Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Every time he took the mic...

He was always striving for perfection. According to himself, he never reached that, but by trying his best to reach perfection, he was able to be at least good enough, for himself & his fans.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

I saw a couple of videos from the late 90's (with james kottak on drums), and even though it was a popularity low for Dio -the band- his voice was still at its best in my opinion. He was in his 50's, it's really impressive !

I agree that the holy diver live period is not perfect but I really think that from the start of H&H on, he has sung beautifully: I really love the live from Radio City Music Hall DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    Every time he took the mic...

He was always striving for perfection. According to himself, he never reached that, but by trying his best to reach perfection, he was able to be at least good enough, for himself & his fans.
    A man after my own heart!
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

I guess today is a good day to revive this thread. As I reflect on what would have been Ronnie's 71st birthday I think he was at his best vocally during the Black Sabbath years and maybe the first five years of Dio. These were the years where I feel Ronnie was truly at his best as a singer. As I write this I'm playing 'Die Young', arguably the single greatest vocal performance of his career. In short order, a TIMELESS classic! R.I.P. R.J.D.

Probably Rising-Mob Rules, but he didn't really lose any of his skill for a long time, it's just goes down to the style he focused on. Sure his voice declined with age but he adapted to that in a way that my perception of his skill level as a vocalist didn't change.
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

1984, tour of Last in Line, was his absolute peak, in all respects. He had all his best music to draw from, Rainbow, Sabbath, and Dio, and no less good tunes that only showed up with Sacred Heart.

I really enjoy his Rainbow days as well as his Sabbath days, so it's a tie for me.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

The Devil You Know tour for me, a cats whisker ahead of the Dehumanizer tour.

I discovered Dio with Master of the Moon and I have always preferred latter day Dio vocally. His voice and delivery have a presence Which came with age and experience.

Sure, he may have lost some of his upper range but unlike many singers who shall remain nameless, he adapted his style and approach to match he voice. Wacken, Radio City, Evil or Divine Live - I prefer latter day Dio. What I would give for a Dehumanizer show to be released in full...

That's not to criticise his earlier works - he has never had a bad spell vocally, he is remarkably consistent - especially where it really counts - live.
    "But that is not the question. Why are we here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come."
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

“Music does not influence research work, but both are nourished by the same sort of longing, and they complement each other in the release they offer.”
    —Albert Einstein --- To Paul Plaut, October 23, 1928. AEA 28–065

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Sir Winston Churchill

When he was ON STAGE!
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

I'm a pretty decent RJD fanboy, his pipes were some of the best ever. For me, and I'm quite sure I will be the only person of this mindset- Ronnie's voice peaked with the "Strange Highways" release. Seriously.

His passion, his anger, his delivery and his sonic soaring voice are spectacular on this effort. Stange Highways is criminally underrated and needs to be checked out again, if you haven't done so recently.
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

If anyone wants to check out how good Ronnie was, I recommend to go through these exemplary albums again...and again...until you notice that you won't tire at all...

Elf - Trying To Burn The Sun
    Rainbow - Rising
    Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules
    Dio - Lock Up The Wolves

No other singer on this earth has struck the world with a total of 4 classic bands and all the great albums made within those bands...
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Long Live Rock & Roll (Rainbow), H&H and Mob Rules and his first solo album Holy Diver where his peak...

Quote Originally Posted by IommiRules View Post
    I'm a pretty decent RJD fanboy, his pipes were some of the best ever. For me, and I'm quite sure I will be the only person of this mindset- Ronnie's voice peaked with the "Strange Highways" release. Seriously.

His passion, his anger, his delivery and his sonic soaring voice are spectacular on this effort. Stange Highways is criminally underrated and needs to be checked out again, if you haven't done so recently.
    Ah, yes, I concur! Ronnie was a man with many, many great moments, but his voice really reached super extraordinary heights on the Strange Highways album, and the ensuing tour. Listen to the bootlegs!! I've always been blown away by Strange Highways and have long wondered why a lot of Dio fans don't like it. Ronnie's voice was at its most powerful at this point of his career, and he was in his 50s at the time. Amazing! Ronnie's newfound power actually started, I believe, during the Dehumanizer period and lasted until about 1997. I do believe that this enormous power did wane somewhat after that, but was still magnificent until the very end.

I like his voice best on the dehumanizer album,
    Really strong and powerful!
    Vote leave if u want totally cool either way

"Last In Line" (See how we shine???) though my favorite era is "Long Live Rock and Roll" with "Gates of Babylon"

Dio sang his best with Rainbow and Sabbath, I really enjoy the Rainbow albums with Ronnie, the man was magical.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)