Thread: Drugs

Default Drugs

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times on this forum over the years, but when exactly did Iommi quit using drugs. Whether it be cocaine, weed or whatever. I've heard many different stories, not sure which are true and which are not. I have heard that he quit in the 70s, then other stories of only quitting sometime in the 90s. Does anyone know when he quite using cocaine, alcohol, weed or anything?

Also, according to Phil Anselmo and Dave Mustaine, plus I'm sure other people, Dio smoked weed. And not in the past century either, apparently even in recent years. I never knew just until awhile ago that Dio smoked weed. Which is awesome, just never knew it before. Which could explain his lyrics somewhat, haha.

Not sure exactly, but if you look at the Cal Jam video from '74 as well as the London '78 video you can clearly see Iommi doing the deep snort thing onstage.

I believe Iommi quit using cocaine on a regular basis around 1976, when he first started trying to get actual legal control on Black Sabbath (with the legal procedures to get control on the album contents and covers out of the record company's hands and so on...). I guess Geezer may have stopped around that time too. Anyway, by 1978, they were both clean enough to have major communication problems with Bill and Ozzy who were still heavily into it, and there's a quote by Geezer explaining how Bill quit the band in 1980 where he said that he had stopped taking drugs for a while at the time.

That is for hard addiction. Now, when it comes to recreational use, Ron Keel said that, when he auditionned for Sabbath, Iommi and Geezer spent a lot of time smoking weed and talking about how cool it would be if Ozzy came back, which would mean that they would still smoke the occasional joint in the mid-80s.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.
    "Black Sabbath : la BÍte venue de Birmingham"

Maybe the pot helped him deal with the stomach cramps of the cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by RedZero View Post
    Maybe the pot helped him deal with the stomach cramps of the cancer.

... What?
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    ... What?
    I think he mixed Iommi for Dio.

I don't think Iommi did any coke in the eighties. I don't think he ever spoke of it. He was clearly buzzed on the London 78 video, though. He's probably like Paul McCartney and still enjoys weed.

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    ... What?
    Hes probably making a reference to medicinal marijuana. Still would have helped if he maybe would have hinted towards it or explained what he meant a bit better.....

Nope. In an interview posted on blabbermouth with Phil Anselmo, just read it yesterday, he said Dio toked weed with him after the '92 Italy gig. Plus, in an interview posted late last month on blabbermouth with Dave Mustaine. Dave says that when Megadeth was on tour with H&H in 2007, he thanked Dio for taking Megadeth on tour with them, and Dave mentioned that Dio and he smoked a joint together.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Marijuana is not a gateway drug. If someone uses marijuana and later down the road tries any other drug, they do so because their attitudes regarding drugs have changed. There is nothing in the chemical makeup of a marijuana plant that would lead anyone to use any other drug, and that is a scientific fact.
    I've just seen your signature. This is actually true. For many years, people always used to say that smoking marijuana would lead you to use hard drugs, until a study was made in France during the late 90s. It's showed that only 1% of people who smoke marijuana go on using hard drugs. 99% of hard drugs users started with hard drugs in the first place.

Now, regarding Ronnie's use of weed, I don't believe the pain killing reason for one second. The man had stomac cancer. If he had to ease the pain, I guess the doctors gave him proper pain killers. If he smoke weed, it was for fun and nothing else.
    Tony Iommi Fact #216: In fact, most demolition companies donít use explosives to collapse buildings, only a good stereo and a copy of ďDehumanizerĒ.

But if you search hard I bet you'll have trouble finding a marijuana user who hasn't tried other drugs. Not saying there isn't any. I have known many pot users and i don't know one who has not tried harder drugs.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SabbathKing93 View Post
    Nope. In an interview posted on blabbermouth with Phil Anselmo, just read it yesterday, he said Dio toked weed with him after the '92 Italy gig. Plus, in an interview posted late last month on blabbermouth with Dave Mustaine. Dave says that when Megadeth was on tour with H&H in 2007, he thanked Dio for taking Megadeth on tour with them, and Dave mentioned that Dio and he smoked a joint together.
    The Dave Mustaine story was about their touring the So Far, So Good... So What! album in 1986 with solo Dio and not H&H.

