Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hm... I had to think about this one a little.

1. Headless Cross
    2. Forbidden
    3. TYR
    4. Eternal Idol
    5. Cross Purposes
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Oddly enough, this is going to be my first post. I think there's a lot of bandwagon hopping when it comes to the Martin-era. It was a relic of the 80s, mullet metal music that was very uncool in 1995, and the bad press and the fact that it was not of its time I think has clouded people's judgements of what these albums actually sound like. The bad press and criticism sort of avalanched to the point where nowadays, yeah, we're supposed to hate Forbidden, even Tony Iommi says he hates it in his book, right?

Well, these albums are not at all bad in my opinion, other than Headless Cross. That album is too cheesy for me. But I can get into every other one. And Forbidden has a lot of great songs if you a) like 80s metal, b) forget about Ice T and Ernie C. See, "The Illusion Of Power" is not a bad song, it's just that people's heads explode when you even THINK of combining Black Sabbath with Ice T. You'd think they turned into rap or something. But they didn't. It was one track, he did some spoken word thing (it wasn't really rap - it was spoken word, you people who don't listen to rap) and it was a bit odd, but I liked it.

Now, these albums aren't GREAT, but to me, Sabbath wasn't Ozzy - it was riffs by Iommi. So I understand where we part ways if you think the band stops at Never Say Die. (Also - 13 was kind of crappy to me, but that's for another thread.)

For 80s metal albums combined with Sabbath, which we already should have been primed for from H&H and Mob Rules, they're "pretty good". So here's my ranking:

1) Eternal Idol
    2) Cross Purposes
    3) Tyr
    4) Forbidden

...and these 4 could basically be tied and switch any moment, but then there's a big gap between them and....

5) The Heeeeeeadlessssss Mulleeeeeeettttt

1.) Forbidden (I can't grasp how people trash this album and say it's Sabbath's worst album)
    2.) Eternal Idol
    3.) Headless Cross
    4.) TYR
    5.) Cross Purposes
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Eternal Idol
    TYR
    Headless Cross
    Cross Purposes
    Forbidden
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

Cross Purposes
    Tyr
    Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

1.) TYR & Headless Cross (Cant choose which is better)
    2.) Cross Purposes
    3.) The Eternal Idol
    4.) Forbidden

Enjoy them all.

Tyr
    Cross Purposes
    Headless Cross
    Eternal Idol
    Forbidden
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

1. Cross Purposes - The Most purely "Black Sabbath" of the Martin Era albums. And Martin fits right into the material, he doesn't sound miscast. Faves: I Witness, Cardinal Sin, Immaculate Deception, Psychophobia, Virtual Death but the whole album plays nicely as a unit.

2. Eternal Idol - Fairly Strong Martin Debut. Definitely set the tone for what was to come. The Shining, Glory Ride, Nightmare, Scarlet Pimpernel, Lost Forever stand out for me.

3. Tyr - Anno Mundi, Valhalla suite, Jerusalem. I'm not super psyched about the whole Norse theme but it when it works it's great.

4. Headless Cross - Title track is just about all this has going for it. The rest sounds like whitesnake but not as good.

5. Forbidden - Though I'm finding more and more to like off this once discarded album, it's still on the bottom for the time being. I've always liked Rusty Angels.

Banned

Cross Purposes
    The Eternal Idol
    Tyr
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    Cross Purposes
    The Eternal Idol
    Tyr
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    Great minds think alike

Cross Purposes
    The Eternal Idol
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden
    Tyr
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

1. Forbidden (The mix is bad but the songs are great. Forbidden demos sounds better though)
    2. Tyr (Majestic)
    3. Cross Purposes (Very solid and have mr Butler)
    4. Eternal Idol ( Good but I like the Ray Gillen version better)
    5. Headless Cross ( I like the title song and Nightwing but the rest don't do much for me )

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    1. Forbidden (The mix is bad but the songs are great. Forbidden demos sounds better though)
    2. Tyr (Majestic)
    3. Cross Purposes (Very solid and have mr Butler)
    4. Eternal Idol ( Good but I like the Ray Gillen version better)
    5. Headless Cross ( I like the title song and Nightwing but the rest don't do much for me )
    Forbidden is Tony Martin's best Sabbath album, thanks man, someone agrees with me!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
    Oddly enough, this is going to be my first post. I think there's a lot of bandwagon hopping when it comes to the Martin-era. It was a relic of the 80s, mullet metal music that was very uncool in 1995, and the bad press and the fact that it was not of its time I think has clouded people's judgements of what these albums actually sound like. The bad press and criticism sort of avalanched to the point where nowadays, yeah, we're supposed to hate Forbidden, even Tony Iommi says he hates it in his book, right?

