Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default Other Tributes (Musical World)

RITCHIE BLACKMORE-

On the sad news that Ronnie James Dio passed away May 16th.

Ritchie had this to say : "Ronnie had a unique and wonderful voice. He will be sadly missed in the rock and roll world."- Ritchie Blackmore
    Last edited by Damian; 05-16-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default David Coverdale

"[I was] so very sad to hear of Ronnie's passing... My thoughts, prayers and condolence to his family and friends."
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

When was the last time RJD spoke to Blackmore?

a class act the 2 of them

Banned

Default Other Tributes (Musical World)

From Glenn Hughes

RONNIE JAMES DIO

It is a very sad day today... I have lost a very dear friend.

Ronnie was a true Leader of Heavy Metal... an Icon and a Visionary... there will never be another like him.

Ronnie gave me wisdom, and showed me great compassion when he was in ELF, all those years ago, when we were on tour together in my time in Deep Purple. He was a beautiful Soul, kind, considerate and a wonderful teacher.

Someday I'll be bringing your Microphone up there with me, and we'll sing a song, and share a Vindaloo together...

I'll miss you mate.

Your Pal,
    Glenn Hughes

And from good friend, DJ Eddie Trunk

16-May-10
    RONNIE JAMES DIO, Rest In Peace
    5/16/10: This is a blog I truly wish I was not writing. My hands are shaking on the keyboard so excuse the typos. I lost a dear friend today, someone who I loved way beyond just the brilliant music he gave the world for decades. Sadly it has been confirmed that Ronnie James Dio has lost his battle with cancer. In my 27 years in the business I have never met anyone like Ronnie. I am fully aware of people that I deal with, and people that deal with me, because it's the business and what we do, but Ronnie was way beyond that. Nobody ever gave me the public show of support and respect back like Ronnie, and our friendship went way beyond the business. I will never forget the first time I did a TV interview with him. I had done years of radio but when I first started as a host at VH1 Classic doing interviews under the show name "Hangin With..." Ronnie was one of the first to come in. I was wrapping up the interview and thanked him for coming by when he stopped me in mid sentence and said, "no, thank you, more artists should be thanking you because your the real deal and you keep us alive". On camera, out of nowhere, early on in my TV career. That was Ronnie James Dio. One of the classiest, most sincere, real people you could ever know. Sometimes it's hard to find nice things to say about people when they pass, not Ronnie, I could go on forever with similar stories and so can anyone else that had the honor to call him friend. I have memories and stories for a lifetime that I will cherish forever, way to many to get into here, especially in my current state as I type this. Video of the last time I saw Ronnie is on the home page of this site. It was at the Golden Gods in L.A. April 8th of this year. I had asked him to be a guest on TMS a few days earlier. Wendy called me the day before this interview and said he was not well and they were headed to the doctor. You could imagine how thrilled I was to see him on the red carpet for the awards the next day. He told me he had a bad reaction to a treatment but was okay. Needless to say I was hoping the same recovery would happen when news came my way early this morning that he was not well. Tragically it didn't. The man fought this as bravely as anyone could as you can see by how he looks and sounds in the clip. Ronnie and I spoke on the phone when he was first diagnosed privately. It was a great conversation. I always knew how he felt about me and after we spoke he knew how I felt about him. I really need to process this, it is a tough one to say the least. Between Rainbow, Dio and Sabbath his voice was consistently the most heard on my radio shows, and that will never change, the music truly will live on forever and I will see to that on my end for sure. To his fellow fans, friends and family I express my deepest sympathy for your loss and I shed the same tears as all of you today. My radio show this Friday night will be entirely dedicated to the music of Dio. I am working to rearrange some things to do the same for my satellite show tomorrow, however both Triumph and Michael Monroe who were schedule already arranged travel specific to be on. If I can reschedule I will, and tomorrow will be all Dio as well. If not I will still dedicate as much of the show as I can do RJD around the interviews. Either way we will celebrate his music and memory, for the next week or so, and for as long as I do what I do. We have lost a legend. A brilliant musician but way beyond that, and more importantly, one of the classiiest nicest people you could ever hope to know. Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed, but know I and so many more you touched will be sure you are never forgotten through your music and love and friendship you gave us all.

