Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default Forum software is now vBulletin

There's plenty that has changed around here. First off, we are using vBulletin now instead of ubb.threads. The reason for this is there were starting to be some problems with ubb.threads that I could not resolve. Some folks were totally unable to post, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. That was not the primary reason, but a secondary reason. The primary reason is that I've wanted to go to vB for some time now, and I haven't out of cost - a vB license costs $180, and I didn't have the money. However, my brother had a license for vB which he is now no longer using, so we transferred the license to me, and here we are. I will get into the new vBulletin features shortly, but there are some issues with a few features from the old board I need to address.

I know people tend to skip these kinds of messages, but I really need you to READ ALL OF IT, and not just skim through it. It will save both of us some hassle and time later!

First off, a few things did not get converted from ubb.threads. They are:

1. Existing polls. This is most a problem for the folks doing the album popularity polls. I'm sorry about that.
    2. Your last "activity" date. For some reason the board didn't pick that up, and everyone has a null activity date which gets shown as a date from 1969.
    3. Also, some people's avatars did get picked up. Most did not. I'm unclear as to why some did and some did not, but you're likely going to have to set a new avatar.
    4. The "portal page" on the front of the forums. That feature does not exist in vBulletin.
    5. Name Change queue - there is no facility in this software for you to change your own name. You'll have to send me a message to do it.
    6. Your local time zone setting. Some profiles default now to GMT. It will have to be changed.
    7. Not all old ubbcodes got converted properly. Color in posts were not, most bold and italic, etc. The problem is there's not a single piece of text to key off of to do a search and replace to fix them.

Those are the things that flat out did not get converted. A couple of things I decided manually to not bring with us to the new board. These things are:

1. Signatures. This is for two reasons. First, they were converted, but the conversion program picked up all the UBBCode as HTML here on this board, and it was a friggin MESS. To try and clean it up would have taken days, so I just decided to jettison everyone's signature, and have them be re-entered new. vBulletin will also finally allow me to do something I've wanted to do for ages. Properly control signature length. Some people think it's amusing to have signatures that are 20 lines long, and then post a message that is just one line. No more. There are details on the limits elsewhere in this post.
    2. Private Messages. I nuked every private message on every account after conversion. The reason for that is that the converter program also converted deleted messages. I alone had about 2,500 private messages here after the software conversion was done. No way did I want to try and clean that up. I looked at the logs, and most of the accounts had hundreds in there. Too many, so I just nuked everything, and we're starting from scratch with private messages here.
    3. Login name. ubb.threads had the concept of a login name and a display name. They did not have to be the same. vBulletin does not have that kind of deal, so during conversion I had to pick one. I used the display name from the forums, not the login name. So if yours was different, then you will now have a different login name, but the password is the same.

There were a couple of forums about info, FAQ, and whatnot that got sucked into the new FAQ area here on vBulletin. Head over there if you want to read those.

Because of all these changes, I STRONGLY suggest you go to your user profile right now and set up your account.
    Look at all the options, make sure everything is the way you want it. Please.

OK, that's what has changed in terms of things that were on the old board and aren't here now. But there's a boatload of new stuff, too. here's some details on what is new. Some of it is very cool.

