Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default Re: The State of the Boards

Quote: What I don't get, I guess, is why we're being coerced into "disbanding" these tight-knit groups of ours, all of a sudden. We've done nothing wrong, we haven't tried to hurt anyone. I can see Joe's reasoning, as his argument is true on a lot of other forums, that these "cliques" can be harmful.
    If there's one thing I've learned you stop problems BEFORE they happen. Not afterwards.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

I haven't been active as much as I would like to lately (work) but I love this place, and people like NoWayOut and Buttock are people I consider my friends (as well as everyone else) so I just hope everything can be resolved.

Cheers mates!

P.S. Glad you're not leaving Ray!

Originally Posted By: BloodshotGtr and people like NoWayOut and Buttock are people I consider my friends (as well as everyone else)
    HEY! WHAT ABOUT ME?!?
    So live for today
    Tomorrow never comes

Originally Posted By: BloodshtBass
    Originally Posted By: BloodshotGtr and people like NoWayOut and Buttock are people I consider my friends (as well as everyone else)
    HEY! WHAT ABOUT ME?!?
    Everybody seems to forget about the bassists.. * Bassist *

Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

As a former IT and current psychology student, one thing I've noticed about the behaviour on this board is commonalities to almost all Internet boards: people who normally wouldn't talk the way they do if it were face-to-face feel as if they can do the poke-in-the-eye type of posts on the Net. And that's not just this board.

In fact, I'm a Christian (as many of you know), and I frequent very few Christian message boards because they can be downright nasty: "your doctrine is wrong," that sort of thing. This board is friendlier than a lot of those!

Of course, I have my fallibilities, such as getting annoyed at the "Black Sabbath is just 'War Pigs,' 'Paranoid,' 'Iron Man'" mindset. But I TRY not to make ad hominem attacks against an individual poster who may believe that way: "if you don't listen to Tony Martin, Dio, Hughes, Gillan, etc." you're just a narrow-minded twerp. I'm not always successful.

My way of dealing with posts that seem intent on attacking me personally (which have been very few)? I don't respond - that just adds fuel to the fire, and life's too short to deal with bullshit like that.

I don't think it's at all cool to insult Joe on this or any other board. When you call Joe or ANYONE a "Nazi" do you actually realise what you're saying? I've seen absolutely NOTHING to indicate that Joe is a follower of Adolf Hitler - THAT'S what a NAZI is.

And if people don't agree with me on something, I try not to get too bothered about it...life doesn't require anyone to agree with my opinions. Like my dad often said, "opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one and they all stink, but some stink more than others," and that includes my opinions.

Just my $.02.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Touche, Randy! I guess that puts my thoughts in the realm of "What he said." I used to spend a lot of time on this site several years ago, but pretty much left the internet altogether to persue other activities as my son was growing up. As I've said before, now I'm getting back to things that <span style="color: #3333FF">I</span> enjoy. There's a reason that this site and these boards have endured. It's most definitely NOT because Joe and company have made bad decisions and don't know what they're doing.

Supposedly everybody is here for a common cause - interest in Black Sabbath. In essence, that should make the collective membership of these forums a clique. Differing opinions and open discussion is one thing, but I've read some of the personal commentary that's appeared here. That's just not cool.

Personally I don't have a problem with "sub-groups" of members with similar interests forming as long as it's done with the good of the overall membership in mind.
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

Quote: I don't think it's at all cool to insult Joe on this or any other board. When you call Joe or ANYONE a "Nazi" do you actually realise what you're saying? I've seen absolutely NOTHING to indicate that Joe is a follower of Adolf Hitler - THAT'S what a NAZI is.
    But furthermore Joe can do whatever he jolly well pleases to do simply because this is his site and his message board. Joe seems fairly liberal hold over this place. We can do pretty much as we like with some intelligently placed rules. I'm sure we can all see the reasons behind every rule Joe has placed. I'm also sure that if you read one you didn't agree with or didn't understand Joe would be open to giving his reasons.

Also perhaps if people think they might be a certain topic that voids the rule present your reasons why you think it has merit on the board to the Admin or a Mod. People tend to be kinder, and pass it back to you, when approached in a polite and intelligent manner.

