Default Maiden: this time I won't support the underdog...

All right, I've finally gotten some of the Maiden albums missing from my collection, The X Factor included.

To be fair, I expected something far worse vocal-wise, but the new Maiden vocalist didn't convince me.
    At times I thought that he was singing completely regardless of the music. This of course happens when a singer is brought to record a pre-written material so he can't fit it to his style but AFAIK this is not the case with Bayley and TXF.
    Another thing that's bothering me about Bayley's performance on TXF was, surprisingly, pronunciation. That's something of a sore question for myself, since I can't get the words right at times myself, but for an Englishman, having a pronunciation of a Russian singer trying to sing a song in English for the first time is impardonable.

The material itself on TXF is passable although not memorable for the most part. The only songs I memorized quickly were the first 3 and then The Aftermath (these song, of course, fucking rock). The rest had a trouble gripping with my brain, being midtempo, rather monotone and having similar styled intros on EVERY FUCKING song. On the other hand, Sign of the Cross (almost wrote <span style="font-style: italic">Southern</span> Cross ), Lord of the Flies and Man on the Edge sounded good with Bruce. So the trouble wasn't with the songs.

When comparing the same songs sung by the two vocalists, the winner is clearly Dickinson. He made Sign of the Cross, an already great song, something out of this world on Rock in Rio. On the other hand, my new favourite Maiden song, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, sounded rather flat with Blaze (although thankfully, this song is all about the instrumental, vocals are superficial in it).

So, today I've broken the rule of always supporting the underdogs. I know Rodrigo is probably going to hack me to pieces for that but... I have sinned.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Default Re: Maiden: this time I won't support the underdog...

We Talking About Blaze as Volcist for Maiden?

Yeah, Blaze had a few nice songs but that's about it... read something about vocal problems, dunno if it's true though. X Factor is quite monotone, I find Virtual XI to be more listenable than the former (Futureal FTW). And of course the winner is Bruce, absolutlely no contest.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I lov blaze as a Maiden singer i Love most of his songs i like him as much as i like Bruce. for me Bruce and Blaze are Tied as Maiden singers

Originally Posted By: LordOfMetal We Talking About Blaze as Volcist for Maiden?
    Yep, I haven't checked out any of his solo stuff. To be honest, not sure I will.

BTW, Blaze sounds like Ozzy at times... and for me, that's a BIG drawback.

Default Re: Maiden: this time I won't support the underdog

I kind of wish the best of X Factor and Virtual XI to be re-recorded with Bruce. Blaze ruins otherwise good songs.

I have mixed feelings about this era. I am a great fan of all eras and I really love everything they have done.

X factor was in my opinion a great album. Yes, a little bit monotone but it shows the state of mind of Steve in that period of time. Steve was in the middle of a great depression due to the death of his father, being in the middle of a divorce, Bruce leaving the band etc.

I think this album reflects this atmosphere of decadence greatly. My favorite theme on this album is 2 AM. A non- typical very dark for maiden son. This album is Steve from the beginning to the end. If other maiden albums were a mix of input from Bruce, Adrian, Dave, Nicko, Steve...this is Steve solo album. And a very depressive dark one. Blaze's dark voice fits here perfectly.

Virtual XI was a brighter album but IMO inferior to X, but a very good one anyway. Como estais amigos?, Lightning Strikes Twice, Futureal... Great tunes there as well.

The problem with Blaze was live. Hes dark voice didn't fit well Bruce material live. The infamous Trooper on youtube where a fan spits on Blaze face is really the worse version of The Trooper ever made. Some other video that if floating the web is Blaze version of "The evil that men do.." , which is just horrible. That said, he did some very decent versions of "fear of the dark" and even a half-decent "Hallowed...". OTOH he could sing DiAnnos songs pretty well. His style was pretty static, which was a big miss. He had not the energy Bruce had. Very few people can command the audience like Bruce can. Very few leaders of a band can run, jump, scream, sing, like Bruce, who only by raising his hand can cause a whole arena to scream and burn.

OTOH Bruce could do a real good version of all Blaze's songs (not so dark, but technically correct).

