Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by evermoving View Post

Which brings me to the question... now that all of the other people I expected to say something have done so, where the hell is Manowar? I would have expected Joey DeMaio to release some kind of a statement.
    In regards to Manowar... I've been listening to "MASTER OF THE WIND" alot since Dio passed.
    That song is pretty Dio-esque, and the lyrics are pretty pertinent if you think of it in terms of death in general.

Quote Originally Posted by necrospasms View Post
    In regards to Manowar... I've been listening to "MASTER OF THE WIND" alot since Dio passed.
    That song is pretty Dio-esque, and the lyrics are pretty pertinent if you think of it in terms of death in general.
    Indeed, it's a wonderful song. As for Manowar, I don't actually think anyone should be forced to release statements about Dio, so I could hardly blame them if they don't release one. It's just that Joey DeMaio used to be a roadie for Sabbath and he also presented Dio with a lifetime achievement award at the Wacken festival a few years back so I figured he'd say something. But yeah, no biggie.

Anyway, Ann Boleyn of Hellion offered some kind words on her myspace:

"I am devastated by the passing of Ronnie James Dio.

Ronnie was my mentor.

I'll always remember being at Mate's Rehersal Studios and knowing that Ronnie James Dio was coming to listen to Hellion rehearse. Ronnie didn't want to make us nervous, so he stayed outside and just listened.

A while later he produced our demo. I'll always remember being at Sound City Studios in Van Nuys, California, making the demo ("Run For Your Life" and "Get Ready") and having Ronnie tell me to "Stand up and Shout!" I learned so much from him --- about singing the words like you are telling a story --- and meaning it.

I'll never forget the experience of opening-up for Whitesnake & Dio --- and then seeing two of my favorite singers in the world ---David Coverdale & Ronnie on either ends of the stage watching. These experiences were something I'll never forget.

I remember watching sports with Ronnie. He was a huge basketball fan. He knew that all of the members of Hellion were sports fans, so for Christmas he and Wendy gave the Hellion members the Sony portable "Watchman TVs" --- so we could watch sports even if we were rehearsing, in the studio, or on the road.

Those were the days!

Not too long ago I had some drinks with Wendy Dio, my old friend Sheila from Niji Management, Vinny Appice, and some others. We all thought Ronnie was going to make it.

I was at the Golden Gods Awards a few weeks back and was disappointed when I heard that I'd just missed Ronnie. People who were there commented that he appeared tired and was leaving early. I certainly understood, but didn't worry much. (My mom beat cancer, and I remember her being tired when she was fighting it.)

I got worried when I heard the news that the tour had been cancelled. I made a couple calls, but got no response. For some reason, on Saturday, I became worried, not hearing anything for a while. I didn't want to bother Wendy or the family, so I posted on a couple websites on Saturday.

I talked to a person who was at the hospital Saturday night. I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to say a final good-bye. But, I am glad Ronnie's pain is over.

My heart is with Wendy, the musicians who have played with and been influenced by Ronnie, the crew, the management office, and his family and friends.

Ronnie will live on in my heart forever."

Krist Novoselic:
    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/rever...05/big_dio.php
    As a teenager in Aberdeen in 1980, I was consuming as much heavy rock music as possible. The heaviest band was Black Sabbath. And I was introduced to their music through the compilation record, We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'N' Roll at the Salvation Army thrift store, of all places. For 50 cents, I got a piece of vinyl that blew my mind. Soon after, I went to the record store proper and bought the "new" Sabbath album, Heaven and Hell. This record rocked my world, but it was different because the vocalist was not Ozzy Osbourne, but Ronnie James Dio, a heavy-metal pioneer who died of stomach cancer on Sunday, May 16.

I didn't know he was ill and was sad to hear the news. Dio is a giant in the world of heavy metal. I bought Heaven and Hell and couldn't "play the hell out of it"--mystery and magic are a big part of the Dio legend--no, I'll say I played it constantly. I even gave it a spin on Sunday night in honor of Dio. The tune "Neon Knights" never sounded better.

