Default Learning fast solos

I've been playing guitar for a few years now, and as per the advice of my friends, I've avoided learning how to solo. Instead I've played rhythm parts up until now, so that I can practice keeping time and such.

Now I want to learn how to play fast solos, but I'm finding it very difficult. I'm trying to learn the solo from Paranoid now, and my hands hurt and are slow. Is learning how to do fast solos just a matter of practicing over and over again, or is there a technique or trick I should know about? Is there a solo that's better to start with besides Paranoid?

The other annoying thing here is that tabs for Sabbath solos seem to leave things out. There are really fast trills and note changes that aren't written, and I have no idea how to reproduce them. Any info anyone can give me on learning this new facet of playing guitar is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Learning fast solos

Hey man! I've been there myself. I would say the best thing you
    can do is to start practicing common guitar scales, like
    the minor pentatonic, blues and the minor scale

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/index.php

Play them up and down, and give it some time. You can also practice speed picking (up-down-up-down strokes with your pick on the string)
    You'll notice that lots of hard rock solos are built around these scales

Thanks for the scales, Niklas! I'll practice 'em.

I also notice there's lots of pick-ons, hammers, and bends. Is there any good way to practice those? To get my fingers used to the frets, my buddies taught me the fretting excersize where you hit frets 1, 2, 3, 4 on every string, then go 5, 4, 3, 2 in reverse, then 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Is there a similar excersize for hammers, pulls, bends, and the like?

When I'm learning solos are just fast/complex pieces I always drag the song into my music editor (Audacity) and change the tempo way down. I also break it up into bits, and practice each bit over and over again, move on the the next one until its nailed, and combine them. You can also mess around with tuning and where your hand is on the frets. You may find a different position is easier for you than what's on a tab. For Black Sabbath I find the fast part is much easier tuned a half step down, using open strings.
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And thatís for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

You might also try The Wizard but practice the pentatonic in box-form a lot first.
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

I'm not a guitar player, but I think this method still applies:

When I need to learn a complex drum part, I slow it down until I know it completely and can play it smoothly and easily. Then, I gradually increase the tempo until it's played at the correct speed.

As Niklas pointed out, learn your scales (what drummers may equate to rudiments) and as Psycho Man said, it may be easier to learn a solo in segments that you can then string together.

Always remember to play evenly and in time and the key is that there's no fast way to learn anything, at least not correctly. Put in the time and not only will it be more satisfying once you've mastered it, but you'll learn more along the way.

Good luck!!
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of putting it into a sound editor and slowing it down. Great ideas all around, guys. Thanks!

careful with the editing, if you change the "speed" it will also change the frequency, make sure you have one that can just change the tempo so if you slow it down the notes aren't lower.
    How Good It Feels
    And thatís for real"

A little piece of advice would be to use as often as possible, for this, an electric guitar that has the classical fretboard. The fretboard on Gibson's have a tendency to be of the said brand and forces you to have more wrist action, as opposed to lazily laying your hand behind the neck.

At first it may seem counter-productive since you may want to make this as simple as possible and my suggestion is a very difficult thing to accomplish. But once you've learned them on a widened fingerboard the standard ones are easy as pie.

Plus you might want to learn the scales that Niklas gave you on an acoustic guitar, once again preferably one with a wider fretboard. Whatever your reasoning for wanting to play solos, a guitarist can forget stuff by playing them on an electric.

Keep this idea in your mind:

If it's not something you can play, either flawlessly or just enough to 'pull it off', on the acoustic guitar, than it's not worth being played at all. Because then it becomes a matter of the guitar being the player and not the player itself.

Originally Posted By: Rich To get my fingers used to the frets, my buddies taught me the fretting excersize where you hit frets 1, 2, 3, 4 on every string, then go 5, 4, 3, 2 in reverse, then 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Is there a similar excersize for hammers, pulls, bends, and the like?
    I found the best way to accomplish this is get comfortable with an acoustic and tap your foot in time as if it's a country song. Hold your pick tightly and pluck the G string, once you've gotten the feel, then start doing the two hand hammer ons. Hit the open G hammer onto the F note(10 fret) and then pull off of it. Then start alternating between your index and middle fingers, as you move along you can gradually pick up speed. But never lose that simple tap tap tap with your foot as that is the balance that keeps it, what will initially sound like just noise, in time.