Being so different, a lot of fans abandoned maiden's boat when Blaze came aboard. I still enjoy Blazes albums a lot. Sure, he is not Bruce. On the other hand nobody can compare to Bruce, who is not the most technical singer out there, but who is surely one of the most magical and most adored ones.

I am glad that Maiden had this dark period. Under the mean time Bruce created 2 of the greatest metal albums ever recorded: "Accident of birth" and especially "Chemical wedding", so we, who enjoyed Blaze could have double fun.

Originally Posted By: Rover At times I thought that he was singing completely regardless of the music. This of course happens when a singer is brought to record a pre-written material so he can't fit it to his style but AFAIK this is not the case with Bayley and TXF.
    Blaze's vocal range isn't that broad. He's got a bit of a flat voice at times, in the same way Ozzy has. Blaze has a lot of power and energy, but range is his weak point. Which is of course, Bruce Dickinson's greatest strength.

Quote: The material itself on TXF is passable although not memorable for the most part. The only songs I memorized quickly were the first 3 and then The Aftermath (these song, of course, fucking rock). The rest had a trouble gripping with my brain, being midtempo, rather monotone and having similar styled intros on EVERY FUCKING song. On the other hand, Sign of the Cross (almost wrote <span style="font-style: italic">Southern</span> Cross ), Lord of the Flies and Man on the Edge sounded good with Bruce. So the trouble wasn't with the songs.
    I think tracks 8-11 are the only truly weak ones. Maybe "Look for the Truth" too. I liked them but there's too many similar chord sequences, the introductions don't vary in style quite enough (a problem on the new album too), but I think it's a very good, very solid record. It outsold No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark until Bruce's comeback pushed Blaze into obscurity, however. And Virtual XI outsold that album.

Quote: When comparing the same songs sung by the two vocalists, the winner is clearly Dickinson. He made Sign of the Cross, an already great song, something out of this world on Rock in Rio. On the other hand, my new favourite Maiden song, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, sounded rather flat with Blaze (although thankfully, this song is all about the instrumental, vocals are superficial in it).
    You're comparing studio to live. Compare live versions of Blaze doing it to Bruce, it's the only fair way. I thought Afraid to shoot Strangers sounded awesome with Blaze myself, and Bruce damages Lord of the Flies quite badly.

Originally Posted By: David86 Yeah, Blaze had a few nice songs but that's about it... read something about vocal problems, dunno if it's true though. X Factor is quite monotone, I find Virtual XI to be more listenable than the former (Futureal FTW). And of course the winner is Bruce, absolutlely no contest.
    There were reports of him having some vocal problems which he claims to have solved. His voice has improved dramatically since he left Maiden though. Which is really odd. When he met Bruce Dickinson on radio recently Bruce said to him how much he preferred what he did after Maiden and never figured out why he couldn't do that when he was in the band.

Originally Posted By: Rover I haven't checked out any of his solo stuff. To be honest, not sure I will.
    It was a band called B.L.A.Z.E. or just Blaze/BLAZE at various times, originally. Blaze's first album is reminiscent of Brave New World (3 Blaze-era tunes were used on that album and it shows in songwriting similarities) and the second was a concept album. Blaze did three records and a live release, Silicon Messiah, Tenth Dimension, Blood & Belief and As Live As It Gets. Management stupidly released Silicon in the same week as Brave New World, which was commercially devastating, and also would not let Blaze tour it.

As I said...it was a band and songwriting credits showed it - Blaze wrote lyrics, they did the rest. All their work was produced by Andy Sneap (Sabbat) by the way.

The "Blaze" name was since it's a band run by Blaze and since his name would boost sales, but it's not a total solo act. Somewhat like Dio's first incarnation (it became totally Ronnie's band when they reformed in the 90s). It was a fairly stable lineup mostly too, Steve Wray/John Slater on guitar, Rob Naylor on bass and Jeff Singer on drums for the first two albums and the live album. They were together mid 1999 through to January 2003.

Blaze's third and final album had Wayne Banks (Sabbat) on bass and Jason Bowld (Pitchshifter) on drums, as session musicians.

If you want to look into Blaze, it's best to get his new best-of from his website. It's only 6, released on his new self-run record label (Blaze Records or something like that) or the live album. Either's dead cheap....the live album is a double and has 4 Maiden tunes, a Wolfsbane tune (Blaze's old band) and a cover of "Dazed and Confused".

