Default Dio=Singing..... but dio = bass/guitar??

ok so it is on wiki, and we all know that it can be BS.... but it says that Dio was Bassist for the first two bands he was in.... it also says that he could play trumpet and keyboard, my question is. does anyone know, or has anyone seen dio play anything mentioned above?
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

Yes he did. Here is a photo of him singing and playing bass that was up as his profile pic on facebook just a couple of days ago.

"I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

check The Early Years website

http://www.padavona.com/

From April 2009, a radio interview - RJD talks about it a little (hauling his own bass gear around, playing trumpet taught him to be a singer, etc):

http://www2.kisw.com/comment/reply/77181

All the best,
    PAULIE

Quote Originally Posted by H&H View Post
    Yes he did. Here is a photo of him singing and playing bass that was up as his profile pic on facebook just a couple of days ago.

no disrespect to the guy, but god he looks like a young billy connolly there.... (btw i love the both of em!)
    SDMF - CEMS for life!

i have actually seen a pic of him with an acoustic guitar.

i cannot remember exactly where it was, it may in be "The Elf Albums" sleeve notes, but I could be wrong. if it's not that, then it may be an interview somewhere on the web.

i have also read an interview where he discusses his early bands, and he discusses other instruments he plays, such as french horn, scratch saxophone, even drums.

if anyone knows which interview i'm on about, can they post a link.

I know he played bass on the first Elf album and keyboards on Holy Diver. He talked about never taking vocal lessons but knew music from trumpet lessons as a kid.

From a interview I learned he played bass for the "Angry Machines" songwriting sessions, when Jeff Pilson wasn't available at first.

Banned

Ronnie wrote a lot of songs with Bass guitar. I even remember in an interview once (might have when Magica came out, either that on Killing The Dragon) where he said that he actually wrote a lot of guitar riffs with bass.

In 1979, after Geezer left, Nicholls and Dio shared bass duties during the early rehearsals for what would become "Heaven and Hell".
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Lukehatton, There's a black and white photo of Ronnie playing an acoustic guitar in the "Holy Diver" liner notes.

Here is another great old Dio picture with bass guitar!

Last edited by Neon_Knight; 05-23-2010 at 05:38 AM.

RJD played guitar, bass, piano and several wind instruments.

I believe he was offered a scholarship to the prestigious Juilliard School of Music in New York City, but declined.
    He is not here. He has risen!