Well, these albums are not at all bad in my opinion, other than Headless Cross. That album is too cheesy for me. But I can get into every other one. And Forbidden has a lot of great songs if you a) like 80s metal, b) forget about Ice T and Ernie C. See, "The Illusion Of Power" is not a bad song, it's just that people's heads explode when you even THINK of combining Black Sabbath with Ice T. You'd think they turned into rap or something. But they didn't. It was one track, he did some spoken word thing (it wasn't really rap - it was spoken word, you people who don't listen to rap) and it was a bit odd, but I liked it.

Now, these albums aren't GREAT, but to me, Sabbath wasn't Ozzy - it was riffs by Iommi. So I understand where we part ways if you think the band stops at Never Say Die. (Also - 13 was kind of crappy to me, but that's for another thread.)

For 80s metal albums combined with Sabbath, which we already should have been primed for from H&H and Mob Rules, they're "pretty good"
    Another great post.

For me:
    1. Cross Purposes- out in front by quite a margin
    2.Eternal Idol- would have been even better with Ray Gillen's vocals intact
    3.Forbidden
    4-5. Headless Cross and TYR- could go either way

Tyr
    Headless Cross
    Cross Purposes
    Eternal Idol
    Forbidden

Quote Originally Posted by Choralone View Post

For 80s metal albums combined with Sabbath, which we already should have been primed for from H&H and Mob Rules, they're "pretty good". So here's my ranking:

1) Eternal Idol
    2) Cross Purposes
    3) Tyr
    4) Forbidden

...and these 4 could basically be tied and switch any moment, but then there's a big gap between them and....

5) The Heeeeeeadlessssss Mulleeeeeeettttt
    Shouldn't that be called Hairless Mullet???
    Upping The Irons and Defending The Faith

Eternal Idol
    Cross Purposes
    Headless Cross
    Tyr
    Forbidden

The Eternal Idol
    Tyr
    Cross Purposes
    Headless Cross
    Forbidden

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
    Shouldn't that be called Hairless Mullet???
    Well done!

Good to not-so-good:
    1.) Headless Cross Undisputed champ of the Martin era. The first Sab album in years to actually sound like it came from a fully functioning band.
    2.) Cross Purposes Geezer Butler's presence gave the proceedings some extra muscle, but in the attempt to sound more contemporary (by early-'90s standards, that is) the band ended up sanding away the qualities that made the Martin-fronted lineup unique.
    3.) Tyr At times, a solid follow-up to HC, yet it's marred by the inclusion of too many throwaways.
    4.) The Eternal Idol Otherwise known as Seventh Star, Part II. Glossy glam rock, smothered in a bad '80s nightmare sound mix.
    5.) Forbidden A half-assed offering from musicians who didn't seem to give a shit. The amateur-hour sound quality offers added insult.
    Last edited by Abyss; 01-07-2015 at 01:31 PM.

Funny enough, the order in which they came out is EXACTLY how I'd rank them in terms of quality. Mediocre to poor, on the five star scale:

'Eternal Idol' ( Two stars ).

'Headless Cross' ( Two stars ).

'Tyr' ( One star ).

'Cross Purposes' ( One star ).

'Forbidden' ( One star ).

Even though I consider these albums to be the Tony Iommi Experience, I'll always acknowledge that the Martin era had it's share of shining moments ( ).

You could see is this way
    1. Headless Cross, The signing of Tony Iommi to the management he has today. With the injection of the name and skill of Cozy Powell. And the coming of age so to speak of Tony Martin. Helped to pull the band from it's darkest period. 1988 Record label dumped them. The band was in a profit-less state. HC sales in countries like Germany was able to put the band into profit for the first time in years. Pleasing the band's new label IRS Records. The tour would add another name and skilled player in Neil Murray. Not to forget the tenth year of Geoff Nichols in the band. Heaven And Hell and Headless Cross were turns for the better in Sabbath altogether. Throw in the fact this is also the best remembered.

2. Cross Purposes, Headless Cross's only downfall was American sales in album and concert tickets. Not even completing the American tour. But here you have the inclusion of Geezer Butler. Which is ten bonus points in itself. But out of all the TM era albums/tours this one did the best in America. Although Tony I was use to multtiple times the sales in America for other Sabbath albums, IRS was happy with the profit it made. Plus they also did the best to promote the album I think.

