Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which languages do you speak?

So, how mono/multi lingual are you? You can choose any number of languages that you speak - ue your own definition of what degree of knowledge it takes to "speak", but normally it should mean be able to communicate!

I put as options first the 10 languages with most native speakers, by descending order (as given by the Encarta estimate), and then by alphabetical order the other European Union official languages. Sorry for descriminating against other languages, there are over 100 official languages, and over 7000 other languages!

Default Re: Which languages do you speak?

I am of Swiss-German/Hiberno-Norman (i.e., the Normans that did the cross-Channel invasion and ended up running most of Ireland) descent and I speak some German. I've been looking into my Norman ancestry (actually, Anne Boleyn and William Butler Yeats are in my bloodline) and trying to figure out that language...

I know just enough Canadian/Quebecois French to be able to barely follow the dialogue on French-language CBC Radio, but I'm by no means fluent. If I'd ever visit Quebec - which I'd like to, especially Quebec City - I'd be up the creek. I can read French signs somewhat but as far as carrying on a conversation, no.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Martian.
    I also speak Esperanto like a native.

English, and I'm in my 5th year of studying french.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Pig latin. And I could order a beer in Mexico.

well, I could at least have put Esperanto and Norwegian (great Metal land!!! And the most beautiful country I ever visited) - sorry about that to all native Esperanto speakers!

English,French and Kanien:keha'ka

(Its a Native American Language
    R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

Banned

just English... my wife can speak Mandarin and my 7 year old Spanish... I'm learning the insults just in case!

English and some Spanish. I didn't put Slovak on the checklist, but I know a few words and phrases.
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

My mother language is spanish. I'd say I can speak english reasonably good, although my accent is horrible since my first teachers were British and then I had a few American teachers, so it's sort of a mishmash of both

I also took german lessons for four years when I was like 9 but I've forgotten most of it. I'd like to start over again someday.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

well i speak
    Candain
    Englsh
    Fucket up Englsh
    Stoner
    Drunk
    and Polish..

Danish (my first language, English, and German. I'm a lot better at English and Danish than I am at German, but I like to believe that I can handle myself fairly well in German too. I took Spanish lessons for 2 years in highschool, but claiming that I actually SPEAK it, would be a bit optimistic...

Banned

Only English really, although I do know the most absolute basic of German verbs and nouns.

Originally Posted By: devilmaycare just English... my wife can speak Mandarin and my 7 year old Spanish... I'm learning the insults just in case!
    Is your wife Chinese? Just curious.

I am fluent in English and conversationally fluent in Spanish (my wife speaks Spanish as her first language). I took a course in Mandarin Chinese at the community college this past spring, but had to drop out when long days at work forced me to miss classes. It is a VERY hard language to learn.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth I took Spanish lessons for 2 years in highschool, but claiming that I actually SPEAK it, would be a bit optimistic...
    If you were ever to meet a beautiful senorita you would pick it up in no time. I speak from personal experience, albeit experience that happened a LONG time ago.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Originally Posted By: Franklin
    Originally Posted By: Sir Kenneth I took Spanish lessons for 2 years in highschool, but claiming that I actually SPEAK it, would be a bit optimistic...
    If you were ever to meet a beautiful senorita you would pick it up in no time. I speak from personal experience, albeit experience that happened a LONG time ago.
    Franklin, you wise old seer, you are actually talking about me, pal. On this poll, I somewhat disingenously clicked on Spanish and Japanese, when fact is I'm nowhere near fluent in either.

Now, the senorita part that you suggest is, in fact, part of my own fondest memories of romance too. I recall how as a 19 year-old I was besotted with a 22 year-old goddess from Barcelona. I seriously dated that Catalonian cutie for close to 2 years before we sort of drifted apart and things fizzled out, ughh, the terrible tyranny of distance getting in the way of a potentially lasting relationship. Anyway, all my swell times spent with her meant my grip on Spanish was going from strength to strength. And when we went apart, sadly, my impressive fluency in Spanish swiftly sank south. I regret that hugely---i.e. both the loss of my precious love and the slipping away from the wonderful language.