From Lars Ulrich -

Dear Ronnie, I just got off stage in Zagreb. I was met with the news that you've passed on. I'm kind of in shock, but I wanted you to know that you were one of the main reasons I made it onto that stage to begin with. When I first saw you in Elf, opening for Deep Purple in 1975, I was completely blown away by the power in your voice, your presence on stage, your confidence, and the ease with which you seemed to connect to 6000 Danish people and one starry-eyed 11 year old, most of whom were not familiar with Elf's music. The following year, I was so psyched when I heard the results of you joining forces with my favorite guitar player. You guys sounded so right for each other and I instantly became Rainbow's #1 fan in Denmark. In the fall of 1976, when you played your first show in Copenhagen, I was literally in the front row and the couple of times we made eye contact you made me feel like the most important person in the world. The news that you guys were staying in town on your day off somehow embedded itself in my brain and I made the pilgrimage to the Plaza Hotel to see if I could somehow grab a picture, an autograph, a moment, anything. A few hours later you came out and were so kind and caring... pictures, autographs and a couple minutes of casual banter. I was on top of the world, inspired and ready for anything. Rainbow came to Copenhagen a couple more times over the next few years and each time you guys blew my mind, and for a good three years were my absolute favorite band on this planet. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to run into you a half dozen times or so and each time you were as kind, caring and gracious as you were in 1976 outside the hotel. When we finally got a chance to play together in Austria in 2007, even though I may not have let on, I was literally transformed back to that little snot nosed kid who you met and inspired 31 years earlier and it was such a fucking honor and a dream come true to share a stage with you and the rest of the legends in Heaven and Hell. A couple of weeks ago when I heard that you were not going to be able to make it to the Sonisphere shows that we would be sharing this June, I wanted to call you and let you know that I was thinking of you and wish you well, but I kind of pussied out, thinking the last thing you needed in your recovery was feeling obligated to take a phone call from a Danish drummer/fan boy. I wish I'd made that call. We will miss you immensely on the dates, and we will be thinking of you with great admiration and affection during that run. It seemed so right to have you out on tour with the so-called Big Four since you obviously were one of the main reasons that the four bands even exist. Your ears will definitely be burning during those two weeks because all of us will be talking, reminiscing and sharing stories about how knowing you has made our lives that much better.
    Ronnie, your voice impacted and empowered me, your music inspired and influenced me, and your kindness touched and moved me. Thank you.
    Much love,
    Lars

Banned

Default Ozzy

Nice to see Ozzy posting the following on his Twitter page

Rest in Peace Ronnie

Simple. Classy. Nice.

Banned

From SLASH's Facebook

Ronnie died at 7:45am this morning, but his music will live for eternity. \m/

RIP Ronnie James Dio, one of the best Heavy Metal singers of all time.

And Tom Morello from RATM? Audioslave has been Tweeting all day...

Rip Ronnie James Dio. One of rock's greatest singers. Cranking Mob Rules in his memory. Thanks Ronnie for rocking me like crazy.

CRANKING Dio in his memory. Neon Knights/Sign of Southern Cross/Mob Rules/Heaven n Hell/Holy Diver/King of Rock n Roll/Man on Silver Mountn

Fave Dio quote on his diminutive height: "It's not the size of the pencil, it's how big you write your name."

Lots of respect from the rock world.
    Last edited by devilmaycare; 05-16-2010 at 09:45 PM.

RE: OZZY--Biting my tongue. Lots to say about it, but another day.

edit--PLEASE do not post about this. By biting my tongue it may seem like I'm starting a debate, but I'm not. If my comment makes you want to weigh in, please DONT. This thread is now for us to share tributes that those in the music industry make, and Ozzy's is one of them. If you have a negative thought to share, please hold it for another time.

Thanks,
    D.
    Last edited by Damian; 05-16-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Concur with Damian.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Default Kiss

REMEMBERING RONNIE JAMES DIO

We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him.

Banned

From GIRLSCHOOL

ON BEHALF OF ALL OF GIRLSCHOOL, R.I.P. RONNIE JAMES DIO, YOU WERE A TRUE ROCK AND ROLL LEGEND, YOU WILL BE SORELY MISSED, OUR HEART GOES OUT TO RONNIE AND WENDY'S FAMILY AND FRIENDS AT THIS SAD TIME xxxx

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

And from his friends in JUDAS PRIEST

We are filled with great sadness at the terrible news about our friend Ronnie James Dio - our condolences and love go to Wendy and Ronnie's family - Ronnie was a wonderful man and will be sorely missed.

