Default ACCEPT: Heavy metal heroes to anybody else?

I don't recall seeing any separate thread on Accept in my 2+ years here, so far. So, today I just thought of making a very belated introduction of this true 'heavy metal' icon and a band that I remember enjoying hugely as a teenager, when I was myself first introduced to their swell music in the late'80s-mid-'90s.

Accept are another stellar bunch--in a long line---of quality German metallers. They both preceded AND had a significant impact on the emerging explosion of full-throttle thrash metal in the early '80s. But they weren't just about any ONE style, themselves. Heavy 'rock'-'metal', thrash, speed, power, melody, brutality, and an overt sexuality defined their sonic style and image.

This is a band that created, innovated and incorporated elements of traditional heavy metal with a sound and style that was highly aggressive, exciting, bold and ultimately just a whole lotta fun to rock out to.

Their s-t debut, sadly, isn't a great place to begin for a newbie checking them out for the first time. It isn't bad at all, but just obviously rather poor when compared to what came just after that. To fans of punk-rock, the Big Four of thrash, even power metal, and just creative, melodic metal that isn't remotely wussy, Accept has gotta be essential and worthy listening, no question.

For me, I'm hugely fond of their albums 2-5 i.e. I'm a Rebel ('80), Breaker ('81), Restless and Wild ('82) and Balls to the Wall ('83)....These four remain, in my eyes, Accept's absolute finest hours.

Weirdly enough, although I never thought of this band as too "extreme" by the standards of metal that is actually extreme, Accept was allegedly thought of as way too boisterous, with an over-the-top aggressive sound and too risque in.....America, of all places.

I don't know if label pressures or their suddenly stalling career with personal turmoil within that made them strip down their sound markedly after the albums I mentioned above because the next 2-3 albums Metal Heart, Russian Roulette, Eat the Heat were definitely a lot "tamer" 'commercial' albums aimed at more mainstream metal audiences. These were not 'bad' albums per se, but just pale in comparison to the first 4-5 runaway classics.

Then, they made a rebound of sorts in the '90s with a trio of moderately successful, good albums: Objection Overruled, Death Row and Predator. After whirlwind touring in the Americas and Asia in '97 and the last that I've heard of them is that, in the late '90s, lacking any further ambition to continue as a four or five-piece band that have always had a constantly changing personnel, finally decided to 'disband'.

Any admiring fans here? State your take anyway you wanna!
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-17-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Banned

I saw 'em at Donnington 84... they came on after Motley Crue & most of the crowd dozed off... They're okay... pretty workmanlike, bad lyrics (Second language excuse doesn't cut it) corny & funny... Just struck me as scorpions/priest wannabes but I must admit I didn't give 'em much of a chance.

Always liked their music, just as I did most German '80s metal bands. Unfortunately I never got to see them live, but I did meet them at a signing date in Cleveland on the Balls to the Wall tour. (Yes, my Balls to the Wall album is signed.) At least they seemed like a group of guys that were interested in pleasing their fans.
    Is it just me, or does somebody else believe it?
    I'm not alone, and I'm not afraid.
    There's just one thing to say, after all.

I liked their 81-83 period and also first comeback album back in 93.... U.D.O. is not bad either, but not so great

I havn't heard the band itself, but I heard so far two covers of there songs: Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart and I thought those where pretty awesome songs.
    Vic always says 'killing is my business, and business is good'.. He can play the symphony of destruction, after all the worlds needs a hero because the system has failed. Vic is on the killing road to Hangar 18, and he will Take No Prisioners on this holy wars.

Quote by Ray Rules

King tiger

Well, I can say that I like Accept, for me ," Restless and Wild album" is the best.
    Nice drumming in "Demons Night" and "Fast as a Shark"

Accept is one of those bands for me that bridged me over into the speed metal stuff back in 84. I remember my introduction to them was hearing Balls To The Wall. The vocals had a sort of Bon Scott ness in a roundabout way. And the Riff was good basic hard rock with a more metal type production. I noticed the LP in the bin at my local library & took it home. The album kicked my ass. I bought a copy shortly after & it was in my regular rotation for a good while. Turn Me On, & Loosers & Winners especially jumped out as a few of my main favz. Wolf Hoffman is actually a stunningly great lead guitarist. And really doesn't get enough credit as such.

