Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What si your favorite musical memory of Ronnie James Dio?

He's done many great songs but at this sad moment, I remember Voodoo. It's not great because of showcasing his vocal range, but rather that I liked the tone of his voice.

I have a bunch of them.

1. First time hearing Heaven And Hell (the album), and changed my mind on future singers of Black Sabbath.
    2. Listening to Stand Up And Shout's live Dio track Sacred Heart. Powerful stuff.
    3. 2007, I'll never forget that concert. Machine Head, Megadeth, and Black Sabbath with Appice and Dio.
    4. Listening to Holy Diver album on my Prom Night, driving into the night, grabing a chocolate milkshake from Steak N' Shake.

RIP Ronnie James Dio.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

For me it was seeing him sing Man on the Silver Mountain & Mistreated in the Rainbow days - what a voice

RIP Ronnie
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Learning that he was rejoining Sabbath for the Dio Years and that they would make three new songs. Those are the last Dio songs under the official Black Sabbath flag. The Devil Cried...

My mothers Boyfriend playing Gates Of Babylon when i was eleven and being mesmerised by its singer

This is really devastating

Some of my highlights:
    -First time listening to Dio. I started listening to Sabbath with Dio because I wanted to go see H&H on the first '07 leg, but just because of Tony and Geezer, I thought Dio was lame at the time. I was knocked sideways instantly when I put on Heaven And Hell and heard Neon Knights. I knew right then Dio was always the best singer for Sabbath.
    -Binghamton '07 - Dio's "homecoming" show only a half hour from his hometown. He gave a really nice little speech between The Mob Rules and Children Of The Sea.
    -Hearing Bible Black for the first time - my first (And sadly only) opportunity to experience new Dio music as it was released.
    -Cincinnati '09 - The best concert I've ever been to. Bumped horns with Dio during The Mob Rules.

The entire Heaven and Hell album will be with me the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
    The entire Heaven and Hell album will be with me the rest of my life.
    Same Here!

I was too young to see RJD in his first go-round w Sabbath, and missed him for Dehumanizer... I couldn't stand Dio's solo work at all. Until Magica. I've said it before - I think Magica is the best album Sabbath never made.

It was in the last 10 or so years (since Magica's release) that I really came to appreciate the mastery of his singing, writing, overall performance, and ETHIC more than anything else.

When news came of his third try with Sabbath (H&H, whatever, it's Sabbath), I was elated - And between the Dio Years, Metal Masters and TDYK tours, I managed to see them 8 times. Today, more than any other day, I am SO glad I did. I was present for the RCMH show, and got to shake his hand once after the first Mohegan Sun gig, and that will stay with me always. I told him "I'm really looking forward to the next 'Magica,'" and he said "Me too, thank you." I'm absolutely gutted that we won't get to hear it, but I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to express my appreciation to him directly.

Outside of my memories of seeing him live, both solo and with H&H, this is the way I'd like to remember him:
    http://lnk.ms/09n8l

God bless Ronnie James Dio.

All the best,
    PAULIE

Seeing Sabbath on the Dehumanizer tour in NYC. My favorite singer with my favorite band. I was too young the 1st time with Sabbath, and even though I had seen him solo before, this was the most excited I had ever been for a concert before. I remember during the intro (E5150), I was shaking with anticipation. Then Tony walked on stage with the spotlight on him and launched into the opening riff to The Mob Rules. Pure ecstacy....
    Rise up, resist, and be the master of your fate
    Don't look back, live for today - tomorrow is too late!

When I bought Heaven and Hell (the album). Never thought Ozzy could be replaced, but that album was great! Also, seeing him in Cincinnatti fronting Heaven and Hell was a concert I will never forget as long as I live. It was awesome.
    Life Member of the NRA

The first time I dropped the stylus on "Neon Knights" back in 1981...

Seeing him live:

Dio - Fort Wayne, 1985
    Black Sabbath - Chicago, 1992
    Heaven and Hell - Detroit, 2009

I knew this was going to happen, just like I knew cancer was killing my dad, but when it actually happens, you're still never quite ready for it.
    He is not here. He has risen!

The first time I saw Dio was on The Last In Line Tour at Nassau Coliseum. I think it was third concert I had ever attended. I was so blown away. Saw him many times after that. One of the top metal frontmen of all time. I am so bummed . RIP RJD.