ROB, GLENN, K.K., IAN & SCOTT
    16th May, 2010

Girlschool, I believe were one of the support bands for Dio's first Black Sabbath UK tour back in 1980.

I wonder if he's going to be jamming with Kelly Johnson.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Geezer Butler:

"GOODBYE MY DEAR FRIEND"

Quote Originally Posted by Mats GBG View Post
    Geezer Butler:

"GOODBYE MY DEAR FRIEND"
    Awww, that really sucks. It's bad enough that Ronnie's gone, but my man Geezer's pain makes it all the worse. Many people with good taste suffer mightily now.

Default tribute from BRIAN MAY

A fulsome tribute from brianmay.com

It's a shock to hear that Ronnie has gone. Even though we had all known he was battling with cancer for some time, he was such a wiry fighter, and of such an amazingly optimistic nature, I think I assumed he would go on forever.

Well, he fought to the very end ... was gearing up to go back out on tour ... I know this will be a very hard blow for my friend Tony Iommi. When I last saw Ronnie in Los Angeles, he was as full of life and positivity as anybody I've ever known ... and sang up a storm with Heaven and Hell in the Universal Amphitheatre. In my opinion, Ronnie was one of the creators of the genre of Heavy Metal. I'm not an expert on his work - there are many people much more knowledgeable than me ... but our paths crossed many times over the years, and I had clear glimpses of his unique spirit and personality. He was in many ways the antithesis of the current mould of TV-bred singers. He had no apparent desire for fame, in the sense that so many X-factor contestants seem to. He was not a TV face, a 'celebrity'. He just loved doing what he did. So, to his millions of fans, there was an unquestionable feeling of reality to his persona, his song-writing, and his performances. His lyric-writing was very distinctive, and set a style in Heavy Metal which has influenced many bands over the years. To me, it was as if his mind operated in layers - on the surface, a hard-working honest singer, with a great humanity and strong sense of humour - and underneath, in the world of his songs, his subconscious seemed to be populated by hobgoblins of all kinds, and palpable evil forever on the march. His lyrics, dark and mysterious, in tune with the Metal ethos, always represented the sword of goodness in triumph over evil. I don't know if he invented the Devil-Horn Salute, but he was certainly the man who, more than ever, made it a universal symbol, a world wide salute of Metal. He was universally loved in the community of Rock Music, and will be sorely missed.

It's heartening to see how revered and loved Ronnie James was in the Heavy Metal family. It's too bad metal is still kept in the shadows at award shows and mainstream media, considerring the great talents that make it up. Like Ronnie said when he accepted the Golden God award, for best metal band...oh, given out eralier today.... I've been a preponent for RJD in the R&R HOF for years, I truly hope to see it happen. I know from interviews and stories that Geezer was very close to Ronnie, and vice versa, he loved Geezer's dry sense of humor. I hope rock radio honors RJD by playing his music from all eras today and in the days to come. No breaking into Heaven for you you Ronnie, the gates are open I'm sure...

"And when you walk through Golden Halls, you get to keep the gold that falls...!"

Lesr not forget the countless of singers he inspired with his unique and powerful voice!

JOE HASSELVANDER (Raven, Pentagram, Death Row)

"Today we mourn the loss of singing legend Ronnie James Dio. He succomed to his long fight with cancer early this morning. Our hearts and prayers go out to Wendy!"

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

TONY IOMMI

"Yesterday 16th May my dear, dear friend Ronnie James Dio passed away at 7.45am LA time. I’ve been in total shock I just can’t believe he’s gone. Ronnie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, we had some fantastic times together. Ronnie loved what he did, making music and performing on stage. He loved his fans so much. He was a kind man and would put himself out to help others. I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever. Our thoughts are with Wendy Dio who stood by Ronnie until the end, he loved her very much. The man with the magic voice is a star amongst stars, a true professional. I’ll miss you so much my dear friend."

Doogie White:

"A very great man lost his life today.

Ronnie James Dio was one of, if not the greatest singer I ever heard. I remember trembling when I heard Rainbow Rising such was the passion and energy not only from Ritchies guitar but from that voice that shone above all else.