Blaze's new band, the Blaze Bayley Band, spent the last few years coming together. An entirely new lineup, very new sound.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Originally Posted By: Monkey I kind of wish the best of X Factor and Virtual XI to be re-recorded with Bruce. Blaze ruins otherwise good songs.
    Oh God, no! I don't want Iron Maiden to be like "Sharon Osbourne and The Lapdogs" and erase bandmembers from history by re-recording albums. It's enough that we have some of these songs on live albums sang by Bruce.

P.S. El Lobo, TheElfoid - thanks for the advice and good words!

<span style="font-style: italic">X Factor</span> was a departure and an experiment with a new singer. Which means it is vilified and hated by a substantial portion of the band's "fans". For all the prattling on about the bum rap that metal gets from the mainstream, metal fans themselves can often seem sickeningly narrow-minded.

Same thing happened to Priest. <span style="font-style: italic">Demolition</span> is a good album - wouldn't know that though trawling the message boards. You'd think it was an off-key collection of Bulgarian folk tunes.

I prefer Bruce to Blaze, but I was tremendously impressed by what the band was attempting with <span style="font-style: italic">X Factor</span> when I first heard it and remain so to this day. It doesn't work completely, but at <span style="font-style: italic">worst</span>, it's an interesting and noble failure.

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg <span style="font-style: italic">X Factor</span> was a departure and an experiment with a new singer. Which means it is vilified and hated by a substantial portion of the band's "fans". For all the prattling on about the bum rap that metal gets from the mainstream, metal fans themselves can often seem sickeningly narrow-minded.
    I think narrow-minded is an easy angle to take on it, but it's not quite that. It's that heavy metal fans do not like change. Most seem to listen to a wide variety of music, of multiple genres and sub-genres but won't like it when a band's sound changes. The other thing they have is pride; they like a band that unrelentingly stays a path whatever other people say, and that means sounding the same album after album.

I think it stems from the fact that so many of us are naturally weak people who rely on metal to empower, comfort and encourage us. We like it to feel the same every time since we are looking for something that specifically works for us. But I'm not sure of course.

Quote: I prefer Bruce to Blaze, but I was tremendously impressed by what the band was attempting with <span style="font-style: italic">X Factor</span> when I first heard it and remain so to this day. It doesn't work completely, but at <span style="font-style: italic">worst</span>, it's an interesting and noble failure.
    I agree. Perfectly phrased.

I don't think Blaze was given a fair chance. He had to fill in the shoes of Bruce who was very iconic at the that time. I thought his vocals were very fitting for the dark mood of The X Factor as well as Virtual XI. I do think that Bruce can sing the Blaze songs really well but I prefer the studio recoding with Blaze. Try listening to some of his solo stuff and you will find that he is actually a superb vocalist.
    So live for today
    Tomorrow never comes

I stopped liking new Maiden releases when they put out Somewhere in Time....was a huge disappointment at the time.

Originally Posted By: SlvrSrpnt I stopped liking new Maiden releases when they put out Somewhere in Time....was a huge disappointment at the time.
    I know it's generally less popular, but what did you think of the "back to basics" and "pure" approach of No Prayer for the Dying. To a lesser extent they kept that for Fear of the Dark too.

I thought <span style="font-style: italic">Fear of the Dark</span> was a good album... <span style="font-style: italic">No Prayer for the Dying</span>, less so. "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" is an abomination.

Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" is an abomination.
    Oh man, that song is A LOT of fun!!!!

Originally Posted By: El Lobo
    Originally Posted By: J Hillenburg "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" is an abomination.
    Oh man, that song is A LOT of fun!!!!
    I think the riff feels slightly....odd. Like it's unfinished. And Bruce's vocals are way below standard. But it IS still fun

Banned

I don't know - to this day - why Steve Harris agreed to record BYD...TTS... It was a Dickinson solo song.

Still... it was their first UK # 1 single... I guess that justified it...

the only real problem I have with the band is the amount of "live" recordings in their discography.