So many, in order of how they happened. #8 is my second if not my favorite

1. Listening to Heaven and Hell, Christmas Eve 1980. First time I hard the album. Instant fan of "Dio Sabbath." I was 11 years old.

2. Going to my fist Dio show 1988.

3. Going to my fist Black Sabbath Show, 1992 on the Dehumanizer tour.

4. Hearing news of the "Dio Years" reunion for the (then) 2 new songs, later to become 3 songs.

5. News of the 2007 "Heaven & Hell" tour, and then seeing them twice (Cleveland & Detroit) on back to back nights.

6. 2008 Metal Master Tour.

7. New album! "The Devl You Know." It was a dream come true for me to have new DIo Sabbath music.

8. TDYK tour. saw them 3 times in 8 days! Detroit, Cleveland and then on the final night of the show (and now it is H&H's final show ever :( ) in Atlantic City, NJ. Drove 629 miles to see the final show. I was fortunate enough to be front & center (along with Serpitine from the boards) right in front of Ronnie. Closest I have ever been for a concert, and for my all time favorite band & Sabbath line-up. It was the greatest shows I have witnessed live, and looking back, is bittersweet, as it will be the final time I will ever see RJD live.

Ronnie your music has meant so much to me over the years. You will be greatly missed.

My prayers go out to the entire Dio famly.
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Banned

On record... Long Live Rock'n'Roll, Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, Holy Diver... Side 2 of Rising...

Live, the firsts...

Seeing Rainbow on their first UK tour at Hammersmith on 9/8/76
    Seeing the Heaven & Hell tour at the same venue in May 1980
    Seeing Dio at the 1983 Castle Donnington
    Seeing the reformed Sabbath at the Beacon Theater in NYC on the Dehumanizer tour
    and the Heaven & Hell show at Radio City Music Hall (which was also the last time I saw RJD perform live)

Some great memories. Thanks man.

I was lucky enough to see Heaven and Hell twice before the sad passing of RJD. The show in August at the Warfield in San Francisco was the best concert I have ever been to. He looked so well and seemed to be in very high spirits. So incredibly sad.

I was an Ozzy elitist. Then one night, I had my iPod on shuffle, and the song "Die Young" came on. I was like "What's this crap?" Then I listened to the entire song. I had an epiphany that night. Dio, you may rest in peace. I'm sure he's off slaying dragons.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

My favorite was somehow being in the right place at the right time. When Joe and I circled August 29, 2009 on the calendar for me to cover the last night of the Heaven and Hell tour, I never thought in a million years it would stand as not only the last Heaven and Hell performance (one would assume, anyway), but the last ever performance that Ronnie would ever give. I had total access to videotape the backstage action, stage gear, fan reaction, and whatever tidbits the band would give me. After the concert, Tony was in no mood to chat, fresh off the lawsuit filing by Ozzy and Sharon, Geezer only made some jokes for Joe on camera, Vinny gave me a minute or two of his standard "Not Appice, it's aPIECE" routine, but Ronnie was the one who cleared a table, invited me over, and allowed me to have a short proper interview, which turned out to be the last backstage after-show interview of his life.

I had to wait a half-hour for this moment because of the endless parade of friends, acquaintances, and contest-winning fans who thanked Dio, shook his hand, had him sign a CD or two. There was a big family there with three or four young children and he doted on them like a grandfather. So much heart, so much compassion, I was in awe that this guy, at his age, finally ending a long tour, could keep going like that.

Look, let me put it this way. For the most part, once the show was over, Tony, Geezer, and Vinny went into shutdown mode. They signed autographs, too, but watching them it looked like an obligation they had to fill, no more. Ronnie didn't stop performing until the last person left the room. He was all about reaching out to people, moving them with his music, bonding with them with his words, and sharing his love in the kindest of terms. The fact that he was, in all likelihood, already living with cancer inside of him makes everything he did that night even more incredible to me.

As for the show itself, I got to see most of it in the pit where those pesky photographers get to stand, right up against the stage, but the band allowed me and my other cameraman to videotape the opening number that night "The Mob Rules". Joe and I have the only copy of this final night of performing for Ronnie James Dio and hopefully, with Wendy's permission we will be able to share it with you. I can tell you that for the purposes of filming, we we not allowed that close to the group so we had one camera on the floor way in the back and I stationed myself up in the balcony just off the side of the stage, so the angles are a little odd. I can say that Ronnie was as fiesty as ever on stage, and we captured an exchange on tape between himself and a douchebag fan that showcased his aggressive stage presence.

