Default Black Sabbath - 40 years!!!

Happy Birthday BLACK SABBATH, the song, the album and the band!!! It's the 13th of February again, 40 years have gone since the one and only bedrock of heavy metal was released!!!

BLACK SABBATH
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

The debut sounds unbelieveably good for it's age!

It still sounds better today than just about everything else, by just about everyone else.

Astonishing album, astonishing band.

As I'm listening to this album in my jubilant state of mind, I can't believe how great this album is! This album did it for me again: after many months of listening hiatus, it's like coming home! This album is not only the respectable bedrock of my entire music world today and always, it also has many sentimental values attached to it as well - this album takes me way back, to the days I discovered this album. After few listens I'm already feeling that same old addictive feeling again, the good old hunger that keeps growing...Sometimes some album hits me so hard that it's difficult to move on to the next album in the ongoing theme of albums, feels like this very thing is going to happen this time as well!

By the way, while I consider this album to be the beginning of heavy metal, Black Sabbath is also still the oldest rock album in my possession. Oh yes, I've heard many of the great bands of the 60's, from Jimi Hendrix to Led Zeppelin, from Cream to The Who, just haven't become excited about them so much...but this...THIS is the true beginning of a new genre and that genre is heavy metal!!! The evil, dark & heavy sound, the dusky atmosphere, the driving power, the vocals, the stories...the tritonal opening riff...the name Black Sabbath marking the band, the album and the song...they all came together perfectly in this one big slab of iron! A flawless alignment of excellence.

I'm listening to this yet again...the rain pours, the thunder roars...and BANG!!! The birth of heavy metal! Black Sabbath!!!
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    THIS is the true beginning of a new genre and that genre is heavy metal!!! The evil, dark & heavy sound, the dusky atmosphere, the driving power, the vocals, the stories...the tritonal opening riff...the name Black Sabbath marking the band, the album and the song...they all came together perfectly in this one big slab of iron! A flawless alignment of excellence.

I'm listening to this yet again...the rain pours, the thunder roars...and BANG!!! The birth of heavy metal! Black Sabbath!!!
    Spot on. It spawned the genre I love, and it's so hellishly good that 40 years later it still deserves to be very much alive, at the centre of discussion...

Gonna be listening to this album a lot tomorrow in celebration. Pretty much told everyone I know today it's very exciting! I may not have been born in time to catch it when it came out. But I could have caught the 20th aniversary when I was 2 lol. Glad to be here to celebrate this one! Black sabbath is the best!
    How was I to know it was "kiss the world with winter flowers"?

Under The Sun Favourite Era: 70s Era Favourite Album: Vol. 4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLACK SABBATH!

With Black Sabbath, The Wizard, N.I.B., Wicked World, Warning, where can you go wrong? Still holds up 40 years later
    Where can I run to now? The joke is on me

I have been listening to this for a week!!!!!!

Happy birthday to the album that started it all!Crack open a few cold ones, and crank it!

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 02-13-2010 at 02:38 AM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Happy B-Day to Black Sabbath album!!! I'm gonna put the (vinyl) LP on, take a nice position in my lounger and just listen with my eyes closed.

Banned

Cool story Joe! I enjoyed the commercial!

Hard to imagine that it's been 40 years since the invention of Heavy fuckin' Metal! What a great musical journey for all of us Black Sabbath started!

Happy Birthday BLACK SABBATH!

Thank you very much Joe for the great, detailed news piece on the 40th anniversary of the 1st heavy metal album ever released...Black Sabbath. I'm glad that as we celebrate, we now have the Deluxe Edition of the album with an entire CD of bonus tracks and expanded packaging.

Ted

Happy 40th Anniversary Black Sabbath!!
    Thank you for forty years of heavy metal and killer music. The first Sabbath album is one of the heaviest and greatest masterpieces of all time. I would also like to thank you, Joe for posting the awesome detailed news post in the news section. I'm going to crank up the very first Black Sabbath album right now!