Now, having spent, on and off, nearly half of the past two years here in Japan, I belatedly, almost by compulsion, had to make a serious effort at mastering at least some of Japanese. Glad to report that while I'm still far from being a smooth-talking, near-native-level speaker, I'm definitely having a much easier time getting by from day to day talking in Japanese with locals---ranging from a handful of co-workers that seem to genuinely appreciate and enjoy my efforts, to shopping and groceries I have to do dealing with middle-aged or even elderly Japanese that are visibly relieved to have a white, foreign guy make it a lot easier for them doing business. Thank god for that, because as ravenously attached as I've always been to Japanese food, a respectable command over the language helps me on the cuisine and dining front, in many different ways. Btw, last week, at an outdoor supermarket, I had a raging row with a few locals about the savage, gory Japanese tradition of whale-hunting, a practice (especially in the stubbornly brutal Japanese style) that I have always stridently denounced. Oh, how I wish I could have let rip in English, instead. The locals had a massive, unfair advantage and must have relished mauling me in their choice local indignant insults..

Alas, all I can boast of is a native speaker's mastery of ENGLISH, that's all!
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Banned

Originally Posted By: devilmaycare just English... my wife can speak Mandarin and my 7 year old Spanish... I'm learning the insults just in case!
    Is your wife Chinese? Just curious.

I am fluent in English and conversationally fluent in Spanish (my wife speaks Spanish as her first language). I took a course in Mandarin Chinese at the community college this past spring, but had to drop out when long days at work forced me to miss classes. It is a VERY hard language to learn.
    No, she's Australian of German, Lithuanian & South African decent! However she had a position where she was in charge of the South East Asian arm of the company she works for and had spend a fare amount of time in China, so decided to learn the language... She picked it up pretty quickly. I think if you throw yourself in the deep end & actually spend time in the country surrounded by people with little or no English, you have to pick it up pretty damn fast! Especially when you're faced with a restaurant menu & want to know what the hell you're ingesting!

English and I can understand Spanish pretty well if I'm reading or if it's not spoken too fast. I don't speak it very well though.
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Sure, I could say "hello", "my name is Kenneth", and "what time is it?". Then I could order her a beer in Spanish and then I could call her "puta", "culo" or something obscene like that. You underestimate my crappiness at Spanish

When I was a kid many of my friends wanted me to teach them German swear words.

Profanity is universal, it seems.

not only profanity...

Wenn ich mit Menschen- und mit Engelszungen redete und htte die Liebe nicht, so wre ich ein tnendes Erz oder eine klingende Schelle

Ainda que eu fale as lnguas dos homens e dos anjos, se no tiver caridade, serei como o bronze que soa ou como o cmbalo que retine

If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal

Quand je parlerais toutes les langues des hommes, et mme des Anges, si je n'ai pas la charit, je suis l'airain qui rsonne, ou la cymbale retentissant

Si yo hablo en lenguas de hombres y de ngeles, pero no tengo amor, vengo a ser como bronce que resuena o un Cmbalo que retie

Well, I can speak portuguese and english very good, I suppose. I also understand italian and spanish when people talk to me (even if it's fast). I can also read in french...
    Can't you see what I see
    You and I victims of Their word
    As the master of power
    Try to poison our world
    ----- Eternal Idol ~ 1987

Originally Posted By: DiosSword Profanity is universal, it seems.
    And the allure and popularity of it is too.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Finnish, english and swedish.

Originally Posted By: RLP4ever
    Franklin, you wise old seer, you are actually talking about me, pal. On this poll, I somewhat disingenously clicked on Spanish and Japanese, when fact is I'm nowhere near fluent in either.

Now, the senorita part that you suggest is, in fact, part of my own fondest memories of romance too. I recall how as a 19 year-old I was besotted with a 22 year-old goddess from Barcelona. I seriously dated that Catalonian cutie for close to 2 years before we sort of drifted apart and things fizzled out, ughh, the terrible tyranny of distance getting in the way of a potentially lasting relationship. Anyway, all my swell times spent with her meant my grip on Spanish was going from strength to strength. And when we went apart, sadly, my impressive fluency in Spanish swiftly sank south. I regret that hugely---i.e. both the loss of my precious love and the slipping away from the wonderful language.

