View Poll Results: Which song do you prefer: Children of the Sea or Children of the Grave?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of the Sea

73 65.18%
  • Children of the Grave

39 34.82%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Children of the Sea v. Children of the Grave

So which song do you enjoy more: Dio's or Ozzy's?

I vote for Children of the Sea.

I can't vote in this poll. I love them both equally. But while we're discussing "Children of the ____" songs, maybe you could throw in "Children of the Damned" by Iron Maiden.

You kill me, so I get you right back.

Oohhh... maybe that's a good idea? hehe

Sorry... I've spent about four hours listening to the 13-hour radio tribute to Dio, and I'm running out of things to do online haha

Actually, I've never heard that song. I'll check it out.

I am a HUGE Ozzy fan, but Dio's song is just FARRRRR better.
    7/22/04 - Nashville,TN
    9/2/05 - Charlotte,NC
    5/18/07 - Baltimore, MD
    8/16/08 - Pittsburgh,PA

This is almost asking us which era's best song is better, lol. Sometimes I think they're the best each one has done, other days their just top 5

I went with children of the sea, I just really love that song. I like Children of the Grave as well, they're both kick-ass. But the reason I went with children of the sea is because it has more dynamics.

Banned

Wow. This is a really tough one...both are great songs, but I'd go for Children Of The Sea, the atmosphere on that one is just so brilliant.

Children of the Sea (but not by much)

Both songs are near the top for me in their respective eras. COTS gets the nod, because it is such an epic track. The mood is just incredible.

COTG has some outstanding, deep lyrics to it, and is such a classic song. It is hard to say one is better than the other.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Just to let you know, this poll is anything but arbitrary for me. For years, given how epic I find both to be, and how similar their titles are (I wonder whether they discussed this when working on the track) they've enjoyed a sort of rivarly in my mind haha

It's sort of a tough call for me, as well, but yes-- COTS is the winner by a hair.

Oh easily, Children of the Grave, for me. I love that song hugely. A classic heavy metal tune, through and through.

Children of the Sea bores me to distraction. It's painfully dull and a largely dud song, off a decidedly dud album.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Children Of The Sea

Both songs are great, but COTG only comes across as great when it's played live. On the album, it's not that great. COTS, however, is great both on the album and live. Plus, I just simply like COTS better anyways.

Ask me a few months ago, it would be Children of the Sea by FAR. But recently, I have rediscovered Children of the Grave after so many years, and now I think it's one of Sabbath's best. Both terrific songs, but I went with Children of the Grave.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Much as I love Children of the Grave, I have to vote for children of the sea. Pure class

Quote Originally Posted by RLP4ever View Post
    Oh easily, Children of the Grave, for me. I love that song hugely. A classic heavy metal tune, through and through.

Children of the Sea bores me to distraction. It's painfully dull and a largely dud song, off a decidedly dud album.

You're kidding me, right? You're surely not for real. H&H a "dud album". In what universe? It's also one of Iommi's favourites, let alone just about every other Sabbath fan.

I voted Children of the Grave. I think that Children of the Sea is getting a lot of sympathy votes with the recent passing of RJD. There is no competition. The grave is an absolute iconic classic with that doom , sludgy and crunchy riff that made Sabbath famous. The sea is good, but it's just not in the same league.

Well, ahem, even though it should go without saying, let's see...

Better music, better flow, better tone, better lyrics, better vocals, better vocal delivery, better innovation. Yup, Children of the Sea all the way.

Children of the Sea.

It was upon hearing this song for the first time that Dio-era Black Sabbath really clicked for me. It just perfectly marries the epic feel and sense of melody from Dio's Rainbow days with the heavy doomy sound of Black Sabbath. Fantastic track

These songs are equally iconic in my world, and thus stand side by side.

Children Of The Sea......COTG is very good, but COTS sends chills down my bones. Also it helps that for me COTS is on a much better album then COTG.

I agree that COTS is likely getting a lot of sympathy votes.

I went with COTG 'cause it's got that galloping riff, which has been so influential throughout all of metal.

I also much prefer Geezer's lyrics over Ronnie's. Sabbath were almost a political band at times with Geezer penning the lyrics. Not so much with Ronnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Dalby View Post
    Well, ahem, even though it should go without saying, let's see...

Better music, better flow, better tone, better lyrics, better vocals, better vocal delivery, better innovation. Yup, Children of the Sea all the way.
    I agree with this assessment. As I mentioned, I love COTG, but the fact that it was influencial doesn't really mean much to me. For instance, Korn was very influencial on the explosion of so-called nu-metal bands, but I would never put any of their songs on a shortlist of innovative, inventive tracks (Again, not slagging COTG; I think it's a great song, just not AS great as COTS).

And as it relates to Geezer's lyrics: I agree that his socio-political awareness lent quite a bit of thematic atmosphere to my BS listening experience, and although Dio usually did not partake (although an argument can be made stating he did in fact write very politically charged songs from time to time) I still believe that Dio is the stronger lyricist. I mean, he forced me to get over that fact that I didn't really want to hear songs about dragons, spiders, knights, and such haha

I think there's a lot of sympathy votes here. I don't think it would of been '33 to 9' a year ago...or even a month ago...

Children of the Grave is by far the better of the two songs. It has great lyrics with a clear message, an awesome guitar solo, a catchy galloping riff, and a breakdown with a slow, sludgy, thunderous riff smack dab in the middle of the song. It has practically everything you could want in a hard rock/heavy metal song. One of Ozzy's best lyrical deliveries in my opinion...

Children of the Sea isn't a bad song, but it's painfully slow and the only real hook in it is the main riff, which gets old fast. The 'LOOK OUT' part at the end is cool too, but I really don't like waiting 5 minutes to get to that part.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who's been accused of having extreme bias favoring anything Dio/Iommi against Ozzy. Despite appearences, that's never been true, and this is just one small example.

Children of the Grave is one of the most overrated songs by Black Sabbath. It's not a good song. It simply doesn't sound as good as people make it seem.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

The decision was easy: Children Of The Sea.

It's become one of the best Dio-esque icons and thus one of the key heavy metal songs in my repertoire. An integral part of my musical personality.

While the choice was easy to make in this case, make no mistake: Children Of The Sea and ...Grave are both very important songs for me, the former may be my favourite of the two, but the latter is one of the best songs from the Ozzy-era, in fact it's in my personal top 5 group of the era with Black Sabbath, War Pigs, Fairies Wear Boots and N.I.B. This means that if any competition was made against any of these 5 songs, the challenger must be something very special & powerful even to be considered.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Speaking only for myself this was not a sympathy vote. My answer would be the same last year as well as 5 years ago as I am sure it will be the same next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BooSweeney View Post
    I think there's a lot of sympathy votes here. I don't think it would of been '33 to 9' a year ago...or even a month ago...
    So maybe the next poll then should be "If you voted for Children on the Sea, was yours a sympathy vote: Yes or No?"

Well, I was saying a lot of people "on the fence" (which several said were) might have voted the other way if Dio was still around. You'd be a fool to think it didn't have some influence.

Not saying it would win, but 33 to 9 is pretty steep.

Oh, and I'm not sure WarningRules about it being overrated...didn't it just win with the lowest vote on Siegler's Survivor series? It's certainly not overrated on the same level as say Paranoid or Iron Man. Overrated or not, it's still must be pretty good for it to win. I doubt Children of the Sea would even make top 3 on H&H, which is why I'm surprised it has such a huge lead here...bringing me back to my original conclusion...

Hmm maybe the fact that this was posted in the Dio Era forum, might explain some of the the bias? Not to mention the Dio traffic on the forums has to be increased after his passing.

Anyway, I understand the poll is to vote for a personal preference. But the songs are so opposite each other to start with, of course they aspire to different musical tastes.

But I honestly hold an equal amount of esteem for both Ozzy & Dio era's, and these songs in particular are two of my favz.

COTS is a better vocal. I think its is Dio that brings the track alive. I think GOTG is a great freak-out and is for a different occasion. I don't think this is a fair comparison, but my preference is for the C# rhythm of COTG.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    Hmm maybe the fact that this was posted in the Dio Era forum, might explain some of the the bias? Not to mention the Dio traffic on the forums has to be increased after his passing.

Anyway, I understand the poll is to vote for a personal preference. But the songs are so opposite each other to start with, of course they aspire to different musical tastes.

