Thread: Country Music

Non Insect Overlord Joe Siegler's Avatar

Default Country Music

Most metal heads don't like country, and for the most part, I don't either. However, it occurred to me there's enough songs I actually like that I can put together a full CD of them. Here's my "country" list from iTunes:

1) Garth Brooks - Longneck Bottle
    2) Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire
    3) Little Texas - God Blessed Texas
    4) LeAnn Rimes - Blue
    5) Radney Foster - A Little Revival
    6) Garth Brooks - Ain't Goin Down (Till the Sun Comes Up)
    7) Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like a Woman!
    8) Rascal Flatts - Life is a Highway
    9) LeAnn Rimes - One Way Ticket
    10) Garth Brooks - Standing Outside the Fire
    11) Faith Hill - The Way You Love Me
    12) Garth Brooks - Hard Luck Woman
    13) Garth Brooks - Friends in Low Places (live)

Obviously, Garth Brooks is my favorite country artist. #12 is a cover of the old Kiss song by the same name, and IMO, Garth Brooks does it better than Kiss does. It's a fantastic cover.

LeAnn Rimes is there, as oddly enough when her career was just starting out, she was living in the same apartment complex in Garland, TX that I used to live in at the time, so we were neighbors. hahaha.
    Joe Siegler, Webmaster - Black Sabbath Online
    View my CD collection | View my movie collection | What I've been listening to

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." (Matthew 25:41)

I do like some country but mostly the older stuff by Charlie Pride, Hank Williams Sr & JR, Johnny Cash (was lucky enough to have seen him play 3 times) & Merle Haggard are a few of my favorites. Of the newer acts the two I really like are Dwight Yoakam & Hank III is also good he sounds a lot like Hank SR - I do like his live shows - last time I saw he started by playing all the country tunes (some great covers of Sr's songs included) then at the end of his set he announced he was going to play some Rock N Roll & played some killer stuff that was very heavy sounding - Really like his CD's Rising Outlaw & Lovesick Broke & Driftin - here's some Hank III songs

I put the dick in dixie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEY8ARSGHTU

Country Heroes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6B-X...eature=related
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Banned

Shania Twain is pretty good. I saw her in 1999 in Nashville.

That's a good list Joe. I married into a Country Girl. So I probably listen to a lot more Country then most folks on here. Toby Keith has some real good songs to which I made a whole CD from him and I also enjoy Brad Paisley. I love all of Johnny Cash's music.Today's Country is nothing like traditonal Country. Today its more pop and Southern Rock. Also Joe, if Garth Brooks ever comes out of retirement he puts on one hell of a show. Also agree that Garth does a better job on Hard Luck Woman then Kiss did.

I appreciate most all classic country. Today's country is just pop with a slide.

I can appreciate a couple of country artists. Willie Nelson has done a few things on radio broadcasts that I've heard, unaccompanied, just him & a guitar that sound pretty great. Not sure if he's released any albums like that. I'll have to look into that.

I like some of the country tinged pop that came out in the late 90's early 00's. Dixie Chicks, Shania, & Chely Wright. Aside from that I have a Dwight Yokam best of thats cool. There's a blues-rock guy named Chris Whitley that I really dig. He's got some material thats borderline Country.

I respect Johnny Cash, Hank 1st, Waylon, and some of those people. Although I can't get more then a song or two into it and I just gotta bail.

Banned

Shania Twain... :erk:

I do like Garth Brooks though... The Thunder Rolls is my favorite song of his.

I like SOME country. I like Kansas City Shuffle (local band... sings about drinkin and chicks near constantly, haha), I like Garth Brooks, I LOOOOOOOVE Steve Earle (Copperhead Road's one of my favorite songs EVER, no joke). I like SOME Johnny Cash songs.

Garth brooks is the only good country singer i have found. Other than him the country genre is something i like to stay away from.

The only artist I listen to who could be called country is Johnny Cash.

Other than that I pretty much stay away from the genre. Except for Zeppelin's Hot Dog, of course.

I grew up listening to my Dad's collection of country music, so I like a lot of the old stuff. In particular:

- Johnny Cash
    - Waylon Jennings
    - Hank Williams
    - Marty Robbins
    - Tom T. Hall
    - Charlie Rich (Older stuff)
    - Ray Price (A couple songs)
    We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchik View Post
    I appreciate most all classic country. Today's country is just pop with a slide.
    You totally nailed it. There's actually a term for it, there's "real country" and there's "hat country," pop with a cowboy hat.