3. TYR, This one was the next step in iommi, Martin, Powell, Murray, and Nichols. This had that band unity that most of the 80's lacked. The same band who finished the last tour did an album then completed it's full tour. Mob rules was the only album in the 80's for Sabbath to have the same band record it and do the whole tour.

4. My fave but forth from this POV is Forbidden. A great album that's either love it or hate it. And so much trouble from the making of it.

5. Eternal Idol goes last for a couple reasons. Tony M had nothing to do with the making of it. Sure he sang it. But nothing of his is in the songs. And the story behind the makingg of it and the tour is a novel by itself.
    Pain and Poison Roses

1 Headless Cross
    2 Eternal Idol
    3 Forbidden
    4 Cross Purposes
    5 Tyr

Over the years my personal rankings have changed over and over. But currently it's like this..

1. Eternal Idol. Great songs, great singing by Tony, great riffs by Tony Iommi. Practically no stereotypical occult songs.
    2. Tyr. Just an awesome album. Great album cover. As someone said earlier, it was a great idea basing the songs on Viking mythology. The production was so clean.
    3. Forbidden. Iommi's guitar is so heavy on this album. I hate Ice T's part on Illusion of power. I had an mp3 once of the song without his part but it got deleted somehow. Very underrated album. Great having Cozy back and Neil Murray back. Ridiculously bad album cover.
    4. Cross Purposes. I like about half the album. Virtual Death is my favorite. Sounds like a lost Dehumanizer song. I think it should have been the title of the album.
    I was really pumped for Geezer and Tony Martin to be on a Black Sabbath album together. I remember seeing the commercial and hearing Tony Martin sing "Ohhh yeahhh" and getting excited.
    5. Headless Cross. The first Black Sabbath album I ever bought on it's release day. I love the music and Tony Martin is a great singer, but the lyrics are horrid. The album cover looks pretty bad.

1. The Eternal Idol
    2. Cross Purposes
    3. Tyr
    4. Headless Cross
    5. Forbidden

The Top 3 there are among my all time favorite Sabbath albums, and I like them more than most Ozzy era Sabbath albums.

Quote Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
    1. The Eternal Idol 2. Cross Purposes 3. Tyr 4. Headless Cross 5. Forbidden The Top 3 there are among my all time favorite Sabbath albums, and I like them more than most Ozzy era Sabbath albums.
    Wow this speaks volumes. You should preamble all your reviews with this info.

Quote Originally Posted by OIM View Post
    Wow this speaks volumes. You should preamble all your reviews with this info.
    I'm not stuck in, or blindly loyal to, ANY era from ANY band. I like what's good, regardless of era, line-ups, or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by A Sabbath Historian View Post
    Funny enough, the order in which they came out is EXACTLY how I'd rank them in terms of quality. Mediocre to poor, on the five star scale:

'Eternal Idol' ( Two stars ).

'Headless Cross' ( Two stars ).

'Tyr' ( One star ).

'Cross Purposes' ( One star ).

'Forbidden' ( One star ).

Even though I consider these albums to be the Tony Iommi Experience, I'll always acknowledge that the Martin era had it's share of shining moments ( ).
    I'm with you on the order of the albums. I almost put Forbidden above Cross Purposes, just because I wanted to be different, and because it seems a bit more original, but it just has way too many clunkers. I think the best stretch of songs is "I Witness" through "Virtual Death" on Cross Purposes for what that's worth. I also almost put Headless Cross above Eternal Idol, but too many of the songs sound too much alike on Headless. So yeah, same order!
    You bought and sold me with your lying words.
    Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Eternal Idol - 5.5/10
    Headless Cross - 3/10
    TYR - 3/10
    Cross Purposes - 6/10
    Forbidden - 4/10

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    Eternal Idol - 5.5/10
    Headless Cross - 3/10
    TYR - 3/10
    Cross Purposes - 6/10
    Forbidden - 4/10
    thats about the way I'd score them although I'd probably be slightly more generous to Tyr and give it a 4.5 and swap HC for Forbidden.