Sort Of Like This:<span style="font-family: 'Courier New'">
    G|-0h10p0h12-0h12p9h10-0h12p9h7-5h7p4h9--7--6h7h9p6-3h5p2h4-|
    </span>

Another thing you might want to try is playing your solos on a direct clean channel, with very little distortion. It can and will drown out the sound since you will create your own distortion by what you play. This enables you to go from standard picking to finger picking quicker. You want to get into a habit of needing a pick only to make a run more articulated.

Learn some three or four finger Rasquedo's, most notable the 'Thumb Two One' pattern. That enables you to walk melodies around on the top and/or Bass side of the patterns, sometimes simultaneously. Plus, with a Rasquedo you can use an overactive thumb on two or more strings and only one finger, and make it sound more exuberant.

Learn some really complex Jazz chords and arrangements, like for instance, a Bbm7#9/-5 to C#m7(b5) to F#7(add B). So now that you got those chords down, pick those notes in different patterns, and you will see how relative they are to one another. You will learn relatively quickly that the amount of notes you play is not as important as how much room you give each to breathe.

Best of luck

Sounds fair. I'll practice this on my nylon-stringed classical. That's what I started playing on to begin with.

I use the guitar pro program to learn complex songs and solo parts,you can slow down the speed of the songs to help you and it has all sorts of other helpful features.
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Originally Posted By: Purgatory I use the guitar pro program to learn complex songs and solo parts,you can slow down the speed of the songs to help you and it has all sorts of other helpful features.
    GuitarPro is great, agreed!

Originally Posted By: Rich Sounds fair. I'll practice this on my nylon-stringed classical. That's what I started playing on to begin with.
    How has it been working out for you?

Do you have Guitar Pro because I have a file that may be very helpful in the exercise your trying to achieve.

The best way to learn a solo is... Listen Listen Listen!!
    Your ears are the mos important part of guitar playing!!
    Put down the guitar and memorize the solo by humming it (or la la la etc...) Once you have it down you can slow it down yourself. Break it up into bite size managable pieces.
    I always found having a tone similar to the original helped, but don't get too bogged down with effects, it will only distract you.
    By listening you are training your ear, this will become invaluable in learning any song (Rhythmn or otherwise)
    Also it's worth mentioning that most solos are constructed around paterns. Paranoid starts around 12 fret (if you want to be accurate) and if I recall stays there. Many solos move positions, so, unless your learning any Satriani there probably won't be any 5 fret stretches so you'll change position and play a different pattern.
    This is the MOST IMPORTANT warm up first!!!
    Gentle streches(fingers!) Simple chord playing, scales - start slow!!
    I cannot stress this enough.. playing a solo is like running a marathon for the fingers and you wouldn't run a marathon without warming up!!!
    Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde and all the other top professional players are like top athletes with their fingers!! When you play their solos you are competing on the same playing field.
    I hurt my wrist (and it stopped me playing for months) learning Surfing with the Alien (Satriani) without warming up!! And believe me it hurts and sucks big time.
    Good luck

The best way to learn a solo is... Listen Listen Listen!!
    Your ears are the mos important part of guitar playing!!
    Put down the guitar and memorize the solo by humming it (or la la la etc...) Once you have it down you can slow it down yourself. Break it up into bite size managable pieces.
    I always found having a tone similar to the original helped, but don't get too bogged down with effects, it will only distract you.
    By listening you are training your ear, this will become invaluable in learning any song (Rhythmn or otherwise)
    Also it's worth mentioning that most solos are constructed around paterns. Paranoid starts around 12 fret (if you want to be accurate) and if I recall stays there. Many solos move positions, so, unless your learning any Satriani there probably won't be any 5 fret stretches so you'll change position and play a different pattern.
    This is the MOST IMPORTANT warm up first!!!
    Gentle streches(fingers!) Simple chord playing, scales - start slow!!
    I cannot stress this enough.. playing a solo is like running a marathon for the fingers and you wouldn't run a marathon without warming up!!!
    Tony Iommi, Zakk Wylde and all the other top professional players are like top athletes with their fingers!! When you play their solos you are competing on the same playing field.
    I hurt my wrist (and it stopped me playing for months) learning Surfing with the Alien (Satriani) without warming up!! And believe me it hurts and sucks big time.
    Good luck

