Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default Joe Siegler's Tribute to Ronnie

Check it out.

http://www.black-sabbath.com/news/20...te_to_dio.html

Includes the video of Heaven & Hell doing "Mob Rules" filmed by Damian at Dio's last gig on August 2009. A direct link to the video on Youtube is available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqMyEalm-JI&fmt=18
    Last edited by Joe Siegler; 06-05-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

Hallelujah.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Thumbsup

Great write up Joe and a great video.

I'm 31 now, and I got into Sabbath much later than you, around 1997. I didn't know much about the band's history, but I picked up a lot of the early Ozzy era stuff and it rocked my world. One day that summer, I went to the record store and saw "Live Evil". I thought it would be a live album with Ozzy. I put it on and...who was this Dio guy? Gimme a break!

Well it turns out that Dio guy was pretty damn good and I still have a soft spot for that live album. It introduced me to Ronnie James Dio and I got a chance to explore his whole career. What a treasure for the ears!

I also saw Heaven and Hell in 2007 in Cincinnati. Very interesting how from the time I first put on Live Evil and got into Dio, 10 years later to the year I'm standing two or three rows from the stage with Ronnie in front of me, fronting that same line up and playing those same songs I fell in love with 10 years before. Life is full of interesting circles of time and coincidence.

Thanks again for the tribute and doing what you do.

-David

Irritated

Why did Ronnie get so upset over the T Shirt ??

Quote Originally Posted by geezerbutler View Post
    It was a Philadelphia Eagles T-Shirt. Ronnie was a notorious NY sports fan. He's a NY Giants fan, so it's more of a sports rivalry than anything else.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

It's awesome. Every second of it. Thanks guys. R.I.P. Ronnie.
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by geezerbutler View Post
    1. The guy balled it up and threw it at his head, which is what set him off to begin with.

2. Ronnie was a big NY Giants fan, and the T-Shirt was for the Philadelphia Eagles broadcast station 94WYSP. The front of it said something about being green and Merril Reese, who is the long-time radio announcer for the Eagles in Philly. Maybe if it was a Giants shirt Ronnie wouldn't have been as pissed, I don't know.

When the song ended, Ronnie specifically said he had no problem with 94WYSP, just with the idiot who threw the shirt. The crowd roared its approval.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Very nice tribute guys, I especially love the video.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

The heartfelt tribute from Joe brought a tear to my eye.

It's very similar to how I discovered this man's unequalled voice and lyrical vision. However, I got Heaven and Hell first in 1981 (I traded some other album to a friend for it, I'm not sure what I traded, and it doesn't matter anyway!), right after my Grade 9 year had let out for the summer. I got Mob Rules later, then Rainbow Rising, then...

The video (thanks Damian & Co.) was shot not long after I saw Black Sabbath (for that is what they were) in Detroit. It was an outdoor gig, and in Michigan the sun doesn't go down until well after 8.00 PM that time of year. Even after Coheed and Cambria's commendable opening set, the sun was still shining. Ronnie joked that, "come on, we can't have sunshine, you can't sing about creepy things when the sun is shining!" Again I have to thank my dear wife for urging me to see this gig...she said, "those guys are getting up in years, and you don't know if you'll see them again." Little did we know.

I am privileged to have seen Ronnie three times: twice with Black Sabbath ('92 and '09) and once with Dio ('85). I almost got to see him at a club gig in '97 but I was suffering from probably the worst case of the flu that I've ever had.

Joe's comments on Live Evil are interesting. I still like it, but I haven't heard Live At Hammersmith. I give Live At Radio City Music Hall a slight edge. It's curious to me that in the VHS of Part 2 of The Black Sabbath Story that album isn't even mentioned. I dearly wish an official DVD of the 1980 Black And Blue Tour with Blue Oyster Cult would be released.

Ronnie, you'll always be missed but never forgotten.

I'm not sure how authentic these pictures of Ronnie's resting place are...maybe someone who knows more than me can confirm or deny their authenticity:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=52461224

He is not here. He has risen!

A nice tribute and an excellent video!
    Don't care which God you follow, whose promises you swallow.

Banned

That was a really great tribute...It brought tears to my eyes again reading it...and not to mention the video. The funny t-shirt incident aside...it really got me crying again seeing how great Ronnie was at his last ever show...he sang totally flawlessly...

Thanks so much Joe and Damian for this...it was truly a great tribute for a great man.

Hats off & heads down for Joe & Damian. Thank you very much for this tribute.
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 06-06-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Joe & Damian ... THANK YOU !

