1:41" until the end, especially, "And there's no way to change this angry heart, Cause all these fears will tear you apart", it's enough to make one cry.

Musically my favorite song is Heart Like A Wheel, but overall my favorite would have to be Angry Heart and In Memory, I feel those two songs should ALWAYS be played together, sort of like Brain Damage and Eclipse.

This was also the first Sabbath album, and only the third or fourth rock album period, I learned to play all the way through.
    Last edited by Ashley Dalby; 03-22-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Default What's up with the re-release?

Anyone know what's up with the re-release of Seventh Star? Saw on Amazon & CD Universe that you can pre-order SS, which is due out at the end of the month ( I think,...maybe next month). Must be a re-master, huh? may be a good time for me to finally get it, never been much of a GH fan though.

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    Anyone know what's up with the re-release of Seventh Star? Saw on Amazon & CD Universe that you can pre-order SS, which is due out at the end of the month ( I think,...maybe next month). Must be a re-master, huh? may be a good time for me to finally get it, never been much of a GH fan though.
    I have a British remaster of SS that I got about 10 years ago.

You can do a lot worse than laying hold of a copy of the album for yourself. It's got some of the best vocals Glenn has ever done, and Tony...well, it's Tony!

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
    Angry Heart rocks

I agree - I know big shock, eh?

As a Sabbath/Iommi record, it's good, but not great to me.

Compared to albums by any artist it IS great.

I have listened to a bit of it recently, and I like it nearly as much as I did in 1986.

I enjoy the cuts from this album. I can feel the agony on "No Stranger to Love". While "Angry Heart" and "In Memory..." seem incomplete I love them. They're just such great material for the time. The thing with "Angry Heart", I find I can relate to it, but what is it about? I don't quite understand.