View Poll Results: Which song do you prefer: Children of the Sea or Children of the Grave?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of the Sea

73 65.18%
  • Children of the Grave

39 34.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by paulsilence View Post
    I have seen that performance, and personally I'm not impressed. So Ozzy can get a crowd to throw up the peace sign in stereo? Great. That has nothing to do with the music, which a game asking fans to eliminate tracks from an album with the goal of settling the question of which track is the strongest musically is not concerned with at all. COTG is a fun song, but the riff is redundant, and I really believe that it is the birth of jock metal... but hey, that's history and influence, and I can't punish the track itself, in it's moment in time, for that.

And as for the "stupid" comment, I mentioned it before: it was in good fun, an attempt to see which incarnation did a better job with their similarly titled songs. Just something I'm thought about since I was a kid. You can compare it to asking people which flavor of soda tastes better: coke or sprite. In the end, just a blow off contest, but people like you (e.g. the pricks) blow it up into a war of justification.

WTF is jock metal?
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Apple or Orange? Umm.... Apple!

Children of the Grave is the better studio track IMO - really dark, archetypal Black Sabbath where it protested the way things were in a rebellious fashion that took no prisoners.

Children of the Sea, on the other hand, is atmospheric, ethereal and has that classic mix of light and shade that Sabbath did so well during the Dio era. It also protests the way of the world, but in a more mature, demure way.

Musically, I prefer Children of the Sea's structure - great melodic guitars in it, and Tony's solo isn't overdone and more melodic too - COTG is faster and Bill Ward plays fantastic drums on it, but the song itself has only one riff I really like in it, and that's the sludgy breakdown riff where it slows down and is abominably heavy - a classic Iommi riff bar none.

As Children of the Sea is also one of my all time favourite Sabbath songs period, I'm voting for COTS.

"WTF is jock metal? "

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
    Sorry, but blame Iommi, not Ozzy. Iommi had every right to refuse a reunion.
    I blame both, however it was Iommi who was so sick of playing the same songs "over and over" (due to Oz not being able to perform many of their songs) that he decided to go out on tour with Dio and play something different after 10 years of the same old same old. It was also Iommi, with Dio, Butler and Appice who were able to record a new CD and get out and tour with mew material. That can not be said for the original line-up. Material was recorded but deemed not worthy of release.

I like the original line-up,a lot, but Oz's time has come and gone.

Let's get back on topic, pick, out of these 2 songs your favorite. AGAIN, I prefer COTS.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Children of the grave but when Dio sung it live.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsilence View Post

And as for the "stupid" comment, I mentioned it before: it was in good fun, an attempt to see which incarnation did a better job with their similarly titled songs. Just something I'm thought about since I was a kid. You can compare it to asking people which flavor of soda tastes better: coke or sprite. In the end, just a blow off contest, but people like you (e.g. the pricks) blow it up into a war of justification.
    I think you're being a little oversensitive to the use of "stupid". I meant it as "blow-off", just as you have said in your response, and seem to be fine with using, and I've hinted the same way in my responses. As far as "justifying it" you've done just as much to justify your points to me (that I didn't bother quoting, because I don't care that much) so the burden isn't all mine. You need two sides to have a "war"....

If that makes me a prick, then I guess I am. If I were you, I'd grow some thicker skin. Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BooSweeney View Post

If that makes me a prick, then I guess I am. If I were you, I'd grow some thicker skin. Good luck with that.
    That's basically how it is with everyone on these forums...
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Put all the kids in a gymnasium and let them fight it out. My money is on Dio's bunch.

All the best,
    PAULIE

Bigsmile

No contest Children of the Sea Dio is a singer Ozzy is not!
    As you walk this path of life may you be greeted with kindness,compassion and happiness!

children of the grave

Misty morning bla bla bla bla over they say that it's over over over bla bla bla.

Yeah COTG is better by a million miles kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    That's basically how it is with everyone on these forums...
    Yeah, I've noticed that. I know you and I used to have some good times on some of those Sabbath Facebook groups...so we both know about how it pays to have that thick skin.

And with regards to you Paulie88. Your opinions are awesome, some of the best I've read here, but remember, I'm on the Dio side. I may have defended COTG here, but I think it's clear where my allegiance is (especially if you get on YouTube).

Back to the topic though, I decided to give 'Children of the Sea' a fair listen today. One where I actually listened to the song, rather than let it play in the background while I answer email. Dio's vocal is excellent, but the song itself is just so...bland. I hear the riff, the bass, the drums...it's all there...but it's just so repetitive, and the solo break isn't very memorable. I just can't get into it.

Hey, I tried.

That said, I have a new appreciation for "Lady Evil", which I actually really like now.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I know you and I used to have some good times on some of those Sabbath Facebook groups...so we both know about how it pays to have that thick skin.
    I want to get back to that. It's been quite al ong while since I've visited those pages... Maybe I'll give it another try now.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Weather Dio was still with us or not, I have and always will like Children Of The Sea better.
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

Quote Originally Posted by WheelsOfConfusion View Post
    You're kidding me, right? You're surely not for real. H&H a "dud album". In what universe? It's also one of Iommi's favourites, let alone just about every other Sabbath fan.
    No, I ain't kidding, I swear. And trust me I'm for real. And oh, I'm from Mars. You from Venus, maybe??