Live After Death
    A Real Live One
    Live at Donington
    Live in Rock in Rio

and add on the fact they used a couple of albums to recycle hits. In the grand scheme of things, when you look at the actual number of studio albums, it's not that big. Sabbath on the other hand recycled a lot of their material after the Ozzy reunion and the entire time only had a few live albums.

Live At Last
    Live Evil
    Cross Purposes Live
    Reunion
    Past Lives

I don't think I'm missing any. Ironically enough, Martin only has one live album. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Rover
    Originally Posted By: Monkey I kind of wish the best of X Factor and Virtual XI to be re-recorded with Bruce. Blaze ruins otherwise good songs.
    Oh God, no! I don't want Iron Maiden to be like "Sharon Osbourne and The Lapdogs" and erase bandmembers from history by re-recording albums. It's enough that we have some of these songs on live albums sang by Bruce.

P.S. El Lobo, TheElfoid - thanks for the advice and good words!
    haha.. I remember the backlash Van Halen got when they photoshopped out Michael Anthony and replaced him with Wolfgang and stuck the new album covers up on the website for the Roth reunion.

Maiden also has the Death on the Road live album.

Banned

And "A Real Dead One"...

And then they put "A Real Live One" and 'A Real Dead One" together as a double CD and released it as "A Real Live Dead One"!!

Originally Posted By: devilmaycare I don't know - to this day - why Steve Harris agreed to record BYD...TTS... It was a Dickinson solo song.

Still... it was their first UK # 1 single... I guess that justified it...
    Steve ASKED Bruce to let them do it as a band thing. He didn't agree to. It was a Bruce song he wanted them to do since he liked it so much.

And I think the fact it was banned from British radio stations for 'offensive content' was the reason it was the first chart-topping single!

[quote]Originally Posted By: MichaelWayne the only real problem I have with the band is the amount of "live" recordings in their discography.

Well, they have a lot of albums, have lasted a long time and have had some lineup changes. Live After Death contained songs from their first five albums and did the job brilliantly in 1985. Come the time for A Real Live One and A Real Dead One (one was older songs from the first 5 albums, one was newer ones from the 6th through to the 9th), it was 1993. 8 years was hardly a short time to wait, another live release was due. Especially with a new lead guitarist in the band. They made sure a number of older songs that didn't get played onto Live After Death got onto A Real Live One (mostly fan favourites that were less known to most casual fans) so even the one with the older songs didn't turn out like a rehash. It also featured songs from a variety of shows, wheras Live After Death was more focussed on a couple of them.

A Real Live One/A Real Dead One was packed as A Real Live Dead One for the US release and for the 1998 digital remasters, yes.

Live At Donington was released as a very limited edition, triple-vinyl-only (which was a little unusual come 1993). It was the last major festival Bruce played before he quit the band and one of their larger crowds on that tour (70, 000). Fan demand was the reason it was released in 1998 with the digital remasters. 5 years after the last live release though, you can't really complain about that.

Then they did Rock in Rio in 2002. First live release in 4 years, but the last was recorded in 92 and this one in 01...9 years. The band now had a three guitar lineup and played I think 6 songs from their reunion album, 2 songs from the Blaze Bayley era (1994-1999) so once again it had a fresh setlist. It had a very different sound since some studio touchup was done, and the quality and style in it more than makes up for the lack of rawness that they must have known they could never replicate like they did on the older albums. Who played what guitar solo on older songs changed a bit too.

Unlike most veteran bands Maiden have kept modern setlists. Maybe you could say Death on the Road was one live release too far. 3 years after the last live release, and at the time their fifth live release in 25 years of recording music and after 13 albums. It had six songs from the newest album on it, along with a few not on older live releases. Again, I think the release was justified.

and add on the fact they used a couple of albums to recycle hits. In the grand scheme of things, when you look at the actual number of studio albums, it's not that big. Sabbath on the other hand recycled a lot of their material after the Ozzy reunion and the entire time only had a few live albums.
    Iron Maiden: 14 studio albums (1980-1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006)
    Black Sabbath: 18 studio albums (1970, 1970-1976, 1978, 1980-1981, 1983, 1986-1987, 1989-1990, 1992, 1994-1995)

14 albums in 26 years isn't bad going. Sabbath had 18 in 26, not vastly far ahead. If you look at careers overall, Sabbath is 68-08, 40 years and 18 albums. Maiden are 75-08, 33 years and 14 albums. They'll be up to their 15th in late 09/early 2010 too.

