Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Official Hawkwind Thread

Well, we seem to have at least three Hawkwind fans on this forum, including myself, so I figure it's time to have a Hawkwind thread, since they are one of my favorite bands.

Anyway, to all the Hawk-heads out there, what are you favorite Hawkwind songs and albums? Mine are:

Favorite Albums: (in order of)

1. Space Ritual (live): Best live album EVER.
    2. Doremi Fasol Latido
    3. Hall of the Mountain Grill
    4. Warrior on the Edge of Time
    5. Quark Strangeness and Charm

Favorite Songs:

1. The Psychadelic Warlords (Dissappear in Smoke)
    2. Paradox
    3. Seven by Seven (from Space Ritual)
    4. Orgone Accumulator (from Space Ritual)
    5. Master of the Universe
    6. The Forge of Vulcan
    7. Assault and Battery
    8. Space is Deep
    9. Down Through The Night
    10. Born To Go (from Space Ritual)

Default Official Hawkwind Thread

Well, we seem to have at least three Hawkwind fans on this forum, including myself, so I figure it's time to have a Hawkwind thread, since they are one of my favorite bands.

Anyway, to all the Hawk-heads out there, what are you favorite Hawkwind songs and albums? Mine are:

Favorite Albums: (in order of)

1. Space Ritual (live): Best live album EVER.
    2. Doremi Fasol Latido
    3. Hall of the Mountain Grill
    4. Warrior on the Edge of Time
    5. Quark Strangeness and Charm

Favorite Songs:

1. The Psychadelic Warlords (Dissappear in Smoke)
    2. Paradox
    3. Seven by Seven (from Space Ritual)
    4. Orgone Accumulator (from Space Ritual)
    5. Master of the Universe
    6. The Forge of Vulcan
    7. Assault and Battery
    8. Space is Deep
    9. Down Through The Night
    10. Born To Go (from Space Ritual)

Default Re: Official Hawkwind Thread

Lemmy use to be in HawkWind right? I Havent Heard Much of it but Ill Take a Lison on Youtube.

Lemmy use to be in HawkWind right? I Havent Heard Much of it but Ill Take a Lison on Youtube.

Lemmy was a member of Hawkwind from 1971 - 1975.

The official albums he appeared on were Doremi Fasol Latido ('72), Space Ritual ('73), Hall of the Mountain Grill ('74) and Warrior on the Edge of Time ('75)

Lemmy sang on their biggest hit, Silver Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZ_Lg21b14

He was fired when they were entering Canada and he got caught by customs having a load of speed on him.

I don't think I can pick any favourites, it's all so good what I've bought so far.

The albums I have:

Hawkwind
    X In Search of Space
    Doremi Fasol Latido
    Space Ritual
    Hall of the Mountain Grill
    Warrior on the Edge of Time
    Astounding Sounds Amazing Music
    Quark Strangeness and Charm
    25 Years On - Hawklords
    PXR5
    Live Seventy Nine
    Levitation
    Church of Hawkwind
    The 1999 Party (Live 1974)

Two albums by the spin-off band Space Ritual, which features all ex-Hawkwind members:

Live at the Venusian Electric Ballroom in the Cygnus 5 Galaxy
    Otherworld (A new studio album released last year - brilliant)

A Robert Calvert (Late ex-Hawkwind singer) solo album:

Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters
    Last edited by Ady; 04-29-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo, noticed 4 years later!
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Originally Posted By: Ady Lemmy was a member of Hawkwind from 1971 - 1975.

The official albums he appeared on were Doremi Fasol Latido ('72), Space Ritual ('73), Hall of the Mountain Grill ('74) and Warrior on the Edge of Time ('75)

Lemmy sang on their biggest hit, Siver Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZ_Lg21b14

He was fired when they were entering Canada and he got caught by customs having a load of speed on him.
    And Motorhead is named after a song he wrote and sang with Hawkwind. If you've never heard the Hawkwind version you should seek it out, it's awesome and way better than the Motorhead version.
    montreal '86 / montreal '92 / montreal '94 / toronto '99
    montreal '07 / quebec '07 / ottawa '07 / toronto '08 / philadelphia '13 / ottawa '14

Originally Posted By: Ady Lemmy was a member of Hawkwind from 1971 - 1975.

Lemmy sang on their biggest hit, Siver Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZ_Lg21b14

And Motorhead is named after a song he wrote and sang with Hawkwind. If you've never heard the Hawkwind version you should seek it out, it's awesome and way better than the Motorhead version.
    montreal '86 / montreal '92 / montreal '94 / toronto '99
    montreal '07 / quebec '07 / ottawa '07 / toronto '08 / philadelphia '13 / ottawa '14

God bless the spaceship Hawkwind and all who sail!!!

Long live Captain Brock!

This is essential viewing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRw_rvrXQiQ
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

I have mixed feelings about Hawkwind. I was a big fan of theirs in the early 1980's. I spent considerable time collecting their early albums, which even then were hard to find and, on occasion, expensive.

As I've written before I got rid of some of my hard to find Hawkwind albums and I kick myself for that.