Now, having spent, on and off, nearly half of the past two years here in Japan, I belatedly, almost by compulsion, had to make a serious effort at mastering at least some of Japanese. Glad to report that while I'm still far from being a smooth-talking, near-native-level speaker, I'm definitely having a much easier time getting by from day to day talking in Japanese with locals---ranging from a handful of co-workers that seem to genuinely appreciate and enjoy my efforts, to shopping and groceries I have to do dealing with middle-aged or even elderly Japanese that are visibly relieved to have a white, foreign guy make it a lot easier for them doing business. Thank god for that, because as ravenously attached as I've always been to Japanese food, a respectable command over the language helps me on the cuisine and dining front, in many different ways. Btw, last week, at an outdoor supermarket, I had a raging row with a few locals about the savage, gory Japanese tradition of whale-hunting, a practice (especially in the stubbornly brutal Japanese style) that I have always stridently denounced. Oh, how I wish I could have let rip in English, instead. The locals had a massive, unfair advantage and must have relished mauling me in their choice local indignant insults..

<span style="font-weight: bold">Alas, all I can boast of is a native speaker's mastery of ENGLISH, that's all!
    </span>

And Strine?

Originally Posted By: Mr. Haskins And Strine?
    You cheeky Pom, as usual!! Yeah, Strine too, obviously, though too much overseas living has somewhat blunted the sexy edge off that, sadly...

Originally Posted By: Mr. Haskins And Strine?
    You cheeky Pom, as usual!! Yeah, Strine too, obviously, though too much overseas living has somewhat blunted the sexy edge off that, sadly...

Russian and English naturally.
    I've been studying Chinese in school but I positively sucked at this, and when I stopped my Chinese classes I quickly forgot what (if anything) I knew.

I still remember several dozens of hieroglyphs but that's about it.

About the same time I studied some Japanese but all I can say in Japanese now are "hello" and "goodbye".
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

Russian and English naturally.
    I've been studying Chinese in school but I positively sucked at this, and when I stopped my Chinese classes I quickly forgot what (if anything) I knew.

I still remember several dozens of hieroglyphs but that's about it.

About the same time I studied some Japanese but all I can say in Japanese now are "hello" and "goodbye".
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

I can speak Marathi, Hindi, English, Troll and 1337.

Can also speak some Italian... although it is limited to only Vorrei la colazione completa! Grazie.
    Tony Iommi Fact #021
    Before telling Tony Iommi his guitar was slightly out of tune, Ronnie James Dio was seven feet tall.

Stolen from: Tony Iommi Facts website.

>>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Banned

qu?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    VERY good! LOL

Native is Norwegian.
    Then English.
    Currently i'm learning Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM45 View Post
    English and I can understand Spanish pretty well if I'm reading or if it's not spoken too fast. I don't speak it very well though.
    About the same here. I lived in a Hispanic neighborhood for about 6 years. Learned to read some, know enough vulgar Spanish to start a good bar fight..

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfMetal View Post
    well i speak
    Fucket up Englsh
    Stoner
    Drunk

I believe I speak stoner as well
    "Just remember love is life and hate is living death" - A National Acrobat

http://flummoxed.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy85 View Post
    About the same here. I lived in a Hispanic neighborhood for about 6 years. Learned to read some, know enough vulgar Spanish to start a good bar fight..
    I can do the same thing with Canadian French. Not really enough to hold a conversation, but probably enough to get my face slapped or start a fight at a bar in Quebec.

English, that is all, I am ashamed to say.
    "I can honestly say its truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by nunoni View Post
    well, I could at least have put Esperanto and Norwegian (great Metal land!!! And the most beautiful country I ever visited) - sorry about that to all native Esperanto speakers!
    Awesome that you speak Norwegian!!!!

Finnish is my native tonque, beside that, a deasent english.
    "From memories of '68, when Wizard shook the world"
    by Halford in Made in Hell