He was also a jolly decent chap who had time for all fans come rain, wind or shine.

I first met Ronnie 10 years or so ago and he said " Ah! so ( maybe he had been in Japan) you are Doogie, I know who you are but never knew what you looked like. Come in son and have a glass of wine, is red okay?" This was back stage at the Wembley Arena. He dedicated Man On The Silver Mountain to me that night saying "to my new friend Doogie, you may have sung it, but I sang it first".

We met a few times after that and discussed the loss of his thumb in the bizzare gardening accident. We agreed gardening was the new RnR. I had a tremendous affection for the man. He was kind, considerate and wonderful fun.

My thoughts at this time go out to Wendy and to the extended Dio family. You do know how much he was and is loved, for his music, his singing, his humanity.

Catch the Rainbow.. Ronnie..Catch the Rainbow."

from Iron Maiden (ironmaiden.com)

Ronnie James Dio R.I.P.
    Published: May 17, 2010

It is with huge sadness we hear that Ronnie has lost his battle against stomach cancer, and our heartfelt condolences go out to his wife Wendy and family at this terrible time. From his earlier years in Elf and Dio, right through to his most recent days fronting Heaven and Hell, Ronnie, time and again, proved his genius as frontman, always giving his all to his fans and his music. Ronnie was not only an incredibly gifted singer but also a wonderfully warm, intelligent and generous person and this shone through both on and off stage leaving a positive mark on everyone he came into contact with. A longstanding friend of Maiden, we played many shows together over the years and we will all miss him greatly.

The world has lost an irreplaceable talent and, first and foremost, one of the finest human beings you could ever wish to meet.
    Steve, Bruce, Adrian, Dave, Janick, Nicko and Rod
    Last edited by Cosmiceddie; 05-17-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Default From (the man) Tony Iommi

BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL guitarist Tony Iommi has released the following statement regarding the passing of his bandmate, legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Yesterday 16th May my dear, dear friend Ronnie James Dio passed away at 7.45am L.A. time.

"I've been in total shock; I just can't believe he's gone.

"Ronnie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. We had some fantastic times together.

"Ronnie loved what he did, making music and performing on stage. He loved his fans so much. He was a kind man and would put himself out to help others.

"I can honestly say it's truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years.

"His music will live on forever.

"Our thoughts are with Wendy Dio [Ronnie's wife/manager] who stood by Ronnie until the end. He loved her very much.

"The man with the magic voice is a star amongst stars, a true professional.

"I'll miss you so much, my dear friend."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140174
    "I can honestly say its truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Quote Originally Posted by H&H View Post
    BLACK SABBATH/HEAVEN & HELL guitarist Tony Iommi has released the following statement regarding the passing of his bandmate, legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"Yesterday 16th May my dear, dear friend Ronnie James Dio passed away at 7.45am L.A. time.

"I've been in total shock; I just can't believe he's gone.

"Ronnie was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. We had some fantastic times together.

"Ronnie loved what he did, making music and performing on stage. He loved his fans so much. He was a kind man and would put himself out to help others.

"I can honestly say it's truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years.

"His music will live on forever.

"Our thoughts are with Wendy Dio [Ronnie's wife/manager] who stood by Ronnie until the end. He loved her very much.

"The man with the magic voice is a star amongst stars, a true professional.

"I'll miss you so much, my dear friend."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140174
    I already posted this quote.

JINX DAWSON (Via Facebook)

"My father died of cancer also after a 7 year battle where I was constantly by his side...I hold no grudge with Ronnie...So I shall just say I am pleased he liked Coven enough to copy us...\m/"

Quote Originally Posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
    I already posted this quote.

JINX DAWSON (Via Facebook)

"My father died of cancer also after a 7 year battle where I was constantly by his side...I hold no grudge with Ronnie...So I shall just say I am pleased he liked Coven enough to copy us...\m/"
    And to think I combed the thread 3 times too make sure and missed it. I guess cause it was an addition I missed it.

