Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules or Dehumanizer?

With a new Heaven and Hell (Black Sabbath w/Dio) album coming out soon, I'm wondering which Sabbath w/Dio "sound" or style most of you out there would like the new album to sound like or emulate--the early eighties more melodious sound of Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules, or the heavier, almost industrial sounding, Dehumanizer?

Default Re: Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules or Dehumanizer?

Well I'd look at their most recent releases. Fused, Master Of The Moon, and The Dio Years tracks. Combine those and I think you've got it.
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Okay, fair enough, Psycho Man. But which sound (early 80s Sab w/Dio or early 90s Sab w/Dio) would you (and anyone else out there) like the new album to most sound like?

None of them, I'd like to hear what new sound they can develop
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

Good point, Psycho Man, about coming up with something new and fresh. I myself, however, would like a little more of what they did with such songs as Children of the Sea, Sign of the Southern Cross, Falling off the Edge of the World, and even Too Late--that is, songs that slow down and soften in spots and then come roaring back with the bombast.

Considering the state of Ronnie's voice compared to 28 years ago, I think a record in the vein of Heaven and Hell would be out of the question. Still I wish they would do more fast stuff rather than slow, lest people be bored to death.

A full album is likely to contain songs of varying tempo so hopefully everyone will find something to suit, I personally just want to hear what the guys come up with next because for me they have always nailed it when together.

It's the latest Dio albums that have me worried, Master of the Moon especially wasn't too inspired. Hopefully the three new tracks on the Dio Years compilation aswell were just quickly thrown together from whatever leftovers they had lying around. Iommi and Ronnie, since Geezer and Vinnie won't be involved in the songwriting, need to rise to the occasion, expectations are grand.

Yes, expectations are grand. Hopefully Ronnie and Tony will bring it big time. I really think they can.

Hopefully Ronnie is inspired by the crowds he will see in his shows coming up, and get some ideas down.
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

While Dehumanizer is more the sound that I like, I still think mthat "Die Young" and "Falling Off the Edge of the World" are among the greatest songs ever recorded. I am afraid, however, that the focus of Relic's observation may carry a lot of influence.
    Originally Posted By: Relic It's the latest Dio albums that have me worried, Master of the Moon especially wasn't too inspired.
    Personally, I hope that they're able to put together a blend of the "Dio years" sounds and add a little something new to it. Not asking too much, am I?
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

I am a big fan of Mob Rules. My favorite of the 3 albums, however I would not want to have that period re-created. I think that as was stated above, you will have a Fused/Dio/Dio Years mix in the sound.

I like "The Devil Cried" but it is a bit cheesy in the lyrics department. "Ear in the Wall" is an awesome fast tempo song. "Shadow of the Wind" is the song that continues to grow on me. Every time I listen to the song, I like even more.

If they can get 10 - 12 songs in the vain of the 3 tracks from Dio Years, I feel we are in for a very good CD from Heaven and Hell!

I can not wait!
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Whatever they do, they won't embarrass themselves, these guys are really good when they can put their egos aside, which they seem to have FINALLY done!

I, too, like the 3 songs from "The Dio Years", to varying degrees. Production-wise, I hope the new album harkens back to the production sound of "Heaven & Hell" and "Mob Rules, while avoiding the garage-band sound of "Dehumanizer". I wish the entirety of "Dehumanizer" sounded like the "Wayne's World" version of "Time Machine". That is, more smooth-sounding, and less "grungey", if you get my drift. I feel it would have been a better album. If the new one sounds like "The Dio Years" tracks, production-wise, I'll be more than satisfied.
    "My sunshine is wind and rain and thunder."

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man Well I'd look at their most recent releases. Fused, Master Of The Moon, and The Dio Years tracks. Combine those and I think you've got it.
    Based on that logic, I hope Geezer has nothing to do with it!

Ronnie hasn't put out a decent Dio album since "Last In Line" IMO... he needs a decent songwriting/ quality control team... With Tony & Geezer, he has that... Hopefully it won't be an album of "The Devil Cried" like dirges... and they'll get a decent mixture of melody and crunch

I'm moderately hopeful... with fingers crossed!
    fast descending

While I liked the 3 songs from the Dio years, they seem to "plod" a little. I'm hoping for some faster paced material with some of the fluent Iommi solos that were on H&H and MR.
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Originally Posted By: bloodyangel Ronnie hasn't put out a decent Dio album since "Last In Line" IMO...
    I have to disagree... all Dio records were "decent", but no one since "Dream Evil" was "outstanding", if you know what I mean.
    But I hope that if they're taking some time to write, they come up with a really good album.

I'll put this on the table: it's a *NEW* Sabbath album, and I'm thankful for that.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Why donīt you want Geezer to be involved in the writing process? I think his solo stuff is great!

There are varying, to say the least, assessments of Geezer's solo recordings.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Although of the three Dio-era Sabbath albums, I always have and still do enjoy (for the most part) ONLY Mob Rules, I really wouldn't wanna wish to have the latest Heaven & Hell act to sound too much like anything of that era's invariably insipid output. And heaven forbid, nothing at all like what I've always regarded as the absolutely abysmal major chunk of Dio's solo career canon.