Shortly after BTTW I found Restless & Wild at the same library (very cool public library. I found all the Sabbath from their debut - Mob Rules there), and this further solidified my enthusiasm for the band. They along with Priest, Maiden, Motorhead, Raven, Dio, Malmsteen, and a couple others started becoming my favorites when all the bands I got into in 81-83 started sounding more & more poppy, and less aggressive. It wasn't until a few years back that I heard any Pre- Restless & Wild Accept. And I'm not quite as into it as the 83 - 86 stuff.

I really like both Metal Heart, and Russian Roulette. They were slicker, more polished sounding albums. Those were produced by Dieter Dirks who was the man behind the console on all the Scorpions albums. Considering the rather tame sound of Hurricane it kind of makes sense. But the songs were still there. Up to The Limit, Livin For Tonite, Midnight Mover, Monsterman & Heaven Is Hell are all cool songs. Still heavy but melodic at the same time. Although RR was the last release I found worthwhile. By that point I was fully ensconced in the Big 4 thrash metal icons. But wasn't closed off to the true metal leanings of that Accept album. I didn't really enjoy the whole thing they had with the other singer in the late 80's early 90's. And I found U.D.O. a little generic the little bits I heard of it. Although I never heard too much from them.

Still I credit Accept for giving me cool stuff to listen to at a time when I had started ditching my L.A. favorites who were quickly watering their sounds down for more success.

Oh, yes, Udo and Co. were, and still are, big favourites of mine. I saw them at an outdoor festival in 1984 where they were second from bottom of the bill: Ratt, Accept, Night Ranger, Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne (Jake E Lee, Tommy Aldridge, Bob Daisley, Don Airey) and Triumph (headlining). They only played about half an hour, but I was there mostly to see them.

Germany was producing some outstanding HM in the '70's-'80's. Michael Schenker, Accept, Trance, Warlock (when they were still a band, and not Doro Pesch's solo vehicle), and, of course, the Scorpions, up until Love At First Sting (I didn't like that album, or much of what came after, at all, though I saw the tour - Bon Jovi supported! - and they were still excellent live). Humourous aside: since I speak German, my friends used to ask me how to pronounce the names of the members of these bands...

I first got Restless And Wild on cassette in late '83, when it got a U.S. release. I was hooked. Balls To The Wall was also brilliant. Metal Heart disappointed me in parts (it sounded like they were trying to go soft for U.S. radio), but I liked Russian Roulette. Let's just forget Eat The Heat, shall we?

I used to have a double-LP on yellow vinyl called Metal Masters, which was a repackaging of Breaker and I'm A Rebel. Good stuff! I also had Breaker on cassette and used to blast it regularly from my 1973 Mustang.

I also had Udo's first solo album, Animal House. It was like the Accept album that Accept were no longer making!

Unfortunately, I haven't heard Objection Overruled, Predator or Death Row. They're very hard to find in the U.S.; I'm not sure they ever got a U.S. release. I'm interested, though.

RLP - did they ever make it to Australia?

Also, the "risqueness" you mention here in the U.S., as I remember, was largely due to Balls To The Wall being misinterpreted as a gay album. I remember a lot of people thinking they were gay.
    He is not here. He has risen!

What metal fan can't love balls to the wall? Great classic album.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan28 View Post
    What metal fan can't love balls to the wall? Great classic album.

Right on the money, mate!..or so I'd definitely like to believe. Balls to the Wall is an awesomely in-your-face, out-for-blood, take-no-prisoners sort of immortal metal classic for metal fans of all types for all times.

Thanks everybody for pitching in with your personal thoughts and insights about this seriously cool band. To dev and DiosSword, I can only say that you both have eloquently touched upon a few thoughts that mirror mine, in many ways.

I know how Accept have been widely raved about as a stupendously entertaining live band, everywhere they have played. Sadly, I have only ever caught them live, just once, in Spain, in the late-'80s. Circumstances have always cruelly contrived to make me sorely miss out on their many terrific tours of Asia. I'm curiously not aware of them having ever toured Australia, or else how on earth could I not have known about it?... Heck, it's doubly painful to realize how they have come and performed in metal-mad Japan, more than once, and now that I've been living 2/3 of the last two years of my life here in Japan, Accept has not only been long disbanded, but would be nowhere near the top of their game even had they toured and performed here, TODAY. Their '05 reunion efforts were very haphazard and uneven. I was unable to catch them then, either. But I've sort of vicariously watched several of their live performances on videos and it's unmistakeable how Accept always played with a sense of conviction and pure, unalloyed joy that was at once infectious and inspirational to their legions of admiring fans.

Like I said, for me, Accept's large career catalogue seems like mostly good-to-great material, excepting 2-3 somewhat misfiring, lacklustre efforts that let me down for the reasons I mentioned earlier on. When all is said and done, though, I know I owe Accept a huge thank you for being such a vividly memorable and exciting 'gateway' for me into the terrific world of thrash/speed metal that I later (soon enough, actually) learnt to love and revel in, for years and years afterward. Wish them guys all the happiness they have never shied away from giving us fans, all these years........
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 11-21-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Banned

I certainly wasn't aware of them touring Oz when I was there... Then I found this in an interview with Udo...

Is there anywhere you haven't yet played live?
    Yes, there is one country where I would love to go. Australia. I have never been to Australia. We were very close with Accept, but we did not make it there.

Ok, that explains it explicitly!...Like I said earlier, I simply hadn't heard of Accept ever touring Oz, and I was pretty certain they hadn't or else I'd have definitely at least heard of it, even if I was away from home. And DiosSword's good question had me wondering all over again. Thanks dmc for the helpful input.

Like many here in this thread, Accept was one of my favorite bands in the mid-late '80s. I ranked them as high as Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden and Mercyful Fate as my favorite bands of the time. I really began to get into them with the live Kaizoku-Ban ep. Even though I already owned a copy of Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart, I only listened to the title tracks once in a while. That live ep made me dig deeper into those albums. And that's when I realised how amazing they really were. I had to get everything I could after that!

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    For me, I'm hugely fond of their albums 2-5 i.e. I'm a Rebel ('80), Breaker ('81), Restless and Wild ('82) and Balls to the Wall ('83)....These four remain, in my eyes, Accept's absolute finest hours.
    I somewhat agree, but personally, I would include Metal Heart and Russian Roulette, and ditch I'm a Rebel. Don't get me wrong, I like that album, and even appreciate the first s/t one for what it is. But they clearly are different from their golden sound. They really lack the punch, speed and heavyness of what would follow.

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    I used to have a double-LP on yellow vinyl called Metal Masters, which was a repackaging of Breaker and I'm A Rebel..
    I still have mine!...but on black vinyl. on the Razor label. Even though I had already bought I'm a Rebel, it was the only way I could get Breaker at the time. The first three were never released domestically in Canada.

I also had Udo's first solo album, Animal House. It was like the Accept album that Accept were no longer making!
    That's because it was an Accept album!...played by another band! All the songs on it are credited to Accept and Deaffy, which was the same team responsible for the previous Accept albums. Animal House was written and Udo really liked it, but the rest of the band wanted to go for an even more commercial sound than Russian Roulette and Metal Heart, so they let UDO, the band, record it. btw, Deaffy is Wolf Hoffman's wife! They had her write the lyrics 'cos she was the best one they knew that could write well in english. And since the metal crowd was pretty macho back then, they thought that if people knew it was a girl writing those songs, they would be taken less seriously!