Sabbath were the lords of darkness, even more so with working with Dio. He sang about "a lady who feeds the darkness, it eats right from her hand." There were all kinds of mystical/witchy images, but I was hardly a devil-worshiper as a result. As far as influences go, the album cover (with angels smoking cigarettes) of Heaven and Hell might have contributed to my delinquency. I bought it at the same time I started smoking with the other teenage misfits hanging out on the corner. This music was our soundtrack.

Then came 1981's Mob Rules, another solid rocker. The influence was about the music itself. Listening to the title track I love the interplay between the bass and the guitar. Their dynamic comes together in a monster sound. And I can't imagine "Mob Rules" being sung by anyone else than Dio.

Those two Black Sabbath albums stand on their own as great rock. I consider them the "Dio" Sabbath records. I got into the Sabbath catalog at the same time. I probably heard Mob Rules before 1975's Sabotage. It all came together because it all rocked.

Dio left the band to go solo. I heard the song "Rainbow in the Dark" and bought 1983's album Holy Diver. Of course, the cover had a demonic theme--a devil casting a Catholic priest into rough seas. At the same time, I was discovering American hardcore music. Now 18, I started to drift away from heavy metal.

But what a coincidence that my path took me to the recording studio in Van Nuys, Calif., where in 1991 Nirvana recorded Nevermind. There was a Holy Diver gold record on the wall commemorating the fact that Dio made that recording in the same place. Wow, a Lord of Rock had consecrated this ground! I don't know if it was really mystical, but there is no doubt Dio's music was heavy.

Ronnie James Dio, may you rest in peace. Thanks for all the great rock. I need to get up now and flip over the Heaven and Hell vinyl.
    >>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

shit, me too, I heard it more than anything else in the last few days. Exactly that song. Perhaps it's that "fly away to a rainbow in the sky" line, or the "nothing is as bad as it seems".

But I start to become disappointed with Manowar. There is no obligation, but the history together (including a joint tour back in the day), and the "fight for true metal" talk, should mean something.

This is from John,on behalf of the band,from the Solitude Aeturnus blog

Like most everyone I know, I am in a great state of sadness. Ronnie James Dio was the ultimate Heavy Metal figure. Why? Because he conducted himself the way every one of us should; treating fans and friends with respect above and beyond the call of the duty (b.t.c.o.d) and giving his best to us at all times. Oh, and lets not forget that he was the BEST! A true professional and a model human being. Make no mistake, the prime influence and building block in Solitude Aeturnus was/is and always will be Dio era Black Sabbath. Thank you Ronnie and family for all that youve given to us. We are grateful and strive to live by your example.

John Perez/Solitude Aeturnus
    Something's calling me back,Like a light in the black
    Yes, I'm ready to go,I'm coming home, home, yeah
    I've got my way back home,To the sky

Banned

Alex Skolnick of Testament has posted this on his blog:

"This past weekend, we lost Ronnie James Dio, not only one of the best singers in hard rock and heavy metal, but someone who was polite, well spoken and gentlemanly, something of an anomaly in a genre where 'bad-boy' behavior is embraced and expected of its frontmen.

"When someone of his stature of passes away, there is a collective void felt by millions of fans, creating a sense of unity. This feeling takes on an even more sad, surreal quality when it is someone that you were on a first-name basis with.

"Twice I had the magnificent fortune of being on the same bill with Ronnie. On both these tours, the differing schedules of his band — BLACK SABBATH in 1992 and HEAVEN & HELL in late 2008 (same band, different name) — made our encounters infrequent, as is often the case with headliners and support acts. But whenever we did bump into each other, he always went out of his way to say hello.

"His knack for remembering everybody’s names was nearly as legendary as his vocal ability. He remembered everyone on the crew, everyone's friends, wives and girlfriends and made each person feel the center of attention when he spoke to them. So while we did 'know' each other, I don't pretend to have known Ronnie well. It's not as if we ever spoke by phone.