Another thing to realize is that the internet has its limitations. A big part of discussions are tone. That doesn't exist over the net. People can miss interpret something as anything other than what it is. A good example is this post here, I can imagine someone thinking it cocky or its as some personal attack but I don't mean it to. This is my sincere effort to strengthen the Black Sabbath fan base.
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thats for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Originally Posted By: DiosSword As a former IT and current psychology student, one thing I've noticed about the behaviour on this board is commonalities to almost all Internet boards: people who normally wouldn't talk the way they do if it were face-to-face feel as if they can do the poke-in-the-eye type of posts on the Net. And that's not just this board.

Of course, I have my fallibilities, such as getting annoyed at the "Black Sabbath is just 'War Pigs,' 'Paranoid,' 'Iron Man'" mindset. But I TRY not to make ad hominem attacks against an individual poster who may believe that way: "if you don't listen to Tony Martin, Dio, Hughes, Gillan, etc." you're just a narrow-minded twerp. I'm not always successful.
    That's one thing that does bother me with some boards. The anonymity seems to encourage certain users to become completely uninhibited with what they post. Just because you have an opportunity to flame doesn't me you should; it's all about self control. Just for the record though, if anyone here were to run into me face-to-face then you can pretty much expect me to speak the same way I post here (down to the slight eccentricities).

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man Another thing to realize is that the internet has its limitations. A big part of discussions are tone. That doesn't exist over the net. People can miss interpret something as anything other than what it is. A good example is this post here, I can imagine someone thinking it cocky or its as some personal attack but I don't mean it to. This is my sincere effort to strengthen the Black Sabbath fan base.
    Too true. Normally when I'm typing something I always have a particular tone in mind so I'd know how I'd say it in person. But every now and then memebers will take my comments the wrong way or don't have a clue where I'm going with my post (hell, sometimes my phrasing is so weird even in a conversation my friends can get confused! )

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man Another thing to realize is that the internet has its limitations.
    Yep. Ultimately, we're just words on the screen to one another, so getting furious over a comment just seems ridiculous to me. Anyhow, like you said, it is Joe's sandbox and he can do as he pleases. Don't like it? Then go away! But giving him shit for it is an attitude proper of pre-pubescent kids.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

At the end of the day, Joe's kept this forum alive for years...so he's doing something right.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

One thing that I've always liked about this board is that it shows the appeal of Black Sabbath (and heavy metal music in general) is worldwide.

We have posters here from the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Brazil, continental Europe, Russia (help me if I've left a country out).

That's cool.
    He is not here. He has risen!

You've let out Argentina

Originally Posted By: Guillesab You've let out Argentina
    See? No one like argentinians

ps: brazilian joke.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Banned
    City:Jacare State:So Paulo Country:Brasil

I admire much more the argentinians, even being brasilian.

Originally Posted By: David86 Yep. Ultimately, we're just words on the screen to one another, so getting furious over a comment just seems ridiculous to me. Anyhow, like you said, it is Joe's sandbox and he can do as he pleases. Don't like it? Then go away! But giving him shit for it is an attitude proper of pre-pubescent kids.
    Very well said sir, sums it all up

One thing we all need to remember is that this is Joe's "house." He has opened the door and invited each of us in as a guest. As a guest of Joe's house we need to be respectful of his rules.

I am a member of 2 online Forums, and that is how I treat my membership in each of them.

If someone came into my home and started throwing stuff around and creating havoc, you can be darn sure I would show them the door.
    "I can honestly say its truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

I checked out the "other forum"... It's just a bitch fest on this board and it's admin!

Talk of nazism, facsism etc... Obscene stuff about Joe and his family... Even slagging friends like Ray Rules... Utter childishness.

Shows what a cool place this is and really anyone who goes over there with a view to join would surely just shrug and turn away if they read the shit going down there...

It's okay to be opinionated here... Just have the sense to back it up and show some respect.
    fast descending

I too have checked out the "other forum". What a fricken joke. It consists of the same three people cussing, using bad grammar and spelling, and just generally not saying anything even remotely intelligent or interesting.

Originally Posted By: bloodyangel I checked out the "other forum"... It's just a bitch fest on this board and it's admin!

Talk of nazism, facsism etc... Obscene stuff about Joe and his family... Even slagging friends like Ray Rules... Utter childishness.

