Thread: I Am Ozzy!

Default I Am Ozzy!

Ozzy's new autobiography just came out. I received it yesterday (ironically alongside the new Wizard of Oz blu-ray set -- 2 Oz's in one day!)

I'm only at the start of the 3d chapter, but it's great!

I'll be honest. I wasn't expecting much. I've read every biography on Ozzy and Sabbath, and tons of interviews over the years, and was basically expecting more of the same, especially given Ozzy's admittedly spotty recall. But I'm glad to say I was wrong.

This book is loaded with new information you've not heard anywhere else, plus more detailed accounts of what you have heard, with 1st hand reactions to such things. Ozzy admits that a biographer helped him in terms of doing a lot of research and asking the right questions, and it paid off. There's just a ton of stuff here. It's also good to see Ozzy set the record straight on things, even things he admits he wasn't truthful about in the past: The Black Panthers (never existed); Iommi beating him up in school (never happened).

And there are little things too that I'm grateful to see. I always felt that in interviews, when Ozzy was railing against flower-power (a protest movement of the late 60's), he was actually railing against the pop-song "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair)". Ozzy used to quote a portion of that song, which is what led me to think he was conflating things. Well, turns out I was right. And it explains why he could say "Black Sabbath was the last hippy band. We were about peace" and yet go on about how he hated one aspect of the hippy peace movement. He didn't. What he hated were songs about bringing flowers to Haight-Ashbury and others like it that spoke of peace and love as if they already existed in the world. It grated on Ozzy's nerves because he felt it was utterly false to say that. I do think "San Francisco's" a beautiful song, but I get Ozzy's point.

Overall, though, it's a well-written book that's got a lot of tragic and funny moments, clarifications and a proper explanation of certain things. About a third of the book is about Ozzy's time in Sabbath. Haven't gotten to the meat of that yet, but am very looking forward to it.
    Last edited by thesithempire; 10-02-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Let the anti-Ozzy tirade begin.

one third of the book, 90% of his best musical output. But OK, it's only a bit more than a decade of his rather longer career. Should be an interesting read!

From Walsall, near Birmingham, UK. Now live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I too have read many, if not most Ozzy/Sabbath books, and after reading your review, I'm gonna go buy it. Didn't realise it was out to be honest. Gives me something to read in the bath. heh. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by J Hillenburg View Post
    I heard ozzy read this book the other day. He had to use the teleprompter he uses to remember lyrics.
    Last edited by fishtowner; 10-03-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtowner View Post
    I heard ozzy read this book the other day. He had to use the teleprompter he uses to remember lyrics.
    Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

So, sith, the autobiography is titled 'I Am Ozzy!'?? Anyway, I'd be keen to buy it soon, and read it through, at leisure. I haven't read too many, (or in full, anyway) creditable Ozzy/Sabbath books, and reading your comments here, sith, I feel this may very well be worth the price and my time.

Quote Originally Posted by J Hillenburg
    Aha, then you can bet that I'd get my anti-(anti-Ozzy tirade) cruise missiles ready for retaliatory strikes. And I can't guarantee no collateral damage.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtowner
    Considering just how many (among Sabbath's countless fans) semi-literate, self-righteous sods with abysmal attention spans, are out there, maybe they'd all need to be put in a straitjacket to somehow force them to pay attention to a single coherent paragraph off any book---much less Ozzy's latest autobiography. So, I can cut Ozzy some slack about whatever way he wants to relay a few passages off his book, to the 'fans', anywhere.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 10-03-2009 at 05:25 AM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Once someone finishes the book, please let the rest of us know if he goes into some of the more controversial stuff like the dispute with Kerslake and Daisley over royalties, how he ACTUALLY felt about Black Sabbath in the 80's, and stuff like that. If it's a frank, brutally honest autobiography, I will definitely get it. If it's just the Ozzman stroking his ego with the help of some yes man ghost writer, then I think I'll pass

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
    ........ if he goes into some of the more controversial stuff like the dispute with Kerslake and Daisley over royalties .......
    Oh I can't wait for the Daisley book. Next March apparently.

Ozzy speaks frankly about the issues with Bob and Lee. I don't want to paraphrase, but in summation he believes Bob and Lee KNEW the project was an Ozzy Osbourne solo one, not a Blizzard of Ozz band, as they claim. He discusses Sharon's frustration with them and their lawsuits leading to her re-recording his first two albums with other musicians. He admits he isn't comfortable with it, but understands the anger that led to her decision.