This remarkable footage should definitely be added as a bonus feature to the upcoming Heaven & Hell live DVD set. The full show from wherever it was filmed, the new interviews, some vintage live footage from the '80 - '82 era...and this footage, the very last live footage of Ronnie James Dio. Also the backstage & interview footage that features Damian.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    This remarkable footage should definitely be added as a bonus feature to the upcoming Heaven & Hell live DVD set. The full show from wherever it was filmed, the new interviews, some vintage live footage from the '80 - '82 era...and this footage, the very last live footage of Ronnie James Dio. Also the backstage & interview footage that features Damian.
    Gloria Butler mentioned that they might want to use the footage in some capacity. Whether or not it ACTUALLY happens is unknown.

Given the nature of the material, I offered it to 'em for use for free. Didn't want to try and make a buck off of it - especially now. I think that footage needs to be SEEN, not caught up in endless negotiations over how much money I wanted to make off of it.

Sadly, Damian was prevented from filming anything more than that, so there isn't any more to use. :(

Thank you for all of the kind words. I'm happy that we we're able to finally share our coverage of his final show with everyone. With all of the permissions and approvals needed, I was worried that we would not be able to do this! Now it stands as a great added bonus to Joe's tribute. Enjoy.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
    Great tribute Joe. The video footage is very cool. I figured the shirt had something to do with the Philadelphia Eagles, and while Ronnie always had special relationship with Philly (he did a few live concert films that were released from Last In Line and Sacred Heart Tours at The Spectrum)
    I'm in those. Although you'd never know it. I just happen to know where I was.

Joe K

There's some information on Ronnie James Dio's final resting place. I know it was at Forest Lawn, the same place where the memorial was held, in the Hollywood Hills. I am hoping that this information can be confirmed as accurate. Many people are asking where the gravesite is so they can pay their respects, although I am not sure this section of Forest Lawn is open to the public. Here is a link:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=52461224

Great tribute Joe & Damian - Really liked the writeup on how you got into sabbath thru the Mob rules LP & how it set you on your musical journey - the video is fantastic & really makes me miss Ronnie even more - to see how great he sounded at his last show - what a loss to the music world - RIP Ronnie
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Great job guys, per usual. I've been a fan of this site for many years, and years before I "joined the conversation". Joe, funny you mentioned the cover caught your eye (Mob Rules), I remember buying many a record back in the day because the album covers caught my curiosity... "Roll on...Sail away..!"

OUTSTANDING!

Joe: Nice tribute and send off to RJD.

Damian and crew: great job on the video. It is so cool being able to re-live that moment. I am so happy the management allowed you to show and share this with us.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Thank you Joe & Damian, that was a very nice tribute. The video is awesome!! It's still tough to believe we won't see him live again and that was his last performance

Me getting into Sabbath is somewhat simular to Joe's story. Only since i'm younger it took place about tens years later when Dehumanizer came out. I knew Sabbath's big hits with Ozzy and Dio's big solo hits which sparked my intrest in both. Dehunmanizer came out when I was starting to collect music and it was the first Sabbath album I owned. I was completely blown away by the album and everyone's performances, especially Dio's. This album is the main reason i'm the huge Sabbath/Dio fan I am now

I also saw them live on this tour and it was an awesome show. It's also the loudest show i've ever been to. I couldn't hear right for about two weeks after. How the theater they played at that night still stands today is a mystery to me after how loud that show was It's always remaind my fondest Sabbath memory and now that Ronnie's gone it holds even a higher place for me.

Thanks once again for sharing that video with us
    Last edited by Damian; 06-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

The great thing about this tribute video is that it catchs a geniune Ronnie James Dio moment ( the shirst incident ) , for those not familiar with RJD's nature , he was 67 but he had the heart and passion of a little year boy , although he looks pretty mad in the vid I can assure you , if the same guy got to meet RJD somewhere after and apologized politely , he would have just smiled , forgive him truly and might even offer him one of his heartful hugs and kisses , their are no words ro describe the greatness of this man , but with all those amazing tributes filled with true love straight from the heart , you can get a little perspective .....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    Gloria Butler mentioned that they might want to use the footage in some capacity. Whether or not it ACTUALLY happens is unknown.

Given the nature of the material, I offered it to 'em for use for free. Didn't want to try and make a buck off of it - especially now. I think that footage needs to be SEEN, not caught up in endless negotiations over how much money I wanted to make off of it.

Sadly, Damian was prevented from filming anything more than that, so there isn't any more to use. :(
    Well done Joe & Damian. Classy move by the webmaster of a site for fans by a fan to offer the footage for free. Hopefully they will see it for the tribute that it is and include it with any future H&H DVD.

Thank you very much guys! This performance sounds AMAZING. Truly a fitting tribute to such an amazing singer.

Thanks Joe and thanks Damian for filming

Great work Joe! It's always fun to hear how fans came upon the band. How great it must have been to have met and chatted the way you did. And then for him to remember you the second time is even better!