Shows what a cool place this is and really anyone who goes over there with a view to join would surely just shrug and turn away if they read the shit going down there...

It's okay to be opinionated here... Just have the sense to back it up and show some respect.
    Well, I don't acess the so called "other board", but one thing I know, they don't talk shit about me. They are my friends, very, very close friends - Fred is coming down to Brazil in june - but I'm here and only here due loyalty to Joe. This is the first place I came for a forum and that's where I will stay.

I don't want to sound rude, but if you guys want to call Fred or anyother of the guys names, the best place is probably "the other board", and not here.

1) They can't reply here.
    2) Joe is trying to clean out the place, and keeping the harsh feelings and hateful language isn't the best way to help him with that.

As Franklin says, just my $0.02.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Banned
    City:Jacare State:So Paulo Country:Brasil

I'm on the other board, but I didn't say nothing that people are pointing out above.

I will say, I will stay on these boards. And so far, I've been accepted by everyone. And if the mods say I have a problem, I'll try to do whatever they say, even to things I don't agree with. I broke the signature rule by having too many spaces in between them. Joe informed me, and I accept it, no problem.

That being said, I too will not desert this board. And when Joe says that stuff about gangs, I tore down half of my sig in respect to him. I do want to say is that everyone should respect each other the same way they want to be treated. Joking is joking, but as Ray said that when the guy says stop, you BETTER stop. Some people, including msyself, just need to learn self restraint, and again respect each other's space. "I disagree" is fine. "You suck" not acceptable. I also think that the other board has some cool ideas as well, but cutting Joe down WAS and still IS crossing the line.

Ray can just join the other forums and stay cool with both sides of the scale, but he decided to stay here instead joining his great friends. That show's the man's integrity. I will say, I will not look down on him if he so does so.

Typing this, I realize what I'm saying is what others are saying before me. Things do happen, lifes to short, don't mess up and we should all do fine. I also said before that if you can't deal with that, the door is open and I won't stop you leaving, but I don't want anyone to leave either.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

....and something else we've forgotten to mention is Joe is PAYING for his webspace. We have this thing on his credit.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Originally Posted By: 8bit Fighter I do want to say is that everyone should respect each other the same way they want to be treated.
    Absolutely, I live my whole life by that rule.
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Originally Posted By: Ady
    Originally Posted By: 8bit Fighter I do want to say is that everyone should respect each other the same way they want to be treated.
    Same here

Originally Posted By: Niklas
    Originally Posted By: Ady
    Same here
    Well man, for me that's just common sense, but aparentely some people don't know that.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

I am an active contributor at two online forums and both are run by strict disciplinarians who demand that users follow the rules. Both are perfectly willing to let the troublemakers leave and only ask that they are careful not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out. [Ironically, I have literally read both of these site administrators use that phrase in their posts.]

Despite the occasional ruffled feathers, both are far better forums due to these site administrators.

Every man that is tossed out of a bar for unruly behavior blames the bartender and the bouncer for his problems...
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted By: Franklin Every man that is tossed out of a bar for unruly behavior blames the bartender and the bouncer for his problems...
    Let me add that freedom of speech without rules doesn't exist. You can have more or less freedom; but you can never have such freedom to speak everything that comes into your mind. Everything that you say has a penalty, if you are breaking some rules; either they are wrote or not (e.g. if you insult an american football player, you`re gonna be kicked in your ass...) Even there are things that are forbidden for being said, or you're going to jail (e.g. to threat someone to kill him) So, if that is in real life, how can someone think that has the right to say anything he wants in a private forum?

Joe,
    You and your team are doing and excellent job!
    Keep up the good work and 'Fight the Good Fight'!

This kind of stuff happens on every forum!
    So I'll say it this way;
    <span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #FF0000">NO ONE has an absolute freedom of speach!</span></span>

There will always be rules, and there will always be a consequence to your actions!

