Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ancient or modern weapons?

Personally, i hate modern weapons.
    Such as pistols, rifles etc.
    I prefer swords, spears, bow and arrow.
    Which sometimes really requires experience to be used.
    I had a M1 Garand rifle before, which was not working.
    I gave it to the police.
    Cuttong weapons are more legal here in Norway.

Default Re: Ancient or modern weapons?

Well I like both but prefer rifles. I have a few WWII era rifles in my collection that I shoot as often as I can.

The only thing I'd want a weapon for is to defend myself if someone ever breaks into my house. A fucking 5-pound axe is not gonna be useful :p
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I could go either way. As of lately though with the NIU college shooting, the weapon of choice is a baseball bat, preferably metal. Like Dave, I to would like something easy yet still effective. I would want to at least take down the stupid jerk from behind and start swinging with my stored andredaline from people who pist me off and use it on the jerk. RIP people of NIU.

EDIT: The more I think about it though, it would only work if the jerk wasn't paying attention.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

I tend to lean more toward early weapons, though I'd dearly love to have a lightsabre if such things existed!
    He is not here. He has risen!

Swords and axes are good for close combat.
    Of course, it would be a little messed up.
    I don't think people want to wash their homes to much.

Just give me a picture of Bobby Rondinelli after he wake up. The image of his messy hair would make ANY bad guy run alway crying for his life!

Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Just give me a picture of Bobby Rondinelli after he wake up. The image of his messy hair would make ANY bad guy run alway crying for his life!

Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Just give me a picture of Bobby Rondinelli after he wake up. The image of his messy hair would make ANY bad guy run alway crying for his life!

Yeah, i believe that

Originally Posted By: Ray Rules Just give me a picture of Bobby Rondinelli after he wake up. The image of his messy hair would make ANY bad guy run alway crying for his life!

Yeah, i believe that

Banned

Old-school weapons.

You can't go wrong with a flail/mace/spiked-club.

Banned

Old-school weapons.

You can't go wrong with a flail/mace/spiked-club.

Not much into weapons myself, but we have a huge SCA crowd in town that puts on a massive medieval faire every February. I have to admit that a bad melee is more interesting than a good shootout. I also have some hunter friends that tell me for the pure sport and challenge they prefer bows over rifles and shotguns.
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

Not much into weapons myself, but we have a huge SCA crowd in town that puts on a massive medieval faire every February. I have to admit that a bad melee is more interesting than a good shootout. I also have some hunter friends that tell me for the pure sport and challenge they prefer bows over rifles and shotguns.
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

Since I do filipino martial arts, my weapons are sticks and knives, and the kerambit (special kind of knife). I'm gonna be instructor if I pass my next exam in April.

Originally Posted By: Guillesab Since I do filipino martial arts, my weapons are sticks and knives, and the kerambit (special kind of knife). I'm gonna be instructor if I pass my next exam in April.

I agree. However, a have a few of each. Target practice is fun. I believe in self-defense and capability.

MG 42

Ideal for home defence.

Or my steel toecap Doc Marten boots.

MG 42

Ideal for home defence.

I've never really been too fascinated by or overly keen on 'weapons' of any sort. And having always been a strident advocate of very stringent, sensible and enforceable gun-control laws, everywhere, I'm not about to say how much I love 'modern' 'sexy' guns and firearms.

However, if forced to choose by way of making a statement of personal preference, I'd definitely opt for 'ancient' weapons. There's a certain red-blooded, adrenalised vigour and sheer physicality to actually wielding and regularly using antiquated weaponry that I sort of instinctively find extremely exhilarating. Though, I imagine all this for direct combat (in self-defence or otherwise) with other humans, not for viciously and cravenly hunting and slaying animals.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

I've never really been too fascinated by or overly keen on 'weapons' of any sort. And having always been a strident advocate of very stringent, sensible and enforceable gun-control laws, everywhere, I'm not about to say how much I love 'modern' 'sexy' guns and firearms.

However, if forced to choose by way of making a statement of personal preference, I'd definitely opt for 'ancient' weapons. There's a certain red-blooded, adrenalised vigour and sheer physicality to actually wielding and regularly using antiquated weaponry that I sort of instinctively find extremely exhilarating. Though, I imagine all this for direct combat (in self-defence or otherwise) with other humans, not for viciously and cravenly hunting and slaying animals.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Originally Posted By: Mr. Haskins MG 42

Ideal for home defence.