Also, the "risqueness" you mention here in the U.S., as I remember, was largely due to Balls To The Wall being misinterpreted as a gay album. I remember a lot of people thinking they were gay.
    I never gave much thought to that until recently. But now knowing it was a girl writing songs about London Leatherboys, it can be viewed in a different way. But they still agreed to sing it, as well as borderline homo-anthems like Lady Lou and Take him in my Heart! The lyrics to Balls to the Wall of course have nothing to do with the gay lifestyle, but the album cover art gave that impression.

They're about the only band I really love that I've never seen live. I missed them when they came here in'84 opening for somebody else (I forget who) and they NEVER came back!

Heavy metal heroes since late 1997 when I discovered them at my friend's. Got to see them live at the annual Tuska Open Air Metal Festival back in 2005...Pains me that no live DVD has been released of any of the 2005 shows...

Personal discography

Breaker 1981 ****

Restless And Wild 1982 ****

Balls To The Wall 1983 *****

Metal Heart 1985 *****

Staying A Life 1985 *****

Russian Roulette 1986 ***

Objection Overruled 1993 ****

Deathrow 1994 ****

Predator 1996 ***

Sabbathman, it's cool how you pretty much have everything by Accept, anyway. Only the s-t debut is missing from you presonal collection. Are those asterisks beside the albums, your personal rankings??..I gotta say how Metal Heart is easily my 'worst', or least-liked Accept album, so far. Russian Roulette is not far behind that. Other than that, I pretty much love 'em all.

I can only completely agree with your sentiments about the huge let-down and unfairness of it all for us fans, of not having an actual proper, quality full-length DVD of those very entertaining, impressive '05 shows. And now, since the band is officially and quite practically disbanded, there's gonna be no second coming of watching Accept LIVE, let alone have a dvd of it.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Great band, saw them with Iron Maiden. Udo has a great and unique voice. I like Restless and Wild best.

They were a good band, just nothing they ever did grabbed me. They seemed far too predictable to me, but still a talented group of musicians.

I wouldn't call them heroes to me, but I used to really like them.

Although Balls to the Wall was the first song I heard and Balls to the Wall was the first album of theirs I bought, Metal Heart was the album that really did it for me. The guitar solos were GREAT!!!

Then Russian Roulette came out, and that left me cold outside of Monsterman, so I started buying the earlier albums. The songs that I enjoyed were Princess of the Dawn , Fast as a Shark, and I'm a Rebel.

Later on I actually bought Eat the Heat, and despite Udo not being there, I did like D Train. That's the only song on it I liked, though.

Haven't listened to them much in the last decade, however.

Banned

one of the best metal bands from the 80's (i know their first album is from 70's but everyone thinks of them as 80's metal band). easily top 3 metal bands of 80's

I'm German - so no doubt about Accept being a Metal Legend. I like their precise and heavy riffs that hit you straight into the nu.. Singer Udo Dirkschneider still does great albums with his own band named "U.D.O.". They took the heavier parts of Accept and still keep on rockin'.

Good old Hard Rock made in Germany. That's how it sounds like. I think I have to listen to "Fast as a shark" now. What a killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I'm German - so no doubt about Accept being a Metal Legend. I like their precise and heavy riffs that hit you straight into the nu.. Singer Udo Dirkschneider still does great albums with his own band named "U.D.O.". They took the heavier parts of Accept and still keep on rockin'.

Good old Hard Rock made in Germany. That's how it sounds like. I think I have to listen to "Fast as a shark" now. What a killer!
    I'm not German, but am German-descended (Rhineland, Alsace and Swiss-German, actually) and speak the language well enough to get by.

For many years, DEUTSCHLAND was indeed the centre of the heavy metal world:

• Accept (of course!)
    • U.D.O.
    • Scorpions
    • Michael Schenker
    • Trance
    • Grave Digger
    • Ulrich Roth

So many excellent guitarists came out of Germany - the Schenker brothers, Ulrich Roth, Joerg Fischer, Wolf Hoffmann, Matthias Jabs, Hermann Frank...