If your trying to learn fast solos, as I said before, try finger picking everything. Get your self a nice groove going, because no solo is good without an excellent rhythm complimenting it. If your trying to get a rhythm to set you up, try assigning a finger to each string you can.

Try this incredible finger-picking solo. The key here is playing with a Jazz trick, called 'Bent Back Knuckles', while also using the three-finger Rasquedo. Because of the backwards hand fingering, your lead will alternate between the top and bottom side of what your doing.

In example A, you will notice the open E note is hit only once at the beginning of the E, Fmaj7-5/C and G6 chords. That is due to needing to mute that bass note. But the rest of the chord(s) should be strummed up and down with just your two strongest fingers. The last Fmaj7-5/C chord should be held after striking for a few seconds, but do not let the sound cease before going on to the next bar.

Plus: Try doing Bars 9 through 13 without picking anything but the very first note, let your fingers do the talking. Good Luck!

Tuning: EADGBe

| * artifical harmonic
    | T Tempo
    ================================================== =====

[A]: Spanish Flamenco:

T: 186

-0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|-0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|-0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|
    -1-1--1-1--1-1--1-1--|-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-4-4--4-4--4-4--4-4--|
    -2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-3-3--3-3--3-3--3-3--|-5-5--5-5--5-5--5-5--|
    -2-2--2----2----2----|-3-3--3----3----3----|-5-5--5----5----5----|
    -0---------0---------|-0-0--0----0----0----|-0-0--0----0----0----|

-0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|-0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|-0-0--0-0--0-0--0-0--|-0-|
    -2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-1-1--1-1--1-1--1-1--|-1-1--1-1--1-1--1-1--|-2-|
    -3-3--3-3--3-3--3-3--|-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-3-|
    -3-3--3----3----3----|-2-2--2----2----2----|-2-2--2----2----2----|-3-|
    -0-0--0----0----0----|-0-0--0----0----0----|-0-0--0----0----0----|-0-|

T: 160 T:60 T:140 T:194
    -5--7--8--(10)--10--8--7--5-|-3p1p0---------------------|
    ----------------------------|-------3p1p0---0-3p1p0-----|
    ----------------------------|-------------2---------2p0-|
    ----------------------------|---------------------------|

T:226
    -------------------------|---------------------------|
    ----------0--------------|---------------------------|
    -3p2p0h2------3p2p0h2p0--|-----------0---------------|
    -------------------------|-3p2p0h2-------3p2p0h2p0---|

T:166 T:150
    --------------------------|---------------------------|
    -3p2p0h2p0----------------|------------------------2--|
    ------------3--1--0h1p0h1-|-0h1p0h1-0h1p0h1p0---4-----|

T:160
    ----------0--4--7--|--10--8--7---------|
    -------------------|------------10--9--|
    ----1--4-----------|-------------------|
    -2-----------------|-------------------|
    -------------------|-------------------|

T:300
    -12--7h10p7--0--|-10--7h10p7--0--|-9--5h9p5--0--|-7--4h7p4--0-|
    ----------------|----------------|--------------|-------------|

T:210 T:186 T:90 T:70 T:50
    ----------------|-----------------|---------(12)-|---12s-------|
    -0--------------|-----------------|--------------|-------------|
    ---2--1h2p1---1-|-----------------|--------------|-------------|
    ------------2---|-2p0-----0-----2-|--------------|-------------|
    ----------------|------2----------|--------------|-------------|
    ----------------|------------4----|-0---12-------|-------------|