Many thanks to Kamikazetom, Wicked Cricket, H&H, Sabbathfan78, IRON-MaN, mds, sn0wb1ind0zzy, and miracle for the kudos and nice words. It was my pleasure to take part in documenting that show for Joe, and bringing The Mob Rules video exclusively out to our members makes the whole experience that much sweeter.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Joe, wonderful thoughts on RJD! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Damian, excellent video of the concert. Would have been great to have the whole thing taped, but this in and of itself is a real gem. Just to catch Ronnie ducking the shirt and then stomping on it and telling the guy who threw it to 'fuck off' or whatever he said, is truly a classic moment. And for that alone this video is already vintage.

Thanks guys for this wonderful site. In my opinion this is the best rock/metal/band site on the web...by far!
    Last edited by celt; 06-07-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post

Damian, excellent video of the concert. Would have been great to have the whole thing taped, but this in and of itself is a real gem. Just to catch Ronnie ducking the shirt and then stomping on it and telling the guy who threw it to 'fuck off' or whatever he said, is truly a classic moment. And for that alone this video is already vintage.

Thanks guys for this wonderful site. In my opinion this is the best rock/metal/band site on the web...by far!
    Couldnt have said it better ! now lets just keep our fingers crossed that this vid will make it as a bonus feature on H&H's next live DVD ! if not , I believe it will certainly be used one way or the other on future Dio/H&H releases or documentaries ! great job !

I just want to clarify that I am not implying that Damian's video is classic because Ronnie got a little ornery for a minute. Ronnie James Dio is of course beloved by millions because of his magnificent vox, and not for stage antics. But the brief incident during Mob Rules simply shows what a feisty and passionate, not just singer, but also front-man and performer, as well as lover of life (things outside of music), that Ronnie was. He truly developed into a masterful performer, not just vocally, but also in regards to his stage presence and command of the crowd. Ronnie handled this situation masterfully and with wonderful grace. Being a likable and even lovable performer does not mean having to take people's guff, and more than once when seeing Ronnie in concert there was some idiot who tried to pull some crap, whether it was throwing garbage onstage or something else, and Ronnie always handled it masterfully.

Big T-H-A-N-K-S to Joe and Damian for the tribute and video. I enjoy reading how others discovered Sabbath w/RJD or Dio the band and I'll share my story for those who care. In 1980 I was all of 15 and had been playing guitar for 3 years. I was into Jimi Hendrix, Led-Zeppelin, Jeff Beck and was blown away by Mark Knopfler's Sultans Of Swing w/ Dire Straits.

Sabbath I was aware of but hadn't gotten into, mainly because of Ozzy. I just didn't care for his vocals. Then Heaven And Hell was released. That opening track was like a freight train blasting down the tracks and coming straight for you... Neon Knights made me a fan and the second song, Children Of The Sea, cemented the deal. The acoustic guitar was such an awesome touch and when the song kicked in I was hooked completely.

I was especially intrigued by Ronnie's voice. He wasn't a screamer - the guy could S-I-N-G. As a musician I have developed a good ear over the years and there are a lot of singers who just flat out cannot sing and have no business fronting a band. Ronnie was one of the few special ones. He had a power in his voice that still leaves me in awe. He has his own distinct style and his voice seemed a perfect marriage w/ Tony's guitar.

It's just my own opinion and preference, but I would rank Robert Plant - David Coverdale - Ronnie James Dio as the top three vocalists in rock music.

I remember well the Black & Blue Tour. The kids at my high school were excited and many who doubted a Black Sabbath w/ out Ozzy were convinced once Heaven And Hell was released. I still remember the tour shirt with the quote on the back...

The world is full of King's and Queen's
    Who blind your eyes
    And steal your dreams
    It's Heaven and Hell

When Ronnie departed Sabbath following Mob Rules I was heart-broken. It just didn't seem fair that such a great band would have differences they couldn't iron out. I think it was 1991 when I heard that Ronnie was going back to Sabbath and I was instantly excited. Dehumanizer is, in my opinion, a wonderful album. Classic moments throughout and Sabbath were once again back as they should have been all along.

When that reunion turned short-lived I figured that was the last chance to hear those guys together. We were left w/ three studio albums which were all great and one live album. Over the years I revisited my Sabbath albums {Heaven And Hell - The Mob Rules - Dehumanizer} and always wondered... why? Why couldn't they stick together?

When The Dio Years was released and three new songs appeared I was floored. When they toured to support that I was ecstatic. When they continued on and made a new album I was thinking that finally, after nearly 30 years they realized what I had known all along; that that band, Tony - Geezer - Vinnie - Ronnie, was one of the great bands of all time.

It was just a little over a year ago that The Devil You Know was released and the future of the band seemed greater than ever. I will never forget the feeling of hearing Bible Black for the first time. This band wasn't just back, they were back w/ a vengeance. As good as ever.

Life, as we all know, just isn't fair. Ronnie's music will live on forever and I am thankful to have had the privilege of being a fan of his and Sabbath since they first started all those years ago.

