Banned

Default The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

<span style="color: #666666">(Yeah, I know, there was an old CoB thread here. But it didn't really get many replies. So I've decided to start a new one, with YouTube links, so people unfamiliar with the band can weigh their opinions.)</span>

I gotta be honest here; Bodom is one of my absolute favorite bands. I love everything about them; I love the melodies, how well Alexi and Janne complement each other during their dual guitar/keyboard solos, everything.

I first got into them about two years ago, when a friend of mine first showed me a couple songs that he'd just downloaded. Those songs were Hate Me and Mask of Sanity, both off of the Follow the Reaper album. I liked them, but I wasn't really paying much attention, as me and him were both playing a couple games of Magic at the time.

Later that day, I went home and ended up downloading the whole album, for further listening. I was enthralled. I just couldn't stop listening, it was magical. Hell, to this day, Follow the Reaper <span style="color: #666666">(as well as the previous album Hatebreeder, to a lesser extent)</span> remains one of my favorite metal albums ever.

So naturally, I want to share this band with everyone else on the board; hopefully it'll start some discussion on the band, and maybe we can get a few new fans. So I've posted YouTube links to some of my favorite songs, one from each album.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Deadnight Warrior (From the 1997 debut album Something Wild)
    Downfall (From the 1999 album Hatebreeder)
    Everytime I Die (From the 2001 album Follow the Reaper)
    Angels Don't Kill (From the 2003 album Hate Crew Deathroll)
    In Your Face (From the 2005 album Are You Dead Yet)
    Hate Me (From the 2006 live album Stockholm Knockout)
    Banned From Heaven (From the upcoming album Blooddrunk)</span>

Fans, non-fans, and newbies alike, discuss your opinions on the band.

Banned

Default The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

<span style="color: #666666">(Yeah, I know, there was an old CoB thread here. But it didn't really get many replies. So I've decided to start a new one, with YouTube links, so people unfamiliar with the band can weigh their opinions.)</span>

I gotta be honest here; Bodom is one of my absolute favorite bands. I love everything about them; I love the melodies, how well Alexi and Janne complement each other during their dual guitar/keyboard solos, everything.

I first got into them about two years ago, when a friend of mine first showed me a couple songs that he'd just downloaded. Those songs were Hate Me and Mask of Sanity, both off of the Follow the Reaper album. I liked them, but I wasn't really paying much attention, as me and him were both playing a couple games of Magic at the time.

Later that day, I went home and ended up downloading the whole album, for further listening. I was enthralled. I just couldn't stop listening, it was magical. Hell, to this day, Follow the Reaper <span style="color: #666666">(as well as the previous album Hatebreeder, to a lesser extent)</span> remains one of my favorite metal albums ever.

So naturally, I want to share this band with everyone else on the board; hopefully it'll start some discussion on the band, and maybe we can get a few new fans. So I've posted YouTube links to some of my favorite songs, one from each album.

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Deadnight Warrior (From the 1997 debut album Something Wild)
    Downfall (From the 1999 album Hatebreeder)
    Everytime I Die (From the 2001 album Follow the Reaper)
    Angels Don't Kill (From the 2003 album Hate Crew Deathroll)
    In Your Face (From the 2005 album Are You Dead Yet)
    Hate Me (From the 2006 live album Stockholm Knockout)
    Banned From Heaven (From the upcoming album Blooddrunk)</span>

Fans, non-fans, and newbies alike, discuss your opinions on the band.

Banned

Default Re: The CHILDREN OF BODOM Discussion Thread.

I will definately check them out sometime. I have got 1 or 2 songs by them knocking about somewhere (I know one of the songs is called 'Black Widow'). They don't sound too bad from what i've heard.

I like some of Cradle Of Filth from what i've heard of them, and i've noticed a few similarities between the two bands from the fairly limited resources I have at my disposal. I'm just wondering if there are any definate similarities over a wider range of both of these bands' music?

Banned

I will definately check them out sometime. I have got 1 or 2 songs by them knocking about somewhere (I know one of the songs is called 'Black Widow'). They don't sound too bad from what i've heard.