Oh, you're right, haha! I missed that in the interview. I stand corrected.

Yes, but there is no chemical makeup in marijuana that "makes" people move on to other drugs. It's their own choice and attitudes, nothing in the actual drug.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Banned

I think it's safe to say that everyone has done pot.
    I did LSD once and listened to some Sabbath and some Prog Rush (Cygnus X-1 to be exact) A buddy of mine and me got into a really interesting debate about how cool it would be if birds and humans switched places.

I will say that being high probably made me give into illogical thinking. But I will say, that pot has never really made me want to try anything else. (except when high, and only that one time, in which I was so stoned off of White Rhino that I burnt my lip.)

Quote Originally Posted by fishtowner View Post
    But if you search hard I bet you'll have trouble finding a marijuana user who hasn't tried other drugs. Not saying there isn't any. I have known many pot users and i don't know one who has not tried harder drugs.
    I don't think that's true at all, but if you are talking about musicians, then it's probably more true.

I don't know much about Iommi's drug habits. Everyone in Sabbath was a heavy user in the '70s, although apparently it became a bigger problem for Ozzy and Bill than Tony and Geezer. From what I understand, the latter two sort of scaled their drug use back throughout the late '70s and '80s to occassional use (unlike Ozzy and Bill, who had trouble stopping), although I don't know if they ever gave everything up completely. I recall Geezer saying he still has an occassional drink but I don't think either he or Tony have used hard stuff in years. I also recall hearing the Dio liked to drink (all the way up until he got too sick) and was an occasional weed smoker but was never into the hard stuff. He was a pharmocology student at one point, so maybe he had a better idea of which drugs to stay away from than some of the others.

I'm sure I remember in interview (Probably early 90's ) saying that Geezer was so out of it in the 80's that he tried to hurt RJD in Germany or Russia (Eastern bloc) SO Geezer was still using considerably into the 80's!

I also remember comments made that about the time Ozzy stopped being in Sabbath that drugs was a crappy excuse because they were all equally f'd up.

Didnt Geezer say before that it was while he had time away from the band as the Heaven and Hell album began. (which Gruber did some work on it). And Geezer went home and did coke in front of his family. That he realised it was time to get clean.
    Pain and Poison Roses

It's human to be curious. Some people are more susceptible than others. Smart people avoid and/or grow out of the hard stuff.

All the best,
    PAULIE

I know Bill and Ozzy were big on the heroin which can take major control of a persons life. I know Tony did a lot of coke. he has talked about that. Were Tony and geezer also into the heroin? Don't recall reading about that. I did a lot coke back in the day almost everyday and quit cold turkey one day. I never did heroin but know many who did and that was a whole different thing then coke and quiting cold turkey wasn't an option. Out of the guys I knew many are still on it and the others who are not anymore are dead. I know a few who are clean of heroin but have spent a lifetime on Methadone or some other form of drug that offers a release from heroin but still in it's own is still a narcotic.

I know Bill and Ozzy were big on the heroin which can take major control of a persons life.
    Heroin, really ? That's weird, because I remember an interview with Ozzy, I think it was in 2005, where he said that, to make it short, apart from crack and heroin, he had tried about everything. I think it was around the time his son started heroin and Ozz was pretty upset about it.

I also remember what Jack said about this period. It was something like : "Hey, when you have regular parents and you want to rebel, you smoke pot. But my dad is Ozzy Osbourne. How rebel is pot when your dad is known to have tried about everything on the market ?! So I went for the harder stuff."