Finaly!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #FF6600">Do NOT Feed the Trools!</span> </span>

I've never really noticed a big problem on these forums, at leaste not one where most of the "Forum Regulars" would be involved like this one seemingly is, 'cept for me, but i wouldn't classify myself as one of the most important people to this forum. Anyway, like staed above, No one has the absolute freedom of speech. If that were true, though, forums like this "god forbid" would allgo to shit, like a lot of the others. This is my first forum that i started to post oin regularly. I've learned a lot from this forum. Hell, before i came here, i didn't know anythoing about Sabbath, 'cept that i liked their music. All i'm saying is, is that this forum is important to a lot of people, and if you, us even, the people who post things, let this go to shit, then it's a big waste.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Originally Posted By: celt I too have checked out the "other forum". What a fricken joke. It consists of the same three people cussing, using bad grammar and spelling, and just generally not saying anything even remotely intelligent or interesting.
    I've looked a few times. The kind of nonsense that is there is PRECISELY why I have the rules I do. To prevent 12 year olds (and those who want to act like that) from trashing the place. If that's their idea of "enlightened", well, then go play in your own sandbox - I don't miss behaviour like that AT ALL.

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Well, I don't acess the so called "other board", but one thing I know, they don't talk shit about me. They are my friends, very, very close friends - Fred is coming down to Brazil in june - but I'm here and only here due loyalty to Joe. This is the first place I came for a forum and that's where I will stay.
    I appreciate that, but if they are the friends you say they are, well, then you should read what they're saying. I'm big enough to take some insults, but if you think they're due your blind loyalty, go look at how they're behaving.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Good gravy, looks like I missed a whole lot of unnecessary bullshit.

Moderators are there for a reason. They moderate. If there weren't any, this place would be a wasteland. Everyone "have a Coke and a smile."

All the best,
    PAULIE

Originally Posted By: Joe Siegler
    Originally Posted By: celt I too have checked out the "other forum". What a fricken joke. It consists of the same three people cussing, using bad grammar and spelling, and just generally not saying anything even remotely intelligent or interesting.
    I've looked a few times. The kind of nonsense that is there is PRECISELY why I have the rules I do. To prevent 12 year olds (and those who want to act like that) from trashing the place. If that's their idea of "enlightened", well, then go play in your own sandbox - I don't miss behaviour like that AT ALL.

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Well, I don't acess the so called "other board", but one thing I know, they don't talk shit about me. They are my friends, very, very close friends - Fred is coming down to Brazil in june - but I'm here and only here due loyalty to Joe. This is the first place I came for a forum and that's where I will stay.
    I appreciate that, but if they are the friends you say they are, well, then you should read what they're saying. I'm big enough to take some insults, but if you think they're due your blind loyalty, go look at how they're behaving.
    I don't want to get myself between the hammer and the anvil, man, that's why I don't even acess their boards. I'm good here, trying to help you out turning the forum in what it was in the past, a very nice place to settle down and have a good moment. They are my friends, and we constantly talk on msn, but on the forum subject, as I said, I'm with you for the long ride.
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world

Wow.

Just...wow.

had no idea this stuff was going on. Not enough hours in the day.

For what it's worth: this board and it's rules are far less draconian than others out there.

This is the final thing I'm going to say in regards to the other board. These things were posted, and I'll say this and wash my hands of it.

Quote: Celt and any other members who dont like this board get the fuck out if you cant stand it,cant stand out Grammar mistakes,cant stand our silly 12 year-old acting. this board is not for you,but people who like to have some freedom of saying "Fuck" without it getting deleted.
    First off if you quit this board, why are you still reading it and then replying over there? If you have the balls to say something, then say it to me directly. Here. If you want to quit here, then QUIT. Stop reading. Go away. If you want to return, and play by the rules that everyone else seems to have no problem with, that's fine. But if you really want to leave - then LEAVE. Stop reading.

Also, if I wanted to block the word fuck, it'd be in the censor. I don't delete posts for that. I delete posts for what's in the rules. If you want to say something about me, at least say the right thing, don't make up inaccurate rules.

Quote: We are still being scolded for what ? Qutting ?
    No, for obscene thing like talking about my wife in insults about me on your board. That is so far out of bounds, it's not even REMOTELY funny. This in particular:

Quote:
    NWO: Joe Seigler
    EI: SEXUAL TRANSMITTED DISEASE
    NWO: uh His wife? LOL That was bad i admit but fucking FUNNY!
    EI: Off topic but wouldnt fuck her with your little pee pee !
    NWO: LOL OFF TOPIC? I NEVER BEEN MORE ON! LOL!
    You do dumb shit like that because you think you're some rebel punk ass something or other who doesn't want to play by rules. You want to know why I have the rule about bootlegs, and FTP and all that? It's because Sabbath band management monitors the board, looking for things like that. And guess what? They're monitoring you now too I would imagine, since you're linked from over here. Give the finger to Iommi all you want, they may come down on you. It's not for no reason I have the rules I have. But you don't want to see that. You want to think it's funny to sit there in your sandbox, taking a piss on my rules, and the way I have things set up.

