Default Bruce Dickinson solo

Forgive me if this has already been brought up but what do you people think of Bruce Dickinson's solo records?

I've gotten The Chemical Wedding out of curiosity (given my recent Iron Maiden kick) and I have to say it's awesome, at least on par with the Maiden recording of the same year, Virtual XI.

Now, what other Dickinson albums are worth getting? I've heard some mixed reviews for the first 3 ones but mostly positive ones for Accident of Birth and the latest one, Tyranny of Souls.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Banned
    City:Jacareí State:São Paulo Country:Brasil

Default Re: Bruce Dickinson solo

Fantastic! Hope a new album due next year or in 2010. I enjoy some of his albums more than some Maiden albums.

Get Accident of Birth. I think it's fucking awesome.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I enjoy most of Bruce's solo stuff more then most of Iron Maiden.

As far as the straight-forward metal, I'd rate them and recommend them in this order.

1. Chemical Wedding (which you did, congrats)
    2. Accident of Birth
    3. Tyranny of Souls

Tyranny is an okay album. It really grabbed me at first, but it lacks a certain substance that makes it worthwhile to come back to.

As for his other albums. I think Skunkworks is a good album, and a worthy purchase. His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo

I have the last 3 Dickinson solo albums and all three are great. I think they are far and away better than anything Maiden did in the 1990s. Bruce sounds good and the band it strong, but they don't sound like Iron Maiden part 2, which I think is a good thing. I haven't heard the "Skunkworks" album, but I've heard mixed things about it. I've heard songs off the first 2 and they are ok, but nothing special.

I have the last 3 Dickinson solo albums and all three are great. I think they are far and away better than anything Maiden did in the 1990s. Bruce sounds good and the band it strong, but they don't sound like Iron Maiden part 2, which I think is a good thing. I haven't heard the "Skunkworks" album, but I've heard mixed things about it. I've heard songs off the first 2 and they are ok, but nothing special.

Originally Posted By: EvilCheese His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo
    Just a bit?
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Originally Posted By: EvilCheese His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo
    Just a bit?

Quote: Fantastic! Hope a new album due next year or in 2010. I enjoy some of his albums more than some Maiden albums.
    Maiden's got more gigs in 2009 already planned in South America and Australia. Bruce really wants them to get on with writing the new album too - they do one every 3 years so it's due in 09, but apparently he's really pushing the idea now. 2010 is the time when it might happen, cuz I think their album will be late 09, album tour 2009/10, then take a break until the next history tour which is due sometime 2011.

However in 2007 Bruce DID sign a contract which allows for 3 new solo albums. He said he would consider writing songs for the film he did recently if appropriate (he didn't) and when he did Tyranny of Souls in 2005 he said it was not his last solo release.

I think Maiden's become so huge lately (3x size audience in 5 years) that he's focussing on that, but as the band slow down he will do more solo stuff.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Quote: Fantastic! Hope a new album due next year or in 2010. I enjoy some of his albums more than some Maiden albums.
    Maiden's got more gigs in 2009 already planned in South America and Australia. Bruce really wants them to get on with writing the new album too - they do one every 3 years so it's due in 09, but apparently he's really pushing the idea now. 2010 is the time when it might happen, cuz I think their album will be late 09, album tour 2009/10, then take a break until the next history tour which is due sometime 2011.

However in 2007 Bruce DID sign a contract which allows for 3 new solo albums. He said he would consider writing songs for the film he did recently if appropriate (he didn't) and when he did Tyranny of Souls in 2005 he said it was not his last solo release.

I think Maiden's become so huge lately (3x size audience in 5 years) that he's focussing on that, but as the band slow down he will do more solo stuff.
    http://theramblingelf.tumblr.com/ - my Tumblog (music reviews galore!)
    http://twitter.com/TheRamblingElf - my Twitter
    http://www.facebook.com/rwarrell - my Facebook

Normally I'm quite skeptical about solo albums and solo careers by lead singers from well known bands... more often than not they are unremarkable and the artist in question just struggles vainly to top his former band. I'm glad that Bruce Dickinson is not the case, at least not entirely (now, I've heard some pretty harsh things about both Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks...)

Normally I'm quite skeptical about solo albums and solo careers by lead singers from well known bands... more often than not they are unremarkable and the artist in question just struggles vainly to top his former band. I'm glad that Bruce Dickinson is not the case, at least not entirely (now, I've heard some pretty harsh things about both Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks...)

I actually like Balls to Picasso but it's only half good, Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks are terrible though.

Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are his best albums with Tyranny of souls falling just short compared to those 2.

