Default The Runaways - band and movie

Has anyone seen this movie yet? It's out in Detroit but hasn't got out into suburbia yet so I haven't seen it, though I want to.

I thought they were a better band than they were given credit for...not a great band by any means but bands like Girlschool and Rock Goddess surely owed a bit to them.
    He is not here. He has risen!

I'm a fan, particularly of Kim Fowley who put them together. My understanding is that there's a certain amt of fictionalized stuff in the movie, particularly because Jackie Fox didn't want anything to do with it and wouldn't sign off on her "life rights" about it (Jackie has since become a Hollywood lawyer, no shit) - So they invented a fictional bassist for the movie. Go figure. While I'm glad Joan was on board throughout, it sucks that some of the story is fictionalized, and blurs the line between fact and fiction for all who see it. I plan on seeing this sometime. I had to sell all my Runaways vinyl a few years back (for pennies on the dollar), that sucked.

All the best,
    PAULIE

I am a fan of the Runaways - saw them twice back in the 70's (both times were without Cherie Currie though) I did see the movie & it's ok - Kristen Stewart does a good job protraying Joan but I wish they would have included more of the other band members - Lita & Sandy are just there & the movie is definitely about Cherie & Joan - Also didn't like at the end where they listed Joan's solo accomplishments but acted like Lita did nothing in the band or as a solo artist. If you're a fan of the band check out the documentary Edgeplay - Edgplay has some good interviews with the band (except Joan who didn't want to participate) & Kim Fowley
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Haven't seen the movie yet but I know its based on Cherie's autobiography and I guess that book was mostly about her and Joan's relationship. I heard that Lita is made out to be a real bitch in the movie, can anyone confirm? I think most of those women don't get along with each other. Joan allegedly (according to the director) refused to participate in Edgeplay because the documentary didn't focus enough on her and Lita only participated because they agreed to put her solo stuff into the soundtrack.

I saw this movie opening day and it is great. I also got the soundtrack and have played is a LOT. The movie is a must see for all 70 rock fans and probally won't be in theaters for long. Dakota Fanning is Cherie Currie and Kristen Stewart plays Joan Jett, and both of these actresses do a great job. Many of the movie has many great scenes. My favroite is when Dakota stomps on some pills on the floor with her high healed gogo boot snorts the powder and then walks out on stage and sings Cherry Bomb on Japanness version of the beat club in a corset and black underware. Yes this is a down dirty movie with most scenes taking place in trailer parks sleezly motels and small clubs. The sad part is this group burned out before they had a chance to become famous.

Banned

I saw them live in London in 76 (at The Roundhouse I think). It was the classic Jett, Currie, Fox, Ford & West line-up. They were messy & sloppy but it was a great show... but I was 12 & my hormones were in overdrive so I may have been biased!

I caught the movie & it was a nice PG version of what by all accounts was an X-rated story (some of the stories I've heard are eye-opening to say the least... including a couple I heard from the horse's mouth), but it's rock'n'roll for a Twilight audience and most of the audience when I saw it were teenage girls, there to mutter excitedly when Stewart (especially) & Fanning come on screen.
    Last edited by devilmaycare; 04-17-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    I saw them live in London in 76 (at The Roundhouse I think). It was the classic Jett, Currie, Fox, Ford & West line-up. They were messy & sloppy but it was a great show... but I was 12 & my hormones were in overdrive so I may have been biased!

I caught the movie & it was a nice PG version of what by all accounts was an X-rated story (some of the stories I've heard are eye-opening to say the least... including a couple I heard from the horse's mouth), but it's rock'n'roll for a Twilight audience and most of the audience when I saw it were teenage girls, there to mutter excitedly when Stewart (especially) & Fanning come on screen.
    Ha! Yeh, I had a crush on Cherie myself in high school... never really listened to their music but...so R U going to share any of those X-rated stories... you can dumb them down to R rated maybe? ....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Ha! Yeh, I had a crush on Cherie myself in high school... never really listened to their music but...so R U going to share any of those X-rated stories... you can dumb them down to R rated maybe? ....
    I never really like Cherie... i liked Jackie Fox!

Those stories? Not suitable for a family oriented forum like this... And possibly very libelous!

I finally saw it last night in Detroit. Not bad at all, especially Kristen Stewart's leather trousers.

My favourite scene was when the guitar teacher was trying to teach Joan and she said "at least you could know 'Smoke On The Water'!"

I read an interview with Joan recently...she said that she never actually pissed on another band's instrumentation.

According to Wikipedia, Kim Fowley is now 70 years old. I wonder who he's scamming now.

My guess as to why the movie wasn't more explicit is that Dakota Fanning is still underage. Kristen Stewart just turned 20; not sure about the others.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    My guess as to why the movie wasn't more explicit is that Dakota Fanning is still underage.
    They could have cast somebody else. I didn't want or expect a more sexually explicit movie... Just something edgier...
    Last edited by devilmaycare; 04-20-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Those stories? Not suitable for a family oriented forum like this... And possibly very libelous!
    That would mean they're false. I suspect you mean you'd be publicly disclosing embarrassing private facts. I think you'd be still be OK, since the facts are arguably of legitimate public interest. Or maybe I just mean I'm interested. In any event, fire away.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Banned

I know what I meant. And I said what I meant.