One thing I appreciated is Ozzy's frank discussion of his mistreatment of animals. This is something he comes right out and says is one of the few things in his life he deeply regrets. He doesn't let himself off the hook either, and says there's "no excuse" for cruelty. Besides this regret, his others are his unkind treatment of Thelma and Sharon, and the fact that he missed out on his kids' lives because of his alcoholism.

Unquestionably, the book's a page-turner. I'd have liked more on his Sabbath days, of course, but that easily could be a book unto itself. Hopefully, Tony's autobiography will add additional recollections to this unique period.

I look forward to mine arriving maybe Tuesday. Nice one.

I heard an interview with Ozzy on BBC Radio 4's Front Row programme last week. It's an early evening arts show - should still be available through the 'Listen Again' function. It was entertaining, though Ozzy's speech has deteriorated, and his explanation for this was surprising, at least to me. It's the consequence of an inherited Parkinson-type disorder, and some of his siblings have it too. So, not the drugs, or not wholly. Although I have several friends from the Land of Brum, so I'm used to the accent, it was quite hard to make out everything he said. Then again, I'm going deaf from listening to this music for decades...

I hope Tony gets his own autobiog finished soon. He seems to keep finding a lot of other things to do! They're two such contrasting characters that it would be great to compare their thoughts on their lives and careers. Tony is such a private guy though, and a complex one, that he may feel he still has to keep a lot under wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by thesithempire View Post
    I don't want to paraphrase, but in summation he believes Bob and Lee KNEW the project was an Ozzy Osbourne solo one, not a Blizzard of Ozz band, as they claim. He discusses Sharon's frustration with them and their lawsuits leading to her re-recording his first two albums with other musicians. He admits he isn't comfortable with it, but understands the anger that led to her decision.
    In addition to being a big Ozzy fan back when Blizzard was first released, I was also an avid reader of magazines like Circus, Creem, Hit Parader, etc. If that's true, that there was no band Blizzard of Ozz, then Ozzy's people did a very poor job clearing up what was widely, and if you believe Ozzy now, erroneously reported.

I'll be interested to see (and eventually read) what Ozzy says about the reunion and perhaps his post reunion dealings with Iommi. TSE, without ruining your own read, any idea what the last time period detailed in the book is?

Didn't know about this book but it sounds very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules Mob View Post
    In addition to being a big Ozzy fan back when Blizzard was first released, I was also an avid reader of magazines like Circus, Creem, Hit Parader, etc. If that's true, that there was no band Blizzard of Ozz, then Ozzy's people did a very poor job clearing up what was widely, and if you believe Ozzy now, erroneously reported.

I'll be interested to see (and eventually read) what Ozzy says about the reunion and perhaps his post reunion dealings with Iommi. TSE, without ruining your own read, any idea what the last time period detailed in the book is?
    Just had a quick skip through it. He does briefly mention the 'dispute' about the name Black Sabbath. And also mentions Michael Jackson as if he hadn't died yet. So I'd say the book was finished in the Spring of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconosphere View Post
    Just had a quick skip through it. He does briefly mention the 'dispute' about the name Black Sabbath. And also mentions Michael Jackson as if he hadn't died yet. So I'd say the book was finished in the Spring of this year.
    Thank you sir.

Well I've just read that he did his O-Z-Z-Y tattoo in Sutton Park. I never knew that!! I go down Sutton Park loads!! I always thought he did THAT tattoo in prison.

(Just as a side note, Sutton Park is also where King Henry VIII used to hunt wild boar).

Ya learn something new everyday. Heh.

Well I've just read that he did his O-Z-Z-Y tattoo in Sutton Park. I never knew that!! I go down Sutton Park loads!! I always thought he did THAT tattoo in prison.
    Actually, so did I, but mainly because by every book written until now always said he had it done in prison, such as in "Diary of a Madman" in 1985, a book to which he heavily participated. Was he mistaken then or is he now ? Or maybe he did the "OZZY" one in Sutton Park and the smiling faces on his knees in prison ? Anyway, I sometimes have the feeling Ozzy's life's a mystery, especially for him... That's unfortunate, because that's quite a life he's had ! I still might order this book. It seems to be an interesting read
    Last edited by Gardener; 10-13-2009 at 12:18 AM.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

I always though the smile's on his knee's were done in Prison as it was a way Ozzy cheered himself up... Not sure If I ever read about his knuckle tatts though, must get that book soon

Well so far, I've got through the first chapter. And yes I know he had someone help him write it, but he goes into a lot of detail with certain stuff. Especially as a child and teenager. If I'm honest, I'm not sure I could remember that much about my OWN childhood. But his early stories seem so sincere. And the way it's written, I'm going along with everything so far. And I can imagine him telling them as I read em. I take it a dictaphone was used or something.