Well, you know what? I'm done with you guys. If that's the kind of "educated" free board you want to run, try it. It's been done before. You'll have maybe a couple of members join you, and you'll be finished. Nobody will care, because it's EI & Wayout and their swearing 12 year old friends.

I'm being this way because of the stupid remarks about my wife you guys made. As I said, I can take insults, but you little stupid fucktards, MY FAMILY IS OUT OF BOUNDS, AND NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS. You have no right to say anything like that.

If you said something like that to my face, you might find yourself sucking your meals through a straw.

Sometimes I'm amazed I even try to be nice to you guys, but my religion and my God demand that I do. So I will. You want to return? Fine. But we will have to have a talk first. There's your olive branch. Take it or not.

If you don't take it, that's fine. I've tried. But you really don't want to cross me, or piss me off again like that. You might not like the way I retaliate beyond this rant above.

Keep my family out of it. Or else.

I read that on the other board, and I'm like "big wtf moment" right there. One thing to leave a board, it's another when you detest and ridicule your former message board provider. Should of just kept their mouth SHUT, but apparently that's why they left, because they simply can't. Joe I'm with you, you keep doing what you need to do.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Banned

It's well-known that I'm friends with NWO, and I have him on my MSN list; so naturally I'm a bit saddened and concerned by the way he's acting. I agree that he's said some stuff that's way out of bounds. I just wish that for one second he would take a step back, look at the stuff he's posting, and realize that he is taking it over the line.

I agree with 8bit on this one; Joe, do what you need to do. I hope that NWO doesn't take this personally, as I deeply respect the guy. But I can't really defend or side with someone when they're acting this way, it conflicts with my own values.

Nah ... I had something more to say, but changed my mind. I did look at their board, however ... and that one time was one time too many.

this is none of my business, but those insults are a few lightyears too far, and that olive branch is a pearl thrown to pigs (to use an image from the Book) - useless and wrong. Personally, I'd prefer not to be in the company of those people here, and I'd rather they are not readmitted.

my business: the thing with the bootlegs, the reason to forbid them has always been pretty clear; the DMB had problems, if I remember well, exactly due to that. The DPH is tolerated (well, even supported, by people such as Gillan, Dio, and many others, with freebies and exclusive interviews) because it has a lot of members, a strict policy of no official material whatsoever, and unconditional banning of anything by any band who gives any sign of not wanting it there. Now links to record shops that sell, amongst other things, bootlegs, I don't understand why they are not allowed. In the end, what happens is that a few lucky people know them, and most are out in the wild and end up buying fakes on ebay (too much of that there), which I think is worse for the bands. Because only a true fan buys a boot, and if he gets something made with quality, he'll be happy, if he gets a cheap CDR with home-printed cover, he'll be unhappy.

What I mean is that, ok, it's clear that "we have to respect the rules", but given that at least some people are both intelligent AND have a healthy inbuilt disrespect for authority, maybe some of these problems might have been avoided by spelling out loud and clear, from the beginning, the rationale behind the rules. Granted that this wouldn't help those with a silly inbuilt disrespect for authority AND lack of intelligence.

In regards to the things said about Joe's family on the "other board", NoWayOut and Eternal Idol, you two deserve to be called out for your scumbag comments!!! They are indefensible, and if you two had any shred of humanity in yourselves, you would be very ashamed. But since you both apparently think it was so funny, you obviously don't. Get it together and join the human race!

Spoke to NoWayOut. He asked me to quote the message he wrote there:

Quote: I Deleted the Heinous and Odious remarks of Joe's wife...
    I would greatly appreciate it if we do not mention Joe and or His Family here..Thats all i ask of you guys.It was wrong of me in the first place. Thanks

-NO WAY OUT
    Can't you see what I see
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world