I like some of Cradle Of Filth from what i've heard of them, and i've noticed a few similarities between the two bands from the fairly limited resources I have at my disposal. I'm just wondering if there are any definate similarities over a wider range of both of these bands' music?

Banned

Originally Posted By: M Williams I will definately check them out sometime. I have got 1 or 2 songs by them knocking about somewhere (I know one of the songs is called 'Black Widow'). They don't sound too bad from what i've heard.

I've only heard a couple Cradle of Filth songs, but to me it sounds like power/speed metal with black metal influences. Bodom's earlier stuff <span style="color: #666666">(ie, anything off of the first three albums)</span>, is very similar in this regard.

If you're looking for an album-by-album comparison of the band's sound throughout their career, the YouTube links above, are a good illustration I feel. Worth checking out.

Also, here's a brief description below, so you can choose the album that you feel you might like the most.
    <ul>[*]<span style="color: #993300">Something Wild</span> - The most "eccentric" of all the albums. Contains massive neo-classical elements <span style="color: #666666">(ie: lots of strings and organs, and borrows some parts from classical pieces)</span>, lots of odd song structures, and has a lot of Black Metal influences.[*]<span style="color: #33CC00">Hatebreeder</span> - The Black Metal sound is still there, but the neo-classicism has faded somewhat. Focuses on pure, fast metal. This is the album that "Black Widow" is on.[*]<span style="color: #3366FF">Follow the Reaper</span> - Keyboards are the most prominent on this album. Lots of awesome melodies and keyboard solos. Mainly, it's filled to the brim with some solid melodic metal.[*]<span style="color: #CC0000">Hate Crew Deathroll</span> - Easily the most "upbeat" sounding of all the albums. Keyboards take the backseat as guitar takes hold as the prominent instrument again. Contains some Industrial elements.[*]<span style="color: #33CCCC">Are You Dead Yet</span> - Pure Thrash all the way. Songs are filled with raw, brutal emotion, but the album contains the most slow, chuggy songs out of all of them.[/list]

I think they're pretty good, but for some reason I don't listen to them much. My favorite album is Follow the Reaper, least favorite is Hate Crew Death Roll.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Told you this would gonna work
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Buttock, as you must be aware by now, I'm never been too hot on 'melodic' metal. Of course, some of the most consistently and highly brutal and technical metal bands use 'melodic' elements in their songs and albums, but when we fans use terms like 'melodic-DM' and such, we all know what we are approximately referring to. A majority of my most-loved metal bands have, not surprisingly, been minimally melodic in overall sound and style.

CoB is a band that I have sampled enough to know that I'm mostly a non-fan. In any case, there are very few black metal bands I genuinely enjoy greatly, for various reasons. CoB, as I pointed out in another thread recently, has been a predominantly modern black metal band that I honestly find excessively progressive and melodic (and promiscuously experimental), for my own tastes.

There's no mistaking the band members' considerable talents or denying that what they do musically takes a lot of conviction and sheer artistic virtuosity. Yet, I just cannot connect too warmly with a band that so whole-heartedly embraces melodicism and delivers their metal via way too much keyboards, synths, organs, strings (at the sad expense of a much more rampant, ruthless guitar-driven assault) and a neo-classicist, overly melodic bent that never fail to annoy and bore me to distraction.

The only CoB album I might still wanna listen to occasionally is Are You Dead Yet. To me, that record has got more of a straight-up, no-frills, aggressive attitude and an underground vibe about it that I find all their prior albums never went anywhere remotely near in pulling off, in the studio, or on stage. I just think that a lot of avid CoB fans today might, sooner or later, find that they actually like some other similar, CoB-related bands, a whole lot more.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

CoB Are freaking great i have all theyr albums,Bed Of Razors has to be my favorite song right now.
    R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

I saw these guys in concert and found them extremely boring. My friends, though, were greatly impressed by them.

Originally Posted By: VikingChrist I saw these guys in concert and found them extremely boring. My friends, though, were greatly impressed by them.
    I find them to be rather boring too. Pretty run-off-the-mill melo death with really bad keyboards.