• Subforums - This allows me to put forums into logical groups - this further helps streamline the front page, should we expand the forums more in the future.
    • Quick Reply - Not exactly a new feature, but I did not have it available on our old forums, I've turned it on here, because..
    • Flat Mode - vB allows me to lock the forums into a flat file mode. When we switched to ubb.threads, I did it because it was MySQL based, not because of the "threaded mode". Since I can lock the forums into flat mode like we used to have, I've done that - since virtually no one used threaded mode, I've done away with it.
    • Export of Private Messages - You can export your private messages to XML/CSV/Text before deleting them.
    • Private Message Folders - You can create personal folders in your PM area for messages.
    • More advanced message editor. There is a full WYSIWYG option, or there's the old school basic version. There's also a middle of the road version, which is the default.
    • Multiquote: This will allow you to tag multiple posts that you wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. When you actually reply, all the quoted text will be in there.
    • Mark Forum Read Changes: If you wish to mark a forum read, you can simply click its status icon on the index page and the change will be processed without a reload. Likewise, if you mark a forum read while inside a forum, doing that will no longer force you "up one step" in the category list; you'll remain where you are.
    • Quick Edit Reason: When doing a quick edit to one of your posts, you can now leave a reason why without going into the full reply screen.
    • Infraction System: This is a new way of keeping control over troublemakers. Basically a user can have an infraction tagged onto their account, and if enough of them are built up over time, further action can be automatically taken. I've yet to figure out the system and how exactly it will be implemented here, but I will eventually use it once I figure out a scale that I feel can work.
    • Buddy List/Ingore List: The Buddy & Ignore lists are easier to use now.
    • Signature Permissions: In the past, the only control I had over signatures was a total character limit, as wel as whether to allow images or not. Well, this new version gives me complete control over every aspect of what can go into a signature. Further info on how I've implemented this are detailed elsewhere in this post.
    • RSS Poster Robot: One interesting new feature is where vB can read rss posts, and create threads out of what it finds in there. I've been testing this for awhile on my test board, and it does show promise, but the feature doesn't work exactly correct (has to do with formatting of inbound text). I reported it as a bug, and was told it'd get fixed in the next version of the software. For now I'm not using this, but eventually will, not sure exactly how quite yet.
    • PM Restrictions: You can now choose to restrict inbound private messages to only people on your buddy list. Administrators (me) and Moderators are exempt from this restriction and can always send a PM if needed.
    • Private Message Warning: Some of you guys are private message hogs. I can see that by the statistics. The system will now send you a warning message if you get to 90% of your capacity. Remember, it's not meant to be a message archive system.
    • Thread redirects: If myself or one of the staff move your thread from one area to another and leave behind a thread redirect, said redirect can now be set to remove itself after a certain amount of time.
    • Thread Tagging: You can now leave tags in a thread. If you created the thread, you can leave 5 tags, and you can leave 2 if you did not create the thread. There is also a tag cloud you can see on this page, or on the advanced search page.
    • Thread Prefixes: The software has the capability to have prefixes for threads. I can't think of a reason for this on the forums at the moment, but the software can do it.
    • Reciprocal Friendships: As part of our new social networking system, users can now request that people on their buddy list confirm their friendship, after which time a person's list of confirmed friends will be viewable to other users. That was vB's text. Basically this appears to work the same way as your publicaly viewable friends list on Myspace.
    • Profile Public Messaging: Pretty straightforward. You can leave posts on other people's profile pages. This appears to function the same way as Myspace's comments, or Facebook's "The Wall".
    • User Picture Galleries: You can have your own photo gallery in your profile. It's not unlimited, you can have a max of 50 pictures total and there are image limits too both on dimension and size. The limits are mostly for space, we don't have unlimited space on the server. Furthermore the images cannot be remote loaded. They'll only work as defined, as they're served out of the forum database. Comments can also be left on the pictures too (much like Myspace).
    • User created Social Groups: You can create and/or join various social groups (vB's term, not mine) created by other end users. These groups are enhanced by having their own public messaging system, and the ability to add pictures to the group from user albums.
    • New User Profile Page: Because of all this new stuff, the user profile page has been redone. The old ones were pretty blah. This has a BOATLOAD of more information, and includes the last few features above this one on the list. This was the primary function broken by the old "3DR Site Wrapper" code. You can also see how many people have viewed your profile page, and who the last few people to visit it were. The 'About Me' tab of each member's profile page has edit controls, allowing them to quickly change values without leaving their profile page.
    • Customization of User Profile Page: You can change your profile page, just like Myspace as well. However, you can't trash it like you can on Myspace. There are limits on what you can do - they're font color, size, family mostly. You can personalize it yes, but it won't get nearly as godawful as some myspace fiascoes can get. To that, if a user has modified their profile page, there is a switch for you to ignore their changes and look at the forum default.
    • Post attachment enhancements: If you encounter a post with an image file attachment (there aren't many since users can't upload attachments), when you view said attachment, the "lightbox" way of displaying them is now used. The old way was just to open the image up in another window. Now you stay in the same window/tab, and see the lightbox method. A picture is attached to this message so you can see how this works now.
    • ReCaptcha now in use: New user signups have a seriously more powerful implementation of captcha in use. Has the ability to speak now, too.
    • Thread bookmarking: The bottom of each thread now has the ability to submit the thread to various sites. Initially, it's set up to go with Digg, Google, StumbleUpon, & delicious (sp!).
    • Remote Image resizing: The old "3DR wrapper" site design would resize an image you posted in a post. If it was larger than 550px wide, it would get resized to 550px to keep from breaking site layout. Said limit is now upped with the skin change - the trigger is 800px now.

