Default Heaven and Hell in Montreal 03/26/07

Holy crap! What a show!

The Dehumanizer tour had been a highlight for me as far as concerts are concerned but this show surpassed it by far! The guys were in fine form tonight. One of the better gigs of the tour so far based on the recordings I heard.

Setlist was much the same as what we've seen elsewhere on this tour. They played two of the new songs: "Devil" and "Shadow". Ronnie's voice was probably at his best on this tour until he took a break for the drum solo. Then it was a little rough for many of the remaining songs.

Iommi and Butler were their usual selves. Tony did have a few problems on one song (I forget which one). First time I ever see that from him after seeing him five times. Wasn't anything big and overall, he was just as masterful as ever.

The stage presence was amazing. It's a huge contrast seeing an overexcited Phil Anselmo use profanity to try (and fail) to get the crowd going, while Tony and Ronnie are monuments and immediately get a crowd reaction!

The highlight of the concert: folks, this was one of the best, most intense rendition of the song "Heaven and Hell" I have ever heard... and I have heard a crapload of them! The song started and then the crowd started singing Iommi's riff. Ronnie just stared at the crowd, with an amused look and said: This is the first time on this tour that people actually sing this without me having to tell them. . All the guys were pleased but it just wouldn't stop! People kept singing and singing the riff... over and over. So then Dio said (paraphrasing here) jokingly: Well, I guess we don't need Tony to do this one. And Tony waved his hand and pretended like he was exiting the stage! It was extremely funny and you could see the whole band was pleased with the reaction.

Once the song finished, the guys went backstage for the encore. Instead of screaming "Sabbath", people just kept on singing the H&H riff! Just beautiful! They came back, played Neon Knights and Ronnie said it had been a very special night.

Lowlight: The two new songs. Yes, they are decent(not great) songs. Nothing against them. But it is very obvious that a lot of people just don't know these songs and many people left when these songs started. Many just to take a leak but still, it's a downer. I question the wisdom of putting a tour before releasing the record.

Anyway, an amazing night. The stage is ok. Better when you see it live than on video. Still some cheesy elements (particularly the neons during Neon Knights) but kind of nice. Three legends, legendary songs, great performances.

Opening acts:

Down did not have much to work with as far as sound quality. They did the best of it but Phil Anselmo's voice is hoarse. An ok set.

Megadeth were much better than Down but not in a form comparable to their Gigantour, where they rocked a LOT more. It was also ridiculous that the spotlights were exclusively on Mustaine. You couldn't see the two others guys much, not even when the 2nd guitarist was firing solos. Narcissism is Dave's friend. The Gigantour gigs were classier, had much more energy too.

This was Sabbath's night. Don't listen to anyone who tells you this is a perfect Sabbath gig. It isn't. But imperfection IS beautiful and this is one of the best concerts I have seen. And I have seen two decades of rock and metal. A lot of kids seem to have been converted. Comments were postive when I listened to people on my way out. My GF (new to Sabbath) was literally stunned by the presence of Ronnie and Tony. She's more into modern music (Nine Inch Nails, White Stripes) but she was banging her head and had a great time!

I had explained to her before the concert that Sabbath is not metal or doom rock. It goes beyond any label you can put on it. They are originators. And on our way home, she just said I was right about that. We witnessed history. Hope it's not the last time.

To anyobody out there: whether you are into metal, rock, alternative... whatever... don't miss this concert! It's worth it whether you are a Sabbath-head or just a fan of great music.

Default Re: Heaven and Hell in Montreal 03/26/07

Great review. I saw Maiden in Montreal back in October. Montreal rules, and so does its metal audiences.

Can't wait for Friday at Radio city!

YEAH! DIO POINTED AT ME I WAS IN FRONT ROW HE WAS ON THE SPEAKER AND I WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM!
    R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

jptm

good review--it was a great show.

wasn't impressed with down.

megadeth isn't my thing, but it's true about the spotlights...

sabbath was great... above review nails down all the highlights. didn't care for 'shadow of the wind'; the melody sounds like a slowed-down 'rainbow in the dark' to me...

'h&h' was truly the highlight of the night; audience interation between dio & iommi was fantastic.

but damn, my neck hurts today...

awesome review. I hope some boots surface of H&H the song...sounds amazing.

Great, review, really excited here!
    Iommi = Sabbath

I was there too, and I cried of joy a lot! My friends was : are you ok?? I said yess I'm happy and honoured!! haha Fantastic show I really appreciate and great review Ronnie Rocks!

Here's a video of (part) of the song Heaven & Hell in Montreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9E2T5KCg0o

Enjoy!

Awesome review...unforetunately I had to miss the show. It seems every time a band I like comes to Montreal I have to miss it because of friggin' university. Priest, Maiden, Queensryche, Australian Pink Floyd show...all came on days when I either had an exam or huge project due. Blast it... that little bit with Tony "leaving" the stage would have been a riot.

But at least I picked up my copy of The Dio Years today. And it looks like that video above will suffice for now.

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Rocks Here's a video of (part) of the song Heaven & Hell in Montreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9E2T5KCg0o

Enjoy!
    Man, that video rules. It shows you how hardcore the metal fans are in Montreal. They just kept going with the main theme of Heaven and Hell throughout the song.

Originally Posted By: badinsults Man, that video rules. It shows you how hardcore the metal fans are in Montreal. They just kept going with the main theme of Heaven and Hell throughout the song.
    Yeah, it was amazing! I'm really disappointed that it is the only video that surfaced of it (to my knowledge). It's trunkated and the quality is a bit subpar.

I wish they had filmed a few more dates but understand the financial constraints. This was a moment that deserved to be immortalized as far as I'm concerned

Another clip of the ending of Heaven & Hell in Montreal. This guy on youtube also has several other songs from the Montreal show. Just click on his name to get them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVu-...elated&search=