Fantastic!
    This is an album which is played quite often here, and it has meant so much to me.
    Well, suppose I am growing older too then?!

Thanks guys for all the pleasure, you have given me during the years, and a Happy Anniversary!

Default Happy Birthday Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath

Just revisited the album....I think they were at there most balanced on this debut with the Boys of Birmingham contibuting equally......Ozzy's voice was unique and different (lower) then on any release after this........Tony showcasing his great talents: at the end of the song Black Sabbath he has a great wah-wah fuzz feedback goin' on........Bill's classic drum riff the takes the Wall of Sleep into Geezer's bassically which ends (and begins N.I.B.) with a torrid bass feedback that cuts like a knife......it left me with a great hippy-jazz vibe.....Happy B-Day BS/BS.

Default Review of Black Sabbath

Nice debut from the boys of birmingham,the title cut-black sabbath contains a great paranoia-trancelike vocals from john osbourne,power chops from sir anthony iommi,soaring bass by terrance butler and bashing from william ward.wicked world-a jazz ditty has the galloping bass from butler,osbourne's nasal twang,nice solo from iommi, and good jazz drums from ward.behind the wall of sleep has some wicked ozzy echo that compliments the classic bill beat which segue ways into the greatest hard rock bass riff of all time=butler's n.i.b. (did the devil really become a nice guy and was ward's beard ever dipped in ink to write this song?).evil woman (only available on the uk issues)has good bass work from the geez,the wizard is a hybrid hillbilly-hard rocker with great drumming (did ozzy really play harmonica?). Tony acknowlege's his welding accident with bit of finger, sleeping village has a elvis osbourne vocal (did elvis..er ozzy play mouth harp on that song?)which blends into the great iommi epic-the warning.

Happy Birthday Black Sabbath! I listened to the album twice today and played it on my bass. To me, there is just not any better album than this one. It illustrates the roots and formation of Black Sabbath and the heavy metal they created.

Gave the debut a spin just last week, sounds as fresh as ever, what a band, and Iommi's genius was evident of things to come. In my opinion, he took what Cream was doing in song like Spoonful and weaved an epic blues/metal masterpiece for the ages! Here Here!

Best album of all time, IMHO. Happy anniversary guys.
    Life Member of the NRA

Happy birthday Black Sabbath! I did myself a favor today and listened in my basement to the deluxe reissue on vinyl... Again, it sounds so good and I can't believe this is 40 years old today!

Also followed with Paranoid and Master of Reality so that was Sabbath day!

I was 1 & a half years old when this came out. It's been a long journey and I'm happy to have had Sabbath as my companion. I never met them but the music is my family. Each album represents a different priod in my life... from childhood, to teenage years, to young adult, marriage, fatherhood. My daughter is 10 and she likes Eating the Cannibals. She's yet another generation of Black Sabbath fan. Happy 40 years!

Here's tribute to one of my all time favorite bands on their 40th Year Anniversary. Your comments would be welcomed.

Tribute Link

Happy 40th! I remember buying this album when I was 15 just out of curiosity..I was hooked on it. To this day it still sounds as good as it did 4 years ago! This LP is definitely one of top 5's for sure.

John Osbourne, Frank Anthony Iommi, Terence Butler, and William Ward: Four men who faced hardships in industrial post WWII Birmingham spent two days in a studio yet managed to make one of the biggest impacts in rock/metal history. I'm glad to call myself a fan.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade 1978; 02-14-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Anyone else really like this?:

the spirit of Black Sabbath continues in everything I write and play.
    -Tony Iommi

\m/ long live Black Sabbath
    "I want to tell you, yeah
    How Good It Feels
    Sleeping here with you tonight
    And that’s for real"
    -Sometimes I'm Happy 8/5/75

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Man View Post
    Anyone else really like this?:

-Tony Iommi

\m/ long live Black Sabbath
    Here Here.... that was a great quote Tonny I. The last of the Knghts Templar, Sir Anthony Iommi long may he live!

Damm I am older than Sabbath debut ........