"Actually, that's not true…

"One day, I was trying to reach my friend Lorenzo, who was on DIO's sound crew. This was the early '00s and our tours were crossing paths in Cleveland. I'd been unable to make the DIO concert, but another friend of mine went to the show and bumped into Lorenzo, who told him to say hi to me and pass on his new phone number.

"When I called a day or so later, the voice didn't sound like Lorenzo's. 'Alex Skolnick! How are you? I've always liked your guitar playing.' He asked what I was up to and how this person was and how that person was, asking me to please say hello to these people for him. This guy obviously knew me and others I knew, but I didn't recognize his voice. Who could it be? I hesitantly asked. He laughed and said 'Alex, it's Ronnie Dio!'

"My jaw dropped. He explained that either he'd lost his cell phone and had been borrowing Lorenzo's or vice versa (I forget), then nicely offered to pass on the message and have him call me, then we said goodbye. Whatever the situation was, I barely processed it and it scarcely mattered…I was on the phone with Dio!

"I immediately thought of the DIO concert I attended in 1984 in San Francisco, the first concert I ever went to without adult supervision. I remember asking my father for permission. He didn't understand who I was talking about. 'DEVO?' he asked.

"A friend and I took BART (the metro train) to the concert which was held at the Cow Palace Arena.

"The DIO album 'Holy Diver' had become part of the soundtrack for my high school years and those of countless other teens of the mid-'80s. Seeing him live, I felt for the first time like I was hearing music for my generation.

"Although DIO's draw would shrink somewhat in the '90s (thanks in part to the music industry's collective turn against '80s hard rock acts) Ronnie James Dio still stands as one of a small handful of vocalists in the hard rock/metal genre who was ever able to sell out arenas under his own name. The other two that come to mind are Ozzy Osbourne, whom he replaced in BLACK SABBATH, and Alice Cooper.

"When he emerged on the national scene in the '70s, he sang with enough rasp, grit, dirt and guttural quality to stand side by side with throaty greats of the time such as Bon Scott of AC/DC. But unlike Scott and others, whose sound was fueled by cigarettes, bourbon, and other, less legal substances, Ronnie took care of his voice with a discipline on par with an opera and Broadway singer. Never a 'notorious rock star' like his contemporaries, he lived his life in moderation, resulting in an unshakeable constancy and flawless execution that concertgoers could count on, right up until the end.

"Indeed, at the 'Metal Masters' shows [featuring HEAVEN & HELL, JUDAS PRIEST, MOTRHEAD and TESTAMENT] barely a year and a half ago, the universal consensus was that Ronnie, then in his mid-60s, had never sounded better. On that tour, I frequently found myself standing on the grass with friends after our set, listening to Ronnie, Tony [Iommi], Geezer [Butler] and Vinny [Appice] filling the star-filled August sky with songs like 'Heaven And Hell', 'Children Of The Sea' and 'Neon Knights'. It was about as perfect a summer evening as one can imagine. Now Ronnie is a part of that star-filled sky.

"He will forever be missed and remembered."

This part here is like the definition of the kind of man Ronnie was:

"When I called a day or so later, the voice didn't sound like Lorenzo's. 'Alex Skolnick! How are you? I've always liked your guitar playing.' He asked what I was up to and how this person was and how that person was, asking me to please say hello to these people for him. This guy obviously knew me and others I knew, but I didn't recognize his voice. Who could it be? I hesitantly asked. He laughed and said 'Alex, it's Ronnie Dio!'

A great read all in all from Alex, very touching.