Yea, you read that right; I called Heaven and Hell, a largely misfiring, dull, 'dud' album, because that's exactly how I've always felt about that album. I can't see how anything being Tony Iommi's 'favourite' has anything at all to do with what I feel and say---about Black Sabbath songs/albums etc. Btw, what convinces you that "just about every other Sabbath fan" considers H&H to be his favourite album, as well? I gotta wonder who's really kidding whom now?
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

And with regards to you Paulie88. Your opinions are awesome, some of the best I've read here, but remember, I'm on the Dio side. I may have defended COTG here, but I think it's clear where my allegiance is (especially if you get on YouTube).

Back to the topic though, I decided to give 'Children of the Sea' a fair listen today. One where I actually listened to the song, rather than let it play in the background while I answer email. Dio's vocal is excellent, but the song itself is just so...bland. I hear the riff, the bass, the drums...it's all there...but it's just so repetitive, and the solo break isn't very memorable. I just can't get into it.

Hey, I tried.

That said, I have a new appreciation for "Lady Evil", which I actually really like now.
    Listen to the version off of Live Evil. I wasnt overly impressed with the song after just listening to the album version originally, but after I saw them live in 2008 it became one of my favorite Dio era songs. I think many of the dio era songs need to be listened to live to get the full impact. There is a huge difference between the two versions, by that I mean in the feel category.

Children of the Grave. It was heavy, fast and everything Black Sabbath was about and stood for before they started punching dragons and sleeping with unicorns in the 80's.

I voted for Children of the Sea. For me, having seen that song live in concert 5 times, versus seeing Children of the Grave only once, might have a part in that to be fair. That being said, it just flows so nicely, and I love the lyrics, and listening it over on the album (as opposed to my concert memories) reinforces that to me.

Children of the Grave for me. It's one of the best on MOR while Children of the Sea isn't one of the best on H&H...

Children of the Sea is one of my favorites (along with Heaven and Hell) from the Dio era, so I'll go with that, though Children of the Grave is a great song as well.

H&H is a better album than MOR (IMO).

However, COTG is a better song for me than COTS.

Yes, Dio puts in a better vocal than Ozzy, etc. But, for me COTS is not as entertaining as COTG, and that's all I'll base this on. So I voted 'Grave'

Actually, COTG beats most H&H songs for me with the exception of Die Young and possibly Neon Knights. And maybe H&H itself, depending on listening mood.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by hipster doofus View Post
    Children of the Grave. It was heavy, fast and everything Black Sabbath was about and stood for before they started punching dragons and sleeping with unicorns in the 80's.
    Okay, we get that you love Ozzy and don't like Dio, but you don't have to be insulting about it.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilder86 View Post
    Okay, we get that you love Ozzy and don't like Dio, but you don't have to be insulting about it.
    I was only kidding. It has nothing to do with Ozzy. I certainly prefer Geezer's writing style but I do in fact love Dio and his music.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Quote Originally Posted by hipster doofus View Post
    I was only kidding. It has nothing to do with Ozzy. I certainly prefer Geezer's writing style but I do in fact love Dio and his music.
    Oh. lol My bad. Didn't realize you were joking.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie 88 View Post
    Put all the kids in a gymnasium and let them fight it out. My money is on Dio's bunch.

All the best,
    PAULIE
    Your idea for the win!
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Children of the Grave! And I'm pretty much a later Sab fan by nature- but what a GREAT message Geezer gave us in Grave. Awesome concert song too
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Children of the Sea, without a doubt. That's not to say Children of the Grave is bad by any means, mind you...

COTG is a great song but I have to go with COTS because Dio's singing
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Wow. To me COTS is a great song but not even in the same league. COTG is iconic. It was progressive and new. Sabbath was creating Metal with COTG but were participants with COTS. Without COTG there is no COTS.

I do think there is some sympathy due to Dio and also the big anti-Ozzy sentiment on this forum.
    you introduced me to my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by hoja dulce View Post

I do think there is some sympathy due to Dio and also the big anti-Ozzy sentiment on this forum.
    I think it's just that more people prefer COTS, but love both songs. I think BOTH songs are iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by hoja dulce View Post
    Wow. To me COTS is a great song but not even in the same league. COTG is iconic. It was progressive and new. Sabbath was creating Metal with COTG but were participants with COTS. Without COTG there is no COTS.

I sure as hell did'nt vote for COTS as a sympathy vote, I voted for it because its an epic master piece.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Children of the sea, just to hear Ronnie's voice and feeling during the choruses

While the topic's open, there's a part of Children of the Sea that I totally love, and can't help but notice it every time I hear the song - The main riff, many of you guitarists will recognize as this, notated here with ' being a rest and . being a muted "chug" note.

A''AA'...BC(a)BC''
    A''AA'..G'''D'''

Well, the way Tony plays it, the A is always a 2-note chord (A and E). The B and C vary, but are usually 3-note chords, as normal. But the G is played with all 6 strings, and the D is always a 3-note. SO when you reach the end of the phrase, it's a 6-string G, 3-note D, and back to the 2-note A. Always. To me, it's this flourish that gives the song a tapering focus, and I really enjoy that attention to detail.

All the beast,
    PAULIE

Children Of The Grave!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

COTS is majestic...COTG is also great! a Sab icon
    "Music is so sacred to me that I canít hear wishy-washy nonsense just played for the sake of selling records."
    R. Blackmore

Quote Originally Posted by VikingChrist View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of "Children of the Grave" so it's "Children Of The Sea" for me.
    Yeah, it's an 8 out of 10 while COTS is a 10 out of 10.

I voted for it because its an epic master piece

Quote Originally Posted by phathaiantoan View Post
    I voted for it because its an epic master piece
    Voted for which one?
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I'd say Children Of The Sea.

Truth be told, it took several years for Children Of The Grave to grow on me. Cool tune though!