Thread: Down nola

Default Down nola

So before all heck broke loose in the stock market, I invested in CDs. Music CDs, that is. It's taken me a while, but I finally gave Down's NOLA a sufficient listen to appreciate it.

I have seen this music classified as sludge/stoner metal and, of course, there is the Pantera connection, but I hear this as just hard, southern blues, rock and I love it. Fav's so far: first song Temptation's Wings and last song Bury Me In Smoke.

Obviously, this is an old album so many of you guys are already much more familiar with it than I am. What are your thoughts?
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I too just picked it up a few months back. I had always like the song "Stone the Crow." I listened to it once, but then I really got into Iced Earth and have not paid attention to the down CD.

Reading you post, I will make sure to listen to all 3 of their CD's today and give them a fair shake with my ears.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

I can't stand to listen to it. Pretty much anything "sung" by Phil Anselmo gets trashed by me. It's the same reason I can't get into Pantera either. If both bands were pure instrumentalists I'd like it.

I've seen Pantera in concert twice (only because they were opening acts for Black Sabbath and Ozzy, respectively), and I was bored to tears. I like Dime all right, but it's too bad he was a part of what I feel to be crap bands from start to finish. RIP and all, but oh well.

I like Stone The Crow and Jail. Other than that it's pretty much "meh" for me.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Banned

I've only heard a few songs from the album; both of my best friends own the album, and constantly listen to the album whenever I'm over, but that's the only exposure I've had to it.

What I do remember from the album, though (Stone the Crows, Lifer, Swan Song, and Bury Me in Smoke), has been marvelous. There's a lot of Sabbath influence strealed throughout. And Phil really is one of the greatest clean vocalists ever, IMO.

I bought NOLA at the time it actually came out, not merely because I was a Pantera enthusiast, but since Phil was my fave from the band I was gonna (and eventually did) try out every of the several solo albums he put out.

I definitely like NOLA a whole lot and for me, it's clearly the best DOWN release--with Down II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow a very good close second best, while Down III: Over the Under was a disappointing, dull let-down for me.

NOLA exhibits some of the many musical passions of Phil Anselmo. Phil has also flaunted his hardcore, black metal, and other underground metal interests in his other solo outings---not all of which, admittedly were all that good. Down, is in fact, one of his better solo bands he's tried a hand at through his superb career as an extreme metal vocalist and musical artisan. I think of NOLA as essentially a classy southern-fried rock-metal record..Sure, it's got the whole slow, sludgy, 'stoner' vibe to it, too. But, overall, it's a swell exhibition of entertaining southern rock-metal. How I wish Phil hadn't squandered his talents to copious booze, melancholy and slothful self-abuse. NOLA is an exemplar of what the guy's is/was capable of when he was inspired, committed--indeed, sober enough---to give us the best he's got to give.

I love NOLA. It's one of my favorite albums. To me, NOLA is similar to what Black Sabbath would have sounded like if they came from Birmingham, Alabama, instead of Birmingham, England. I liked Pantera, but wasn't a huge fan. I picked up NOLA on a whim and was blown away. Phil was in prime voice at the time; I think he sounds great. I wasn't as impressed with Down II. I feel it's a bit unfocused. Over The Under is better, IMHO, but nothing touches NOLA.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMF Jon View Post
    I can't stand to listen to it. Pretty much anything "sung" by Phil Anselmo gets trashed by me. It's the same reason I can't get into Pantera either. If both bands were pure instrumentalists I'd like it.

I've seen Pantera in concert twice (only because they were opening acts for Black Sabbath and Ozzy, respectively), and I was bored to tears. I like Dime all right, but it's too bad he was a part of what I feel to be crap bands from start to finish. RIP and all, but oh well.
    I agree with the assessment of Pantera. When the Down album came out a friend played it when I was at his place once. I actually thought it sounded decent. It has that Southern Vibe which there's very little of that I can tolerate. So I've never had the urge to listen to any of their music in depth. The little bits I've heard from subsequent albums didn't interest me whatsoever.

Phil had a Black Metal project with Satyr from Satyricon & Fenriz from Darkthrone called Eibon. They have a myspace under the name eibon666. It's good stuff I wish they'd continue with or without Phil.

I saw Down live and then bought the Nola. I had Down II & III. I really like how Phil & Rex were doing something different with there music like Stone the Crow & Temptations wings
    "Just remember love is life and hate is living death" - A National Acrobat

http://flummoxed.bandcamp.com/

Banned

I love the cd and Down.

Anselmo is great!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I saw Down live and then bought the Nola. I had Down II & III. I really like how Phil & Rex were doing something different with there music like Stone the Crow & Temptations wings
    Just an FYI...Rex wasn't involved with those songs. He didn't join Down until Down II.

I prefer the "Down 2" album... loved how they can play heavy songs like Dog Tired or something more near to jazz, like Lies, etc etc etc...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VikingChrist View Post
    Just an FYI...Rex wasn't involved with those songs. He didn't join Down until Down II.
    Doesn't change the fact that NOLA was still a great CD.

He wasn't, huh, well I probably said that only because I saw them live on the III tour & he was their bassplayer, my bad
    "Just remember love is life and hate is living death" - A National Acrobat

http://flummoxed.bandcamp.com/

Banned

I heard they was gonna re-record Down one with Rex.

I was like please do not fuck it up!

Quote Originally Posted by paul hill View Post

I think the plan was to remaster it and just have Rex re-record the bass lines, not have the band re-do the whole thing. Todd Strange is credited on the album but I've heard that Kirk Weinstein actually played all the bass parts and Todd was only added for live shows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that NOLA was still a great CD.
    You'll get no argument from me about that!

I think the plan was to remaster it and just have Rex re-record the bass lines, not have the band re-do the whole thing. Todd Strange is credited on the album but I've heard that Kirk Weinstein actually played all the bass parts and Todd was only added for live shows.
    Thats right, they are going to remaster it and let Rex re-record the bass lines, so it can't turn out that bad I think.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paul hill View Post

I think the album is fine as-is, though I wouldn't mind hearing Rex's take on those basslines.

Even if they do fuck it up, the old one still exists.

Well, it's been a while since I first started this thread and I'm still listening to NOLA. I like it enough that I plan to put Down II on my buylist for 2009.

#4 Rehab, #8 Jail, #10 Stone the Crow and #12 Swan Song are now among my favorites on the album.

I appreciate your comments.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Nola is one of my favorite albums of all time! I was introduced to Down with III and you could image when I went back to Nola I was in shock at the vocal performance.

Anyone listen to the EPs they have done? I really like EP 1 from 2012. Its very doom and less southern but it is definitely the best thing they have released since Nola. Still looking forward to the next 2 EPs but who knows if those will ever come out. Its supposed to be a 4 part thing.

Wow!! How fun to see an 11 year old post of mine resurface. 2008. What a trip!!

When Dio died in 2010 (gee whiz, even that was 9 1/2 years ago), his son Dan Padavona gave a speech at his memorial (yes, I was there in person), and in it he mentioned several bands that RJD also liked and appreciated, which included Down. I always have liked Down. More than Pantera.
    --Benjamin Franklin