Quote Originally Posted by The_WRIT View Post
    from imotorhead.com

"I'm truly upset, especially since he seemed to be rallying at the Golden Gods show. Bon Voyage, Ronnie, rest in peace. I'm devastated"

Lemmy
    Great pic:

>>TECHNICINS F SPCE
    SHIP ERTH THIS IS
    YR CPTIN SPEKING
    YR PTIN IS DEA˝D<<

Tobias Sammet (Edguy/Avantasia)

http://www.tobiassammet.com/eng/index.php

May 17, 2010
    RONNIE JAMES DIO REST IN PEACE
    Yesterday I have been informed about the sad news of Ronnie James Dios passing on Sunday, May 16th, 7:45 AM. It is impossible to find any words for what went through my head and what Ronnie means for me as a vocalist, and as a fanboy too. He gave us so much enchanting music, poetic lyrics and great vocals. To me he was the epitome of the perfect Heavy Metal vocalist. With Edguy we have had the chance to share the stage with Ronnie on several occasions and so Ive been given the opportunity to meet him about ten years ago. He was a very nice person with a tremendous charisma who made you feel very appreciated in his environment. I wanted to have him on several Avantasia albums but the schedule never allowed it, he was always busy, always had many things on his schedule, a real workaholic and full of visions and enthusiam. Ronnie, you will always be remembered as one of the biggest vocalists in the history of music! RocknRoll will never forget you - Rest In Peace!
    Where I was,I had wings that couldn't fly
    Where I was,I had tears I couldn't cry
    My emotions,Frozen in an icy lake
    I couldn't feel them,Until the ice began to break
    Bruce Dickinson-Tears Of The Dragon

Banned

Scott Warren's touching statement:

"How can I express what 17 years next to Ronnie now means to me? He has led me on an incredible journey. I have been blessed by his presence, and his voice. He was my surrogate father, my brother, my friend, my teacher AND my loyal advocate. Our fearless leader. He never let us down. He was never not out to prove it. Because he 'WAS' it. Just a class act. Life without him will never be the same. Yet it is not because of these things, that I know He IS in Heaven. But that's another story.

"I will miss you, my dear friend.

"RJD RIP"

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    Scott Warren's touching statement:

"How can I express what 17 years next to Ronnie now means to me? He has led me on an incredible journey. I have been blessed by his presence, and his voice. He was my surrogate father, my brother, my friend, my teacher AND my loyal advocate. Our fearless leader. He never let us down. He was never not out to prove it. Because he 'WAS' it. Just a class act. Life without him will never be the same. Yet it is not because of these things, that I know He IS in Heaven. But that's another story.

"I will miss you, my dear friend.

"RJD RIP"
    Probably was a very difficult thing for Scott to write this. Thank you very much for sharing.

"Yet it is not because of these things, that I know He IS in Heaven. But that's another story."

This is an interesting comment.

I know Dio has stated that he didn't believe in God but he believed there's a spirit world nevertheless. Maybe Dio meant that he didn't believe in God in some certain way that was offered to him by some church or some group of people. Maybe Dio has accepted God in his life and placed his hope in him many years ago, maybe just during his last months, weeks or even days. Who knows, maybe this issue will be presented to us later on.

According to my thinking, Dio is already writing & composing a new metal opera with his friends in heaven, leading this new house band with his voice!!!

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

CRIMSON GLORY: DIO 'Was Easily One Of The Most Influential Artists In Modern Music' - May 24, 2010

Florida-based melodic metal veterans CRIMSON GLORY have released the following statement regarding the passing of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio:

"Ronnie was a wellspring of immeasurable talent and a shining example of the persistence, hard work, dedication, passion and creativity that it takes to become a true legend in the music world. There has not been a kinder, classier, more well-spoken individual in the realm of hard rock and heavy metal, and it is fair to say that the only thing bigger than the man's voice was his heart.

"Ronnie James Dio was easily one of the most influential artists in modern music; that influence can be heard and felt in countless bands that have emerged over the last forty years, including us!

"With the recent passing of our own singer, Midnight, we deeply empathize with the shock and profound sadness that those close to Ronnie are experiencing right now. It is our hope that Ronnie's friends, band mates and family, especially his wife, Wendy, will find comfort and solace in each other's shared love, respect and fond memories of their time spent with him, as well as the knowledge that Ronnie is incredibly loved by scores of fans of all ages, all over the world."
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140533

Jack Black from Tenacious D

Dio has always been my favorite heavy-metal vocalist. Not just for his musical chops but also for the passion he poured into every performance. His use of beautifully haunting melodies leading to volcanic eruptions of raw rock power led to some of the great anthems of the genre.