I know Bill and Ozzy were big on the heroin which can take major control of a persons life. I know Tony did a lot of coke. he has talked about that. Were Tony and geezer also into the heroin? Don't recall reading about that. I did a lot coke back in the day almost everyday and quit cold turkey one day. I never did heroin but know many who did and that was a whole different thing then coke and quiting cold turkey wasn't an option. Out of the guys I knew many are still on it and the others who are not anymore are dead. I know a few who are clean of heroin but have spent a lifetime on Methadone or some other form of drug that offers a release from heroin but still in it's own is still a narcotic.
    I don't know fore sure about Bill, Geezer or Tony, but Ozzy makes clear a few times in his book that aside from a few tries (none of which involved a needle) he stayed away from heroin entirely. I'm pretty sure none of the guys in Sabbath were on the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Heroin, really ? That's weird, because I remember an interview with Ozzy, I think it was in 2005, where he said that, to make it short, apart from crack and heroin, he had tried about everything. I think it was around the time his son started heroin and Ozz was pretty upset about it.

I also remember what Jack said about this period. It was something like : "Hey, when you have regular parents and you want to rebel, you smoke pot. But my dad is Ozzy Osbourne. How rebel is pot when your dad is known to have tried about everything on the market ?! So I went for the harder stuff."
    That is the lamest quote ever. If Jack really wanted to be a rebel he would have been clean and straight (the polar opposite of his dad) you don't become a rebel by out partying your parents.

weak excuse and very insightful into his mindset.

Tony looked pretty thin in '78 (Never Say Die dvd) it's hard to imagine that he was tapering his use at that point. I read somewhere that their writing process in the early days, more or less, was to get high then jam until a riff/idea came out. Im guessing that changed with Ronnie, the bands collective energy was alot better, and the need for 'enhancement' probably lowered as a result. Plus, having Ozzy out of the band must've relieved alot problems (probably the same problems they were using drugs to deal with, or rather, avoid dealing with, as the case may be)

I've never read or heard any members of BS used Heroin. Ozzy and Bill admitted to be big alcohol abusers. I just read a recent article think it was Decibal mag. where Geezer said coke took his personality away, that's why he quit, but Tony said he never had a problem with coke, and said he's not against doing a line or 2 now and then if offered to him (now that's the politaclly correct way to say it...lol). They actually were big pot heads and downers is what I read over the years, which I think influenced the stoner rock sound they invented.

RIPRJD

Also, according to Phil Anselmo and Dave Mustaine, plus I'm sure other people, Dio smoked weed. And not in the past century either, apparently even in recent years. I never knew just until awhile ago that Dio smoked weed. Which is awesome, just never knew it before. Which could explain his lyrics somewhat, haha.
    Interview with Craig Goldy:

..Those were also special days on tour, because my dad....I would call my dad....he was a policeman, you know, he just didn't go for that long-haired musician stuff. So I said, "dad, we're headlining Madison Square Garden" and he says, "God, all these years telling you, you couldn't do it and I be damned if you didn't do it". And because he was a cop, there was this one time....obviously it's no secret that Ronnie likes to smoke pot, so there he was smoking pot backstage at the San Diego Sports Arena....we headlined the Sports Arena in San Diego, which was huge for me too. There are these security guards, backstage, that wanted to bust Ronnie, because they smelled pot. They were going back there to make a bust. My dad was a detective, vice squad, so, he pulls out his badge and goes to the security guards, "where do you think you're going?" and they go, "nowhere sir". So, he stopped them from Ronnie getting busted and from that point on, Ronnie and him were like buddies.

http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/crai...guitarist.html

Oh, you're right, haha! I missed that in the interview. I stand corrected.

Yes, but there is no chemical makeup in marijuana that "makes" people move on to other drugs. It's their own choice and attitudes, nothing in the actual drug.

Correct.

Additionally most people start out with alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine, so those would be the gateway drug if their premise was even correct.
    you introduced me to my mind...

Banned

But if you search hard I bet you'll have trouble finding a marijuana user who hasn't tried other drugs. Not saying there isn't any. I have known many pot users and i don't know one who has not tried harder drugs.[COLOR="silver"]
    How about a cocaine user that never tried pot? I used cocaine (socially & for fun) for years throughout my early record company days but never smoked or injected anything, including pot. I never even tried tobacco...