I have great respect for the heavy pickers like Roy Clark and Buck Owens, and they're not too shabby in the songwriting and singing departments either - And I also have a soft spot for Conway Twitty, though he was certainly on the pop-side of real country. But for me, more than anything, it's about the writing and performances of Johnny Cash and Hank Williams (Sr). The songs really transcend the genre while still rooted in the culture.

Believe it or not, Garth Brooks, often accused of being so-called hat country, really is a talented writer and performer, I just haven't connected with his material all that much.

Shania Twain videos are excellent with the sound all the way off.

All the best,
    PAULIE

Banned

I realize I sorta like Brad Paisley too... at least the man can fucking solo.

I wouldn't exactly classify J Cash as country. Not sure what I would classify him as though.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

I just never could get into 'country' music, much at all. I don't really think this lack of a knack for country has got much to do with my long-standing, paramount pre-occupation with Metal, as many people would automatically assume. It's just that whatever little country music I have tried out, thus far, a majority of it just irritates and bores me big-time. From the musicianship, to the lyrics et al, country is something I find largely lacklustre and very underwhelming. For the record, I never liked the phenomenally popular Garth Brooks, that so many of you cited here. And Shania Twain, for one, is stupendously samey-samey sounding sucky, to my ears. Willie Nelson is another that just don't cut it with me.

However, I'd honestly say that I remember somewhat liking Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings and one or two other guys I just can't remember the names of, right now.

I used to quite enjoy the Dixie Chicks (and I swear it wasn't ONLY because of their 'politics' ). Those were pretty swell southern gals and I always liked a bunch of their catchy country tunes.

There's also one Reba McEntire that I definitely remember liking a lot, for a long time. I still have a couple of her very cool albums----including last year's Keep On Loving You.
    Last edited by RLP4ever; 06-12-2010 at 01:09 PM.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Banned

Hmm. I do love some country stuff but I must admit I loath the likes of Garth Brooks, Rascal Flats, Shania Twain , Sugarland & all the rest of the BON JOVI WITH A BANJO brigade.

I like the outlaw dudes... Johnny, Waylon (his son Shooter is pretty good too), Willie & Chris... Hank Williams Snr, Steve Earl & his lovely wife Alison Moorer. For a more alternate modern take, Alison's big sister Shelby Lynne has one hell of a voice & I honestly think that the likes of the Jayhawks have a more genuine country heart than most of the opo stars in a funny hat that call themselves country nowadays.

And then of course there was Gram Parsons. What a talent... what a waste. I play his solo stuff, his Burrito Bros stuff and less-so his Byrds stuff all the time.

I got to meet & talk a little with Johnny a couple of times. He gave me a gift that I'll always cherish. He was a man of religion but repected that I was not. He personified cool. And heart.

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    I wouldn't exactly classify J Cash as country. Not sure what I would classify him as though.
    Many consider him folk, and I can see why.

Of note, there are three performers that are in both the Country Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll hall of fame. Hank Williams Sr, Elvis Presley, and Johnny Cash. Personally, I don't consider Elvis to be country, but, apparently, the country people do. And compared to Elvis, Cash is country. (But hey, that's just me.)

All the best,
    PAULIE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    Most of the early country legends were BALLADEERS... In the true sense of the word...

Not the schmaltzy "love song" definition of today... but the "story in a song" definition.

These guys told a real story with their songs... The twang in their voice & guitar defined them further as country.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie 88 View Post
    Personally, I don't consider Elvis to be country, but, apparently, the country people do.
    I don't consider him country either, but he did release a few "Country" albums.

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    Most of the early country legends were BALLADEERS... In the true sense of the word...
    Marty Robbins definitely comes to mind.....

Marty Robbins is great - I always loved his voice - one of my favorties is the song Big Iron that he did just curious have any of you heard the Mike Ness (Social Distortion) solo LP Under the influence where he plays primarily country ? I thought it was pretty good - here's a link to his version of big iron - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M0nKL8NFJc

And the classic Marty Robbins version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqWgTi2bIOc
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

I have several Johnny Cash cds,i dont really see him as a country singer,i always have thought of him as a blues singer,his Folsom and San Quentin prison concert albums are among my favourites,i enjoy the banter between Cash and the inmates between songs as well.