This is the main riff
    [B]: Bluegrass

T:212
    ----5--------------------|--0------------------------|
    ---------------7---------|---------------------------|
    -------6-----------6-----|-----2-----4^^(6)--2-------|
    -------------------------|----------------------4h0--|
    -0--------------------0--|--0------------------------|
    -----------0-------------|--------0------------------|

------------------|-----------------------------|
    ---3-----3--3-----|-----------------------------|
    -----2------------|--1--------2-------3------4--|
    -0-----4----------|-----0-------0-------0-------|

---------------0--|--------0-------2-------3s4--|

------------------|--0--------2--------3-----4--|
    ---3-----3--3-----|-----0-------0--------0------|
    -----2------------|--------1-------2-------3h4--|
    -0-----4----------|-----------------------------|
    ---------------0--|-----------------------------|

---5----------4------4---|---3----------2------2---|
    -----5----------5------5-|-----3----------3------3-|
    --------6----------4-----|--------4---------2------|
    -7-----(7)--6-----(6)----|-5-----(5)--4----(4)-----|
    -------------------------|-------------------------|

---1------1------0------0---|---------------------------|
    -----1------1------1------1-|---3------3-----0------0---|
    --------2-------------0-----|-----2------2-----1------1-|
    -3-----(3)------------------|--------0------------0-----|
    ---------------3-----(3)----|-2-----(2)-----------------|
    ----------------------------|--------------0-----(0)----|

From this point on, let every note within the () marks be a ring continuation of that note played the triplet before.

[C]: Classical:

T:204
    ---0------0------0------0---|---0------0------0------0---|
    -----0------0------0------0-|-----0------0------0------0-|
    --------4-------------4-----|--------3-------------3-----|
    ----------------------------|----------------------------|
    -4-----(4)-----4-----(4)----|-3-----(3)-----3-----(3)----|

--------1-------------1-----|--------1-------------1-----|
    -2-----(2)-----2-----(2)----|-1-----(1)-----1-----(1)----|

T:200
    --------9-------------9-----|--------9-------------9-----|
    -9-----(9)-----9-----(9)----|-8-----(8)-----8-----(8)----|

T:196
    ---0------0------0------0---|---5------5------5------5---|
    -----5------5------5------5-|-----5------5------5------5-|
    --------7-------------7-----|---------------7------------|
    ----------------------------|--------7-------------7-----|
    -7-----(7)-----7-----(7)----|-0-----(0)----(0)----(0)----|

---9------9------9------9---|
    -----9------9------9------9-|
    ---------------7------------|
    ----------------------------|
    --------7-------------7-----|
    -0-----(0)----(0)----(0)----|

T:130 T:90 T:90 T:50 T:40 T:20
    ----------------------------|-14p12----12----12--12s3----|
    ---------9------------------|-12----13----12-------------|
    ------7-----7---------------|-13----13----11-------------|
    ----------------------------|--x----12----12-------------|
    ---7------------------------|--x----------11-------------|
    0----------(0)--------------|--0-------------------------|

T:130 T:90 T:70 T:60 T:50
    ----------------------------|-14p12--9p7----------------|
    ---------9------------------|-12-----7----8p7---5~~~----|
    ------7-----7---------------|-13-----7----7-----5~~~----|
    ----------------------------|--x-----7----8-----6~~~----|
    ---7------------------------|--x-----7----7-----7~~~----|
    0----------(0)--------------|--0------------------------|
    T:40 T:74
    [D]: Soul:

------4h5p4h5p4h5p4h5p4s//5-|-5~~5-5---5~~5-5------|
    ----------------------------|-3--------3-----------|
    ----------------------------|-x--------x-----------|
    ----------------------------|-x--------3-----------|
    -0~~~-----------------------|-3--------x-----------|

T:70
    -5~~6--5---5-------------|-5~~5-5---5~~5-5s-----|
    -5---------6~~8--6-------|-3--------7-----------|
    -5---------7-------------|-2--------7-----------|
    -3---------8-------------|-x--------x-----------|
    -------------------------|-x--------x-----------|
    -------------------------|-2--------0-----------|