Children of the Bodom, never heard of there songs but looks like I have to check them out since there playing at Gigantour. Thanks for the links buttock!!!!
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth
    Originally Posted By: VikingChrist I saw these guys in concert and found them extremely boring. My friends, though, were greatly impressed by them.
    I find them to be rather boring too. Pretty run-off-the-mill melo death with really bad keyboards.
    Yes, see, that's what I thought, but my friends thought the keyboard player was awesome. He soloed a lot, and maybe that's why they like him. I noticed that guiarist/singer did a lot of silly posing on stage, which doesn't make them better or worse, but I just found it silly. Melodic death metal just is not my thing.

Banned

Originally Posted By: VikingChrist Yes, see, that's what I thought, but my friends thought the keyboard player was awesome. He soloed a lot, and maybe that's why they like him.
    Well, I don't like Janne because of the fact that he solos a lot, but rather I happen to like the way the keyboards work within each of the songs, myself, in tandem with the guitars, drums, etc. I think Janne brings a nice, atmospheric quality to the band, and (most of) the solos he writes for the band are pure gold.

However, I can see where you're coming from. I guess not liking melo-death in general, might explain why you don't like the band; CoB really does take the "melodic" part to the extreme.

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever The only CoB album I might still wanna listen to occasionally is Are You Dead Yet. To me, that record has got more of a straight-up, no-frills, aggressive attitude and an underground vibe about it that I find all their prior albums never went anywhere remotely near in pulling off, in the studio, or on stage.
    True, I can see why Are You Dead Yet might be your favorite. The lack of keyboards, coupled with the simple song structures, and the extreme attitude, makes for their most thrash-influenced album yet.

Oddly enough though, that's one album I never fully got into. I enjoy it more than the incredibly upbeat-sounding Hate Crew Deathroll (aside from 1 or 2 songs), but it's still nowhere near my favorite.

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever I just think that a lot of avid CoB fans today might, sooner or later, find that they actually like some other similar, CoB-related bands, a whole lot more.
    I dunno. The reason I like CoB is because they're so different from other melo-death bands, because they take the keyboard and melodic elements to the extreme. Not to say I don't enjoy other melodic DM (as you already know), but CoB is more than likely, always going to be my favorite melo-death band.

i like melodic death metal, but not CoB....go figure.

just not my style

i like melodic death metal, but not CoB....go figure.

just not my style

Banned

Thanks for the heads-up, Buttock. Much appreciated mate. I will be sure to give them a good listen some time.

Thanks for setting up all the links, Buttock.

Musically I like a lot of what they do but their vocal style is not my cup of tea. I found myself thinking, damn if they just had a regular singer I might really like this. But hey, we all like different stuff. I enjoyed the chance to sample one of your favorite bands (since I otherwise never would have heard them).
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Originally Posted By: MarcStitz Children of the Bodom, never heard of there songs but looks like I have to check them out since there playing at Gigantour. Thanks for the links buttock!!!!
    Originally Posted By: M Williams Thanks for the heads-up, Buttock. Much appreciated mate. I will be sure to give them a good listen some time.
    No problem. Be sure to lemme know what you thought after hearing some of the band's other songs (In Marc's case, helps to know what you're getting into before going into a show ).

Banned

Well, one of the four covers that are to appear on singles for the upcoming album, Blooddrunk, has leaked, after appearing on a Finnish metal radioshow.

The cover is Lookin' Out My Back Door by CCR.

I'll see if I can upload a YouTube or Host-a.net link later. Discuss your opinions on whether you think the cover will be good or bad.

Banned

Apologies for the triple post, but I'm just hoping this will stir up some discussion, so it doesn't die after only 10 or so posts, like that last one.

As promised, here's a link to a radio-rip of the new cover they did. Lookin' Out My Back Door (CCR cover)

I haven't heard the original song, but I think this version's pretty damn good. Not the best CoB cover I've heard <span style="color: #666666">(those honors going to Aces High and Silent Scream)</span>, but it's still a great cover nonetheless. What's everyone's thoughts?