1- Cross Purposes

2a- Eternal Idol
    2b- TYR

4- Headless Cross

7- Forbidden
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Cross Purposes- Love Virtual Death. One of the heaviest tracks they recorded . The Hand That Rocks the Cradle also very good. Back to Eden, great
    TYR- I like Feels Good To Me. Must be one of the few who does!
    Headless Cross
    The Eternal Idol- The Shining, Ancient Warrior. Some great songs here
    Forbidden- I actually do like The Illusion of Power. Very heavy riff. Rusty Angels is my favourite track

Quote Originally Posted by Thelemech View Post
    Eternal Idol
    TYR
    Headless Cross
    Cross Purposes
    Forbidden
    This has changed

Headless Cross
    TYR
    Eternal Idol
    Forbidden
    Cross Purposes
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I feel pretty bad for Forbidden...
    You tried to suppress me
    But nothing holds me down
    Just when you think you're happy
    I come around

Post number 1, here we go. That it's ranking the Tony Martin albums might tell you a little bit about where my current interest in the band lies, and it's a shame to admit but after decades of original line-up Black Sabbath fandom I've only just now got into the Tony Martin albums for the first time. And quite frankly it's amazing.

1. Headless Cross - I love the production including keyboards and Cozy's 80s drums. Tony Martin sounds incredible and I also really enjoy the dark, even occult vibe of the whole thing.
    2. Cross Purposes - Great production and some amazing riffs. It's a real toss-up with 'Tyr' for this spot, but I think the overall tone wins out for the moment.
    3. Tyr - I love the viking vibe and of course the amazing opening track and the 'suite'.
    4. The Eternal Idol - Doesn't quite do it for me in the same way as the others, although to be honest I need to hear this a bit more.
    5. Forbidden - No where near as bad as the world has led me to believe, but this still comes in fifth place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    1.) Forbidden (I can't grasp how people trash this album and say it's Sabbath's worst album)
    2.) Eternal Idol
    3.) Headless Cross
    4.) TYR
    5.) Cross Purposes

My rankings have changed:

1.) Eternal Idol
    2.) Forbidden
    3.) TYR
    4.) Cross Purposes
    5.) Headless Cross

1- Headless Cross: OK, i'm not so fond of the occult topic in general but i have to admit that this album is having some monsterous riffs by master Iommi. Every song is killer on this album, none of the songs is skippable or a filler. Definetely, among Sabbath's best.

2 - TYR: A definetely lighter and brighter atmosphere on this one, not so dark as Headless Cross. No filler songs here but on parts, it is a bit meh so, TYR loses the first place from Headless Cross. The songwriting is some steps lower than Headless Cross.

3 - Cross Purposes: OK, Headless Cross is one of Sabbath's best but Cross Purposes, is my favorite from the Martin era. I really like the energy and the groove on this album. I appreciate the uptempo music and the rhythm provided by Bobby Rondinelli it really does the job for me. The songwriting is not as good as the previous albums i mentioned but, i really liked this album. Also, i think that on this album, Tony Martin showed his full vocal capabilities because, he used his full range i think while on the previous, he used his high range mostly.

4 - Eternal Idol: Lets face it. Eternal Idol is one of the first Black Sabbath albums i have heard and it holds a special place in my heart. But, after a long time, i notice that i'm not really attracted on hearing this album regulary as Headless Cross, TYR, Cross Purposes. The Shining, Ancient Warrior, Eternal Idol, are really great songs but apart from those songs, meh. However, i admit that this album was a return to roots. It had the doomy, apocalyptic song like "Black Sabbath" (Eternal Idol), it had an acoustic instrumental like Embryo (Scarlet Pimpernel) but the rest of the album, is not having another resemblamce with the Black Sabbath name.

5 - Forbidden: Yes, this album is having a really good guitar work in riffing and soloing and for me, Tony Iommi gave his best on this one. But overall, Forbidden isn't a great album. The production, the half-assed vocals are removing enough points from this album. And some of the songs are great (Kiss Of Death is a hidden gem) but apart from those, i'm not so mad about this album. I used to like it at first but now, not so much....

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    My rankings have changed:

1.) Eternal Idol
    2.) Forbidden
    3.) TYR
    4.) Cross Purposes
    5.) Headless Cross
    Eternal Idol has always been my favorite Black Sabbath album with Tony Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
    Eternal Idol has always been my favorite Black Sabbath album with Tony Martin.
    It has surpassed Forbidden slightly, and has some of the best Martin/Sabbath classics on it.

Thank you for accepting my friendship request K.

My new ranking

1.) Forbidden (Best Martin/Sabbath album, one of the best Sabbath album covers)

2.) TYR (been listening to this album a lot, great album, love Feels Good To Me)

3.) Headless Cross (find memories Headless Cross #1 Martin/Sabbath song)

4.) Eternal Idol (this one has only changed position because it was originally a Ray Gillen album, but still fantastic, The Shining and Ancient Warrior, top Sabbath songs)

5.) Cross Purposes (Cross Of Thorns, wow!!!)