Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Song for Jim

Default Song for Jim

So I was doing some listening the other day and stumbled, once again upon A Song for Jim. After really listening to it a few times, it rang a bell. The guitar riff is the same as the verse melody in The Hollies song Bus Stop. After remembering reading somewhere that the early Earth demos were given to the band by Jim Simpson to be covers of early 60's songs, I began to wonder if A Song for Jim is nothing more than a jazzed-up version of Bus Stop....

Were you listening to the clip of A Song for Jim from The Black Sabbath Story: Vol 1 or do you some how have a longer version of that song?

Yeah, I was under the impression that this song was unreleased, except for a small portion that exists on The Black Sabbath Story: Vol 1. If you do have a copy, can you please explain how you got it? As far as I know the only one to exist is in the hands of their old manager Jim Simpson.

Yes, and if you do have a longer version, please share it with us!

I'd love to hear this song in it's entirety, I love the Earth demos.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Am I the only guy on this forum who wants to hear A Song For Jim?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Its just a cover

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYIRONMAN View Post
    Its just a cover
    So was Evil Woman and Warning, I still want to hear it. Have you heard it?

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    So was Evil Woman and Warning, I still want to hear it. Have you heard it?
    Just the snippet from the black sabbath story vol 1

Just the snippet from the black sabbath story vol 1
    If it's a cover, where is the original?

Never mind I was wrong

Am I the only guy on this forum who wants to hear A Song For Jim?
    I think doc has this song

Never mind I was wrong
    I didn't think A Song For Jim was a cover, the band wrote that song for Jim Simpson, their manager.

The rebel is a much more interesting song.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSterlingSound

Super animation, turning on a nation
    And they’re saying all moving parts stand still

I have it -I was pleased as punch to finally hear the whole thing (after only knowing the bit in Story Vol 1)...though the snippet they played in that is the best part of the song.

The Rebel, Thomas Jam(es?), Early One Morning Blues and When I Came Down.

Besides "The Rebel" ,When I Came Down impressed me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling#sound View Post
    The rebel is a much more interesting song.
    So you've heard it in it's entirety?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels Of Confusion View Post
    I have it -I was pleased as punch to finally hear the whole thing (after only knowing the bit in Story Vol 1)...though the snippet they played in that is the best part of the song.

I'd love to hear A Song For Jim, I want this song so bad.

I love all the Earth demos, I have all the above listed except A Song For Jim, the snippet from Vol. 1 is great.

You have "Song for Jim"? Or did you mean "The Rebel"?
    The version of "When I Came Down" that most have is a looped version of a short clip that was released on the internet and later appeared on a bootleg. Someone looped it after that.
    I don't believe "Thomas James" is actually Sabbath, rather it's been attributed to them.
    "Early One Morning Blues", again, is a sample, this time a sample from the famous Dumfries bootleg that Ozzy and Sharon now own the copyright to. I believe it's the full song though.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    You have "Song for Jim"? Or did you mean "The Rebel"?
    Yeah I'm also curious about this. Didn't think anyone had heard this one except maybe the live version on the Dumfries show which got snatched up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by princehollow View Post
    Yeah I'm also curious about this. Didn't think anyone had heard this one except maybe the live version on the Dumfries show which got snatched up anyway.
    This is the one song I've been wanting to hear since I first heard about it years ago, I love the Earth demos.

Quote Originally Posted by Foul Stench View Post
    [purist]I don't consider anything after the 1969 demos to be Sabbath.[/purist]

Quote Originally Posted by Foul Stench View Post
    [purist]I don't consider anything after the 1969 demos to be Sabbath.[/purist]
    Haha. Nicely played men.
    Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, funny clothes, tinkling bell.

PatrickCrissman

These are some great choices...i would take these rather than Jim.

Soria Moria, Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickCrissman View Post
    These are some great choices...i would take these rather than Jim.
    Maybe you should just go play The Cricket?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til árs ok friðar ok forn siðr

Will A Song For Jim with lyrics that Jim Simpson has locked away in his vault, ever be released?

Why would Simpson not release this? He’d make millions!

Will A Song For Jim with lyrics that Jim Simpson has locked away in his vault, ever be released?

Why would Simpson not release this? He’d make millions!
    Even if he has the rights, any element of the band/their managers that might not want it out (for whatever reason) could likely easily veto it as soon as it became an idea, if they so chose.

Banned

The only allegedly complete copies in wider circulation that I have heard of When I Came Down were in fact the ~50 sec snippet repeated a few times. I think Thomas James was some kind of fake, right? And Early One Morning was one song from Dumfries 1969 live (now luckily we have much more songs from that gig). If you happen to have a true complete copy of Song for Jim or When I Came Down, you know which people would be interested to hear it! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    Even if he has the rights, any element of the band/their managers that might not want it out (for whatever reason) could likely easily veto it as soon as it became an idea, if they so chose.
    Thanks Sweet, didn’t know that.

Does anyone besides Jim have a copy or has anyone ever heard the version with lyrics?

I’ve tried searching the lyrics online but to no avail.

This Song was of most interest to me when I first heard the snippet on Black Sabbath The Story Vol. 1

Thanks Sweet, didn’t know that.

Does anyone besides Jim have a copy or has anyone ever heard the version with lyrics?