But I honestly hold an equal amount of esteem for both Ozzy & Dio era's, and these songs in particular are two of my favz.
    Good points. Although it seems like a lot a of people who posted here have posted in most, if not all the forums. I think pretty much everyone here voted in the survivor series too at some point if I'm not mistaken. I'm just curious of the numbers. As I said, Children of the Grave did win MoR survivor...so it seems that it would at least hold it's own here, but yet it's losing almost 4 to 1, to a song that surely wouldn't win H&H survivor. Personal preference aside, it seems quite dubious to me that "Sea" is ahead by that much. And like you said, the songs are both very different in every aspect other than name. It's kind of a stupid comparison to even make.

Probably a case of those who truly care enough to vote, because they like Children of the Sea, voted for that, while many other people who probably don't care either way--but would normally vote for 'Grave' because of its significance in Sabbath's history--don't care enough to even read the thread, much less vote. In hindsight, I probably should of done the latter...but Dalby's usual outlandishness got the best of me and I had to stick up for "Grave".

It's kind of a stupid comparison to even make.
    Hey thanks for that, guy. What a gentleman. Actually, I'm just trying to have a bit of fun here. I didn't think everything had to be so serious and musically "academic," if you will.

And as for COTG winning the MOR Survivor and COTS's chances of winning H&H's, well imho:

--COTG won because it was clearly the strongest track on an incredibly dull album

--COTS (which I believe has a decent chance of hitting top 3 in the game) suffers amongst some incredibly strong tracks like H&H, Die Young, Lonely is the Word. Hell, some might argue that even Neon Knights is more worthy of winning (I am not one of those people).

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

but would normally vote for 'Grave' because of its significance in Sabbath's history

Call me a stinkin' purist, but shouldn't history, overexposure, and the like be left out of consideration in the Survivor game? Shouldn't the music, lyrics, musicianship, etc. be the marks of judgment here? (Yes, totally subjective, but that's the way it goes.) I don't quite understand why so many people vote with a strong nod towards what the song did for the band, how often it was heard on the radio, etc.

Now, I do understand how a song's "catchiness" or how well written it turned out to be can lead to popularity --> overexposure, but more often than not pop music doesn't favor musicianship over said catchiness. Thus, more often than not, it's rather irrelevant to discuss said characteristics. I mean, come on, is Paranoid a better song than, say, Spiral Architect just because the former did more for the band than the latter, and the average person can actually point it out as a BS track?

I doubt Children of the Sea would even make top 3 on H&H,
    It makes the top three of H&H in my mind!
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

You're welcome. Yes, I think its a stupid comparison. Don't take it too personally.

I don't think everything has to be academic, but nonetheless, it can still be stupid. Might not be in your mind, but it is in mine. I don't really dislike "Children of the Sea" that much, but H&H is one of the best metal albums of all time...and it has at least 3 killer tracks that could beat "Sea" any day. You don't think MoR is a great album...and that's fine. I think it's the best album of the 8 that Ozzy did with the band. (I don't think you can say it clearly won, as it won by 2 votes...which is probably part of the reason its not doing better here.) The downtuned, sludginess is what made Sabbath and influenced other bands to do the same.

Your response to the history of CotG...I don't quite disagree with that.

Comparing history to overexposure, which you did in your previous post by lumping them together, is unfair. History is important. Overexposure isn't. As far as CotG being overexposed...the only way I could agree with that is the fact that it's been played at nearly every concert. And so what? It's a good song...it's better than Paranoid in my mind, so it should get that exposure. Have you ever watched the video of Sabbath doing California Jam and doing CotG? That's history. It's an awesome performance, and watching the 250,000+ crowd imitate Ozzy during the breakdown is something to truly behold. I would never expect "Sea" to get that reaction...so that's why I think history does play an important part. People have seen that video and it influences them. "Sea" doesn't have that influence. I didn't think I had to spell it out for you, but whatever.

And lastly, to "Icy Sun", I agree that "Sea" would make the top 3 in a lot of people's minds...and hell, it could easily make the top 2...it certainly would never win though, because H&H's title track is one of the best metal songs of all time. I personally think in a vote it would get third. Just a guess. I suppose we will eventually see.