As I said. There are stories out there. A couple I've heard from sources who would know. The others... Who knows..? So POSSIBLY LIBELOUS covers it nicely. Thanks.

Either way. I'm not getting into them here.

My mistake, I'm sorry. Your post #6 above doesn't suggest you know false stories, but true ones (that's my understanding of what "by all accounts" and "from the horse's mouth" implies, anyways).

Since the girls in the Runaways are all somewhat famous, being the subject of a movie and all, there'd be a couple other hurdles to your getting hit for libel, by the way. Doesn't really matter under the circumstances.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Banned

I think you're taking the libelous thing far too seriously & literally to be honest. I don't expect to be sued by anyone. Jesus!

It seems you've taken your Libel 101 textbook, dictionary & thesaurus to posts that don't really deserve the dissection you've given them. "By all accounts" is just a figure of speech, I'm not implying anything. I don't know if some of the stories I've heard are false or not, I said quite clearly that I know a couple of them are fact, or at least according to one person's view.

I was just saying that there's some widely circulated stories involving the Runaways that would take this story WAAAAAY beyond a PG movie... and that someone confirmed a couple of the "legends" to me.

That's all.

I would have liked to have seen the movie be a bit more realistic in some ways - didn't like the whole pissing on the guitars bit & would have liked to have seen the movie show the interactions of the band with some of the other touring bands that were on the bills with them (the Ramones, Cheap Trick) have you ever seen Jackie Fox's website - she had a blog where she told Runaways stories in it & did come out against a lot of the stuff the Cherie Currie had put in her book - there are some funny stories in it on Cheap Trick & some of the other bands that the Runaways played with - heres a link if you want to read some of her stories -
    http://runawaysstories.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

... i liked Jackie Fox!

I'm with you - she was smokin'

I like the Runaways, I enjoyed watching some of their old videos on YouTube, I saw the movie which was pretty good.

There is also a documentary movie about them which is also pretty good, it's called Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways, here is the for the movie for anyone who is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kx...L&index=3&t=0s

I tried posting the video instead of link, but I guess the video posting issue hasn't been fixed, it shows a black square.
    Last edited by OzzyIsDio; 06-08-2019 at 08:02 AM.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyIsDio View Post
    I like the Runaways, I enjoyed watching some of their old videos on YouTube, I saw the movie which was pretty good.

There is also a documentary movie about them which is also pretty good, it's called Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways, here is the for the movie for anyone who is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kx...L&index=3&t=0s

I tried posting the video instead of link, but I guess the video posting issue hasn't been fixed, it shows a black square.

I have seen both movies and i agree that they are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
    I have seen both movies and i agree that they are pretty good.
    Sandy West on Edgeplay was extremely sad, I felt for her, especially when she said with a lump in her throat "why couldn't they do a reunion, why couldn't they do it for me?" I get emotional just typing these words.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"

Sandy West on Edgeplay was extremely sad, I felt for her, especially when she said with a lump in her throat "why couldn't they do a reunion, why couldn't they do it for me?" I get emotional just typing these words.
    Yes,and sad that she got into such big drugproblems.

I'd like to see a Suzi Quatro movie...She gets no credit for trailblazing on so many levels. Never made it in the states, even after being on Happy Days...might've hurt more than helped her career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
    Yes,and sad that she got into such big drugproblems.
    Yes very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    I'd like to see a Suzi Quatro movie...She gets no credit for trailblazing on so many levels. Never made it in the states, even after being on Happy Days...might've hurt more than helped her career.
    I remember first seeing Suzi Quatro on Happy Days playing Pinky Tuscadero's sister, Leather Tuscadero.

Yes very sad.

I remember first seeing Suzi Quatro on Happy Days playing Pinky Tuscadero's sister, Leather Tuscadero.
    Yeah, that's all any of us here ever saw her, at all.

On Happy Days she did "Devil Gate Drive" which as a young boy I always remember thinking wow...edgy "Devil" lyrics! Never forgot the song but never remembered to seek it out until this year and now it's on constant rotation.

Give Suzi a good long study and see if you don't hear literally EVERYTHING that came to exist after her in her offerings. You can hear Runaways, Joan (of course), Blondie, almost all of that 80's kind of generic female popstar with big hair stuff...

And Suzy plays Bass, how cool is that?

And guess who her drummer was early on?

Only Cozy Powell!

Quote Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
    Yeah, that's all any of us here ever saw her, at all.

On Happy Days she did "Devil Gate Drive" which as a young boy I always remember thinking wow...edgy "Devil" lyrics! Never forgot the song but never remembered to seek it out until this year and now it's on constant rotation.

Give Suzi a good long study and see if you don't hear literally EVERYTHING that came to exist after her in her offerings. You can hear Runaways, Joan (of course), Blondie, almost all of that 80's kind of generic female popstar with big hair stuff...

And Suzy plays Bass, how cool is that?

And guess who her drummer was early on?

Only Cozy Powell!
    Thank you William, I will give her a listen, very cool she plays bass, I had a crush on Suzi when I was young because of Happy Days.

Never knew Cozy Powell played with her, now that is the coolest!

Suzi was big in Australia, so I hear.