Anyway, I feel so honored to have had that opportunity, and to have had Ronnie's music to listen to all these years.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

I got to meet Ronnie 2 years ago at Vintage Vinyl in Fords NJ. He was one of the most gracious people I've ever met. The news of his passing today really hit me hard. A true legend has passed on. Heaven has gained a truly phenominal angel.

Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide, August 5th, 2007.

I already consider it an unforgettable night. Now it means even more. RIP Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbathstone View Post
    Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide, August 5th, 2007.

I already consider it an unforgettable night. Now it means even more. RIP Ronnie.

I feel the same way - having saw Heaven and Hell at their show in Newcastle. Absolutely magical night.

Just wish I'd been lucky enough to have met the man in person.

My first time at hearing Ronnie is far less metal than most people here.

I didn't hear him in Rainbow, in Sabbath, or in Dio.

I first heard his voice singing "Love is All" on an animated film clip from the Butterfly Ball project of Roger Glover (of Deep Purple fame) - it was a stopgap between the kiddie shows on ABC tv in Australia at the time - I would have been around 8 or so then.

To this day though, the song of Ronnie's that I hold as my favourite is Children of the Sea - it's absolutely magical - and when they played it in Newcastle - a lot of the older fans at the middle and back and those alongside me roared their heads off and we all sang along with Ronnie.

Can't believe we won't see him on stage again, it feels just so wrong.

If there's a rock'n'roll heaven, you know they got a hell of a singer in the band.......
    RIP Ronnie

Mob Rules tour in Omaha. Last in Line tour in Omaha. Dream Evil tour twice in Germany. Dehumanizer tour in Omaha and Strange Highways in Omaha. It did not matter if it was a crowd of 70,000 at Monsters of Rock in Germany or the Ranch Bowl in Omaha in front of 500 he was the best!

Seeing him live when I was fourteen on the Dehumanizer tour. Such stage presence and powerful voice from such a tiny man I was in awe of everything about the show but Ronnie always put so much energy into what he did. I saw him solo in 1997 and 1998 playing in front of a four or five hundred people both times. But he performed like he was entertaining an arena full of people. I also met him before the show in 1998 at a record store signing that afternoon. I got his autograph on the inside of the booklet of my 'Last In Line' CD.

I've loved everything musically Dio was involved in from Rainbow to H&H. There is very little he recorded that I didn't like. So most of all, my best memories are gonna be the music he's left behind for all of us to enjoy
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

THe "Heaven and Hell" album. The 2009 concert with that line-up of Sabbath.

the one and only concert i saw him in... he looked my way, i flashed the horns and he flashed me back! i was like a little school girl! (OMG OMG he flashed em back!) i cant believe that hes gone, but as with a quote about dime, just cause u cant see him dont mean he's not around! LONG LIVE RJD!
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Long Live Rock and Roll from Rainbow was my first musical memory of RJD. I'm 26 and I heard that song when I was like 10-12 years old and liked the song and after that album I started listening to his solo stuff, Sabbath, and Rainbow. I remember the Philly show from the DIO Years tour when they performed Shadow Of The Wind I flipped a bit because I love the song and he saw it and gave me the metal horns.

I remember how excited I was to hear that Dio and Sabbath would be writing new songs under the official Sabbath name. I remember I went to Wal-Mart the day 'The Dio Years' CD came out, buying it and listening to Ear In The Wall over and over and over. Up until the CD came out, I was bugging my mom constantly about her buying it for me and definitely being very open about how excited I was due to the new songs that were going to be featured on it.

My memory is a little fuzzy on when the first time I heard Dio, but I'm pretty sure it was the Last In Line album. My brother owned that album and he gave it to me back in like 2001 or somewhere around there, listened to it and did so many times after that. Infact, I just spun the same exact copy of that CD earlier today. I don't recall when the first time was that I heard any of his material with Sabbath though. I know it was sometime before 'The Dio Years' set came out though.

I remember buying the 'Holy Diver - Live' DVD sometime very soon after it came out and watching it quite a bit. I also remember buying the 'Live at Radio City Music Hall' DVD the day it came out as well. I still watch that DVD quite a bit to this day.