I can imagine what Heaven is like right now, w/ Jimi Hendrix on guitar, John Bonham on drums and Ronnie James Dio out front, singing his heart out.
    Let me go I've found addiction
    And it makes me feel alive...
    + Take me back +
    I must have the Bible Black...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    Big[B] started all those years ago.
    I can imagine what Heaven is like right now, w/ Jimi Hendrix on guitar, John Bonham on drums and Ronnie James Dio out front, singing his heart out.
    Dont forget Phil Lynnot on bass

Quote Originally Posted by miracle View Post
    Dont forget Phil Lynnot on bass
    Good call! I knew there was someone I was forgetting.
    Let me go I've found addiction
    And it makes me feel alive...
    + Take me back +
    I must have the Bible Black...

Rasmus Heide

Default Thank you Joe and Damian

Joe and Damian, your work on this particular tribute and this website in general is highly appreciated. Always specific and factual, never gushing and 'fanboy-like'. Respect!

I've come here a lot lately, and sadly now the main reason I've been coming here at all is no more. So much has been said about Ronnie's much too early passing. I just wanted to say thank you also to you guys.

This video is excellent, and shows that Ronnie's power, personality and onstage presence was intact right up to his last show. Can't say that for all his peers.

Rest in peace!

excellent stuff lads thanks very much for last gig of the greatest heavy metal singer of all time. I will miss him sadly and still cannot believe he is no longer with us. This video will live forever an historic piece of cinematography.

RPI Ronnie.

Mizery013

Default Ronnie James Dio Tribute

Thank you Joe and Damian for the great clip from Heaven & Hell's last concert. It was the one show I regretablely missed, for Heaven & Hell did not come to Buffalo, NY in 2009. We did see them when they came down in 2007 and 2008 and both were excellent shows. The Show in 2008 was at the Erie County Fair and they did not look happy to be there. We almost got VIP tickets, but when we finally got the money together, the VIP meet and greet Tickets were no longer avalaible But I did manage to get front row tickets. The Bouncers at the fair were doing there best to keep people from standing in front of the stage, and threatining to kick people out if they tried. When Heaven & Hell hit the stage, people Mobbed the front of the stage and shoved the bouncers out of the way. I of course was one of the mob who got right up front by Toni Iommi. It was a great show, but the band didn't seem happy to be there. My husband managed to get Ronnie to meet eye to eye with him and Mike gave Ronnie the thumbs-up gesture, which finally seemed to put a smile on Ronnie's face and Ronnie in turn gave Mike the thumbs up! Which seemed to turn the bands spirits around, and they put on one hell of a show. At the end of the concert, as the band members were throwing out picks Toni Iommi stood in front of me and literally showered me with his imitation guitar picks. I was attacked by the mob but it was worth it.

I got a new puppy on May 15 2009, and named him Black Sabbath ( because Heaven & Hell just didn't sound right) Sabbath for short, after one awesome band..Cleveland Ohio was as close as they came and with a new puppy we didn't want to leave him for 12 hours to make the trip there and back, we figured next year, not knowing their would never be another show..
    Ronnie was my favorite singer for Black Sabbath/DIO. Again, thanks for the wonderful Clip of Heaven & Hell's last show. There will NEVER be another Singer like Ronnie James DIO in our lifetime... Peace be with you Ronnie, for you will always live in our hearts and memories!
    Last edited by Damian; 06-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.

It's been pointed out to me that the video refers to the concert as "Ronnie's last concert". Specifically that he played Dio gigs after this, the actual last Dio concert ever anywhere being December 22, 2009.

While that's technically correct, the video I posted is referring to his last concert with Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell. I changed the title of the video on Youtube to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    It's been pointed out to me that the video refers to the concert as "Ronnie's last concert". Specifically that he played Dio gigs after this, the actual last Dio concert ever anywhere being December 22, 2009.

While that's technically correct, the video I posted is referring to his last concert with Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell. I changed the title of the video on Youtube to reflect that.
    Unless I'm not understanding what's being said here, wasn't this tour canceled, and the last Dio (the band) show was played 6/21/08? So the video would in fact be from the last time that Ronnie took the stage.
    Last edited by celt; 06-07-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Unless I'm not understanding what's being said here, wasn't this tour canceled, and the last Dio (the band) show was played 6/21/08? So the video would in fact be from the last time that Ronnie took the stage.
    Celt, you are correct. The canceled Dio tour dates are still LISTED on his official website, but the August 29. 2009 show was the FINAL performance Ronnie gave. The European tour was canceled on November 18, 2009, and if you look in his news updates, Ronnie wrote about his chemo treatments and put up a nice thank you note to the fans on December 21, 2009, which would have been the day before the final stop on his canceled tour. I think people are just looking at his website and assuming that he went out for six weeks of European shows with stomach cancer.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com