Ok I heard so far:

Banned from Heaven
    Hate Me
    Living Dead Beat
    Are you Dead Yet?
    In your face

...and I have to say I am hooked!!! The riff from Banned from Heaven is ****** awesome!!! Im going out and buying some of their CD's. Too bad their new one isn't till April 15!!!
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

I gave the band a second listen. I still feel the same way that I did after the first listen. a) I like the speed and intensity of the music. b) I like how the keyboard complements the other instruments. c) the growling vocals still aren't my cup of tea. It seems like a mismatch for the music type.

Anyhow, you might like to know the link to the last song is now dead.

Thanks to you for a good introduction to a band that I otherwise hadn't heard of.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Banned

I'd say the vocals are an acquired taste, I guess. You'd have to like black or death metal, in order to enjoy the vocals on any level. But it's awesome that you enjoy the music.

Also, Marc: I'd advise getting Follow the Reaper and Are You Dead Yet first off, then branching out from there. AYDY is the easiest album to get into for most new fans to get into, I've heard; and FTR is just their best album, IMO, with the highest number of awesome songs (all of them ), and the best use of keyboards.

Originally Posted By: Franklin Anyhow, you might like to know the link to the last song is now dead. But it's awesome that you like the music.

Thanks to you for a good introduction to a band that I otherwise hadn't heard of.
    Ah, thank you for the heads-up. And no problem. I just thought it'd be nice to share one of my favorite bands with the rest of the community, and get some discussion going on.

Here is the new link for Banned From Heaven <span style="color: #666666">(the song is on their Myspace as well, in better quality)</span>, and the other new song that's leaked, the title track for the new album, Blooddrunk:
    Banned From Heaven (From the upcoming album Blooddrunk)
    Blooddrunk (From the upcoming album Blooddrunk)

The band is very, very good, Bucks. Talented musicians, but the only thing that gets me down is the singer. Although he's very good, I can't dig that kind of singing =/
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Banned

Yeah, as I said before, harsh vocals are an acquired taste. I enjoy them a lot, but that's just me.

As I type this, it seems another song from the new album has leaked, which makes the fourth song, out of the nine on the album, so far. It's called One Day You Will Cry, and to me, the name implies a ballad, which intrigues me. I'm searching for it now, but all trace of it on YouTube has been removed.

I'll post it here when it becomes easily accessable.

B, I said before that I have heard of their existance as a band, and how my friends were into them back in high school. The more I see this topic now, the more I want to go rent a cd and see how they do. Thanks chief. (another Dane Cook reference).
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Banned

Did you just call me B? [Family Guy reference ]

No, but seriously, that's awesome. I'd probably recommend Are You Dead Yet, as well as Follow the Reaper, as per my explanations above.
    <ul>[*]AYDY is the bands most thrash-sounding album, so I'd assume you'd like it most, being a thrash fan and all.[*]FTR is my favorite album, mainly because it's the most representative of the band's sound. Janne's keyboarding is genius in this album.[/list]

I bought Are you dead yet? and so far Im liking it. I'll get follow the reaper next

Quote by Ray Rules

A cool interveiw on the new album "Blooddrunk" Here take a look: http://www.lucemfero.com/childrenofbodom032008.php

Quote by Ray Rules

Banned

Awesome interview, Marc.

I've been giving Blooddrunk some listens in the past couple weeks, and I finally decided to start writing my review. I might take a while, as I want to get a chance to put down all my ideas, but I should have it up by Easter Monday.

Your Welcome! Yeah I can't wait to hear your review

Quote by Ray Rules

Children of Bodom is a real metal band unlike half the bands that are out there now, favorite album is probably Are You Dead Yet?
    "Just remember love is life and hate is living death" - A National Acrobat

http://flummoxed.bandcamp.com/

Banned

I finally finished my review for the new album. Hope you guys enjoy.

Alexi Laiho and the gang come back with one of their darkest offerings yet, the new album Blooddrunk. I've been taking listens to this album, and as a whole, it's just awesome. In my opinion, the best they've done since Follow the Reaper. The new album definitely has a lot more progressive and thrash elements to it as well. A LOT more. I'm going to give a song-by-song analysis for you guys, with my opinions...