Rock 'N Roll may have been born here in America but Germany helped perfect it.

I didn't know that Udo still had his U.D.O. band together. I used to have the Animal House album.

I have Restless And Wild, Balls To The Wall and Metal Heart. The other albums are very hard to find here except on import. I want to add Breaker, Russian Roulette, Objection Overruled, Predator and Death Row to my collection, but they're very expensive here.

I was fortunate enough to see both Accept and Scorpions live back in the '80s.

Hey man, cool thing you speak German. All the dudes and band you mentioned are still in business in Germany (well, don't know about Trance, but the others are still rockin').

Yeah, U.D.O. ist still alive. The Band releases new albums every 2 years. Udo's Guitar Player ist Stefan Kaufmann, the former Accept - Drummer who had to stop drumming because of health problems. They both are very much into this Metal - based riffing and still rock hard. The last Album "Mastercutor" was released back in 2007, last year there was a live Double - CD called "Mastercutor alive" and a DVD. At the moment, they're in the Studio to work on a new album.

This is U.D.O.s backing catalogue:

Animal house 1987
    Meanmachine 1989
    Faceless world 1990
    Timebomb 1991
    Solid 1997
    No Limits 1998
    Holy 1999
    Man and Machine 2001
    Thunderball 2004
    Mission No. X 2005
    Mastercutor 2007
    Metallized - The Best of 2007

Oh you lucky guy saw Accept and Scorpions when they had their great days. Must have been nice. The Scorpions still are a great band and do albums, but I have th impression that they become more and more famous in Asia. It's a shame that German Music Fans don't care about them, they are more popular outside their homecountry.

Yes, Uli John Roth is a great guitar player, my father's hero. But I must say that his solo works are not my favourites. His style is very different.

Oh and Michael Schenker now became a drunken bastard...what a shame.

What do you think about other German Bands like Edguy or the Avantasia - Project for example? Are they known in the U.S.?
    Program the brain not the heartbeat

Accept are legends, end of story. Just listen to Staying a Life (Live)..

Even the album they did with another singer, American David Reece - god could that guy sing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
    Accept are legends, end of story. Just listen to Staying a Life (Live)..

Even the album they did with another singer, American David Reece - god could that guy sing, too.
    I never heard Staying A Life, but I did have Kaizoku-Ban on cassette.

There was horrible hostility toward David Reece, undeserved I felt, the guy certainly gave it a try, but Udo's growl was so much a part of Accept that anyone trying to slot into his position was going to catch flak.

If Reece would have sang with almost any other band, I think he would have been more appreciated. Like Judas Priest when Halford left (and I like Ripper Owens)...I remember reading a review of Eat The Heat that said it was "the best Judas Priest album Malice never made."

Reece was invited to audition for Priest but I guess he turned it down, because he didnt want to go into another band as a 'replacement' again.

Staying A Life is just simply a powerful live album by Accept in their prime. Some of the songs on the live album are better than the studio recordings of those songs.

Look on youtube for 'Accept metal heart live' 1985

My favourite 80's Metal Band . Wolf Hoffman is the most underrated guitar player of all times! Breaker, Restless & Wild, Balls To The Wall, Metal Heart, Russian Roulette, Eat the Heat and Objection Overruled are masterpieces IMHO. I love David Reeces voice ...one of the best voices in hard rock and hugely underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by rideon77 View Post
    My favourite 80's Metal Band . Wolf Hoffman is the most underrated guitar player of all times! Breaker, Restless & Wild, Balls To The Wall, Metal Heart, Russian Roulette, Eat the Heat and Objection Overruled are masterpieces IMHO. I love David Reeces voice ...one of the best voices in hard rock and hugely underrated.
    Did anything ever come of Reece after his ill-fated Accept stint?

Joerg Fischer was no slouch either, but since quite a few Accept albums were recorded with only Wolf Hoffmann playing guitar, he's kind of shoved in the background. The same with Hermann Frank Jnr - I don't think he's actually on any Accept studio recording.