My collection should be:
    Hawkwind
    In Search of Space
    Space Ritual
    Hall of the Mountain Grill
    Warrior on the Edge of Time
    Quark Strangeness and Charm
    Live 79
    Sonic Attack
    Choose Your Masques

I recently purchased Space Ritual on CD and may seek some of the earlier albums on CD. I don't think I'm willing to go to the expense and trouble of obtaining their really expensive imports or extreme rarities. Been there, done that, don't feel like doing it again.

Favorite album: Space Ritual
    Favorite song(s): Side four of Space Ritual
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Here's another good youtube video. This is Damnation Alley from the Quark Strangeness and Charm album, but this is live concert footage of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqeEq...eature=related
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Here's another good youtube video. This is Damnation Alley from the Quark Strangeness and Charm album, but this is live concert footage of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqeEq...eature=related
    --Benjamin Franklin

Have you heard Levitation, Franklin?

It's a fantastic album and has become one of my favourites over the past few weeks. Ginger Baker plays drums on it, I never knew that until fairly recently.

This is the second track, Motorway City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siku4-qlN64
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Originally Posted By: Ady Have you heard Levitation, Franklin?

It's a fantastic album and has become one of my favourites over the past few weeks. Ginger Baker plays drums on it, I never knew that until fairly recently.

This is the second track, Motorway City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siku4-qlN64
    I know I'm not Franklin, but I just recently heard Levitation for the first time... it's a fantastic album, I must agree.

Originally Posted By: Ady Have you heard Levitation, Franklin?

I know I'm not Franklin, but I just recently heard Levitation for the first time... it's a fantastic album, I must agree.

Originally Posted By: SabbathSteve I know I'm not Franklin, but I just recently heard Levitation for the first time... it's a fantastic album, I must agree.
    Hey, no worries, I didn't realise you were new to it as well.

I was very lucky with Levitation. I think I mentioned on another thread that a friend of mine who emigrated gave me some Hawkwind CDs. Well, that album was one of them and it sells for over 20/$40 on eBay!

I also just came across this promo of World of Tiers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=092aE9HuAUA
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

In the early 80's, I was actually a bigger fan of the newer era of Hawkwind (1977 to 1982) than the early era. I owned and liked Quark Strangeness & Charm, Live 79, Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. Levitation, however, slipped through the cracks. Remember, I was buying Hawkwind albums as I was finding them, and that didn't always allow for the purchase of all their albums, even immediately following their releases.

Live 79 was one of my very favorite albums (by Hawkwind or anyone else), and it included Motorway City. Motorway City was one of my very favorite Hawkwind songs at that time, though I had no idea that it was from an album called Levitation. The version that you linked to sounds very much like the Live 79 version. BTW, I never saw Live 79 in a record store on any other occastion than the one where I bought it. I was fortunate to have had money to buy it when I saw it.
    --Benjamin Franklin

In the early 80's, I was actually a bigger fan of the newer era of Hawkwind (1977 to 1982) than the early era. I owned and liked Quark Strangeness & Charm, Live 79, Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. Levitation, however, slipped through the cracks. Remember, I was buying Hawkwind albums as I was finding them, and that didn't always allow for the purchase of all their albums, even immediately following their releases.

Live 79 was one of my very favorite albums (by Hawkwind or anyone else), and it included Motorway City. Motorway City was one of my very favorite Hawkwind songs at that time, though I had no idea that it was from an album called Levitation. The version that you linked to sounds very much like the Live 79 version. BTW, I never saw Live 79 in a record store on any other occastion than the one where I bought it. I was fortunate to have had money to buy it when I saw it.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Among the weird Hawkwind goodies that I have in my possession is a version they did of the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter, that is every bit the bizarre combo that you could imagine it would be. Contains all the weird space effects of Hawkwind along with the hard blues with harmonica that you would get from the Stones. Weirdest damn thing I ever heard, but fantastic.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Among the weird Hawkwind goodies that I have in my possession is a version they did of the Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter, that is every bit the bizarre combo that you could imagine it would be. Contains all the weird space effects of Hawkwind along with the hard blues with harmonica that you would get from the Stones. Weirdest damn thing I ever heard, but fantastic.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I was aware that Ginger Baker played drums with Hawkwind, though apparently not on the albums I owned. Speaking of old Cream guys, Jack Bruce played with Robin Trower on the BLT (B stood for Bruce, not bacon) album. I know SabbathSteve is a Trower fan. It's worth checking out.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I was aware that Ginger Baker played drums with Hawkwind, though apparently not on the albums I owned. Speaking of old Cream guys, Jack Bruce played with Robin Trower on the BLT (B stood for Bruce, not bacon) album. I know SabbathSteve is a Trower fan. It's worth checking out.
    --Benjamin Franklin

One last thing: I'm with SabbathSteve on Psychedelic Warlords. Love that song. One of their best.
    --Benjamin Franklin

One last thing: I'm with SabbathSteve on Psychedelic Warlords. Love that song. One of their best.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted By: Franklin In the early 80's, I was actually a bigger fan of the newer era of Hawkwind (1977 to 1982) than the early era. I owned and liked Quark Strangeness & Charm, Live 79, Sonic Attack and Choose Your Masques. Levitation, however, slipped through the cracks. Remember, I was buying Hawkwind albums as I was finding them, and that didn't always allow for the purchase of all their albums, even immediately following their releases.
    I'm having trouble finding them at reasonable prices now. Sonic Attack is on a couple of sites for around 40 and it's the next one I need if I want to keep buying them chronologically. No way am I paying that much for a CD.