I think people will do what they wanna do. I certainly didn't feel any inclination to try anything harder, I was never addicted to anything. I quit easily when I wanted to, no problems at all. I haven't touched it for over 20 years & have never even been tempted to, even when there's been tray fulls of the stuff in front of me. I still drink beer & bourbon, so there's none of that "I'm drinking so I'll have a toot" mentality either.

You'll either try it or you won't. I don't think one thing leads to another. Some people just want that experience. Others don't. How they cope with it after that depends on the type of individual they are...

I agree DMC, the old "pot leads to harder drugs" argument doesn't wash, it's personality types and DNA that determine much more whether a person has an addictive personality or chemical makeup than saying a few tokes or toots is going to lead to a life of drug addction.

Quote Originally Posted by MobRules View Post
    I did LSD once and listened to some Sabbath and some Prog Rush (Cygnus X-1 to be exact) A buddy of mine and me got into a really interesting debate about how cool it would be if birds and humans switched places.

I will say that being high probably made me give into illogical thinking. But I will say, that pot has never really made me want to try anything else. (except when high, and only that one time, in which I was so stoned off of White Rhino that I burnt my lip.)
    I can safely say that I never have done pot, nor any other mind-altering or perception-affecting drug, aside from getting drunk one time. *Shrugs* Call me clean cut, I suppose.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Porter View Post
    I can safely say that I never have done pot, nor any other mind-altering or perception-affecting drug, aside from getting drunk one time. *Shrugs* Call me clean cut, I suppose.
    Don't worry matey... You're young. There's still plenty of time!

Quote Originally Posted by MobRules View Post
    I haven't, nor have I ever had the desire to. Never did coke, psychedelics or anything...but I sure drank enough to make up for it! I'm now a recovering alcoholic sober 10+ years, limited to Communion wine on Sunday mornings.

Personally, I find testimonials from Phil Anselmo and Dave Mustaine to be a little suspect. I'm not saying they're wrong, but their past history leaves their veracity somewhat in doubt. Mustaine once said back in the '80s that Kerry King "doesn't get high at all" and that for the brief time he was in Megadeth "he would drink Coke while the rest of us were all falling-down drunk."

I remember reading a quote from Iommi in the early '90s where he said, "I don't think I was ever addicted to anything. We got in the habit of taking drugs because they were so freely available. I stopped because I didn't like the person I was on drugs. These days I rarely have a drink."

I've also read where Ron Keel said that he hung around with Tony, Geezer and Lita Ford and snorted cocaine back in the '80s.

Dio...I've read the following quotes from him:

"My drug days are behind me." (sometime in the early '90s)

"I never got into snorting coke, but back in Cortland we smoked pot because there was nothing else to do in the middle of winter!" (sometime last year)

Other than that, I don't know. I don't imagine anyone does for sure, other than the band.
    He is not here. He has risen!

In terms of Iommi's use, it's hard to say as others have indicated. Although I have a feeling he didnt steer away from it as early as some have stated here. Bear in mind that Cocaine was the hip drug of the 80's (probably more then the 70's). Ronnie had stated in post Sabbath interviews saying that drugs could've been to blame for the Dio era breakup. Although it was unclear as to who's drug use he was referring. Could have been Both Tony & Geezer, or just one of them.

I have a feeling Iommi probably curtailed excessive drug use after Ozzy was out of Sabbath. Perhaps he might have enjoyed an occasional line now & again through at least the Dio era. But I doubt he went cold turkey. I wonder about Geezer more. I have a feeling he might have stayed on the stuff a little longer then Tony. Also I recall watching footage of H&H in Eddie Trunks radio studio sometime around 2007. Geezer clearly had a bottle in front of him, I'm assuming it was a beer unless it was apple cider or something.