When Dio, who died May 16 at 67, performed live, he would stalk the stage like a dragon slayer. His commitment and theatricality were spellbinding. As a teenager I was profoundly moved by the life-affirming fire of his songs. They were filled with glory. They made me want to climb mountains and battle demons.

To listen to Dio is to be transported to an ancient time of mystery and joy. His songs were an escape for millions of kids looking for release from the usual bull found on the FM dial.

I had a chance to work with him, and he was about as cool a person as you could hope to meet. He was generous and soft-spoken, humble and serene, and had a tremendous sense of humor.

Thank you, Dio.
    Last edited by TD Fan Tam; 05-25-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    "hungry for another bite of wrong"

A friend of mine lives in Poland, he says a journalist who has some important cultural radio show dedicated one full program to Dio. He had never done that for anyone before. The name of the guy is Cezary Lasiczka, the show is Wieczor Radia in TOK FM. The link is still up but only the spoken bits (for those of you fluent in Polish, which I'm not!)

http://www.tok.fm/TOKFM/0,93051.html

it's the one that says "Ronnie James Dio - jeden z bogw heavy-metalu"

Finland's Radio Rock presented a special show "Ronnie James Dio In Memoriam" on last Tuesday, the whole show is now downloadable as 10 parts in here:

http://heepfiles.info/rjd/

Thanks to Tapio Minkkinen of heepfiles.net!!!

Thanks to everyone for finding these great tributes and sharing them here!
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

This thread has touched me deeply. It is great to hear so many people speak of what a beautiful human being he was, not just a very talented singer.

Default Alice Cooper and Alice In Chains

Alice Cooper Interview :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcUy...layer_embedded

Alice In Chains:
    ALICE IN CHAINS paid tribute to legendary singer Ronnie James Dio at its concert in Glens Falls, New York Wednesday night (May 19). Bassist Mike Inez wore a vintage t-shirt from DIO's 1985 "Sacred Heart" tour (see photo below) and guitarist Jerry Cantrell dedicated the song "Nutshell" to both Dio and late ALICE IN CHAINS singer Layne Staley. At the end of the show, the RAINBOW classic "Man On The Silver Mountain" was played over the P.A. as the lights came up and the crowd left the arena.

Fan-filmed video footage of the "Nutshell" dedication from last night's concert can be viewed below.

A public memorial service will be held on Sunday, May 30 for Dio, who passed away last Sunday (May 16) from stomach cancer at the age of 67. The service will take place at the Hall Of Liberty at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, 6300 Forest Lawn Drive, in Los Angeles, beginning at 2:00 p.m. PT. Described as "a celebration of the life and music of Ronnie James Dio," the event is open to the public.

In other news, Dio's wife and manager Wendy has requested that in lieu of sending flowers, people can make a donation to the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund," care of the Niji Entertainment Group, 12400 Ventura Blvd. #624, Studio City, CA 91604, USA.
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140398

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm6w...layer_embedded

Time Magazine

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...990850,00.html
    Ronnie James Dio
    By Jack Black Monday, May. 31, 2010

Dio has always been my favorite heavy-metal vocalist. Not just for his musical chops but also for the passion he poured into every performance. His use of beautifully haunting melodies leading to volcanic eruptions of raw rock power led to some of the great anthems of the genre. When Dio, who died May 16 at 67, performed live, he would stalk the stage like a dragon slayer. His commitment and theatricality were spellbinding. As a teenager I was profoundly moved by the life-affirming fire of his songs. They were filled with glory. They made me want to climb mountains and battle demons. To listen to Dio is to be transported to an ancient time of mystery and joy. His songs were an escape for millions of kids looking for release from the usual bull found on the FM dial. I had a chance to work with him, and he was about as cool a person as you could hope to meet. He was generous and soft-spoken, humble and serene, and had a tremendous sense of humor. Thank you, Dio.

