Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Song for Jim

Found this excerpt regarding A Song For Jim, it mentions a version with lyrics:
    3. Song for Jim w/flute and drum solo (This starts off the second set. It's an instrumental version of "Song for Jim" with Iommi doing a wonderful flute solo, and Bill's drum solo is also fantastic and unique; According to a trusted source whose been correct on several occasions, there is a recorded version of "Song for Jim" with vocals, presumably on the five-song "For Jim" demo, which Jim Simpson and the band have.)
    Here is the entire link to the page I just found:

http://www.blacksabbathlyrics.net/Sabbathystuff.htm

Our very own Etrader is mentioned on here.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 12-28-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Another excerpt:

The band starts playing a lot more small clubs and gaining popularity. A man by the name of Jim Simpson steps in and becomes the bands new manager. Jim had the band record a special demo album, just for him named "For Jim". This album contains 5 songs, consisting of the only jazz session ever recorded by Black Sabbath. It features Tony Iommi playing with the style of Wes Montgomery and Bill Ward backing him up with bebop drums. Two of the songs on this album were named "A Song For Jim" and "The Rebel". Short samples of them can be heard on a video released in the early 90's called "The Black Sabbath Story, Vol 1".
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Quote Originally Posted by BACK TO EDEN View Post
    ...the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.
    I'd love to find out the context within which that 3rd version will be released.

Ted

Just over 3 minutes , the instrumental and vocal versions are identical (besides the "ghost" lyrics that are rather good!) - think Tull meets a happy "Sleeping Village" ,, the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.
    Thanks Doc for the details...!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post
    I'd love to find out the context within which that 3rd version will be released.

Ted
    Whatever the context I hope it gets released.

My ears have heard both versions ,, technically 3 versions ..... just as there is over 7 versions of "The Rebel" - multiple versions of "Song For Jim" exist (4 if you include the flute version you own already) ....... the great thing that separates "SFJ" from all the other early tracks (Rebel , WICD , etc ..) , it's not a Sabbath made cover tune ,, it's pure Sab!

Just over 3 minutes , the instrumental and vocal versions are identical (besides the "ghost" lyrics that are rather good!) - think Tull meets a happy "Sleeping Village" ,, the 3rd version (we hear a sample of from those old VHS's) is just over a minute an 10 seconds long (no lyrics) ,, and I do believe this 3rd version (more of an intro / outro track) WILL see the light of day.

God Bless
    Doc what version came first?
    lyrics or no lyrics

Why don't they or Jim just release it

Quote Originally Posted by ronn View Post
    Doc what version came first?
    lyrics or no lyrics

Why don't they or Jim just release it
    From my understanding , almost certain .... they (the band as a whole) don't have "Song for Jim" - The original title and track ,,, and tho the lyrical version came second , I believe it to be scratched in favor of the instrumental version - consequently was scratched itself for the more intro/outro version called "A Song for Jim" we hear on "Dumfries 69" (tho extended) and VHS "Volume One" (tho shortened).

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sallis View Post

Ted
    I would believe myself , that it will end up on a compilation or rarities anniversary set - something special , with enough other components to give it a hefty price tag , being worth it for "A Song For Jim" alone.

God Bless

From my understanding , almost certain .... they (the band as a whole) don't have "Song for Jim" - The original title and track ,,, and tho the lyrical version came second , I believe it to be scratched in favor of the instrumental version - consequently was scratched itself for the more intro/outro version called "A Song for Jim" we hear on "Dumfries 69" (tho extended) and VHS "Volume One" (tho shortened).

I would believe myself , that it will end up on a compilation or rarities anniversary set - something special , with enough other components to give it a hefty price tag , being worth it for "A Song For Jim" alone.

God Bless
    Thanks for your reply. OID posted an excerpt (top of page) at the end of which is stated, "...the five-song "For Jim" demo, which Jim Simpson and the band have." Of course it would be beyond awesome if the entire demo was released, but I'm not expecting that to happen. Hopefully though The Rebel will also be included in the rarities compilation if/when it is released.

Ted