Also the latest quotes about Ronnie smoking pot were in reference to recent tours. Scott Ian stated that he asked Ronnie on a tour in 04, "how to you warm up before a show?" He claims Ronnie stated he smoked 1/2 a joint and had a beer before hitting the stage. I have a feeling that was Ronnies routine probably up to his last shows.

Tony stopped using cocaine in the late 70s.
    Geezer may have, but Ozzy and Bill still used coke, and they drank very heavily.

I think Tony and Geezer still used cocaine a little in the early 80s, though.

I think they might smoke dope still now.
    I've never heard anything about any of them except Geezer and Ozzy using heroin.
    Ozzy and Geezer used it a little in the early 70s, but did not like it, that's why they wrote Hand of Doom.

In his book Iommi said he used coke during Seventh Star. Bill Ward said since his 1984 rehab he hasn't had a drug since. He said this in 1998. Ozzy has said he tried heroin once and he threw up up the whole time. And he never did it again. Geezer did coke in 1980 in front of his family. And that shamed him into not using it again.
    Pain and Poison Roses

There are pictures of Tony during the Born Again and Seventh Star periods where he looks very thin and gaunt, especially in his face. Not exactly 'strung out', but he's definitely not clean and sober. Hell, you can see it even on the Seventh Star album cover...
    Good Beer is the perfect blend of Art & Science.

we all know about ozzy's drug use but i really think tony's cocaine use was played down a lot. i think he done a lot in the 70s and 80s but kept himself from going downhill as it wernt in his nature to let himself go too much. bill was really ill at times from drink and drugs and was in bad shape but never got the reputation of a bonham or moon, maybe because he wernt that type of person to be in the limelight all the time. as for geezer it seems alcohol was more of a problem than drugs although he seemed the cleanest out of them. i think ozzy was snorting smack for 6 months i heard him say but got fed up of throwing up so he stopped.

Soria Moria, ōstenfor sol og vestenfor mŚne, Norge

Quote Originally Posted by oh lord yeah! View Post
    we all know about ozzy's drug use but i really think tony's cocaine use was played down a lot. i think he done a lot in the 70s and 80s but kept himself from going downhill as it wernt in his nature to let himself go too much. bill was really ill at times from drink and drugs and was in bad shape but never got the reputation of a bonham or moon, maybe because he wernt that type of person to be in the limelight all the time. as for geezer it seems alcohol was more of a problem than drugs although he seemed the cleanest out of them. i think ozzy was snorting smack for 6 months i heard him say but got fed up of throwing up so he stopped.
    The only thing Geezer've said to have had problems with was coke in the late 70's. The two worst drugs of them all are heroin and alcohol. Ozzy, Bill, Bonham & Moon were HEAVY drinkers. Tony and Geez seem to have been more occasional/social drinkers...
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til Šrs ok friūar ok forn siūr

i remember reading about geezer saying he was a bad drunk and had to give it up. i know he wernt a bonham type of drinker but i dont think it agreed with him when he got sloshed.

I remember the rumour of Geezer getting drunk and pulling a knife on Malcolm Young during the NSD tour.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM45 View Post
    There are pictures of Tony during the Born Again and Seventh Star periods where he looks very thin and gaunt, especially in his face. Not exactly 'strung out', but he's definitely not clean and sober. Hell, you can see it even on the Seventh Star album cover...
    Agreed, I think I see it in the video for Stranger to Love as well. Also, some stories from his Iron Man book made it sound like he was getting pretty damn paranoid in the 80s.
    You bought and sold me with your lying words.
    Phil, your head's all full of lice!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSymptom View Post
    I remember the rumour of Geezer getting drunk and pulling a knife on Malcolm Young during the NSD tour.
    Not a rumor, and it happened in April of 1977 on the Technical Ecstacy tour in Europe.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    Not a rumor, and it happened in April of 1977 on the Technical Ecstacy tour in Europe.
    Thanks for the clarification, Damian. I couldn't recall if it had actually happened.