I’ve tried searching the lyrics online but to no avail.

This Song was of most interest to me when I first heard the snippet on Black Sabbath The Story Vol. 1
    One of the best moments on these boards was when we got the live version in your hands .... So deserving!

The studio version with and without lyrics is a treasure indeed , I'm sure! .... and both clock in , I believe , at just over 3 minutes ....

Jim has both , others do not.

Hope that helps OID ,,, Merry CHRISTmas and God Bless

^^ What about when I came down?
    Joe D still have, do you have it yet Doc
    The Wizard or Sign of the sorcerer from that same acetate you already got your hands on \m/

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    One of the best moments on these boards was when we got the live version in your hands .... So deserving!

The studio version with and without lyrics is a treasure indeed , I'm sure! .... and both clock in , I believe , at just over 3 minutes ....

Jim has both , others do not.

Hope that helps OID ,,, Merry CHRISTmas and God Bless
    I was very excited when I got it, both from you and Sweet. I was very happy that day to finally get to hear Dumfries and A Song For Jim and all the others on there.

I guess we’ll never hear the Studio version.

it helps thank you, a Very Merry Christmas to you and yours Doc.

Soria Moria, Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

I guess we’ll never hear the Studio version.
    Have faith, my friend. When Ozzy's dead and Sharon wanna keep cashing in, we'll get it. Sorry for having such a morbid view, but am i totally wrong?
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til árs ok friðar ok forn siðr

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Underdog View Post
    Have faith, my friend. When Ozzy's dead and Sharon wanna keep cashing in, we'll get it. Sorry for having such a morbid view, but am i totally wrong?
    I don’t think you’re wrong Billy, Sharon did miss out on cashing in on Dumfries though, someone beat her to it and leaked it online, she had the rights to it.

I’m surprised we never heard anything ever again regarding this leak and Sharon trying to lawsuit someone.

I like When i came down,great song. Im not so fond of a Song for Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
    I like When i came down,great song. Im not so fond of a Song for Jim.
    I love them all Kennyz.

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    ^^ What about when I came down?
    Joe D still have, do you have it yet Doc
    The Wizard or Sign of the sorcerer from that same acetate you already got your hands on \m/
    I'd love to someday hear all of these unreleased versions, The Wizard I got to hear a snippet Doc was kind enough to leave recorded on my phone very dark indeed.

I'd love to someday hear all of these unreleased versions, The Wizard I got to hear a snippet Doc was kind enough to leave recorded on my phone very dark indeed.
    Missed the hell out of you bud! So glad your back! We were once the dynamic duo
    You lucky dog!
    I think only You, the Doc, Roller Joint, Joe D, Jim Simpson, Tony, Ozzy, Bill and Geezer have heard any part of the original

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    Missed the hell out of you bud! So glad your back! We were once the dynamic duo
    You lucky dog!
    I think only You, the Doc, Roller Joint, Joe D, Jim Simpson, Tony, Ozzy, Bill and Geezer have heard any part of the original
    Thank you Ronn, it's good to be back.

Dark and evil sounding that snippet was, nothing like what we got on the release.

Doc if I may ask, how do you know about this Song For Jim w/Lyrics?

I’ve been searching everywhere and can’t find anything on it, but I know I’ve either read about it or heard it from Jim Simpson on an interview.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Doc if I may ask, how do you know about this Song For Jim w/Lyrics?

I’ve been searching everywhere and can’t find anything on it, but I know I’ve either read about it or heard it from Jim Simpson on an interview.

Thank you for your help in advance.
    My ears have heard both versions ,, technically 3 versions ..... just as there is over 7 versions of "The Rebel" - multiple versions of "Song For Jim" exist (4 if you include the flute version you own already) ....... the great thing that separates "SFJ" from all the other early tracks (Rebel , WICD , etc ..) , it's not a Sabbath made cover tune ,, it's pure Sab!

Just over 3 minutes , the instrumental and vocal versions are identical (besides the "ghost" lyrics that are rather good!) - think Tull meets a happy "Sleeping Village" ,, the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.

God Bless
    Last edited by BACK TO EDEN; 12-27-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Hope that helps ......

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    My ears have heard both versions ,, technically 3 versions ..... just as there is over 7 versions of "The Rebel" - multiple versions of "Song For Jim" exist (4 if you include the flute version you own already) ....... the great thing that separates "SFJ" from all the other early tracks (Rebel , WICD , etc ..) , it's not a Sabbath made cover tune ,, it's pure Sab!

Just over 3 minutes , the instrumental and vocal versions are identical (besides the "ghost" lyrics that are rather good!) - think Tull meets a happy "Sleeping Village" ,, the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.

God Bless
    Great stuff and yes I agree, A Song For Jim, is more special because it's a genuine Sabbath song and not a cover, I love the beat to it.

By ghost lyrics you mean improvisation, right? Where he makes the lyrics up as he goes along, like on the alternate Paranoid song on the Deluxe Edition.

I know I heard an interview, googled Jim Simpson allover the net and to no avail, I know I heard Jim say he had A Song For Jim in his vault.

This A Song For Jim has always fascinated me as has any early Sabbath material that hasn't surfaced or never been heard.

Good to hear that there are three versions of this and that one might see the light of day, hopefully it will.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this.