Here are the new bits for the new vBulletin code that are mostly for forum staff:

• Post Edit History: While this will be of primary use to the staff, it does have relevance to the end user, too. You know how on Wikipedia you can look at the history of a page, and see what the changes were in previous versions? Well, you can do that with individual posts now. This will be particularly useful for people who post dumb/insulting crap, flame people, then edit it out. You can't hide behind that now. You can look at your own revisions, too. This is found in the "Post last edited by" text that appears at the bottom of an edited post.
    • Spam Prevention tools: Staff can now select a post by a spammer, and then remove all posts by the user, autoban, etc, etc, etc. Previously only ADM and myself could do this. This will help get spambots off the boards faster. I'd like to take this moment to remind you that you should use the "Report this Post" feature instead of replying to spambots, who won't see your post anyway.
    • Navbar notices: This is similar to the old "announcements", but they're way more powerful. Announcments I could show to anyone on defined forums with a date range. Notices are similar, but WAY more powerful. If you look at this image, you can see the level of things you can direct a message to. The msg that had your name in it telling you to visit this thread was one such notice.

Signature limits are now in effect - this is a new feature, and any changes to your signature will be bound to these rules. The software won't let you get around them. This is an attempt to reel in some of the really out of control signatures around here. There's plenty of people who have 10-12 lines signatures yet post about one or two lines of text. Or have alternating color in every other letter in their sig, or have tried font size 7 lettering, etc... I've left in some of the controls, so there is some semblance of creativity, but I'm not allowing for the archy that used to exist in the old system. All existing signatures are as is, because I didn't feel it fair to wipe out everyone's signature all at once just to make everyone conform. The overhwelming majority of sigs are fine. But for people who are outside the boundaries here, if we see the sig, we'll send something privately to this user about it. Anyway, here are the limits - this is taken from the control panel area, and shows all the options available for sig control:

• Max characters including BBCode: 1000
    • Max characters excluding BBCode: 500
    • Max lines: 5
    • Allow Color BBCode: Yes
    • Allow Size BBCode: Yes
    • Max BBCode Size: 2 (message text default is 2)
    • Allow Font BBCode: Yes
    • Allow Alignment BBCode: Yes
    • Allow List BBCode: No
    • Allow Link BBCode: Yes
    • Allow Code BBCode: No
    • Allow PHP BBCode: No
    • Allow HTML BBCode: Hell No
    • Allow Quote BBCode: No
    • Allow Image Code: HELL NO!
    • Allow Smilies: No
    • Allow HTML: OVER MY DEAD BODY!

As I said before, this is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a huge amount of new things in this software. Not all of them are things that you will see; there's a big amount of control panel/admin type stuff. However, you should go check out this thread as well as this thread. These are on the vBulletin support board and go into EXTREME detail with the features, including several things I didn't mention above at all.

One serious note. There are a lot of new features that the end user can do something with in this revision. As with anything the "end user" can do comes a new avenue for abuse. Just about everything that's been added has a "report this" link of some sort. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - IF YOU SEE SOMETHING THAT IS QUESTIONABLE, REPORT IT VIA THE REPORT FEATURE. Don't send the staff PM's, or send me an email. The best way to help is the report it feature. The entire staff gets alerted at the same time that way, and whoever shows up first can deal with a problem.