Black's band, Tenacious D, appeared in Dio's video for the song "Push"
    Thanks Ronnie
    Heaven and Hell - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiLtInN8EM
    Die Young - 8/29/2009 - House of Blues, Atlantic City
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41NOVVyqS0

Banned

The Queen of Metal, the awesome Doro Pesch has released this touching statement:

"I'm so sad and heartbroken it's still hard to even believe what has happened. It feels like losing one of my best friends.

"Ronnie was such an incredible inspiration to me both as a musician and as a person. His tremendous talent, the depth of his voice, his sincere personality… It's difficult to put into words the wonderful soul that he was to his friends and fans around the world. I've never seen a musician be as good to their fans the way Ronnie was.

"I'm so grateful that we were able to support DIO many times throughout the years.

"Ronnie meant the world to me. I love him so much and miss him so deeply.

"Rest in peace, Ronnie. Your spirit will live on forever. We love you."

Wheres Malmsteen?...
    he did things with Dio...at least two live concerts, covering Dream On, Gathering in Hear N'Aid...
    why is he just shutted up?

Yngwie did post a message on his website
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngwie Malmsteen
    Milan May 19th 2010

- Im deeply saddened by the devastating news. Ronnie was a dear friend and without a doubt the most brilliant of all Rock sirens. He lives forever in our hearts and will never be a equaled. Long Live Ronnie James Dio.

From one master to another, absolute class act Jon Lord himself:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140769

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Jeff Scott Soto:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkalleo9E5o

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Jon Lord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdkTBDMBQhE
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Banned

I think JSS is a criminally under-rated vocalist... He just works with the WORST people!

The Soul Sirkus thing was excellent as was the Beautiful Mess record...

I think he does a great job here with Holy Diver...

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    I think JSS is a criminally under-rated vocalist... He just works with the WORST people!

The Soul Sirkus thing was excellent as was the Beautiful Mess record...

I think he does a great job here with Holy Diver...
    Yes indeed, JSS is a stellar vocalist, he proved it long ago, this is one of the prime examples of his prowess...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnNfi...ext=1&index=20

Has anything been heard from Jimmy Bain, Claude Schnell, Teddy Cook or Rowan Robertson?
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    Has anything been heard from Jimmy Bain, Claude Schnell, Teddy Cook or Rowan Robertson?
    Rowan Robertson: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=140153

Finnish magazine Ilta Sanomat also conducted an interview with Rowan on their report of Dios passing. They had called and asked him if there was any unrealeased material from the Lock Up The Wolves era before RDJ's reunion with the Sabs. Robertson unfortunately denied it, thou it doesn't mean anything yet...
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth;

I just wanted to write a note about Ronnie James Dio and how much I will miss him.

Ronnie was the most genuine person I've ever met in the music industry. I think we've all had run-ins with our childhood heroes, and sometimes it can be a disappointing experience. This was definitely not the case with Ronnie, he was a wise, kind, and special person, and a dear friend that will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace brother, your spirit and music will continue to inspire generations to come.

Jon Schaffer

Quote Originally Posted by Sahand View Post
    Wheres Malmsteen?...
    he did things with Dio...at least two live concerts, covering Dream On, Gathering in Hear N'Aid...
    why is he just shutted up?
    This is posted on his website:
    http://www.yngwiemalmsteen.com/home.html
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Banned

Mike Inez of Alice In Chains has posted a very nice statement:

"I've never met a person in this profession who has inspired me more than Ronnie James Dio. He was just a great example of a man who not only loved the craft of making music but also he walked proudly through this crazy business with his head up and his shoulders back. Elegant. Professional. This man was a leader and a wonderful, wonderful human being. We are all very fortunate that he was one of those great men that truly found his calling in his life. He found his voice early on and spent his whole life sharing his journey with us. Trying his best every night to make our days just a little bit better, a little more magical. We were lucky to see and hear this great man traveling around the planet, plying his trade. Being a craftsman. Being... well, just being Ronnie.

"To just say that Ronnie Dio was a 'legend' or an 'icon,' ironically, would be selling this man extremely short.