Oh well, It's Iommi.
    "I can honestly say its truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

A couple from outside the metal world (both via Twitter)

Joe Bonamassa:
    In 2001 Ronnie James Dio took the time to be encouraging to his opening act that he never heard of in Chicago. That was me. The world has lost a legend and a gentleman in the truest definition of the word

Rob Thomas:
    R.I.P. RONNIE JAMES DIO. so sad. a true legend.
    song of the day: THE LAST IN LINE - RONNIE JAMES DIO (Rob puts a song of the day up everyday usually associated with what he is doing or how he is feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by H&H View Post
    Oh well, It's Iommi.
    Good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    Nice to see Ozzy posting the following on his Twitter page

Rest in Peace Ronnie

Simple. Classy. Nice.
    I came across this earlier:
    http://www.monstersandcritics.com/pe...es-Dio-s-death

Ozzy looks solemn following Ronnie James Dio`s death
    Ozzy Osbourne shopped solemnly for clothes just hours after learning of rocker Ronnie James Dio’s death.

Osbourne, Dio’s Black Sabbath predecessor, was stony faced as he accompanied wife Sharon to the Malibu Country Mart in California.

Dressed in his trademark black clothes and sunglasses, the British singer carried bags of shopping from the James Perse boutique. Sharon, also in black, followed behind.

“Ozzy did not seem himself at all,” one eyewitness said.

“He was walking in and out of the shop, clearly agitated. Sharon was really having to look after him and lead him around.

“He didn’t smile once. It was obvious something was wrong.”

Heavy metal legend Dio died yesterday (Sunday), aged 67, after losing his battle with stomach cancer at a hospital in Houston, Texas.

The singer replaced Ozzy in Black Sabbath in 1979.

Ozzy took to his Twitter page to pay tribute to Dio, writing: “Rest in peace Ronnie.”
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Just saw this From King Diamond - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140218

Danish heavy metal vocalist King Diamond (KING DIAMOND, MERCYFUL FATE) has issued the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW):

"It's with a heavy heart that I pay my respects to Ronnie James Dio.

"What an amazing singer and entertainer.

"Throughout my career, he has always been in my top 10 list of vocalists. The mystery and emotion in his vocal style always lured me in for more.

"Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but, fortunately, I did have the extreme pleasure of experiencing his uncanny frontmanship in concert so many times I can't even count it. I saw him with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and almost had one of my wishes fulfilled when HEAVEN & HELL asked KING DIAMOND to go on tour with them in the USA last year. Unfortunately, my back problems prevented that dream from coming true.

"I always had the highest respect for him and he will forever have his music playing in my home.

"My deepest sympathy goes out to Ronnie's family.

"I wish you a safe journey to the other side."
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Henry Rollins:

05-16-10 Brandon SD: 1815 hrs. Backstage at the venue. Listening to Rainbow. Tonight’s walk in CD is burning away in my laptop. All Dio all night. Ronnie James Dio, the great vocalist of Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, DIO and Heaven & Hell passed away this morning. What a loss. I have been getting mail all afternoon about it. Yesterday about this time, there was an internet rumor of his passing and it was great to hear that it wasn’t true. I came back from the gym a few hours ago and Angel, our merch man told me that it was indeed true. What a voice, what a loss. Dio’s passing made me think of my old bandmates in Black Flag as we used to listen to those records quite a bit. Damn, at least he left some amazing records behind. The Metal world is stunned, I am sure. Ronnie James Dio, one of the greatest singers ever

TURN UP THE NIGHT!!!! Thanks for reading this. Henry

Last edited by devstorm; 05-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Graham Bonnet:
    http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/05/17...enn-story.html

The rocker who replaced Ronnie James Dio in Rainbow has paid tribute to the late star, who lost his battle with stomach cancer on Sunday.

Graham Bonnet admits he felt "horrible" upon hearing the news that Dio had died at a Houston, Texas hospital, and he has released a statement offering his respects to his "good friend".

He writes, "I want to thank him for being a good friend, and drawing the map for me, when I was in doubt of the role I would play in Rainbow.

"My musical background was so different from his but I listened and learned the way to be a replacement, as such and followed the master of hard rock singing... Thanks, Ron!!

"My love goes out to him and his family... Only one Ronnie!"
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

ROGER GLOVER:

Ronnie James Dio, RIP

Ronnie James Dio A huge part of my life just disappeared. Words are not enough, emotions are too much.

My sincere condolences to Ronnie's family and friends.