It may be a little easier for me to relate to some of his stories as I'm from the same place. I know of the streets he talks about. There's a certain vibe that I get from his words which make sense to me. His sense of humour is so typical of the people around here.

It's funny cos my dad was a toolmaker too. I left school with nothing. And all I was ever gonna do was work in a factory. Thankfully I got out too. heh. He found The Beatles. I found Black Sabbath. I didn't quite make it though. lol.

Sutton Park is a big municipal park. The biggest of it's kind in Europe I believe. But I'd love to find the spot where he did his tattoo. It's weird cos Sutton Park has fascinated me over the past few years. The history of it. There is a Roman road that passes through it too. This is just another little bit of history to add to it for me.

Anyway, I do go on. lol. Shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oh I can't wait for the Daisley book. Next March apparently.
    If that happens, I will buy it.

Just ordered it yesterday,can't wait to read what the Oz has to say about his life.From what I've heard he is pretty much honest in what he tells.
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Heres a couple of pics from the Birmingham booksigning last month.
    Enjoyed the book, read it twice through now, sadly he skips through certain periods pretty quickly but his early sabs career and early solo career is quite in depth.
    He's doing another booksigning in Manchester next Friday if anyones interested.
    Its worth the wait if anyone wants to meet him, but its a bloody long day, waiting for hours to say hello and maybe get a quick handshake, I'm glad I went though.

Last edited by Fozzy; 11-27-2009 at 03:24 PM.

I'm curious to know when those who are reading come across it, but who's father made the 4 crosses they wore back in the day, (and Tony & Ozzy still where)... I believe the dispute was who's dad, Bill's or Ozzy's...? I always thought that was wicked cool that they all wore "the cross" a sign of solidarity and brotherhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    I'm curious to know when those who are reading come across it, but who's father made the 4 crosses they wore back in the day, (and Tony & Ozzy still where)... I believe the dispute was who's dad, Bill's or Ozzy's...? I always thought that was wicked cool that they all wore "the cross" a sign of solidarity and brotherhood.
    The only story I ever heard was that Ozzy's father made them.

However, years ago I read a story that also said Ozzy used to wear the cross-shaped handle off a water tap round his neck!

Is this book available in the U.S.? I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday and didn't see it. If not the U.S., how about Canada (there are good bookshops a border crossing and about an hour's drive from me)?
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    The only story I ever heard was that Ozzy's father made them.

However, years ago I read a story that also said Ozzy used to wear the cross-shaped handle off a water tap round his neck!

Is this book available in the U.S.? I was in Barnes & Noble yesterday and didn't see it. If not the U.S., how about Canada (there are good bookshops a border crossing and about an hour's drive from me)?
    It is Ozzy' dad who made the crosses for the band,one morning Ozzy's dad returned from the factory he was working and gave this cross to him,when he showed up to rehearsals everyone wanted one so he made his father do 3 more and gave 'em to the others.

And the story of the water tap is also true,Ozzy wore that for awhile.

I ordered the book through amazon on the net and paid 28$ dollars with shipping and all,not bad.
    Last edited by Purgatory; 11-28-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Got the book for xmas and finished it a couple of days ago.

Interesting that Ozzy does not consider Black Sabbath a Heavy Metal band as I completely agree with this.

They may have spawned HM, but the first 8 LPs at least are not HM. Heavy Blues with a Jazz influence.

The book is hilarious. It's very funny, albeit it mostly deals with Ozzy's drug and alcohol addiction. The man really must have been pissed half his life. I wonder how Randy Rhoads was able to endure that shit.

This has some fascinating info on the formation of Earth/Black Sabbath. Some really cool stories, like Bill and Ozzys campervan tours with Bills brother in law. Some often quite personnal material regarding Ozzys family as well.

Looking forward to Tony's autobiography to see his aspect of growing up in bomb devastated Birmingham post WWII.

My favourite bit was Geezer and Ozzy's meeting in B'ham with Robert Plant before he was in Zeppelin.

Quote Originally Posted by mythology View Post
    Got the book for xmas and finished it a couple of days ago.

Interesting that Ozzy does not consider Black Sabbath a Heavy Metal band as I completely agree with this.

They may have spawned HM, but the first 8 LPs at least are not HM. Heavy Blues with a Jazz influence.
    Yep, and Iommi, Butler and Ward have made similar statements over the years as well. Sabbath was simply too brilliant, too talented and too creative to let themselves be pigeonholed into a narrow subgenre, even one of their own making.

