Thread: Hammer Horror!

Default Hammer Horror!

Anyone here a fan of the films produced by Hammer Studios of England? Movies such as <span style="font-style: italic">The Curse of Frankenstein</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">Horror of Dracula</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">The Vampire Lovers</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">The Devil's Bride</span> (otherwise known as <span style="font-style: italic">The Devil Rides Out</span>), and <span style="font-style: italic">Twins of Evil</span> are among the many classics released by this company. And, of course, they featured the best team in horror film history, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing (often as Dracula and Van Helsing, respectively).

I've been watching some of the films again recently and thought I'd see if there were any like-minded souls around here.

Banned

Default Re: Hammer Horror!

Hmm... Most of 'em are pretty low budget and kinda cheesy...

And not at all scary...

But I guess they have some camp kinda comedy value. I used to watch them as a kid... but only for the breasts!

And my, what breasts. Especially Ingrid Pitt!

Some certainly have an overabundance of cheese. One of the later films attempted to mix the vampire genre with kung-fu to hilarious results.

As far as the scare factor, I've never seen a movie in my life, with the exception of my first viewing of <span style="font-style: italic">The Exorcist</span>, that actually scared me. And I've seen a lot of horror films in my day.

Despite the low budgets and the occasional cheese, I think they are better crafted and more enduring than many films of their ilk from that era. The acting is what separates them. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are two of my personal favorite actors. As far as I am concerned, Gary Oldman is Lee's only real competition as the definitive screen Dracula.

Christopher Lee IS Dracula.

I got the set of eight movies recently (Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Night Creatures, Phantom of the Opera, Paranoiac, Nightmare, Evil of Frankenstein, Kiss of the Vampire). Just watched Night Creatures, which is probably the best movie the studio put out.

I'm a big fan of all the older Horror movies, whether by Hammer Studios or otherwise. In fact, I would even go as far to say that the cheesier they are, the better I like 'em!
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

Rob Zombie likes them - I watched scars of Dracula last night actually - I love the bats rubber on the string

Rob Zombie likes them - I watched scars of Dracula last night actually - I love the bats rubber on the string

That's part of their charm - the low budget special effects. Long on acting talent and excellent musical scores to help set atmosphere, they were, invariably, chock full of bad special fx.

That's part of their charm - the low budget special effects. Long on acting talent and excellent musical scores to help set atmosphere, they were, invariably, chock full of bad special fx.

The word special is not one you can really use when talking about Hammer's effects but as you have said it doesn't matter. These films are true classics in the very real sense of the word.

My personal fave is "The Reptile" and when i was a boy it did scare the c**p out of me.

The word special is not one you can really use when talking about Hammer's effects but as you have said it doesn't matter. These films are true classics in the very real sense of the word.

My personal fave is "The Reptile" and when i was a boy it did scare the c**p out of me.

Love the old Hammer House films, use to watch them as a kid and still do, they knew how to make movies back then.

Which reminds me of a member on here who also loved Hammer House movies, with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I like them because they're cheesy!

I got interested in them because of Peter Cushing playing Governor Tarkin in Star Wars.
    He is not here. He has risen!