RG

http://www.rogerglover.com/home/6-me...s-dio-rip.html

Banned

Fellow Rainbow vocalist Joe Lynn Turner...

Such sad news about Ronnie James Dio's passing...I thought he was healing. We not only lost a legend but we lost a friend. Ronnie was a true gentleman of rock...always kind and giving. I was proud to know him....everyone he touched was raised higher. His energy and legacy will live on...and i ....as a fellow member of ...Rainbow...will continue to sing his praises and his songs. May god hold him in his hands...RIP.

I must said it really took my by surprise that in the morning news radio shows in Guadalajara, Mexico, one of the first notes they read, was about Ronnie's dead.

This city usually ignores all related to metal and rock music. Not today.

Thanks Gonzalo from RMX and the girl from Pulso Informativo (sorry, I forgot her name).

The departure of Ronnie is really moving souls...

http://www.gigwise.com/news/56382/Sl...nnie-James-Dio
    Slipknot's Corey Taylor told MTV that the music world had lost “a real talent and a genuinely great man”.

"Words cannot describe my sadness and music will never be the same without his voice and honesty,” Taylor added.

“He will always be an icon to heavy metal and hard rock.”

Slayer guitarist Kerry King, who saw Dio a month ago, said he was “lucky” to have known the singer, adding: “He will be hugely missed.”

In a statement, Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian described Dio as “the nicest man in metal”.
    http://www.gigwise.com/news/56367/KI...nnie-James-Dio
    In a statement, KISS said: "In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him.”

They added: “We will miss him."

Motley Crue’s bassist Nikki Sixx, who befriended Dio during a European tour, said in a message on Twitter that the musician had “inspired millions of us”.

He later told CNN: "Those of us that had the opportunity to know Ronnie can tell you what a wonderful and passionate man he was.”
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Sad, sad day. Will share some thoughts in the other thread. Some more tributes for now:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=55933

Exodus' Gary Holt - "What more can be said about Ronnie that hasn't been said by so many others. He was the kindest, most humble metal god I've ever had the pleasure and honor of touring with. I first met him at Foundations forum, about two to three weeks before our tour with them during the Dehumanizer tour, for about ten minutes while he waited outside for his cab. I introduced myself, said it was an all time honor to meet and tour with him and said see you soon. Fast forward to the first day of the tour, and he sees me and says "How are you doing Gary?". I would not have been offended if he never knew my name the whole tour, but he remembered it from a ten minute chat around three weeks earlier. We had many golden moments hanging out with him, while he allowed me to relentlessly badger him for stories about Ritchie Blackmore and the time spent singing for my favorite band, Rainbow. R.I.P., your impact on me won't ever be forgotten."

Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy (pictured at left with Ronnie) - "RIP Ronnie James Dio... one of the greatest of all time. Looks like Dime ('Dimebag' Darrell Abbott]), Randy (Rhoads), Cliff (Burton) and Bonzo (John Bonham) just scored the ultimate singer... this is one of the saddest days in metal ever."

Obituary - "Obituary would just like to say what a huge influence Dio was to this band and to the face of metal! He was one of the good guys in music and will be greatly missed! We had the opportunity, only once, to actually talk with Dio. He came up to us and I was amazed that he even knew who Obituary were! In that one, short converstion it was clear what a kind person he was. We no longer have Dio here with us, but we will have his music forever in our souls!"

Wolf - "We are very sad this day. We have lost THE greatest, most powerful and biggest voices in hard rock & metal. For Wolf, Ronnie James Dio, was/is a great inspiration and we will always keep his voice alive listening to his music. Some of us met him on several occations and he was always very nice and took the time to chat about music and the world. You will be sadly missed. May your music live on and on forever."