I actually like Balls to Picasso but it's only half good, Tattooed Millionaire and Skunkworks are terrible though.

Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are his best albums with Tyranny of souls falling just short compared to those 2.

1. Chemical Wedding (Maybe my fav metal album ever)
    2. Accident of Birth
    3. Tyranny of Souls
    4. Scream for me Brazil (a live album with the line up from Chemical Wedding and AoB). What a great live album!!!!!
    5. Balls to Picasso- It has "Tears of the dragon on it". Nough' said
    6. Tattoed Millionaire (I REALLY REALLY like this album. It's a lot of fun)
    7. Skunkworks (the only BD solo that I listen once on a blue moon to) Not that it's THAT bad but it's not my cup of tea.

1. Chemical Wedding (Maybe my fav metal album ever)
    2. Accident of Birth
    3. Tyranny of Souls
    4. Scream for me Brazil (a live album with the line up from Chemical Wedding and AoB). What a great live album!!!!!
    5. Balls to Picasso- It has "Tears of the dragon on it". Nough' said
    6. Tattoed Millionaire (I REALLY REALLY like this album. It's a lot of fun)
    7. Skunkworks (the only BD solo that I listen once on a blue moon to) Not that it's THAT bad but it's not my cup of tea.

Yes, Chemical Wedding is a phenomenal album! Tyranney and Accident are quite good as well. But Chemical Wedding is really, really good. I also agree that Tattood Millianaire is terrible; it sounds way too 80s. I really haven't given Skunkworks a good listen to, but Balls to Picasso is not bad either. But the real gem here is Chemical.

Yes, Chemical Wedding is a phenomenal album! Tyranney and Accident are quite good as well. But Chemical Wedding is really, really good. I also agree that Tattood Millianaire is terrible; it sounds way too 80s. I really haven't given Skunkworks a good listen to, but Balls to Picasso is not bad either. But the real gem here is Chemical.

Let's see how close this sounds to what El Lobo just wrote:

1. Chemical Wedding (maybe the best metal album ever and certainly as good as even the finest albums Iron Maiden ever produced)
    2. Accident of Birth (also as good as any albums Iron Maiden produced, and much better than what Iron Maiden produced during the 90's)
    3. Tyranny of Souls. I like this one a lot, but just a notch below the first two. Compared to Dance of Death and AMLOAD, it's safe to say Tyranny of Souls is easily better than what Iron Maiden produced during the 00's.

BTW, if you don't believe El Lobo's and my opinions of these albums, just go to www.rateyourmusic.com and see the public's ratings of these albums and compare them to Iron Maiden's albums over the same time period. We're NOT in the minority having these opinions.

4. Scream For Me Brazil, which now must be purchased as part of a set containing his three live albums, I think. By coincidence, I received a lot of live recordings recorded in Brazil for Christmas presents this year, and I really enjoy the Brazilian crowds.

That's all the Dickinson solo albums I own. I do enjoy the song Tears of the Dragon, which is on the Balls to Picasso album.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Here's my top ten Bruce Dickinson songs:

1. Kill Devil Hill
    2. Back From The Edge
    3. King In Crimson
    4. The Tower
    5. Broken
    6. Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
    7. Gates Of Urizen
    8. Jerusalem
    9. Darkside Of Aquarius
    10. Starchildren

Originally Posted By: EvilCheese I enjoy most of Bruce's solo stuff more then most of Iron Maiden.

As far as the straight-forward metal, I'd rate them and recommend them in this order.

1. Chemical Wedding (which you did, congrats)
    2. Accident of Birth
    3. Tyranny of Souls

Tyranny is an okay album. It really grabbed me at first, but it lacks a certain substance that makes it worthwhile to come back to.

As for his other albums. I think Skunkworks is a good album, and a worthy purchase. His first two albums are a bit of a crapshoot imo
    I second this statement altoghether.

Originally Posted By: Cosmiceddie

1. Kill Devil Hill
    I think this song along mades Tyranny of sould worth it's price. This epic, emotional, colourful, cosmic, powerful, hypnotising song is maybe Bruce's highlight as a songwriter.

One of the finest songs ever created in this genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxErKiZZhg

Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.

Originally Posted By: Cosmiceddie

1. Kill Devil Hill
    I think this song along mades Tyranny of sould worth it's price. This epic, emotional, colourful, cosmic, powerful, hypnotising song is maybe Bruce's highlight as a songwriter.

One of the finest songs ever created in this genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxErKiZZhg

Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.