Maiden's problem is their "release a new greatest hits set after every album" problem. Well, not problem, but it's a bit pointless. I guess they're proud of the fact they're still a major force after so long and like to keep best-ofs up to date. The live album thing is just that they said after their reunion that they would have a live CD/DVD for each album tour - which is fair since it means a fairly varied setlist. Recent release schedule has been like this:

* The X Factor (studio album)
    * The Best of the Beast (compilation)
    * Virtual XI (studio album)
    * Ed Hunter (compilation)
    * Brave New World (studio album)
    * Rock in Rio (live album)
    * Edward the Great (compilation)
    * Dance of Death (studio album)
    * Death on the Road (live album)
    * Edward the Great 2005 [Europe]/The Essential Iron Maiden [USA] (compilation)
    * A Matter of Life and Death (studio album)
    * Somewhere Back in Time: The Best Of 1980-1989 (compilation)

The new compilation is downloadable for free, you have to pay to use it after your first three listens....I guess you can justify them putting that out. Plus they've never done a best-of that only covers that era, which a lot of people would like to have. A DVD from the AMOLAD tour is due too.

I have no problem with the multiple live releases, as the setlist is sufficiently different. I just looooooooved Rock in Rio, now I guess I need to get Death on the Road.

Maiden is still a force to be reckoned with, album-wise and gig-wise, and thus they're better than Sabbath (until lately, anyways) in this respect.

Wow, given his track record, I'm surprised that Rover isn't supporting the less popular singer here, but that's cool. I have both of the Blaze-era CDs. To me, something about Blaze just does not fit with the band. I think he's a fine singer, but he just doesn't work with the band...

Banned

I actually can't say that I'm a fan of either Bruce <span style="font-weight: bold">or</span> Blaze's vocals (I checked out a handful of Blaze-era songs, and was left even more bored than Maiden usually leaves me). One sounds generic, IMO, and the other is too damn nasally.

Haven't checked out any of the Di'Anno stuff, but I don't plan on doing it anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: The Butt I actually can't say that I'm a fan of either Bruce <span style="font-weight: bold">or</span> Blaze's vocals (I checked out a handful of Blaze-era songs, and was left even more bored than Maiden usually leaves me). One sounds generic, IMO, and the other is too damn nasally.

Haven't checked out any of the Di'Anno stuff, but I don't plan on doing it anytime soon.
    It's a fairly different band. The first album has:
    * Paul Di'Anno (1978-1981) - lead vocals
    * Dave Murray (1975-1977, 1977-present) - lead & rhythm guitar
    * Dennis Stratton (1980) - lead & rhythm guitar
    * Steve Harris (1975-present) - bass
    * Clive Burr (1980-1982) - drums

So there's a different guitarist, singer and drummer. Clive Burr <span style="font-style: italic">did</span> play on The Number of the Beast album but not on any of the later Bruce-era ones. Much softer, more groove-driven drummer who hits the drums less hard.

Stratton's a bit more rock 'n' roll than Adrian Smith, and a bit less imaginative...but if Maiden has not been your cup of tea thus far, it might be worth checking out.

Second album:
    * Paul Di'Anno (1978-1981) - lead vocals
    * Dave Murray (1975-1977, 1977-present) - lead & rhythm guitar
    * Adrian Smith (1980-1990, 1999-present) - lead & rhythm guitar
    * Steve Harris (1975-present) - bass
    * Clive Burr (1980-1982) - drums

Both albums feature older songs; it's almost entirely written by Steve Harris, has a great focus on instrumentation than lyrics, and the earliest songs were written in 1975. It really was the best of 1975-1981 in the first two releases (two of the songs on the second album, Killers, were written shortly before its release) and they have a much punkier vibe.

My friend Joe, who likes punk, doesn't like anything linked with metal other than Motorhead and the first two Maiden releases. So it can persuade some people.

For me, it would have been a turn-off.

Rock in Rio is a phenomenal live album indeed. Maybe the best live one for Maiden. The DVD version is especially great when you can see an OCEAN of people just getting literally crazy with Maiden. "Fear of the dark" has never sounded better.