Why not M60
    And your teeth.

Ideal for home defence.

Why not M60
    And your teeth.

Originally Posted By: Raven Rider

Ideal for home defence.

Why not M60
    And your teeth.
    what i find really interesting is that the mg42 is still classified as one of, if not the best MG's ever designed, thus proving the old say, "they never make things like they used too!" lol

(btw, why youd need a mg that fired approx 1000 rounds per minute is beyond me!!)
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Ideal for home defence.

Why not M60
    And your teeth.
    what i find really interesting is that the mg42 is still classified as one of, if not the best MG's ever designed, thus proving the old say, "they never make things like they used too!" lol

(btw, why youd need a mg that fired approx 1000 rounds per minute is beyond me!!)
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Serpiko

no weapons, peace

what ever happened to the old fashioned fist fight. to many wimps could not handle a good old butt kicking so they had to start shooting people.

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever I've never really been too fascinated by or overly keen on 'weapons' of any sort. And having always been a strident advocate of very stringent, sensible and enforceable gun-control laws, everywhere, I'm not about to say how much I love 'modern' 'sexy' guns and firearms.
    I agree with you, and, without wanting to get too political I think that's why Australia's rate of violent crime is much lower than it is here in the USA. I live just across the river from Canada and their violent crime rate is much lower, even in big cities like Toronto and Montreal. I think their laws are pretty similar to what you have in Australia.

I live near one of the most violent cities in the country, Detroit, and a day doesn't go by without hearing about someone getting shot. A saying about the Motor City is "Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten."

It is very easy to get a gun here. You don't have to go to a gun dealer or anything; just have the right connections.

That said, I have nothing against those who are legitimate gun collectors, have the proper training and licensure, and use them for things like target shooting, hunting and self-defence.

In the US Air Force you have to qualify with the M-16. If you're really good you get the Air Force Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon (I didn't get it). I imagine it's much the same in the Royal Australian Air Force.

I've fired an Uzi submachine gun, but it was no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

I don't like fighting, but I've done plenty of it. My dad always told me not to look for trouble but don't take any shit if someone attacks you.

I agree with danzig2020's post.

Yea, the overall rate of violent crime involving firearms is-- mercifully--remarkably low today here in Australia (as indeed in 'safe' Canada that I'm aware of), but it used to be even lower in the past. I'm not sure about the current statistics across our vast country and major cities. And I'm not too clued in either, about the exact gun-ownership laws in existence in my country today. However, without getting into all the local specifics that I do know, in short, it's always been very tough to get a personal gun for the average Adelaider.

Violent crime is one of the few top scourges that so bedevils many societies around the world and like I've stated in my last post, I'm a firm believer and proponent of 'gun-control' laws, however much that reflexively antagonises the gun lobby and the gun-loving/worshipping faithful. I, too, am not virulently opposed to private gun ownership within certain parameters---like you said, legitimate collectors, also sportsmen, legal hunting with restrictions, validated self-defence needs of private users and other contexts within which law-abiding citizens at large with the requisite training and legal licensing may be able to obtain a gun. I just think that the wrong-headed, self-serving, catastrophically anachronistic intransigence of the formidable gun-industry, gun-owners and their allies in the general public have served America horribly. This is borne out by the current lax laws contributing, in no small way, to the frankly, frightening and ceaseless, spiralling toll that gun-related violence is taking on American lives.

Don't worry, I'm not gonna wax political here anymore. Gosh, Randy, now that we're into guns and crime, I won't even wade into the incendiary arenas of the death penalty, abortion, school prayer, stem cell research, gay marriage, environmental laws and other hot-button issues cos I'd just blow my cover and you'd lip the dreaded L-word.

And hey, you're mostly right about the situation in RAAF with skills with guns being duly honoured and rewarded, professionally. I also agree with your dad's priceless advice and danzig's call for the good, old fists flying and doing the talking instead of cravenly resorting to guns.

Here in the U.S. the Supreme Court is right now ruling on whether Washington D.C.'s gun ban is Constitutional. I don't think there will ever be a straight up-and-down ruling on whether the U.S. Constitution Second Amendment states flatly that individuals can own any gun they want.