Originally Posted By: El Lobo Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.
    Another reasony why Tyranny of Souls could get lost in the shuffle is that seven years passed between the release of Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls. Meanwhile, Bruce had gone on to record Brave New World and Dance of Death with Iron Maiden.

Tyranny is an essential recording for any fan of Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson.

Personally, I like the rocker Abduction, the mellower Navigate the Seas of the Sun and the epic title track a little more than Kill Devil Hill, though the latter is another awesome song too.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted By: El Lobo Tyranny of souls is an underated album just because it's so hard to be well received after the two mosters that AoB and CW are. But believe me, ToS is a beautiful album as well.
    Another reasony why Tyranny of Souls could get lost in the shuffle is that seven years passed between the release of Chemical Wedding and Tyranny of Souls. Meanwhile, Bruce had gone on to record Brave New World and Dance of Death with Iron Maiden.

Tyranny is an essential recording for any fan of Iron Maiden/Bruce Dickinson.

Personally, I like the rocker Abduction, the mellower Navigate the Seas of the Sun and the epic title track a little more than Kill Devil Hill, though the latter is another awesome song too.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    City:Jacareí State:São Paulo Country:Brasil

Navigate The Seas Of The Sun is a classic indeed. But the best one for me is River Of No Return. Perfect. Not counting the lyrics which are clever and meaningful as always. In fact, Bruce should write 95% of the lyrics on Maiden's next album.

Also, Skunkworks for me is the second most important album in Bruce's career 'cause it was a turning point on his person and on his voice. He covers a lot of different vocal ranges and performances on this album and maturity came to him exactly on this album. Tattooed Millionaire is great and Balls To Picasso has great moments, but the production makes it sound dull, opaque. My least favorite.

But with albums like Accident Of Birth, The Chemical Wedding and Tyranny Of Souls even a classic groundbreaking album like Skunkworks go down in the ranks.

Yeah, I like River of No Return a lot too. Sorry, forgot to mention it in my earlier post.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, I like River of No Return a lot too. Sorry, forgot to mention it in my earlier post.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I just think that 'Kill Devil Hill' has one of the best choruses I've ever heard, it's awesome, it's out of this world and 'Back from the Edge' is utmost close behind it.

I just think that 'Kill Devil Hill' has one of the best choruses I've ever heard, it's awesome, it's out of this world and 'Back from the Edge' is utmost close behind it.

Bruce's solo work is awesome. I like all the albums from Tyranny Of Souls Back to Skunk Works. To me his first albums seem a little bland. Looking forward to a new album.

Bruce's solo work is awesome. I like all the albums from Tyranny Of Souls Back to Skunk Works. To me his first albums seem a little bland. Looking forward to a new album.

One of my favorite songs on ToS is the underrated "Devil on a Hog". Every single time I hear it I catch myself singing aloud. It's a lot of fun... more on the tatooed milliomaire side...but anyway.

One of my favorite songs on ToS is the underrated "Devil on a Hog". Every single time I hear it I catch myself singing aloud. It's a lot of fun... more on the tatooed milliomaire side...but anyway.

I bought the 3 disc DVD and literally just scanned through it, nothing did it for me in the least. I really thought I would like it, although I didn't really like Tattoed Millionaire (Apart from Dive, Dive, Dive cos it was a little rude ;o)

I bought the 3 disc DVD and literally just scanned through it, nothing did it for me in the least. I really thought I would like it, although I didn't really like Tattoed Millionaire (Apart from Dive, Dive, Dive cos it was a little rude ;o)

haha, Dive, Dive Dive is actually a cool song. Officially it's about a submarine, but it may have a second lecture, of a sexual nature.

Tattoed millionaire has this edgy voice of him from the No prayer era that doesn't appeal to everyone. There are some strong songs there:

Son Of A Gun
    Born In '58
    Tattooed Millionaire

I really like this album. It's a "feel good" one for me. No deep stuff about Chemical Wedings or flying , just plain fun...

haha, Dive, Dive Dive is actually a cool song. Officially it's about a submarine, but it may have a second lecture, of a sexual nature.

Tattoed millionaire has this edgy voice of him from the No prayer era that doesn't appeal to everyone. There are some strong songs there:

Son Of A Gun
    Born In '58
    Tattooed Millionaire

I really like this album. It's a "feel good" one for me. No deep stuff about Chemical Wedings or flying , just plain fun...

I often wished that the Iron Maiden catalogue went from Powerslave to Accident of Birth to Chemical Wedding to Tyranny of Souls. Then again, I think Killers was their apex.

Bruce Dickinson solo albums are AWESOME!!!