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

From Megadeth's Shawn Drover:

http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1461

May 16, 2010 - REST IN PEACE RONNIE JAMES DIO

I am at an absolute loss right now upon hearing that Ronnie has passed away. I had the pleasure of touring both Canada and America in 2007 when Megadeth toured with "Heaven and Hell" (Black Sabbath in my eyes) and I swear to you he is 1 of the nicest human beings I have ever met, period. Many a night on that tour, Glen and myself would have amazing conversation's with Ronnie about his career, etc. fully knowing he had probably told these stories 10,000 times to people and yet he answered every question I had with a big smile. I can recall so many times making eye contact with Glen sharing the exact same thought - "Dude, I can't believe we are hanging with RONNIE JAMES DIO!!!!!" If you are lucky enough in your lifetime to actually meet 1 of your idols (let alone tour with them) and they turn out to be even nicer than you could have envisioned, that is something you would truly treasure. Lucky for me, I will cherish those memories forever...................
    And Dave Ellefson:

http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1462

May 16, 2010 - LONG LIVE RONNIE JAMES DIO

Of course our bright beam from the tour's glow was dimmed today when we learned of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. He was truly one of the 'good guys' in this business and a consummate pro, someone we can all take a que and learn from. We are all fans of his and he did many great things for Megadeth and its members, starting starting as far back as his "Dream Evil" North American tour in which we were the support band during the "So Far, So Good...So What" tour.

Our prayers go out to him and his family at this time.

From Mike Portnoy (drummer of Dream Theater, Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Expierment + filling in on the new Avenged Sevenfold album and tour)

RIP Ronnie James Dio...one of the greatest of all time

More words from Ozzy:

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. Metal has truly lost one of its greatest voices. My heart goes out to his family and to his many fans.

Love and respect.
    source

Holy Fucking shit. this is unreal. I remember seeing heaven and hell (black sabbath) at the bell center on the reunion tour and crying when everyone was chanting the heaven and hell riff,i didnt know that would be the first and last time i would ever witness legends of the heavy metal genre. I fucking miss you Dio,WE ROCK!
    R.I.P. Ronald Padavona,Ronnie James Dio,DIO,Legend.

More coming...from Lizzy Borden:

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=55960

Los Angeles act Lizzy Borden has checked in with the following remembrance of Ronnie James Dio, who passed away due to stomach cancer:

"So sorry to hear about Ronnie James DioWe played some festivals with Dio over the years and at everyone my band and I would always be in the audience after our show watching the master at work, and he was always perfect One of my great memories of Ronnie was the first night we ever got played on the radio; it was at a Dio show. He was playing 2 shows in one night and we were out in the parking lot waiting for the 2nd show to start along with a few thousand others, and then bam! Our song came blasting on the radio out of every car in the lot. It was a night I will never forget and the Dio show that followed was magical!

"Ive seen Ronnie perform many times and em grateful that I had the opportunity to be on the side of the stage at the last Heaven and hell show in CA. Ronnies voice was so loud, so powerful and pitch perfect, it was truly an amazing thing to witness. We recorded our version of 'long live rock and roll' way back on our first ep and we still close our show with it most nights There will never be another like him; Ronnie was a master of his trade, a true original and every time I flash those horns, (which is a lot) I will be thinking of the Man on the silver mountain, Ronnie James Dio."
    And King Diamond...

http://www.metalunderground.com/news...m?newsid=55961

King Diamond has checked in with the following thoughts about the recent departure of famous metal musician Ronnie James Dio:

"Its with a heavy heart that I pay my respects to Ronnie James Dio. What an amazing singer and entertainer. Throughout my career, he has always been in my top 10 list of vocalists. The mystery and emotion in his vocal style always lured me in for more. Unfortunately, I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but fortunately I did have the extreme pleasure of experiencing his uncanny frontmanship in concert so many times I cant even count it.

"I saw him with ELF, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and almost had one of my wishes fulfilled when Heaven and Hell asked King Diamond to go on tour with them in the USA last year. Unfortunately my back problems prevented that dream from coming true. I always had the highest respect for him and he will forever have his music playing in my home. My deepest sympathy goes out to Ronnies family. I WISH YOU A SAFE JOURNEY TO THE OTHER SIDE."

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

From Bob Daisley's site:

Today, with the sad passing of my friend and colleague, the world has lost a great man. Not only was he a unique singer, musician and writer, he was a very special human being. Long live Rock n Roll and long live the memory of the great Ronnie James Dio. Hell be sadly missed in many ways, bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by necrospasms View Post
    More words from Ozzy:

source
    I think that was very classy of Ozzy.

On the other hand, I was a little... underwhelmed by what Ritchie Blackmore had to say.

On another note, New Yorkers will recognize Fingers (from the old "Fingers Metal Shop"). He had some nice things to say about Dio this afternoon on WBAB.