Yes. "Live after death" is a cult album, and just untouchable as a piece of history, and Martin Birch was a genius producer and all, but Bruce was having a hard time there, struggling with every note.

The new live albums "Rock in Rio" and "Death on the Road" feature the new improved Bruce Dickinson which sings his soul out without missing a single note and the raw energy is just amazing. Yes there are some problems with the production (especially on DOTR) but those are minimal.

Another great semi-official live gig is the one at Ullevi, Sweden in the "Early days tour" with the best performance ever by Brucie. "Where eagles dare" , one of the hardest songs to sing in Maiden's catalog was just P.E.R.F.E.C.T that night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R7eDAKayo

Bruce is Bruce, but for me I prefer Di'Anno>Baley any day. Blaze does has some good material though.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Sure. in his day DiAnno was a hell of a vocalist. He was never a technical one but he had a raw punk-like energy that was unique for a metal band.

Unfortunately, there is no much of that energy left these days judging by a handful of DiAnno boots I have listened too from the last couple of years.

Banned

Di'Anno was fantastic in the early days of Maiden... I was talking to the husband of a friend of my wife at a wedding a couple of weeks ago & we worked out that we were both Soundhouse regulars from back in the day... We were saying how different Maiden were back then & how Di'Anno was PERFECT for the band at that time.

He wasn't the vocalist that Dickinson USED to be but in those early days prowling round a little stage he was fucking awesome. Of course then he got completely fucked up, lost what little voice he had & had to be shown the door.

Back when Dickinson first joined up I was a huge Samson fan... Loved 'Head On' & 'Shock Tactics', and Bruce Bruce (as he was then!) was much more of a screamer than he was with Maiden... I really couldn't see how he'd fit in but the band changed direction slightly & the rest is history.

Check out the first two Maiden albums... there are some absolute classics on there that deserve to be in Maiden's set to this day... Some are of course

They're really NOT that punky at all. Just not what Maiden are today.

Originally Posted By: El Lobo Rock in Rio is a phenomenal live album indeed. Maybe the best live one for Maiden. The DVD version is especially great when you can see an OCEAN of people just getting literally crazy with Maiden. "Fear of the dark" has never sounded better.

Yes. "Live after death" is a cult album, and just untouchable as a piece of history, and Martin Birch was a genius producer and all, but Bruce was having a hard time there, struggling with every note.

The new live albums "Rock in Rio" and "Death on the Road" feature the new improved Bruce Dickinson which sings his soul out without missing a single note and the raw energy is just amazing. Yes there are some problems with the production (especially on DOTR) but those are minimal.

Another great semi-official live gig is the one at Ullevi, Sweden in the "Early days tour" with the best performance ever by Brucie. "Where eagles dare" , one of the hardest songs to sing in Maiden's catalog was just P.E.R.F.E.C.T that night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R7eDAKayo
    I agree that those live albums are fantasic, especially "Rock In Rio" and I also believe Bruce sounds better now than back then.

However, my favorite Maiden live album is "Beast Over Hammersmith". I am not sure why but it reminds me of "Black Sabbath: Paris 1970".
    So live for today
    Tomorrow never comes

Dickinson still sound great live, studio it's clear he is not as good anymore or just doesn't put the effort anymore... even when compared to his solo works in the 90's he isn't as good.

As for Bruce redoing some Blaze songs, I'm not saying delete the Blaze albums (not that many would miss them). They can release a new album of Bruce doing Blaze and Di'Anno songs in studio. (I actually prefer Di'anno singing them than Bruce)

For those loving Rock in Rio, I agree it's great, but you CAN tell it's the live album they tinkered with most. The DVD even has fake footage of Bruce filmed in a studio! I like it most, but I like the raw feel of the older live releases too.

I think in the studio he's just fine, but the music sounds very different since they've gone in a doomier and more progressive direction lately.

On a side note, I saw Blaze the night before last. His guitarists aren't that flashy, but did the job...bassist was outstanding though. Him and Blaze had phenomenal stage presence and REALLY outdid how his Maiden material sounded in the studio. The Maiden songs he did were "Virus", "Man on the Edge", "Futureal" and "Lord of the Flies"