Default The next batch of deluxe editions

If and when it happens, what would you like to hear? Let's get some predictions going.

Born Again- I don't own this album and have never listened to it in full. I like the songs I've heard, but the sound grates on my ears something fierce. I'd like a double disc with the original mix and the released version for comparison. Some live material would be nice too.

Seventh Star- Apart from the single/video mix of No Stranger To Love, what else is there to add? The '96 Castle remaster of this is very good in terms of sound quality and it's difficult to think how it could be improved.

The Eternal Idol- Some Kind of Woman and the '87 recording of Black Moon are absolute musts and, much as I'd enjoy some Ray Gillen demos, I don't like my chances. A bonus disc of a full live show would be interesting though.

My understanding with the IRS material is that the rights reverted to Tony after the company dissolved and Universal aren't (yet) able to re-release them. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong and hopefully give me more to look forward to.

IRS records owned by Capitol/EMI and the did a halfassed re-release in 1999. And have used the songs on a couple different compilation albums. As far as extra material there are demos and japan only bonus tracks. But doubtful the demos will ever see light of day offically.
    Pain and Poison Roses

I would like to see The Fallen added to born Again. For Seventh Star I would like the Live San Antonio show as a bonus. For Eternal Idol I would like the Some kind Of Woman and Black Moon as well as the Ray Gillen version. For Headless Cross add Cloak and Dagger and a live cd.

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sabbathstone View Post
    If and when it happens, what would you like to hear? Let's get some predictions going.
    I sent over my list to the folks at Universal. I made it PAINFULLY aware to them that they better not drop the ball regarding extras when they get to the non Ozzy/Dio era stuff, as there's a boat load of it. I even presented the Born Again demos plus the Ray Gillen Eternal Idol, as wel as the Tony Martin version of Dehumanizer (no I don't have that one, just reminded 'em of it). They are well aware of stuff that's out there. Whether it gets included or not is down to Tony I.

My understanding with the IRS material is that the rights reverted to Tony after the company dissolved and Universal aren't (yet) able to re-release them. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong and hopefully give me more to look forward to.
    Correct. Tony Iommi holds the rights to the IRS catalogue, save for Dehumanizer in the US, as that was released on Warner. I've been told Universal will probably release them too via a new deal, but no news (or hard facts) exists for this yet.
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 04-27-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    I sent over my list to the folks at Universal. I made it PAINFULLY aware to them that they better not drop the ball regarding extras when they get to the non Ozzy/Dio era stuff, as there's a boat load of it. I even presented the Born Again demos plus the Ray Gillen Eternal Idol, as wel as the Tony Martin version of Dehumanizer (no I don't have that one, just reminded 'em of it). They are well aware of stuff that's out there. Whether it gets included or not is down to Tony I.

Correct. Tony Iommi holds the rights to the IRS catalogue, save for Dehumanizer in the US, as that was released on Warner. I've been told Universal will probably release them too via a new deal, but no news (or hard facts) exists for this yet.
    Joe, thank you so much for standing guard and pushing for proper Sabbath re-releases. The true fans want to hear all the b-sides/demo's/live material!

Quote Originally Posted by missedexit View Post
    Joe, thank you so much for standing guard and pushing for proper Sabbath re-releases. The true fans want to hear all the b-sides/demo's/live material!
    Hear hear!

All the best,
    PAULIE

If you own a copy of Cross Purposes Live better sell it now. What do you think will be disk #2 of the Deluxe Expanded Edition for Cross Purposes?

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedZero View Post
    If you own a copy of Cross Purposes Live better sell it now. What do you think will be disk #2 of the Deluxe Expanded Edition for Cross Purposes?
    Some of the material worked on with Ozzy in the post Costa Mesa 1992 reunion attempt?

Probably not. I think most of that was turned into Cross Purposes anyway.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

That's very interesting. I always figured that the IRS catalogue was owned by EMI now. Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by RedZero View Post
    If Cross Purposes Live is Disk #2 of the Deluxe Expanded Edition of Cross Purposes then I can foresee Disk #2 of Expanded Edition for Born Again being the Unmixed Demos with The Fallen.

Some of the material worked on with Ozzy in the post Costa Mesa 1992 reunion attempt?

Probably not. I think most of that was turned into Cross Purposes anyway.
    Joe, I never heard that Ozzy worked on new material with Sabbath post Costa Mesa! So, you're saying there was material written IN ADDITION to the post-Reunion reunion.

Essentially, that would be the Cross Purposes riffs with Ozzy's vocal melodies (and back at a time when his voice was still strong)?

Wow, I would give a leg to hear those demos!!

So Iommi has outright say in what goes on these albums. And he has made it clear he doesnt like releasing demos at all. So...................... (anyone feel free to fill in the blank!)

Some songs from the IRS label have appeared on Capitol Special Markets releases. (those cds you find at the counter at truckstops). And on a '10 best' cd series.
    Pain and Poison Roses

Quote Originally Posted by EDTRADER View Post
    So Iommi has outright say in what goes on these albums. And he has made it clear he doesnt like releasing demos at all. So...................... (anyone feel free to fill in the blank!)

Some songs from the IRS label have appeared on Capitol Special Markets releases. (those cds you find at the counter at truckstops). And on a '10 best' cd series.
    People can change their minds, though. Iommi apparently did when he approved the recent Sanctuary remasters of BS, Paranoid and MoR. If he's ok with those embryonic versions of songs, then I don't see that he'd have any objection to releasing the rest.

I think it's just a matter of him taking the time himself, or allowing trusted individuals into his sanctuary to sort through his many, many tapes for some kind of box-set release of rarities.

I would love to hear the Martin/Dehumanizer version, if it exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesithempire View Post
    Joe, I never heard that Ozzy worked on new material with Sabbath post Costa Mesa! So, you're saying there was material written IN ADDITION to the post-Reunion reunion.

Essentially, that would be the Cross Purposes riffs with Ozzy's vocal melodies (and back at a time when his voice was still strong)?

Wow, I would give a leg to hear those demos!!
    Post Costa Mesa Sabbath tracks, WOW!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I trust that this is the correct thread within which to post this...a link to a new article regarding the Forbidden album was posted in another thread and I'm re-posting it here as there was also some very interesting information regarding Born Again in the article which was divulged by Tony in an interview. Tony stated that "the (Born Again) tapes have disappeared into the Don Arden pit. We've found about five tracks, the rest are all missing. Such a shame."

This is news to me. Someone commented below the article that (Tony) should put out the 5 tracks remastered...I'm not sure if the Commenter meant to state 'remixed' instead of 'remastered', as it seems to me that Tony would be referring to the multi-track tapes. Plus does Tony mean that Don Arden would have either been in possession of or knew the whereabouts of the multi-tracks for the entire album prior to his passing?

Here's the link to the article: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...e_mistake.html

So this could be hopeful news if Tony ever saw fit too remix and put out those 5 tracks in some form, and if Don Arden might be/is the missing link to finding the multi-tracks of the full album, perhaps that could lead to even better news at some point...

Ted
    Last edited by Ted Sallis; 02-25-2019 at 03:26 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ted Sallis For This Useful Post:

OzzyIsDio (03-02-2019)

News to me as well. Heard for ages those tapes were long gone. I’ll take five out of eight if that’s all there is. Tony seemed like he was actually giving some thought to a remix.

Thanks for the link Ted.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Thanks for that, Ted. Don Arden's archives must be accessible to someone, I don't think he'd have left them unaccounted for.