01 - Hellhounds On My Trail
    The first song kicks off with this really dark, menacing intro. And then all of a sudden, kicks in with some galloping drums. Sounds a bit metalcore-ish for my liking, but it's still good. There are some definite traces of Are You Dead Yet on this album, and it shows on this song alot. But overall, it's not a bad song. Not amazing, but not bad.

02 - Blooddrunk
    My favorite song on the album. The cold, eerie keyboard intro just grabs you and doesn't let go, until the rest of the band kicks into ass-kickery mode. Considering the style of COB's newer stuff, using the time signature they did (6/8) was a refreshing change. Definitely a song that I'd be really disappointed if they didn't play it at Gigantour.

03 - LoBodomy
    This song, is a dark one. Alternates between being really aggressive, really thrashy; and then really dark, brooding, and atmospheric, what with the amount of choir keyboards present. Definitely the song most reminiscent of Follow the Reaper, which for me, is a plus. There's a few pinch harmonics placed throughout the song, but they're done as they should be done; in moderation. Zakk Wylde, take a lesson from these guys.

04 - One Day You Will Cry
    I like this song a lot. The song starts off with this dark keyboard intro, laden with strings and everything, and then all of a sudden, the rest of the band kicks in with the same riff. This is the most melodic song on the album, the most epic-sounding, rivalled only by Banned From Heaven. Here's another song that shows traces of Are You Dead Yet, but it's still awesome.

05 - Smile Pretty For The Devil
    To be honest, this song was merely okay for me, nothing special. Another fast, thrashy one. However, it's completely redeemed near the end when the slow part kicks in, and Janne takes his keyboard solo; that's one of the best solos I've ever heard him play, ever. Not a bad song by any means, but definitely not my favorite.

06 - Tie My Rope
    Well, we've known about this song for awhile, since the band recorded it for the Viva La Bands 2 compilation. Well, they decided to rerecord it for Blooddrunk, and in my opinion, this version is much better. The guitar tone on the old one sounded a bit weak, whereas this one is just downright mean. Really adds to the song. I wouldn't mind if this song was omitted from the live show, but it's still a solid song on the album.

07 - Done With Everything, Die For Nothing
    Done With Everything, Die For Nothing is a really wanky, really all-over-the-place song. It starts of with this straight-up rock riff; sounds like a faster, more menacing version of Mob Rules. Not the same riff, but you get my point. Alexi said in an interview that he had a lot of problems getting this song to sound right for the finish date, and I think it shows here. Personally, I didn't find it all that memorable at all. Probably my least favorite off of the album.

08 - Banned From Heaven
    This is the token ballad on the album. Every CoB album has had one, so naturally, Blooddrunk has one as well. Only this one sounds less "sad" than all the previous ones, and more angry and menacing. The twin guitar harmonization in the intro, and strealed throughout the song, just makes me want to fucking headbang.

09 - Roadkill Morning
    Roadkill Morning is THE absolute thrashiest song on the album. I first heard it, and it reminded me a lot of something off of Kreator's last album. And I mean that in a good way, because I liked Enemy of God. The keyboards aren't that present, except in a couple interludes, where Janne inserts a few strings here or there. But overall, it's still a VERY enjoyable listen.

Wow. That was really a long type for me. I think I may have just given myself arthritis there. But yeah, when Alexi said that this album was really going to be thrashy, he wasn't shittin'. And the album is so dark too... all in all, I feel it's the third best album in Bodom's discography, third only to Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder. For anyone looking to get into the band, this and FTR are the albums I'd point them to. Just spectacular.

Banned

http://www.myspace.com/childrenofbodom

Also, the whole album has been put on CoB's MySpace, for people like Marc who haven't heard it yet.

I've checked out their 2005 album and it didn't click with me at all.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

^^^Thanks for the update

Quote by Ray Rules

They are awesome, one of my favorites.
    I like every album from them.

Banned

Bumping this, for the news.

New upcoming single from the new album: