Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    candyman56

Default Ranking the Martin Era Albums!

Ranking the Martin Era albums BEST to LEAST, please fire away.

I've only own Forbidden since it was the easiest to find at FYE. I just won Eternal Idol and Cross Purposes off of ebay, and have Headless Cross and Try via other ways until I can win the actual albums off of ebay which I keep on losing the darn auctions. I can't rank without listening to the other albums.

Default Re: Ranking the Martin Era Albums!

Cross Purposes
    TYR
    Headless Cross
    The Eternal Idol
    Forbidden

Cross Purposes
    TYR
    Headless Cross
    The Eternal Idol
    Forbidden

Eternal Idol
    Cross Purposes
    Tyr
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

01. Headless Cross
    02. Tyr
    03. The Eternal Idol
    04. Cross Purposes
    05. Forbidden

I like Headless Cross, Tyr and The Eternal Idol pretty much equally which makes this ranking pretty factitious. Cross Purposes comes close second to the first three. Forbidden would be, by far, the weakest of the bunch.

01. Headless Cross
    02. Tyr
    03. The Eternal Idol
    04. Cross Purposes
    05. Forbidden

I like Headless Cross, Tyr and The Eternal Idol pretty much equally which makes this ranking pretty factitious. Cross Purposes comes close second to the first three. Forbidden would be, by far, the weakest of the bunch.

1. Tyr
    2. Headless Cross
    3. The Eternal Idol
    4. Cross purposes
    5. Forbidden

Tyr is definitely the heaviest album, and almost every song rocks, but the 2, 3, and 4 spots depend on my mood. Headless Cross has a bit of an advantage over the remaining ones, though. Forbidden isn't bad, but lacks a certain signature Sabbath element; not sure what it is, but it definitely goes in last place.

1. Tyr
    2. Headless Cross
    3. The Eternal Idol
    4. Cross purposes
    5. Forbidden

Tyr is definitely the heaviest album, and almost every song rocks, but the 2, 3, and 4 spots depend on my mood. Headless Cross has a bit of an advantage over the remaining ones, though. Forbidden isn't bad, but lacks a certain signature Sabbath element; not sure what it is, but it definitely goes in last place.

Tyr/Headless Cross/Idol and equal 3 way tie for 1st. Cross Purposes 2nd. Forbidden last (I feel its the poorest Sabbath album of all the band has done. Saw the Headless Cross tour and loved the show at the Tower, a KILLER set list.

Mark

Tyr/Headless Cross/Idol and equal 3 way tie for 1st. Cross Purposes 2nd. Forbidden last (I feel its the poorest Sabbath album of all the band has done. Saw the Headless Cross tour and loved the show at the Tower, a KILLER set list.

Mark

This is a tough one, but I would have to say, for me:

1. Headless Cross
    2. Tyr (very close second; probably within the statistical margin of error)
    3. Cross Purposes
    4. Tie: Forbidden (has one of the five worst Sabbath songs ever IMO, "The Illusion of Power", but also has a personal favorite of mine, "Kiss of Death") and The Eternal Idol (has a couple of classics, like the title track, "Glory Ride", and "The Shining", but then has some duds IMO like "Nightmare" and "Lost Forever")

This is a tough one, but I would have to say, for me:

1. Headless Cross
    2. Tyr (very close second; probably within the statistical margin of error)
    3. Cross Purposes
    4. Tie: Forbidden (has one of the five worst Sabbath songs ever IMO, "The Illusion of Power", but also has a personal favorite of mine, "Kiss of Death") and The Eternal Idol (has a couple of classics, like the title track, "Glory Ride", and "The Shining", but then has some duds IMO like "Nightmare" and "Lost Forever")

Here we go

Tyr
    Eternal Idol
    Cross Purpose
    Forbidden
    Headless Cross

I still can't get into Headless Cross
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Here we go

Tyr
    Eternal Idol
    Cross Purpose
    Forbidden
    Headless Cross

I still can't get into Headless Cross
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

This one is easy:

Eternal Idol- By far the best for me.
    Headless Cross- Great songs but too many synths in the mix.
    Cross Purposes-Great first half, second half eh.
    Tyr- Good album but not too many timeless or memorable tracks
    and waaaaay far back: Forbidden- 3 good songs and I mean good, not one great one.

This one is easy:

Eternal Idol- By far the best for me.
    Headless Cross- Great songs but too many synths in the mix.
    Cross Purposes-Great first half, second half eh.
    Tyr- Good album but not too many timeless or memorable tracks
    and waaaaay far back: Forbidden- 3 good songs and I mean good, not one great one.

Banned

Once again for the record .
    Tyr -1
    Headless Cross -1a
    Eternal Idol-2
    Forbidden -3 not garbage
    Cross Purposes-4
    Cross Purposes Live-5
    Dehumanizer-6 maybe if i keep mentioning this it will finally appear !LOL!

Cross Purposes ~ Some of their best work in years - definitely aided by the presence of Geezer.
    TYR ~ Spectacular album that I didn't get to start with, but its now one of my all time favourites, the way BoT Odin's Court and Valhalla wind together is incredible, and Anno Mundi one of Iommi's best ever riffs.
    Eternal Idol ~ Martin's best vocal performance on a Sabbath album, great songs, riffs, melodies altogether a great album.
    Headless Cross ~ Very 80s, very riff driven, still good.
    Forbidden ~ The opposite of Headless Cross in every sense, pretty good, has to live in the shadow of CP though.

Cross Purposes ~ Some of their best work in years - definitely aided by the presence of Geezer.
    TYR ~ Spectacular album that I didn't get to start with, but its now one of my all time favourites, the way BoT Odin's Court and Valhalla wind together is incredible, and Anno Mundi one of Iommi's best ever riffs.
    Eternal Idol ~ Martin's best vocal performance on a Sabbath album, great songs, riffs, melodies altogether a great album.
    Headless Cross ~ Very 80s, very riff driven, still good.
    Forbidden ~ The opposite of Headless Cross in every sense, pretty good, has to live in the shadow of CP though.

Cross Purposes
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    TYR

Well i know thios is oppsite from most yu you. any album with Tony and Gezzer it great and the songs show the strength of this song writing team. Eternal Idol and Headless Cross both have s 2-3 very good songs and the rest are better than average Forbidden has a few songs that are good but most are average TYR has one great song and the rest average. but these are my thoughts.

Cross Purposes
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    TYR

Well i know thios is oppsite from most yu you. any album with Tony and Gezzer it great and the songs show the strength of this song writing team. Eternal Idol and Headless Cross both have s 2-3 very good songs and the rest are better than average Forbidden has a few songs that are good but most are average TYR has one great song and the rest average. but these are my thoughts.

Originally Posted By: Eternal Idol
    Tyr -1
    ODIN MY MAN, GOD BLESS YOU!

Originally Posted By: Eternal Idol
    Tyr -1
    ODIN MY MAN, GOD BLESS YOU!

I like:
    Eternal Idol - 9/10 songs
    Headless Cross - 8/9 songs
    Tyr - 9/9 songs
    Cross Purposes - 7/11 songs
    Forbidden - 8/11 songs

so
    #1 - Tyr
    #2 - Eternal Idol
    #3 - Headless Cross
    #4 - Forbidden
    #5 - Cross Purposes

and all very close
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

I like:
    Eternal Idol - 9/10 songs
    Headless Cross - 8/9 songs
    Tyr - 9/9 songs
    Cross Purposes - 7/11 songs
    Forbidden - 8/11 songs

so
    #1 - Tyr
    #2 - Eternal Idol
    #3 - Headless Cross
    #4 - Forbidden
    #5 - Cross Purposes

and all very close
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Tyr
    Cross Puposes
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden

1. Cross Purposes - Musically, I think CP is very strong… definitely feel the presence of Geezer.

2. Eternal Idol - A troubled recording, but with some great songs nonetheless.

3. TYR - Very strong… the Norse / Viking themes are a refreshing change from all the Devil songs. Strong material, overall.