And then of course there was Gram Parsons. What a talent... what a waste. I play his solo stuff, his Burrito Bros stuff and less-so his Byrds stuff all the time.
    I'm not a huge country fan, but I enjoy Gram Parsons' stuff quite a bit. Then of course there's the usual suspects like Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson, Willy Nelson and all those guys that had a bit of an edge to them. I also absolute love Whiskeytown and Ryan Adams' first 2 albums. Don't know if that counts.

Banned

Two more I'd file with the country that I like...

Tony Joe White... maybe more bluesy but his songs have been covered by many a country act.

Dusty Springfield.... Yeah the English pop chick from the 60's... Her MEMPHIS album is pure country... and fucking AWESOME!

I absolutely love THE Outlaw David Allan Coe. Who has pretty much been ignored and shunned by everyone in the Country music industry, even though he was an integral part of the Outlaw Country movement and an absolutely incredible and prolific songwriter, will he ever get the respect he deserves? probably not. And although he is in the Country category, his catalogue spans R&R, Blues, Southern Rock, Metal and even some hip hop!

I like Waylon, I have the Essential 2 disc set.
    Hank 3 is cool. I have one of his Cds--Straight to Hell I think it's called and I have his Metal CD under the group name Assjack.
    Some Charlie Daniels Band too.

Notice that there is no pop Country BS here.
    And if the sun never shined on us, the night time has fruit of the vine High on Fire-Brother in the Wind

I like country, but I wouldn't refer to any of the acts Joe listed as country. Outside of Johnny Cash, who fused rockabilly, folk, country and gospel, them people is just pop music fronted by people dressed in country duds.

Good call on the Flying Burrito Brothers. I was just playing the Gilded Palace of Sin the other day. Gram and Chris Hillman. What a team! Too bad Gram couldn't control his addictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqxq6xqoXI

How about George Jones? I always liked the lawnmower story:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/george+...biography.html

Almost everyone mentoined are great, but especially Gram Parsons, Merle Haggard and Hank Williams.

How about an upbeat Merle Haggard tune? (Not many of those):

Steve Earl & his lovely wife Alison Moorer.
    Well, Alison is now Steve's former wife but Steve Earle is one of my favourite artists of all time in any style or genre at all.
    Follow mens' eyes, As they look to the skies, The shifting shafts of shining, Weave the fabric of their dreams...

Guy Clark produced some of the best country-western music of all time. He's the guy I play whenever someone says, "I hate country!" I say, "I hate it too, for what's been done to it lately. This is what it used to be..." And then the magic happens with Mr. Clark...

Tom T. Hall
    Johnny Cash
    Waylon Jennings
    George Jones
    Hank Williams
    Jim Reeves
    Eddy Arnold

and plenty more were/are great artists worthy of respect especially in the songwriting department of the Classic Country artists.
    Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law

I like that Bakersfield stuff... Buck Owens, Red Simpson, Merle Haggard...

And more Texas Outlaw Country... Gary P. Nunn, Jerry Jeff Walker (before 1980), Rusty Wier, Robert Earl Keen, Terry Allen...

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

All due respect to The Man In Black, i prefer Willie, The Outlaw Gypsy King. Man, that voice. Being a classically trained guitarist, he's also the underestimated lead guitarist of the pack.

Reggae turned Country:

Last edited by Billy Underdog; 01-06-2017 at 04:30 AM.
    95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

Soria Moria, Ųstenfor sol og vestenfor måne, Norge

Country turned semi-Reggae

95% of everything i say is pure bullshit just for the fun of it. The other 95% is damn serious!
    Til įrs ok frišar ok forn sišr

I was probably about 5 or 6 when I first started to raid my Dad's record collection and listened to songs like this:

Even though I was too young to really understand what was going on in this song, the emotions I felt were quite profound, similar to when I first encountered "War Pigs".

A not so country tune from a country artist:

Quote Originally Posted by Axe fiend View Post
    I was probably about 5 or 6 when I first started to raid my Dad's record collection and listened to songs like this:

Even though I was too young to really understand what was going on in this song, the emotions I felt were quite profound, similar to when I first encountered "War Pigs".
    "El Paso" is a legend of Country, no question. And the the Charlie Rich sounds like a Golden Oldies rock song probably because most of those old classic country guys also played rock on the side or came from that genre. Conway Twitty, for example, was the king of the Elvis sound-a-likes in the 50s because his voice was so similar to The King's. There were about 3 or 4 other really good Elvis clones at the time.