I thought about breaking my tradition of buying chronologically when Chronicle of the Black Sword appeared on eBay at 7. I've kept an eye on it and it's gone up to 27 with 7 hours left.

I wish that they'd get re-releases! It's a crime that albums like Quark & Levitation are OOP and it's just giving greedy bootleggers more opportunities to make money.

Quote: Live 79 was one of my very favorite albums (by Hawkwind or anyone else), and it included Motorway City. Motorway City was one of my very favorite Hawkwind songs at that time, though I had no idea that it was from an album called Levitation. The version that you linked to sounds very much like the Live 79 version. BTW, I never saw Live 79 in a record store on any other occastion than the one where I bought it. I was fortunate to have had money to buy it when I saw it.
    Yeah, that's a great live album and another one that was given to me. There is also a double CD called Complete 79, which features a recording of an entire gig from the '79 tour. I saw it on eBay last night, but this review has put me off: http://www.starfarer.net/complete79.html
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

I've never listened to Hawkwind. I will check out some of the links above.

I'm a huge huge life-time fan of Michael Moorcock, the author. I have been reading all his books over and over my whole life. (reading the Corum books for the 4th time right now)

I know he had or has something to do with Hawkwind, but I'm not too sure what it is or was.

I just listened to the title track from Levitation again... man oh man, that is a CLASSIC Hawkwind song. The chorus is so catchy, and the long spcaey instrumental portion is great as usual.

Oh, and I thought I'd mention that "Forge of Vulcan" from Quark Strangeness and Charm is such an amazing instrumental. I just love that spacey synthesizer riff that's repeated endlessly. It's perfect.

Originally Posted By: Charliep I've never listened to Hawkwind. I will check out some of the links above.

I'm a huge huge life-time fan of Michael Moorcock, the author. I have been reading all his books over and over my whole life. (reading the Corum books for the 4th time right now)

I know he had or has something to do with Hawkwind, but I'm not too sure what it is or was.
    Being a fan of Moorcock is a good start!

This is a good article on his involvement with Hawkwind: http://www.novymir.com.au/terminalcafe/hawkwind.html
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Originally Posted By: Ady Being a fan of Moorcock is a good start!

This is a good article on his involvement with Hawkwind: http://www.novymir.com.au/terminalcafe/hawkwind.html

Thank you! Music about my favorite stories... I will have to check this out.

Michael Moorcock also wrote a book called Time of the Hawklords. I used to own a copy, but I have no idea what happened to it.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted By: Charliep

I quite liked the Corum books - had them years ago. A great writer!
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Originally Posted By: SabbathSteve Oh, and I thought I'd mention that "Forge of Vulcan" from Quark Strangeness and Charm is such an amazing instrumental. I just love that spacey synthesizer riff that's repeated endlessly. It's perfect.
    Someone uploaded it with a nice video today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNeiom-wRm4
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

I only have Doremi Fasol Latido, and while it is not something that I listen to every day (a bit too loose and unfocused for that in my opinion), I do take it down from the shelf and give it a spin every once in a while.

Being a fan of Moorcock I might have to check out Warrior on the Edge of Time. it is about Elric is it not?

Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth Being a fan of Moorcock I might have to check out Warrior on the Edge of Time. it is about Elric is it not?
    It is. It's a difficult album to get hold of though. I found out recently that my CD of it isn't an official release, but a high quality bootleg made by a 'company' called Rock Fever Music. It even has bonus tracks.
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Banned

Originally Posted By: Ady Have you heard <span style="font-style: italic">Levitation</span>, Franklin?

This is the second track, <span style="font-style: italic">Motorway City</span>: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siku4-qlN64
    I was never a HUGE fan, but I did go see them them on that tour... I remember that Mamas Boys were the support act, and that air was so thick you could cut it with a knife! I'd forgotten all about it until I read this thread...

Originally Posted By: devilmaycare I was never a HUGE fan
    No, I wasn't until fairly recently.
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

Originally Posted By: SabbathSteve I just listened to the title track from Levitation again... man oh man, that is a CLASSIC Hawkwind song. The chorus is so catchy, and the long spcaey instrumental portion is great as usual.
    Here's a great live version from the 1980 tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUhquia23Q8

Love that intro!
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<

I'm interested in learning more about Hawkwind. Where would any of you recommend that a novice start?

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg I'm interested in learning more about Hawkwind. Where would any of you recommend that a novice start?
    I recommend you watch this documentary first: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRw_rvrXQiQ
    >>TECHNICI腘S 諪 SP臗E
    SHIP E臨TH THIS IS
    Y周R C腜T臝N SPE腒ING
    Y周R 嘏PT臝N IS DEA˝D<<