4. Forbidden - Kind of odd production, but once you get used to it, it sorta works… rather odd - very deep- bass sound. Kinda like it. When “Shaking Off the Chains” gets going, it really rocks.

5. Headless Cross… I must be one of the few people who isn’t impressed by this one. I still don’t know why it’s regarded as such a classic by some. Slick 80’s “Dokken-esqe” production. The lyrics are pretty cheesy. "Devil" this "devil" that ooooh… the Devil will get you and he’s evil… blah blah blah. It had a charm on the early stuff, but sounds silly from middle-aged men. And what is a “Headless Cross” anyway… a stick?

Still it’s got it’s moments…. I like the Brian May solo in When Death Calls and the Riff to HC is pretty cool. All in all, it’s my least favorite though.

Tyr. Musically TYR is absolutely amazing. Neil Murray and Cozy just rule on that album. And some of Tony's best solos and Martin's best vocals are on there.
    Tyr.
    Headless FUCKING Cross-Awesome, classic tracks on this one.
    Eternal Idol. Very heavy, very underrated.
    Forbidden Very VERY underrated. Great songs on here, Kiss of Death, Shaking off the Chains, most of them on there really.
    Cross Purposes-Some great tracks, Immaculate Deception, I really love EVIL EYE. GZR being on here helps it along a lot.
    CP Live-It's great in some spots but often it dosen't do it for me.

I really love them all.

Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Tyr
    Cross Purposes
    Forbidden

Originally Posted By: mikewho
    5. Headless Cross… I must be one of the few people who isn’t impressed by this one. I still don’t know why it’s regarded as such a classic by some. Slick 80’s “Dokken-esqe” production. The lyrics are pretty cheesy. "Devil" this "devil" that ooooh… the Devil will get you and he’s evil… blah blah blah. It had a charm on the early stuff, but sounds silly from middle-aged men. And what is a “Headless Cross” anyway… a stick?
    Nope I don't like it either, I agree everything you said.

Quote by Ray Rules

candyman56

Now that I just received Eternal Idol yesterday in the mail from an ebay auction, I still need Cross Purposes before making a full judgement. CP should be coming this week as I won that over the weekend.

So far, without having listed to CP I would rank the albums:

1-Headless Cross
    2-TYR
    3-Eternal Idol
    4-Forbidden

Originally Posted By: mikewho 1. Cross Purposes - Musically, I think CP is very strong… definitely feel the presence of Geezer.

2. Eternal Idol - A troubled recording, but with some great songs nonetheless.

3. TYR - Very strong… the Norse / Viking themes are a refreshing change from all the Devil songs. Strong material, overall.

4. Forbidden - Kind of odd production, but once you get used to it, it sorta works… rather odd - very deep- bass sound. Kinda like it. When “Shaking Off the Chains” gets going, it really rocks.

Still it’s got it’s moments…. I like the Brian May solo in When Death Calls and the Riff to HC is pretty cool. All in all, it’s my least favorite though.
    Yes, I agree that the lyrics are pretty cheesy at times, and the production is too slick with a little too much synth on it. That being said, Cozy Powell's drums are thunderous, and to my ears they bring a heaviness back that was missing from Sabbath albums since "The Mob Rules". Also, Tony has some great riffs (e.g. the title track, second half of "When Death Calls") and melodies (e.g. "Nightwing") on this album, and his soloing IMO is much better on this album than "The Eternal Idol". I am someone who can listen to the songs without paying that much attention to the lyrics if the music is great (In general, Tony Martin's lyrics don't do that much for me personally; although, I think maybe some of his best lyrics are actually on "Forbidden"), and I think it consistently is on this album.

BTW, Headless Cross is actually the name of a town in England by the way that lost over half of it's population to an outbreak of bubonic plague in the 17th century, which is where Tony Martin got the idea for the title and lyrics.

For me:

1- Cross Purposes
    2- Forbidden
    3- Headless Cross
    4- Eternal Idol
    5- TYR

All supberb albums. God I miss Tony. Im glad he does a project now and then. Guintini project II is one of my faves.
    When will you show me a sign
    When will you throw me a line

Originally Posted By: Psychdoc BTW, Headless Cross is actually the name of a town in England by the way that lost over half of it's population to an outbreak of bubonic plague in the 17th century, which is where Tony Martin got the idea for the title and lyrics.
    I heard he actually lives in that town these days.

1. The Eternal Idol
    2. Cross Purposes
    3. TYR
    4. Headless Cross
    5. Forbidden

I alway lump in "7th Star" with this era, even though Martin is not the singer. It is the best of all of these CD's IMO, but since we are only talking Martin era, EI is my favorite.
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Well here is my opinion.

#1:Cross Purposes:
    It has a lot of great tracks on it! It is pretty heavy (Martins heaviest Sabbath album) I like think the cover is one of Sabbaths best in later years. However I really have this album in a tie with the below.
    #2:TYR:
    It "Feels Good To Me". I doesnt have a bad track on it in my opinion, Feels Good To Me, doesn't fit in there, but it is an okay Sabbath ballad.
    The 3 piece is awesome. It has the last Sabbath keyboard instrumental we have. And I'm quite fond of how the whole album fits together up until Feels Good To Me comes on.
    The album cover is nothing special, but some of the art is fine.
    Anno Mundi is an absolute standout track, I'd compare it to War Pigs any day, just go listen to it, it's an anti-war song to me at least! And why is singing about norse mythology corny ? What isn't corny then? Black Sabbath the song with evil being aroun the bend is just as corny. huh.gif
    #3:Eternal Idol:First off, I like the cover, nice statue and I like that Sabbath logo quite a lot. I like most of the songs on it. It has some real standout tracks. I think Martin did an oustanding job on songs that were not his! This album to me is also nearly at a tie with the other two.
    #4:Headless Cross:
    For me it has some amazing tracks and some I don't listen to all too often. Some standouts for me is the Title track, When Death Calls is one of my favorite tracks all time, i.e. (live Headless in Russia)
    I also quite like Black Moon, Nightwing & Devil & Daughter.

#5: Forbidden
    The only clear choice for me in this whole thing is that it would come last. It's cover is not a favorite of mine, the Lemon Ice Tea song is crap to me, the production doesn't sound good.
    The highlights for me here are: Can't Get Close Enough, Kiss Of Death, Loser Gets It All (Japanese bonus, it should have been on the damn album, a weird choice for me to leave it out! ) Rusty Angels is also okay...

A fact at the end though.
    I know I've listened to TYR by far the most out of all of these albums so it really is way up there for me! In fact maybe it and CP should trade places, but I'll let them stay in a tie...

Originally Posted By: Petoria000
    Originally Posted By: Psychdoc BTW, Headless Cross is actually the name of a town in England by the way that lost over half of it's population to an outbreak of bubonic plague in the 17th century, which is where Tony Martin got the idea for the title and lyrics.
    He used to, until recently, but not anymore.

Anyways, my ranking would be:
    1. TYR
    2. Cross Purposes
    3-4. Headless Cross and Eternal Idol
    5. Forbidden
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Originally Posted By: Petoria000
    He used to, until recently, but not anymore.

Anyways, my ranking would be:
    1. TYR
    2. Cross Purposes
    3-4. Headless Cross and Eternal Idol
    5. Forbidden
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Wow, Wickedworld, we must be singing from the same hymn sheet!!

Top to bottom:

Headless Cross
    Eternal Idol
    Tyr
    Forbidden
    Cross Purposes