I very sadly never got the chance to meet him nor see him live in any way. I really wish I could have went to the Heaven & Hell show back in October of 2007 when they came here to Las Vegas.

One thing I can say for sure without having ever met him or anything, is that he was one of the most generous and humble human beings to ever grace this earth. He truly truly cared for and loved all of his fans. He was proud of his work, always put heart into it and truly loved what he did, and was humble about it. It takes a mighty man to be as humble as he was. One of the sweetest human beings, Dio was. As already mentioned, I still can't believe he's gone either. At least he got to put out one last great album and he went out on a good note with 'The Devil You Know'.

I, and many of us, never thought that the last date of the H&H tour last year would be his last tour date of his life. Words really can't express how sad all of this is.

Ronnie always inspired me, not necessarily musically, but just how he was as a person. He was so positive about things and just had a heart of gold.

It's sad that he didn't get to finish his book nor put out another album with his solo band, he really was looking forward to all that. He was so anxious to get back into being active and being up on that stage.
    Last edited by SabbathKing93; 05-16-2010 at 11:08 PM.

Infinitrium

About 5 years ago, I was in a used electronics store that also had a large selection of used cd's. I picked out The very beast of Dio and walked up to the counter to pay for it. The guy working there, who couldn't have been more than 20 years old, took a look at the cd and said "Dio, he is heavy metal. I must say that impressed the hell out of me to know that even younger people appreciate the true pioneers of metal music.

\m/ R.I.P. DIO \m/

Recorded moments - Stargazer. The music is incredible, but Dio's words and delivery totally bring it to life for me.

The whole Mob Rules album for me. I feel there's not a bad song on it. His lyrics are sometimes cryptic, but still flow and are poetic. And the power in his voice is incredible fronting Iommi, Butler & Appice.

Holy Diver is also on a similar level to that.

Dream Evil especially Night People, All the Fools, & Overlove.

Killing the Dragon

& The Dio Years/The Devil You Know.

I also loved his appearance in the Tenacious D movie. I thought his voice sounded better then normal on that. And his performance was just so kick ass in the film. I thought it was such a great thing for such a popular actor at the peak of his popularity like Jack Black was then, to acknowledge his love for Dio. And do it so enthusiastically.

My favourite Ronnie James Dio memories are:

1. Rainbow Rising:

Incredible album that was made for Ronnie. Even if he did get annoyed at the long instruemental solos on the B side of the album.

2. The Mob Rules:

Everyone goes on about the Heaven and Hell album, and although I agree it's a great album, The Mob Rules blew me away the first time I heard it. I was still a school kid and I felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland upon listening to it. It had an almost surreal and magical quality to it that just transported me away when I listened to it. Particularly tracks like Sign of the Southern Cross and Falling Off the Edge of the World.

3. Heaven and Hell live in Australia 2008:

This sadly was the only time I've ever seen Ronnie James Dio live. I couldn't believe how good he was live. He sounded exactly the same live as he did in the studio. I remember thinking to myself the next day how he was a far superior vocalist than Ozzy. I was so looking forward to seeing him live in concert again the next time Heaven and Hell toured and I wanted to bring my wife too. Regrettably, I cannot do that now.

4. His in your face attitude:

I've had a ball looking up Ronnie James Dio on youtube with all his interviews. He never minced words, he just blurted out everything that was on his mind. Ronnie was no diplomat. If he thought the Queen of England was a polished turd, he'd say it. He didn't obviously have a good temper but it made for great interviews.
    Last edited by WheelsOfConfusion; 05-17-2010 at 02:10 AM.

1) Hearing 'Live Evil' and feeling awe as it was my second ever Black Sabbath, and the first I herd to cover a significant part of Black Sabbath's history!

2) Travelling through North Wales, through mountains and Castles and ancient historical sights with Rainbow's 'Stargazer' on repeat, again feeling awe-inspired!

3) Spending a slacker-summer when I was 17, playing video games and reading books on the Middle ages while alternating Rainbow's "On Stage" and Dio's "Anthology".