T:160 T:144
    -9------------------------------|-------------------------|
    ---10-10-8----------------------|-------------------------|
    -----------9-7-(7)---7-5s6------|-------------------------|
    -------------------7---7----7-5-|-------------------------|
    --------------------------------|-7-5-3---5-3s4-----------|
    --------------------------------|-------5---5---5-3-5-(5)-|

-11----14-------------14*-|
    -11----14p14------14*-----|
    -11----14-----14----------|
    -10-----------------------|
    -11p0---------------------|
    --------------------------|

If your trying to learn fast solos, as I said before, try finger picking everything. Get your self a nice groove going, because no solo is good without an excellent rhythm complimenting it. If your trying to get a rhythm to set you up, try assigning a finger to each string you can.

Try this incredible finger-picking solo. The key here is playing with a Jazz trick, called 'Bent Back Knuckles', while also using the three-finger Rasquedo. Because of the backwards hand fingering, your lead will alternate between the top and bottom side of what your doing.

In example A, you will notice the open E note is hit only once at the beginning of the E, Fmaj7-5/C and G6 chords. That is due to needing to mute that bass note. But the rest of the chord(s) should be strummed up and down with just your two strongest fingers. The last Fmaj7-5/C chord should be held after striking for a few seconds, but do not let the sound cease before going on to the next bar.

Plus: Try doing Bars 9 through 13 without picking anything but the very first note, let your fingers do the talking. Good Luck!

Tuning: EADGBe

| * artifical harmonic
    | T Tempo
    ================================================== =====

[A]: Spanish Flamenco:

T: 186

-1-1--1-1--1-1--1-1--|-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-4-4--4-4--4-4--4-4--|
    -2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-3-3--3-3--3-3--3-3--|-5-5--5-5--5-5--5-5--|
    -2-2--2----2----2----|-3-3--3----3----3----|-5-5--5----5----5----|
    -0---------0---------|-0-0--0----0----0----|-0-0--0----0----0----|

-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-1-1--1-1--1-1--1-1--|-1-1--1-1--1-1--1-1--|-2-|
    -3-3--3-3--3-3--3-3--|-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-2-2--2-2--2-2--2-2--|-3-|
    -3-3--3----3----3----|-2-2--2----2----2----|-2-2--2----2----2----|-3-|
    -0-0--0----0----0----|-0-0--0----0----0----|-0-0--0----0----0----|-0-|

T: 160 T:60 T:140 T:194
    -5--7--8--(10)--10--8--7--5-|-3p1p0---------------------|
    ----------------------------|-------3p1p0---0-3p1p0-----|
    ----------------------------|-------------2---------2p0-|

T:226
    ----------0--------------|---------------------------|
    -3p2p0h2------3p2p0h2p0--|-----------0---------------|
    -------------------------|-3p2p0h2-------3p2p0h2p0---|

T:166 T:150
    -3p2p0h2p0----------------|------------------------2--|
    ------------3--1--0h1p0h1-|-0h1p0h1-0h1p0h1p0---4-----|

T:160
    ----------0--4--7--|--10--8--7---------|
    -------------------|------------10--9--|
    ----1--4-----------|-------------------|
    -2-----------------|-------------------|

T:300
    -12--7h10p7--0--|-10--7h10p7--0--|-9--5h9p5--0--|-7--4h7p4--0-|

T:210 T:186 T:90 T:70 T:50
    ----------------|-----------------|---------(12)-|---12s-------|
    -0--------------|-----------------|--------------|-------------|
    ---2--1h2p1---1-|-----------------|--------------|-------------|
    ------------2---|-2p0-----0-----2-|--------------|-------------|
    ----------------|------2----------|--------------|-------------|
    ----------------|------------4----|-0---12-------|-------------|

This is the main riff
    [B]: Bluegrass

From this point on, let every note within the () marks be a ring continuation of that note played the triplet before.