Also, here it depends on what state you're in, and we've got 50 states, so the laws are literally all over the map. At least you've only got six states, the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory to deal with. Are the laws different in, for example, Queensland as opposed to South Australia, or fairly uniform across your country?

The dreaded "L-word?" You mean "liberal?" That's become an insult in many quarters here but I don't take it that way...I'm a lifelong Democrat.

No, I don't want to get too political either, so suffice it to say that if someone aggresses me they're much more liable to get "five across the lip" than a bullet, since I don't own a gun.

But, again, if such a thing existed, I'd love to have a lightsabre.

Here in the U.S. the Supreme Court is right now ruling on whether Washington D.C.'s gun ban is Constitutional. I don't think there will ever be a straight up-and-down ruling on whether the U.S. Constitution Second Amendment states flatly that individuals can own any gun they want.

Also, here it depends on what state you're in, and we've got 50 states, so the laws are literally all over the map. At least you've only got six states, the Australian Capital Territory and the Northern Territory to deal with. Are the laws different in, for example, Queensland as opposed to South Australia, or fairly uniform across your country?

The dreaded "L-word?" You mean "liberal?" That's become an insult in many quarters here but I don't take it that way...I'm a lifelong Democrat.

No, I don't want to get too political either, so suffice it to say that if someone aggresses me they're much more liable to get "five across the lip" than a bullet, since I don't own a gun.

But, again, if such a thing existed, I'd love to have a lightsabre.

All I need is something to prevent 1984 from happening
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

All I need is something to prevent 1984 from happening
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

I gave it to the police.
    Too bad; I would have bought that Garand from you.

As far as the 2nd Amendment ruling....bah. The Constitution is pretty clear to me. IMO, anyone should be able to own ANY weapon they want. If you can afford it, you can have it. That's the catch though, right? Want to buy a surplus Aircraft Carrier? Go right ahead, but don't believe the government will sell it to you for cheap!

Same rationale as cars (which are FAR more deadly ANYWHERE in the world you go). Who NEEDS a car that goes 190 mph? Who NEEDS a car that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds? No one, right? But if you can afford it, you can buy it. Abuse that privilege (kill someone in a wreck, drunk driving, etc.) you get it revoked.

Same basic principle, but not a perfect analogy.

I gave it to the police.
    Too bad; I would have bought that Garand from you.

As far as the 2nd Amendment ruling....bah. The Constitution is pretty clear to me. IMO, anyone should be able to own ANY weapon they want. If you can afford it, you can have it. That's the catch though, right? Want to buy a surplus Aircraft Carrier? Go right ahead, but don't believe the government will sell it to you for cheap!

Same rationale as cars (which are FAR more deadly ANYWHERE in the world you go). Who NEEDS a car that goes 190 mph? Who NEEDS a car that can go 0-60 in 4 seconds? No one, right? But if you can afford it, you can buy it. Abuse that privilege (kill someone in a wreck, drunk driving, etc.) you get it revoked.

Same basic principle, but not a perfect analogy.

I wondered when you would weigh in, given that you're a lifetime NRA member. You and I both know what a hot-button topic gun control is right now here in the USA. I certainly didn't intend any offence.

However, I do think the pro- and anti-gun control factions will still be fighting about this until the Supreme Court finally gives a one-way-or-the-other ruling on individual gun ownership and the true meaning of the Second Amendment.

My dad once told me that the M1 Garand from his Army days was a great rifle (he qualified as a marksman) but to watch the bolt because it'd take your thumb off if you weren't careful.

Very true. The Garand takes some careful handling for that very reason. Another reason it was updated and relieved from service.

I agree, gun control will always be a hot topic in the US, but I'm confident in the current Court to make the right decision.

Very true. The Garand takes some careful handling for that very reason. Another reason it was updated and relieved from service.

I agree, gun control will always be a hot topic in the US, but I'm confident in the current Court to make the right decision.

Banned

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man All I need is something to prevent 1984 from happening
    May I suggest a time machine?

Banned

Originally Posted By: Psycho Man All I need is something to prevent 1984 from happening

Originally Posted By: devilmaycare

HEY-OOOOH!! It's a zinger!!!