I reckon that basically means all I really want from H&H is a blatantly more daring, dangerous-sounding sort of record with songs that are played consistently faster, sound and feel more abrasive and are lyrically leaner and meaner (despite the incorrigibly corrupting influence of an ageing elf called RJD)
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Originally Posted By: 8bit Fighter I'll put this on the table: it's a *NEW* Sabbath album, and I'm thankful for that.
    So much said in so few words. Nicely put 8bit!
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

i've always preferred the Dehumanizer "sound" but i'd be fine with the production they used on the 3 new tracks.

either way, we're getting a new Dio-Sabbath record, and i couldn't be happier. it's sure to not disappoint.

and for people ragging on Dio's recent albums, Magica was a masterpiece in it's own right.

I'm hoping for a mix of the 3. I like Dehumanizers sound but I think out of the 3 it has the most throw away songs.

One more thing to add. I hope that the new CD is not maxed out in the compression department. The 3 Dio Years tracks are very "Loud." There have been a couple of threads discussing how new CD's are produced, and how they compress the music.

I am not a big fan of this, so if I have a say in it, which I don't :D, please mix it like H&H and MR. Nothing better than being able to hear those quiet parts to the songs.

I don't know if what I am typing is making sense, so here is a link to an article explaining what I am trying to say.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/05/16...ted-on-youtube/
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Originally Posted By: Dehumanizer6 and for people ragging on Dio's <u>recent</u> albums, Magica was a masterpiece in it's own right.
    It's been <u>eight</u> years since Magica's release, the same time that elapsed between Last in Line and Dehumanizer and again between Dehumanizer and Magica. Time sure flies, which, while I'm a fan of Magica, is the reason I'm not really too fussed up about the supposed sequels either.

Something along the lines of the 3 new tracks on the Dio Years album will be just fine, I think.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Heaven & Hell Part 2, it isn't gonna happen. Tony just isn't writing that way anymore.

His riffs are sludgier these days.

I'm listening to Dehumanizer right now.

I have always liked the sheer heaviness of this album.

New material in this vein wouldn't disappoint me at all.

I really liked "The Devil Cried" musically but I think the lyrics are silly. The "devil" stuff has been done to death. I wonder if Ronnie wrote that just because it's "expected" of Black Sabbath, like Tony Martin on much of Headless Cross. He's capable of so much more. Dehumanizer had some of his best lyrics.

However, I am disappointed that Geezer and Vinny aren't part of the writing process. It's always boggled me that Vinny never had any songwriting credits with Black Sabbath, when he had quite a few of them with Dio.
    He is not here. He has risen!

I'm listening to Dehumanizer right now.

I really liked "The Devil Cried" musically but I think the lyrics are silly. The "devil" stuff has been done to death. I wonder if Ronnie wrote that just because it's "expected" of Black Sabbath, like Tony Martin on much of Headless Cross. He's capable of so much more. Dehumanizer had some of his best lyrics.

However, I am disappointed that Geezer and Vinny aren't part of the writing process. It's always boggled me that Vinny never had any songwriting credits with Black Sabbath, when he had quite a few of them with Dio.
    He is not here. He has risen!

I wonder if the fact that Geezer, the prolific lyric writer that he is, did not participate in the writing of the three new songs recorded for "Dio Years", and purportedly will not be involved in the writing phase of the new album, is because he simply wants to avoid any possbility of conflict with Dio, who of course will take the lead in regards to lyrical content.

I recall hearing that there was conflict between Geezer and Dio during the writing of Dehumanizer, and then between Geezer and Tony Martin during the writing of Cross Purposes.

So although I think that Geezer's contributions would only make the album stronger, perhaps after 40 years in the business he knows how egos can clash during the delicate writing process, and simply wants to avoid any such occurrance.

I wonder if the fact that Geezer, the prolific lyric writer that he is, did not participate in the writing of the three new songs recorded for "Dio Years", and purportedly will not be involved in the writing phase of the new album, is because he simply wants to avoid any possbility of conflict with Dio, who of course will take the lead in regards to lyrical content.

I recall hearing that there was conflict between Geezer and Dio during the writing of Dehumanizer, and then between Geezer and Tony Martin during the writing of Cross Purposes.

So although I think that Geezer's contributions would only make the album stronger, perhaps after 40 years in the business he knows how egos can clash during the delicate writing process, and simply wants to avoid any such occurrance.

Banned

Originally Posted By: DiosSword I'm listening to Dehumanizer right now.

Agreed completely. Dehumanizer has to be the best Dio-era album for me.

I couldn't care less for Dehumanizer. Mob Rules is great, but I prefer the first one from this formation. Heaven and Hell, that's what I'm talking about.
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

I couldn't care less for Dehumanizer. Mob Rules is great, but I prefer the first one from this formation. Heaven and Hell, that's what I'm talking about.
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Banned

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules I couldn't care less for Dehumanizer. Mob Rules is great, but I prefer the first one from this formation. Heaven and Hell, that's what I'm talking about.
    Then we are on opposite ends of the spectrum, mate.

Heaven and Hell has gotta be my least favorite of the Dio-era albums.

Banned

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules I couldn't care less for Dehumanizer. Mob Rules is great, but I prefer the first one from this formation. Heaven and Hell, that's what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted By: Buttock1234

I agree with you, Dehumanizer is an extremely strong and is quite underrated compared to Heaven and Hell

Originally Posted By: Buttock1234

I agree with you, Dehumanizer is an extremely strong and is quite underrated compared to Heaven and Hell

My favorite of the three is mob rules but it would be cool to have maby a mix of dehuminizer and mob rules