Default Roky Erickson/13th Floor Elevators

I was wondering if anyone else is a fan of Roky Erickson & his 60’s band the 13th Floor Elevators
    The 13th floor elevators were one of the pioneers of the psychedlic rock scene in the 1960’s their first LP - The psychedelic sounds of the 13th floor elevators was released in 1966 & featured the hit single You’re Gonna miss me - other stand out tracks on the LP are Reverberation (Doubt), Splash 1 and Fire Engine
    1967 saw the followup LP - Easter Everywhere - this one has the classic tracks Postures, She Lives & slip inside this house. Unfortunately drug abuse started to take it’s toll on the band & this shows in the 1969 LP Bull of the woods - one song is a classic though - may the circle remain unbroken

Once the elevators stopped Roky had a side trip into Rusk mental hospital as part of a plea deal on a drug bust - by the early 70’s he was released & back making music in Austin with his new band Blieb Alien
    With songs like Bermuda, I walked with a zombie, bloody hammer his 1980 LP The Evil one (or simply Roky Erickson & the Aliens) showed that Roky had lost none of his playing or singing ability. Other great tunes on this LP are Creature with the atom brain, Mine Mine Mind & two headed dog - really not a bad track on the LP. The 1980’s also saw the release of the classic Don’t Slander Me with the killer title track, burn the flames, Haunt, & Starry Eyes.

There were sporadic releases thru the 90’s (All that may do may Rhyme is a cool record though) & a lot of live Cd’s & compilations came out - one release that did come out that I recommend finding is the tribute CD - Where the Pyramid meets the Eye - this has contributions by ZZ Top, R.E.M. Butthole Surfers, Doug Sahm & Sons & many others performing classic Roky songs - love the version of Reverberation by ZZ Top & Lou Ann Barton’s take on Don’t Slander Me

Recently (2007) a documentary was made on Roky called You’re Gonna Miss me which showed his struggles with his mental health issues - this is a great documentary & I urge everyone to check it out if you want to learn more about Roky. Earlier this month he released a new CD called True Love cast out all Evil - it is great to see him playing live again & if you have a chance I definitely recommend you seeing him live - you can easily see how his singing & playing style has influenced everyone from ZZ Top to singers like Robert Plant. He still puts on a great show I have seen him several times over the years - the last time was at the Grenada Theater in Dallas where they played the documentary first then he came out & played about a 60 minute set of all his classics - seeing him play & sing You’re Gonna Miss me was amazing his voice is still fantastic - seeing him hit those screams was great.

Website - http://www.rokyerickson.net/

Documentary Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFLqzJB6qw

13th Floor Elevators

you’re gonna Miss Me -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYh5o...eature=related

She Lives - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrl9c...eature=related

Roky Erickson

Two Headed Dog - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aLX...eature=related

Bermuda - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbdV4...eature=related

Bloody Hammer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWS-O...eature=related

Don’t Shake Me Lucifer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTi0dcn7O38
    Last edited by kamikazetom; 05-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Whoo, I thought this was a death thread. Yeah, I'm a big fan. I saw Roky last October here in Toronto. Very few bands from America could capitalize on the Psychadelic movement that made roots in Britain.

Absolutely massive fan. Easter Everywhere is one of my favourite LPs of all time.

Seriously give Bull of the Woods a go it is also a great LP. Not as immediate as the 1st two, but great nevertheless.

I first ever even heard of them, on the telly, when Primal Scream, a Scottish alt-rock act I once really liked, mentioned Roky Eckson and the 13th Floor Elevators, as a strong influence on their music. I really should have checked out Roky and the Elevators, soon enough afterwards. I had not, and still hadn't heard anything by these guys until I saw these choice video clips you posted here for us, Tom. Sounds genuinely fun garage rock.

I'm gonna have to watch that documentary again, properly. The Two Headed Dog and Don't Shake Me Lucifer tunes sound especially good, at the moment. Hey Tom, this is gonna take some time and effort, but I promise to try out Roky and his band, in-depth. Maybe, snapping up the new CD you cited, will be a good start, right?
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

First time I heard about Roky was by a cover of the band H.I.M of the song Don't Shake Me Lucifer,both versions I like very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z2fe...eature=related (H.I.M-Don't Shake Me Lucifer)
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

So nice to see some other Roky fans on the board -Malchick sorry you thought this might be a death thread I got the new Cd yesterday & that's what promoted me to make the post - I really like the new CD but it's more folky psychedelia than garage rock - definitely worth checking out if you are a Roky fan really like the title track & the version of John Lawman on this a lot.