One final note. The layout theme you see on the boards here is temporary. I needed to make this move quickly, and had to pick a color theme that at least somewhat resembled the old site layout. I will be having the boards overhauled in a couple of weeks. So this look and feel is just temporary, but the feature set is here to stay.

Thanks for reading this novel, and if you have any questions about the new forum stuff, please post about it in this thread!
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 08-29-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

It looks fantastic Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by David86 View Post
    It looks fantastic Joe!
    The only thing I'm not happy with is the fact that the layout looks not a lot like the rest of the site. I'll work on that in the coming weeks, but the software is a lot more powerful than before.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Yeah, very much like when you opened the forums for the first time in '04 and we had the standard purple layout... So you're gonna put the site's sidebar menu again I guess, and make it brown-ish?
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Yeah, very much like when you opened the forums for the first time in '04 and we had the standard purple layout... So you're gonna put the site's sidebar menu again I guess, and make it brown-ish?
    I haven't decided on that yet. I'm liking the expanded space for messages. We'll see. I honestly haven't thought about it that much.

Banned

There doesn't seem to be an option to upload an avatar image on your own. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    There doesn't seem to be an option to upload an avatar image on your own. Am I missing something?
    There is. Or there should be. I'll look into it.

Edit: It was turned off by accident. It's now on - you can upload away.

Banned

Thanks Joe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    The only thing I'm not happy with is the fact that the layout looks not a lot like the rest of the site. I'll work on that in the coming weeks, but the software is a lot more powerful than before.
    There should be a way, Joe, with VB, to have the post-bit (the long box where avatar, name, all that goes) tacked onto the side of the posts as opposed to over top of it. I know that two of the other VB forums I go to have that option, anyway.

That might help in making the layout more similar to the old boards. It'd save space as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
    There should be a way, Joe, with VB, to have the post-bit (the long box where avatar, name, all that goes) tacked onto the side of the posts as opposed to over top of it. I know that two of the other VB forums I go to have that option, anyway.

That might help in making the layout more similar to the old boards. It'd save space as well.
    There is. It's a switch in the control panel. I thought I'd play around with it this way a bit, see what the reaction is.

So are you oing to try to put the forums back to the way they were a few days ago? Or are you going in a different direction, or are you going to leave it like this?
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

I want to meet Devil May Care's avatar. And I love the spell check feature. Yeppie

The whole profile thing is so cool.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

I can finally POST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    So are you oing to try to put the forums back to the way they were a few days ago? Or are you going in a different direction, or are you going to leave it like this?
    I might play around with the looks, but we're going to stay with vBulletin.

Banned

now i know you pointed out that the polls haen't come over from the other format, but checking a few I noticed that every post is duplicated. Just seems like a waste of valuable space...

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    now i know you pointed out that the polls haen't come over from the other format, but checking a few I noticed that every post is duplicated. Just seems like a waste of valuable space...
    I saw that too. Probably some issue with the importer.

Pretty good. Here's to the new system.

And I already posted my thoughts on here, but I'll just quote it:
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
    Yeah, now I redid mine. It's kind of cool I guess. Distinguishes each other board member. I just got three friend invites, all accepted of course. I found it amusing that in your profile you could go all the way back to the first thread you have created. Some that make me cringe, while others raise good times for me. This new board has a MySpace appeal to it, only more Sabbathized (if there was ever such a word). My only complaint: well, not really a complaint, but the design colors are too dark (Grey and Black). It's kind of depressing, makes me wonder if there was a skin changer for this forum that everyone change for themselves. That's all I really got to say.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Banned

Looks excellent, Joe.

Edit: Only thing I've noticed though, is that some avatars didn't import properly on the way here, such as BloodShtBass' and airdance's; the old boards inherently shrunk the images, these ones do not for some reason. Thought I'd point it out.
    Last edited by The Butt; 08-30-2008 at 02:16 PM.

^^^Already pointed that out, except for Bloodshot Bass.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Looks excellent, Joe.