[C]: Classical:

T:130 T:90 T:90 T:50 T:40 T:20
    ----------------------------|-14p12----12----12--12s3----|
    ---------9------------------|-12----13----12-------------|
    ------7-----7---------------|-13----13----11-------------|
    ----------------------------|--x----12----12-------------|
    ---7------------------------|--x----------11-------------|
    0----------(0)--------------|--0-------------------------|

T:130 T:90 T:70 T:60 T:50
    ----------------------------|-14p12--9p7----------------|
    ---------9------------------|-12-----7----8p7---5~~~----|
    ------7-----7---------------|-13-----7----7-----5~~~----|
    ----------------------------|--x-----7----8-----6~~~----|
    ---7------------------------|--x-----7----7-----7~~~----|
    0----------(0)--------------|--0------------------------|
    T:40 T:74
    [D]: Soul:

------4h5p4h5p4h5p4h5p4s//5-|-5~~5-5---5~~5-5------|
    ----------------------------|-x--------x-----------|
    ----------------------------|-x--------3-----------|
    -0~~~-----------------------|-3--------x-----------|

T:70
    -5~~6--5---5-------------|-5~~5-5---5~~5-5s-----|
    -5---------6~~8--6-------|-3--------7-----------|
    -5---------7-------------|-2--------7-----------|
    -3---------8-------------|-x--------x-----------|
    -------------------------|-x--------x-----------|
    -------------------------|-2--------0-----------|

T:160 T:144
    -9------------------------------|-------------------------|
    ---10-10-8----------------------|-------------------------|
    -----------9-7-(7)---7-5s6------|-------------------------|
    -------------------7---7----7-5-|-------------------------|
    --------------------------------|-7-5-3---5-3s4-----------|
    --------------------------------|-------5---5---5-3-5-(5)-|

-11----14-------------14*-|
    -11----14p14------14*-----|
    -11----14-----14----------|
    -10-----------------------|
    -11p0---------------------|
    --------------------------|

Wow Ashley, you made this way more complicated than it needs to be and I can't help but get the feeling you are trying to show off to everybody. Its comes off like you aren't trying to help the person who started this thread and you're trying to show off your finger picking skills or something. Rich, listen to Niklas and Ellbery, they gave simple advice for a simple question. I would add myself, that using audacity to slow down the tracks is helpful and breaking down the solo into pieces which I think Psychoman already said but I just want to emphasize that that works well. It helped me alot when I was learning the solos to Welcome Home by Metallica.

I'm no guitar player but learning Geezer's stuff is complicated sometimes, plus there's the fact that the bass is sometimes drowned by the other instruments.
    I would have to vote for the people suggesting slowing the song down with Audacity, but if you have 50USD to spare, I would suggest Roni Software's Amazing Slow Downer (http://www.ronimusic.com/). It can slow down a song without losing the pitch in real time, just by sliding a button. It can also change the pitch of a song without changing it's speed, which is useful for learning a tune that is not standard tuning without changing the tuning of your instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan28 View Post
    Wow Ashley, you made this way more complicated than it needs to be and I can't help but get the feeling you are trying to show off to everybody. Its comes off like you aren't trying to help the person who started this thread and you're trying to show off your finger picking skills or something. Rich, listen to Niklas and Ellbery, they gave simple advice for a simple question. I would add myself, that using audacity to slow down the tracks is helpful and breaking down the solo into pieces which I think Psychoman already said but I just want to emphasize that that works well. It helped me alot when I was learning the solos to Welcome Home by Metallica.
    You know sooner, I don't think I made it any more difficult than what it is. My first post explained rather simply the importance of learning to play with your fingers, and how beneficial that would be in learning to play fast solos.