4) Putting on "Dehumanizer" while I was reading a book, and being too distracted by the power of 'Computer God'

5) Sleeping at my friend's house with "Heaven & Hell" on repeat and occasionally waking up on the same song 'Die Young'

Banned

When I first heard Dehumanizer...It was my first ever introduction to the world of Black Sabbath and Ronnie James Dio and all things heavy.

I will always cherish that album for the huge impact it had on me...One listen and I was hooked forever.

It took too long for me to go and see Ronnie live, but when I did back in 2004 it was like a surreal moment, standing face to face with my idol, sharing a moment in time with the greatest voice in the whole world took my breat away....

So many. My first Sabbath Album was Live Evil, the way he sings N.I.B. on it, so passionate... Also his vocals on Die Young on the Heaven & Hell Album.
    Voodoo on Mob Rules, Computer God's angry vocals on Dehumanizer.

Better in the Dark from Killing The Dragon, Rainbow in the Dark, Man on the Silver Mountain from Rainbow... there are just too many. He was one of the greatest singers in Rock history.

Then after I haven't heard much great new music all of a sudden Heaven & Hell come out of nowhere. The Devil Cried -> my mind just went like "F**K THEYRE BACK!"... I was really happy when I first heard those new songs. Even better, the do a new album. The vocals on Fear or Double The Pain... godlike... I'll miss him a lot.

Sorry if I wrote this post kind of confusing but there's so much memories coming up.

jeffBSbell

I remember being 8 years old in 1980 when metal was pretty much dead. I was already a heavy metal fan from the seventies with Ac/Dc, Sabbath, Rainbow, and Deep Purple. But these bands had fallen to the wayside with failing album sales. Bon Scott had passed away, Rainbow had turned pop-rock, Sabbath had fired Ozzy, and Deep Purple was pretty much nonexistent. The beginning of 1980 was magic with more to come. Ac/Dc released the now classic “Back in Black” album that took over the world; Ozzy released his best selling “Blizzard of Ozz” album with the late great Randy Rhoads. But no one knows what started the rebirth of metal in the eighties. It was Black Sabbath with their new vocalists, master of heavy metal singers, Ronnie James Dio. I remember when the album came out and in my young mind I knew that no one could ever replace Ozzy and that heavy metal music was over with, done, dead with the dinosaurs. I put the record on my old player and gave it a listen. No need to say that I loved it and listened to the album over and over after school, everyday. “Neon Knights,” “Heaven and Hell,” “Lady Evil, all of those tracks gave me more joy than any person could ever imagine. I was too young at the time to go the shows but my older brother got the opportunity to see Dio and Sabbath live in 1980; I was always jealous. My older brother passed away in 2001, and now his favorite singer has come to be with him and God in 2010. That is my best memory of Dio. I will never forget that year; the year my beloved metal came back in full force. The music that came out that year blew every soul on earth away. Thank you guys for bringing my metal back!

Frown

The first time I listened to Holy Diver. Absolutely powerful. From then on Dio has been in my eyes the greatest, most powerful and overall best singer in the world.
    R.I.P RJD

Seeing him and Sabbath on the Black & Blue tour, outdoors at a speedway. Some people in the crowd lit a huge cross on fire and started marching it to the stage. Dio, wihout blinking, shouted out, "anyone have any marshmellows..."

I am proud to have seen him twice with Sabbath, the first time in Helsinki in 2007. I was way up and away in the icehall (Jaahalli) yet I was absolutely enraptured by the band and by Ronnie. The second time, in 2009, I saw them again on TDYK tour in St. Pete's and though the sound was horrible I loved every moment of it. Myself and my work mate were headbanging and yelling like crazy - though I'm 28 and he's 30something - and I was singing every word until my throat was sore and then some. I remember the crowd was totally riotously enthusiastic during Follow the Tears and went absolutely berserk for Heaven and Hell (the song), and so did we. It was a fucking riot I swear. I went out almost deaf but grinning from ear to ear and on the way back in the car we blared Strange Highways on eleven. I hoped to see them once again sometime, when they would have made a new album.

It will never happen now.

But at least I have those memories and I will cherish them until I kick the bucket. If I ever have children, they'll never see someone like RJD - poor kids. But at least I could see and hear the Great One, if only fleetingly.

And on record, there are so many songs by and with RJD I love that it's pointless to list them all.
    "There's only one Black Sabbath... I like to call him Tony Iommi" - racer

I always loved Lonely Is The Word.