Edit: Only thing I've noticed though, is that some avatars didn't import properly on the way here, such as BloodShtBass' and airdance's; the old boards inherently shrunk the images, these ones do not for some reason. Thought I'd point it out.
    That's because the importer assumed the avatars were the right size, and did not convert them. Short of nuking them all (which I really don't want to do), I have to fix 'em by hand as they're reported.

I noticed that when you click on a thread with new posts it doesn't automatically "jump" to the newest post. Does this software has that feature?

Banned

^ Click the yellow doo-hickey beside the thread name.

Well, thank you for keep this forum running, Joe. When I saw your post "this forums are now closed" I first thought 'Damn, Joe ended it...', but after I read your message I was jubilous about we still have a place to hang! You are first class for doing it!

PS: Joe, bro... Do we have a avatar size rule? I think we should have, I just saw a guy with a avatar fitting 1/4 of the screen!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rules View Post
    PS: Joe, bro... Do we have a avatar size rule? I think we should have, I just saw a guy with a avatar fitting 1/4 of the screen!

There's still the avatar size rule, you can't make it larger than 100x125. But the importer screwed a lot of avvys up, so the ones that were originally shrunk to fit, now aren't.

^ Click the yellow doo-hickey beside the thread name.
    Ooooh... *walks out of thread slowly*

Ooooh... *walks out of thread slowly*
    Hm... I'm lost here, hint? hint?

Damn! And I was just getting used to the old program. Actually, so far this looks pretty neat. Guilty as charged on the signature issue. I guess that won't happen again, huh?

Seriously, I have been looking for dmc's avatar all my life!
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

I might play around with the looks, but we're going to stay with vBulletin.

Right, vBulletin it is, but is it possible to get the forums to look like they did before?

I mean are they like this forever? Or are you going to change it to sothing completely different?
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Slysmile

Just some things.

Is it possible to use the size bbcode to size our signatures down instead of up? You're using that in your sig. I prefer to have a tiny sig text, instead of it being the same size as my post. Can't we just have values that are the default size or less, and none of the larger text sizes? That way no one can use it to be annoying, but we can all still have smaller sigs.

These quick reply boxes are a pain. Why can't I just scroll down and type in them without finding a post to click 'QUICK' on. It works on my other forum, but here I get a popup about having to click in someone else's post.

I made an avatar out of the new H&H logo they posted on their site. Feel free to add it to the collection:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    Is there a way to get rid of this? It's really annoying when you're doing Survivor polls or the word association thread.

Banned

One question; can we get the font color in posts to be white again, as opposed to this grey (and possibly links changed back to yellow)? I'm on my old PC, and even with the brightness on max, the font is extremely hard to read.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
    Is there a way to get rid of this? It's really annoying when you're doing Survivor polls or the word association thread.
    Consider yourself lucky I didn't make it higher. I detest posts that have just one word or two in them.

As for the requests about looks, fonts, colors. Good Lord people -don't you READ? I said this is a temporary look, that'd I'd be playing around with it later.

Also do not forget, I do this in my spare time. When I'm busy at work (like now), there's no time for this, generally.

Banned

Also do not forget, I do this in my spare time. When I'm busy at work (like now), there's no time for this, generally.
    Understood. Just thought I'd put it out there.

I haven't been around it awhile and decided to check on the forums tonight, and to my surprise they were closed, but this place looks great.

Allow HTML: OVER MY DEAD BODY!
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahahaha thats pretty funny. Anyway Joe that is great you switch from UBBthreads to Vbulletin. I personly love Vbulletin than UBB anyway and hoping you keep it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcStitz View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahahaha thats pretty funny. Anyway Joe that is great you switch from UBBthreads to Vbulletin. I personly love Vbulletin than UBB anyway and hoping you keep it this way.
    Me too. It looks a lot better, and once Joe has the time he can make a cool layout possible or something.
    Iommi = Sabbath

I see you've put the site's borders & menu bar around the forum.

I like it!

Yeah I just noticed now that the side bar is up along with the border. I love how it matches together, like the board is now built in against the black background.

So any time soon are you going to link directly to this board when clicking the Message Board on the side menu?