I leafed through the book quite a bit at Barnes & Noble a couple of days ago. My birthday is this Thursday, so I've dropped a hint or two to my wife.

It's a mixture of hilarious and "how did he survive?"

I knew he (and the other guys) were poor, but not to the point where he had to shit and piss in a chamber pot at the foot of his bed.

Some of the stories of his school days brought back memories for me. I was forever messing with teachers' minds; not maliciously, but just to see what I could get by with. However, unlike Ozzy, any teacher who would have tried to beat me with a shoe would have ended up eating the shoe.

I certainly didn't know that Tony Iommi was such a chickmeister.

I think probably the worst part of it (and Ozzy's life) was Randy Rhoads getting killed. I don't think he's ever recovered from that. Sharon may have resurrected his career, but Rhoads resurrected him musically, as well as being Ozzy's best friend.

I am one of the very few who believe Ozzy should have knocked it on the head after Rhoads got killed, at least temporarily, to deal with the grief and subsequent chemical abuse.
    He is not here. He has risen!

im in no way a reader... i really hate to read but i just couldnt put it down! i craved reading it... and when i loaned it to a mate of mine he said exactly the same thing, and being a pommie (that lives out here in aussie land) he told me that the stories ozz was talking about reminded him of england and the shit that he used to do there, and then the shit that he did here aswell *snort snort!* lol....
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

I'm halfway through the book, around 1976 in the timeline. I can agree that it is a page turner! I got through the first 100 pages right off. It should be noted that Ozzy does quantify his memory before the book even begins, with a forward that he could very well be wrong about a lot of what went down in his life, but he is relating his memory as it stands currently. All was well until he related that Sabbath's first ever US gig took place in Manhattan, which, as far as I know, is not true. The bands first American show took place at Glassboro State College in NJ. He also seemed to think that the original War Pigs title was "Warpiggies", which he related to the witchcraft thing which I'm almost positive is actually called "Walpurgis". Nitpicking, but I thought I'd share.

Far more interesting to me is the glowing way in which he describes Tony Iommi, over and over again. Now, granted, I'm not even at the part where he gets fired and the whole messy period between he and Iommi in the early 80's, but even in his recollection of being a school chum of his, Ozzy goes out of his way to indicate that Iommi did NOT pick on him or bully him, it was more something that went on between kids of different grades all the time. I thought Iommi used to clobber Ozzy on a regular basis back then, but who am I to dispute it?

With the whole lawsuit thing going on (oh, yeah, remember that?) and Ozzy writing this during the time of his preparation and execution of such, it comes across to me as a bit phony that he would be so enamored of Iommi. Its almost like the pages are buttering Tony up.

Granted, I haven't gotten to the big breakup part of the book, so maybe this observation is premature. Up until 1976 though, Ozzy maintained that Iommi was best-looking man around, the only one of the four who women wanted to bang in the early days, had a talent parallel to Hendrix and Clapton (I agree, but a bold statement nonetheless) and was a fierce protector of his friends who fought down men twice his size. Who am I to dispute it? It just sounds like Ozzy is pouring in on a little thick for some reason.

But the stories, true or not, are great to read. The whole LA recording section for Volume 4 is priceless. How the four adjusted to life in America is great stuff, and I learned some cool details on the pranks they played on each other while recording Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in a castle.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the book!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

I'm about halfway thru the book. Insightful, fascinating and hilarious read. I am literally coming apart at the seams over his anecdote about trying to get rid of the stash after the cops showed up at the Cali mansion.
    Last edited by funkadelicgroupie; 02-03-2010 at 04:56 PM.

As a lifelong fan of the Ozzy era it pains me to say that the recurring thought I had throughout this book was "what a
    loser." How many times can you get drunk/stoned/high and crap your pants without losing the respect of all those around you?
    Last edited by mds; 02-04-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mds View Post
    As a lifelong fan of the Ozzy era it pains me to say that the recurring thought I had throughout this book was "what a
    loser." How many times can you get drunk/stoned/high and crap your pants without losing the respect of all those around you?
    I think it just goes to show how damaged (psychologically) Ozzy really was, and from a young age. Alcohol and drugs only exacerbate mental illness.

I just read the book, and I loved it. Laughed my ass off through most of it. As Bill Ward said on a DVD I got, he told Ozzy, if your singing doesn't work out you could be a fucking comedian! Great book that any Ozzy fan will love!
    Life Member of the NRA

I was gonna get it just to see how he wrote and what crazy things he says, but now your getting me excited to get it for other stuff as well.