"Even though he left us with an astounding and incredible body of work, his greatest gift is simply that he was 'one of us'... all of us. Or at least that good part in us that we should all try to nurture and grow."

The most important generalist German weekly magazine is Der Spiegel, widely read by the German intelligentsia. Some years ago it featured Ronnie James Dio in a short interview. In the 21/22 May edition, the Obituary starts with Dio. They don't do this for just anyone. In my translation:

Ronnie James Dio, died 67. The stylebreaking singer of several hard rock and heavy metal bands was the self-named "man of the devil's horns". The greeting with the pinky and indicator fingers extended, that make a symbolic devilhead, nowadays connects all metal fans, also when they are not satanistic. Dio, in fact Ronald James Padavona, started his career in the late 50s in a rockabilly band. He became famous in the 70s with hard rock bands such as Rainbow and Black Sabbath, before he became independent in the 80s with the project Dio. His stage charisma was legendary, and with his operatic singing style he defined an entire genre of metal singing, that emancipated itself from its blues roots. In November of 2009 it became known that the musician had stomach cancer. Ronnie James Dio died the 16th of May in Houston, Texas.

Jon lords tribute to ronnie (watch clip)

http://jonlord.org/

Thumbsup

I'm in some mental denial in thinking that he is not gone. But in my heart I know it's unfortunately true. But I accidentally, or shall I say on purpose, found another link to add to this marvelous thread:

Metallica, Black Sabbath, KISS, Ozzy Osbourne, and others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJqPni0mFk

Long Live the King of Rock N' Roll.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

From the TYRANT (US) facebook page

Saddened to hear of the passing of one of the greatest singers of all time. Had the pleasure of seeing him with both Black Sabbath and Heavy & Hell very recently, and he is and was by the far the best. Rest in Peace, RJD.

It always seemed to me that one of their songs "Fall Into the Hands of Evil" ,was a nod to Dio's writing ,in that it started with the line "There's a place south of nowhere,where nobody ever goes"
    Something's calling me back,Like a light in the black
    Yes, I'm ready to go,I'm coming home, home, yeah
    I've got my way back home,To the sky

glenn danzig during an interview:

"Speaking of which the metal community dealt with a huge blow with the losses of Peter Steele and Dio, what do you remember of them both?

Danzig: I remember co-headlining in '92 with Black Sabbath and at the time Dio was the singer. He was such a nice guy and an amazing singer. I have more of a history with Peter and Type O as we took them on the road with us in '94 on the Danzig 4 tour. Peter was a bit strange of course, but he was a very nice guy. Both will be missed very much. "

http://vampirefreaks.com/content/com...0with%20Danzig

Metallica tries Ronnies songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xJugYd0S8

finally, and in style. They were in South America, that's why it took them a little time, and also to prepare this I guess. And they reserved it for Dio's Memorial Day, which is fitting.

MANOWAR and friends salute Ronnie James Dio
    Sunday - May 30, 2010

Metal heavyweights MANOWAR will honor the legacy of Ronnie James Dio with "Magic - A Tribute To Ronnie James Dio".

MANOWAR bassist Joey DeMaio said "Heavy Metal has lost a great artist and a true gentleman. I had the privilege of being his friend and I, along with other friends and admirers, wish to honor him."

In addition to MANOWAR, the musical salute to the man who inspired heavy metal musicians all over the world, features performances by HolyHell, Metalforce, Awaken, Avigal, Crosswind, Dean Cascione, Harlet, and more.

The enhanced CD, part one of a two part tribute, will feature new interpretations of classics like 'Holy Diver', 'Heaven & Hell', 'I Speed At Night' and 'Catch The Rainbow' among others.

Quote Originally Posted by miracle View Post
    Metallica tries Ronnies songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xJugYd0S8

What a bloody disgrace :(

What a bloody disgrace :(
    actually, it was the best part of the entire concert

Quote Originally Posted by nunoni View Post
    actually, it was the best part of the entire concert
    I was referring to the actual link... which had them singing in mock falsettos; it just sounded terrible.