RLP - if you like the more garage rock sound I would recommend checking out the Cd's the Evil one & Don't Slander Me for Roky's solo stuff as a good place tp start - with the 13th Floor Elevators you can't go wrong with Easter Everywhere or Psychedelic sounds both are good starting points.

The HIM cover is pretty interesting do you know if this is just a live song or did they cover it on one of thier CD's?
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

I find Roky's solo stuff a bit patchy, but you really cannot go wrong with 'Easter Everywhere'. If you are wondering what that strange sound is it's Tommy Hall (lyricist and philosopher) playing an electric jug!!

As Ozzy once sang:

Blow on a jug
    Everybody come on - blow on a jug
    Be like me and blow on a jug
    I want you to blow on a jug
    Everybody begin - blow on a jug

Maybe he was referring to the Elevators, but I doubt it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post
    The HIM cover is pretty interesting do you know if this is just a live song or did they cover it on one of thier CD's?
    It's just a live recording,they do many cover songs live.
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Oh yeah, not really a fan of their garage stuff. It's very good in it's own way, but it's a little too dated and just plain isn't my bag. There's a thousand other bands doing the exact same thing at the time - the Amboy Dukes and a bunch of others that don't come to mind right away. Really, if I explore this period of the genre at all, I stay away from the psychedelic stuff and listen more to early Kinks, some Paul Revere and Kingsmen, and that's pretty much it.

I was searching Austin City Limits site & came accros the show Roky did back in 2008 - Has Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top sitting in on guitar - Roky's set starts around 23 minutes in (After Kings of Leon)
    http://video.pbs.org/video/1350234586/

The Evil One is an absolute masterpiece.
    The way he sings, the way those little melodies take their own bumpy road, the way the same lyrics over and over again are sung with such variation... brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Apparently they are reuniting after almost 50 years. They're doing a big tour! Love this band and Roky! http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/0...e-in-48-years/

Unbelievable.

The best psychedelic band and one of my favourite bands ever.

Nice to see Tommy Hall is part of it as we'll get the electric jug playing.

This is the best news I have heard in a long time - I wonder who they will have playing guitar (to replace the late Stacy Sutherland) I know Billy Gibbons has sat in on Roky's live sets in the past so would be cool if he would play the reunion show. From what I have heard it's only for the Austin Levitation festival but I hope they will play some more dates (really hoping for a Dallas show) - Definitely going to have to go to the Austin show. This is one reunion that no one thought would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mythology View Post
    Unbelievable.

The best psychedelic band and one of my favourite bands ever.

Nice to see Tommy Hall is part of it as we'll get the electric jug playing.
    That is all that matters. Cant have the elevators without an electric jug. That is gotta be the craziest sound I have ever heard in my life. I wish I lived in Texas just to see this show but I am so very far away.

This is the best news I have heard in a long time - I wonder who they will have playing guitar (to replace the late Stacy Sutherland) I know Billy Gibbons has sat in on Roky's live sets in the past so would be cool if he would play the reunion show. From what I have heard it's only for the Austin Levitation festival but I hope they will play some more dates (really hoping for a Dallas show) - Definitely going to have to go to the Austin show. This is one reunion that no one thought would ever happen.
    Yep if you've seen the "your gonna miss me" doc you would not have thought this would happen.

Good news!!!

Sad news - I just heard that Roky Erickson has passed away today. I always though he was a great musician and he had one of the best Rock voices of all time. Obituary - https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...225808855.html

Sad news - I just heard that Roky Erickson has passed away today. I always though he was a great musician and he had one of the best Rock voices of all time. Obituary - https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...225808855.html
    Sad sad news. I didnít hear this until now. It was not reported that much. Truly a loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Roky.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Terrible news. Rest In Peace. First Elevators album I got was the “Live” album with studio outtakes and overdubbed applause. Fan ever since.