As far as the Tab goes, it's nowhere near as difficult as it appears, and hopefully the 'person who started this thread' will see it was done more as a helpful tool than a person whom is 'showing off'

Maybe I'm stupid, but... I don't really get it either. I thought Rich was into learning Hardrock / metal lead guitar solos. I find it a little confusing, refering to those Jazz and flamenco "finger picking" techniques you posted Ashley, as I have never seen any rock guitarist playing ripping leads with his fingers (except for Albert Collins, but that's the old Delta Blues).
    My best advice is to use a flat guitar pick, like Tony Iommi himself.
    Also keep it simple and stick to what really feels interesting and comfortable playing. But that's just my 2 cents...

By the way, Guitar Pro is an amazing tool! I think a thing is also looking for cool licks and such on Youtube. (This video is great!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Dalby View Post
    You know sooner, I don't think I made it any more difficult than what it is. My first post explained rather simply the importance of learning to play with your fingers, and how beneficial that would be in learning to play fast solos.

As far as the Tab goes, it's nowhere near as difficult as it appears, and hopefully the 'person who started this thread' will see it was done more as a helpful tool than a person whom is 'showing off'
    He said he wanted to learn the solo to paranoid and I don't see Tony Iommi using finger style picking at all in that solo. He is interested in learning fast solos, obviously with a pick. Now tell me how telling him not to use a pick and typing a monstrous post full of some tab is helping him learn the solo in paranoid. Did you really think he was going to sit down and read all that and more importantly did you think your advice helped him more than all the other posts with good, short and simple advice? It was just totally unnecessary and it seemed like a stuck up thing to do. I know it's not a difficult tab btw. I can tell just by looking it over, but it was just irrelevant.
    Last edited by soonerfan28; 12-01-2008 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Dalby View Post

I mean just look at this. All the proof I need to say you were showing off is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
    Maybe I'm stupid, but... I don't really get it either. I thought Rich was into learning Hardrock / metal lead guitar solos. I find it a little confusing, refering to those Jazz and flamenco "finger picking" techniques you posted Ashley, as I have never seen any rock guitarist playing ripping leads with his fingers (except for Albert Collins, but that's the old Delta Blues).
    My best advice is to use a flat guitar pick, like Tony Iommi himself.
    Also keep it simple and stick to what really feels interesting and comfortable playing. But that's just my 2 cents...
    I knew exactly what Rich was seeking to learn with his first post, but just because Tony uses a pick, does that mean you have to as well?

You can play any solo on earth with a pick, but it's only going to be so 'fast', whereas if you learn to play with your fingers, you can do more things and, more importantly, you can play 'faster'. Plus Niklas many rock/metal guitar players from the 1970's played with their fingers because most were Classically trained. Rock And Roll Machine, Hell Bent For Leather, Street Fighter Man, Mean Street anyone?

The reason I suggested learning the Jazz chords is because Jazz chords are somewhat difficult to not only form but jump from one to the next. So by that rationale, if you can learn difficult hand positions you will train your fingers to move in unusual ways. Everyone has told Rich to keep it 'simple' and do what feels 'right', but they never suggested actually stepping outside the box and challenging ones self to difficult things. As I said in my first post in this thread, if you learn to do something the hard way, the easy way, which is the road most often traveled, will be just that. It's far more gratifying to do something unusually, that way you know you've done it, but it also turns peoples heads more than just recognizing what your playing.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan28 View Post
    He said he wanted to learn the solo to paranoid and I don't see Tony Iommi using finger style picking at all in that solo. He is interested in learning fast solos, obviously with a pick. Now tell me how telling him not to use a pick and typing a monstrous post full of some tab is helping him learn the solo in paranoid. Did you really think he was going to sit down and read all that and more importantly did you think your advice helped him more than all the other posts with good, short and simple advice? It was just totally unnecessary and it seemed like a stuck up thing to do. I know it's not a difficult tab btw. I can tell just by looking it over, but it was just irrelevant.
    Since I am being accused of 'showing off' here, I can play most of Tony's riffs and solos withOUT a guitar pick. It doesn't make me any better of a guitarist than the next person, nor does it put any awards on my walls, I was merely offering my advice, and I was directing that advice towards Rich, NOT you. So no matter how you come to judge my posts as 'irrelevant', if Rich benefitted from them in any way, then good, and if he did not, then so be that as well.