People should stick more to their opinions and present them as such and leave other people in peace with their opinions without trying to slam them because of their opinions or outwit others to realize how much lesser their opinion was compared to some other more cultivated & educated assessments. I know I have strong opinions of my favourite music and nothing can change that, but I don't deliver them to other people as the general truth of things and in the sense that other people should be of the same opinion as I am. Or try to convince other people that if some surrounding things were different, the opinion and thus the vote would be different.

I know I love both of these songs, both songs have a very high status in the hierarchy of my favourites. But I don't listen to music by constantly comparing one song/album/band with something else. I always take one song, album and band at the time. I'll give the material in question its own place & moment and leave all the rest out of the equation. But of course, when ultimately asked about preferences like in this voting thread, of which one I like the most, I can state what is my favourite of the said pair/group.

Dio is dead (but not gone) and that's something that will always have a strong presence in my mind, but still I've loved Children Of The Sea so much from day one, Children Of The Grave as well like I said above, but of this pair I clearly voted for Children Of The Sea, not because it has more technical prowess & musical diversity but because it excites me more and ignites more passion & inner power in me.

Children Of The Grave for me, Dio Era is my favourite kind of Sabbath but COTG has that monster-riff and that heavy thunder passion
    I'd choose both if I could but COTG takes it.

making all things equal, Sea vs Grave studio releases, I probably go with Sea. Go with the live versions on Live Evil and Live at Hammersmith where both are sung by DIO, go with Grave. Always thought this was one of the best songs for DIO to cover along with NIB and War Pigs from the Ozzy Classic era.

I am not an Ozzy hater, but I do honestly prefer DIO as an artist, vocalist, etc.

Have you ever watched the video of Sabbath doing California Jam and doing CotG? That's history. It's an awesome performance, and watching the 250,000+ crowd imitate Ozzy during the breakdown is something to truly behold. I would never expect "Sea" to get that reaction...so that's why I think history does play an important part. People have seen that video and it influences them. "Sea" doesn't have that influence. I didn't think I had to spell it out for you, but whatever.
    I have seen that performance, and personally I'm not impressed. So Ozzy can get a crowd to throw up the peace sign in stereo? Great. That has nothing to do with the music, which a game asking fans to eliminate tracks from an album with the goal of settling the question of which track is the strongest musically is not concerned with at all. COTG is a fun song, but the riff is redundant, and I really believe that it is the birth of jock metal... but hey, that's history and influence, and I can't punish the track itself, in it's moment in time, for that.

And as for the "stupid" comment, I mentioned it before: it was in good fun, an attempt to see which incarnation did a better job with their similarly titled songs. Just something I'm thought about since I was a kid. You can compare it to asking people which flavor of soda tastes better: coke or sprite. In the end, just a blow off contest, but people like you (e.g. the pricks) blow it up into a war of justification.

I've never been a huge fan of "Children of the Grave" so it's "Children Of The Sea" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsilence View Post
    So which song do you enjoy more: Dio's or Ozzy's?

It couldn't get more simple than this. A simple question of personal preference. Added with the enquirer's own choice.

Some people want to answer this question just as simply by picking up their own favourite of the two.

Some people - like me - have the need & style of telling something more about the personal views around the songs. I personally like to tell something about the song in question, it's the music that I love so it's easy & appropriate for me to write something about it. That's me & my style.

Some people try to convince others to see how there can be only one orthodox choice, by considering all the historical aspects, all the artistic & productional values, the decades of sales numbers, all the concert attendance & audience participation then & now and all the influence & impact that the certain song has had over the entire genre of rock 'n' roll and furthermore, the recent death of the performer of the first song and the assumed effect of that event on the individual votes.

So, to reiterate: which song do you enjoy more: Dio's or Ozzy's?

^I third that motion. And I can't decide between the two because one has a power sounding stand (Children Of The Sea), while Of The Grave has the speed. Two different ball games.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Which song would you (yes, YOU) prefer to have on a desert island if it came to that? While I would choose Children Of The Sea no matter what & where I am, this song would give me more hope an a desert island than Children Of The Grave...

Fine, Children Of The Sea, since I'm on a desert island and I feel the need for something power sounding anyway. But my previous post still stands.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss