Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dehumanizer

75 70.09%
  • The Devil You Know

32 29.91%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dehumanizer Vs. The Devil You Know

These are the last two albums we received from the Dio line up and I was curious as to which was more popular. Stylistically they are more similar to one another more so than Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules, in the sense that they are both super heavy. Personally I prefer Dehumanizer. I can't really quite put my finger on it, but I just felt the song writing was better even though I think that TDYK may be slightly heavier. Also on Dehumanizer Dio's vocal performance was better I think and had more fury to it. He just had this bite on that album that is fuckin sweet.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

I like them both very much. It is so hard to categorize any of the H&H/BS cd's, as I love them all. In this poll, TDYK is my favorite.
    "I can honestly say it’s truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Default The Devil You Know

Can't argue with the logic from either entry above. Dehumanizer is incredible, but The Devil You Know just gives me shivers!!!!!

If I made a list- it's possible 5 of my Top 10 Sab songs would come off these 2 albums. Double the Pain, Follow the Tears, Eating the Cannibals, I and Buried Alive. Incredible music.
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Dehumanizer for me.

It has a few duds on it such as Sins of the Father, but overall I think it has more really strong songs on it than The Devil You Know does.

I was a bit disappointed in TDYK actually ~ but maybe the expectations were built up too high (thanks to the internet)?? Personally I was hoping for something a bit more melodic something along the lines of the Heaven and Hell LP. versus the continuation of the Dehumanizer LP .......

but anyways ...........

IMO / On a scale of 1 - 10

Dehumanizer = 7
    TDYK = 6

btw ........
    H & H = 9
    Mob Rules = 8

Dehumanizer

It came out at the time I was getting into Sabbath. So it's the album that got me into them and Dio. Also, i'm not sure if it's really a fair vote though. Because Dehumanizer has been around for so much longer. It's had time stay with us or be there for us to listen to more than TDYK has so far.
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

I love both albums and listen to both quite often. Overall, Dehumanizer gets my vote.

Every single track on BOTH albums are killer, but Dehumanizer has a heavier tone.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

I find both these albums dreadfully dull and forgettable, and although I still have them in my collection, I can't see myself listening to them anymore.

However, I'd vote for Dehumanizer. Overall, it's slightly less sucky than TDYK.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

No contest. Dehumanizer has always underwhelmed me. The production stinks. And all but 3 of the songs just don't grab me at all. TDYK has AMAZING production firstly. And while there's 2 songs on it, that I'm not so into, it has songs that I consider all time classics. Songs that stand up next to Mob Rules, Die Young, Southern Cross etc.

Dehumanizer.

Although I'm not entirely impressed with either of them, Dehumanizer at least has some bright spots. It refers back to Sabbath's original vibe here and there in spots. I, After All, Computer God and a few others are decent.

TDYK is the first and only time I've been truly bored throughout an entire album released by any one of those 4 guys. The only song with any real energy is Eating the Cannibals and by the time that track kicks on, I've dozed off a couple times. Boring, uninspired and completely disappointing. I gave it many chances for about a month and haven't really paid attention to it since.
    Last edited by hipster doofus; 06-20-2010 at 11:23 AM.
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

TDYK. Had the band continued Follow The Tears and Bible Black would be considered classics 5 years from now.

Banned

This is really hard since both albums are absolutely briliant from start to finish...there isn't a single bad track on either one...But since Dehumanizer was my introduction to all things heavy I would have to choose that one.

But as said these are both brilliant albums from top notch musicians. Ronnie's vocals are soaring, his lyrics are brilliant as usual, Tony's guitar is heavy doomy and fast, Geezer's basslines are really in your face and Vinny's drumming is near perfect as well.

I picked dehumanizer but it was a tough call. While I think that The Devil You Know has more strong tracks on it, the strong tracks on Dehumanizer outway it. Songs like Computer God, I, Letters From Earth, Sins of the Father, and Afterall are all fantastic tracks, although Afterall is waaay better on the live album than on dehumanizer itself.

Both very strong sabbath albums. Hard choice, but due to maybe nothing more than nostalgia Dehumanizer wins.

The material, on every lyrical, conceptual and musical level, is much stronger on Dehumanizer than TDYK. I count songs like "Time Machine", "Computer God", "Buried Alive", "After All" and "I" as being among the very best songs in the band's discography. In contrast, TDYK produced only one song that I would rank among Sabbath's best - "Fear". The rest of the album features very little filler but a lot of above average rock songs that never quite rise to level of the inspired. It's much more workmanlike and a collection of songs rather than an unified statement. Dehumanizer feels tighter somehow, like they got much more mileage out of their collaboration. Perhaps the lack of tension I hear on TDYK compared to earlier albums reflects the better relations between the band members? Who knows.

Dehumanizer by far.

Dehuamizer has some amazing songs. After All (The Dead), the epitome of doom. TV Crimes, my all time favorite up tempo Sabbath song of any era, heavy as all hell. Letters From Earth, another great doom song. Too Late, one of my all time favorite power ballads, and IMO Sabbath's most underrated song of any era. The soft verses are beautiful, the choruses are heavy and evil as hell, and the bridge is rocking. I, another amazing song.

Dio's vocals are a lot better on Dehumanizer, like someone said, they have a lot more fury, which fits the music great. On the Devil You Know, he has a much more melodic approach, which doesn't fit the dark and heavy music at all IMO. Also, I just can't get into The Devil You Know. Not one song excites me. One of the all time most disappointing albums for me.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

definitely Dehumanizer

every song apart from Sins of the Father is great. Dio's vocals sound reenergized and angrier. Iommi's riffs are in your face, and Vinny's playing is so damn loud and powerful. TDYK is a good album, but Dehumanizer is a masterpiece.

TDYK by far. Dehumanizer has a terrible sterile production that manages to hide the quality of the songs.

I don't think it is even close, I went with Dehumanizer. The song writing is just much better. There is nothing on TDYK that even comes close to After All, I or Computer God. I love the Dehumanizer record and have a hard time even getting through TDYK.

Dehumanizer.

I bought this album in Argntina in 1993, i traveled there to see Metallica´s Black album tour.
    I wasn´t that much into Sabbath to know about the different linups and all. I knew it was one of the fathers of the genre, but thouth taht maybe now they were recording cds out of retirement boredom, hehe.

So heavy that it took me a few months to really enjoy it. Now is one of my fave SAbbath of all time. Along with Heaven & Hell, the top of the Dio sabbath.

Dehumanizer.

There is no song on TDYK that is as good, to me, as I.

Dehumanizer by a large margin. There are 3 really good songs on TDYK. The rest of the album is kinda dull, honestly. Dehumanizer just plain rocks, from start to finish. Funny thing, first time I listened to Dehumanizer, many, many moons ago, I did not like it at all! Of course, I was expecting more of the same from the H and H, and Mob Rules albums. But the more I listened to it, it fast became my favorite Dio era Sabbath album. Still is.
    Life Member of the NRA

Big fan of Dehumanizer here. TDYK has great tracks but it is not paced well -- too many tracks are the same tempo and same style. Extract any single track from the album and you've got gold, but as an album it lacks variety. It is still growing on me though... I find that the more I listen to it the more I enjoy it each time. It's good, make no mistake... but look at this: it takes until track SEVEN to get an uptempo song. I would like to insert a "lighter" song as well, see "Children of the Sea" or "Sign of the Southern Cross". Part of what made the Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules so special was their variety. The Devil You Know seems to try to take 10 big epic songs and have that sum up to one big epic album.... but it kind of doesn't work that way. You need a few more "easier to chew on" tracks so that the "meat" goes down better. Dehumanizer has "TV Crimes" and "Time Machine" to speed things up a bit, and "Too Late" for a "lighter" number. I find it to be paced reasonably well and therefore find it easier to listen to from beginning to end.

One punch TKO win to Dehumanizer on this one.

It was such a dark and uncompromising album, and really, really heavy - from the opening clinks and drums of Computer God to the meatgrinding riff of Buried Alive, it was classic Sabbath from start to finish.

Comparing it to the Martin era stuff that preceded it...

it was like say "Tyr" was a nerd that had just run into the biggest scariest bully of it's life and was mashed to a pulp - just in comparison of themes and tone of the music (not that I hate Tyr, but in no way shape or form can it be considered "heavy" in comparison to Dehumanizer, which to me is the heaviest Sabbath album since Sabotage).

Sure, Ronnie's vocal style was harsher than the more melodic work he had done before with Sabbath and with Dio, but it suited the mood of the music perfectly.

The Devil You Know showed a band that was happy to play together, but it seriously lacked musical ideas and although Ronnie and Geezer are terrific, Iommi and Appice let the side down terribly, and the band release an album that can't decide whether to be a Sabbath or Dio one (which is a good thing that it's a Heaven and Hell album, I guess) in tone, and is ultimately disappointing in it's sheer mediocrity, given the talent involved making it.

To think that TDYK could be the final release of music of Ronnie's career is not a happy thought for me - he deserved a much better closing bow than that.

So I unashamably vote for Dehumanizer.

I like them both but prefer The Devil you know. When Dehumanizer came out I wore it out just like i did with the devil you know. The thing about Dehumanizer is I always thought it was rushed. I believe Dio wasn't fully over his breakup with Sabbath the first time and still held some anger at the band. It's a very angry sounding album.

Dehumanizer all the the way for me.I dont see where anyone gets that TDYK carries on from dehumanizer at all,i dont hear it.Dehumanizer is so agressive and confident all the way through,theres not one bad song.It flows good,the sound is so different than any thing before from them and it sounds very updated.TDYK has great sound quality but some songs just sound very dated and the drummung very by the numbers.Some songs sound like leftovers.Love bible black when i first heard it i thought it was kick ass,neverwhere,fear,ftt great.Just overall i was expecting more.It just sounds like it kinda went backwards especially after iommis badass fused album.Although to there credit TDYK is great for a album made as quick as it was,lets not forget devil cried and shadow.I think the next album would have been a masterpiece.

Dehumanizer for me is one of my favorite albums ever, Sabbath or otherwise. If I had 10 albums to bring with me to a deserted island sort of scenario, it would be on the list. I personally don't see any weak points on it, I love it all the way through. It was also my first Sabbath album I ever got, so theres something to be said about that as well.

As for TDYK, I went out to see them on the tour, got the album, was rooting for them...and I REALLY like Fear and Bible Black, but alot of the album is forgettable to me, I don't know I see some people here who say its their favorite or they love it more than Dehumanizer, and I wish I could see that or someone maybe can explain me something I am missing...but then again music is so subjective what floats one persons boat doesn't always another. I did give it alot of plays when it first came out, I don't dislike TDYK its just some of the song don't stick in my mind - even if while I listen to I enjoy it.

Dehuman is not an album I go back to listen to much if at all, except for Too Late and I, which I have on a best of Dio Sab CD, I never revisit it. The production is cold and harsh, the album sounds strained and forced to me. I actually skip TV Crimes, Time Machine and Buried Alive, 3 forgetable songs that I would have left off the album. Dio on an MTV interview when th ealbum came out said they were trying for a more modern sound, and that's what it sounds like to me, now dated, it sounds like an early 90's metal album. Most of Sabbath's stuff is timeless, but Dehumanizer has a dated sound to me, precisely because they tried to make it sound modern, ultimately it now sounds dated.

TDYK, I really like these 5 songs a lot, Bible Black, Double The Pain, R&R Angel, Follow The Tears and Breaking Into Heaven. I also like the production a lot more, much warmer sounding to me, and heavier then Dehumanizer, which sounds steril and cold. I picked TDYK which has at least 5 songs I can see myself revisiting over the years.
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 06-28-2010 at 08:28 AM.

I like them both but prefer Dehumanizer; it's just more brutal and harsh, and has more overall energy. TDYK is doomier ... which is what I fell in love with Sabbath for in the first place. But a lot of the uptempo stuff on TDYK sounds forced to me, and rather bland, whereas I find Dehumanizer exciting to listen to. And lyrically Dehumanizer is a lot stronger, IMO, though I don't particularly listen to metal for lyrics.

what the hell is the matter with you people? TDYK was fucking brilliant I tell you, just brilliant.
    "i'm 12 and i love dark sabboth"

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    what the hell is the matter with you people? TDYK was fucking brilliant I tell you, just brilliant.
    From Michigan to my Canadian brother... AMEN!

I like TDYK...but Dehumanizer is quite possibly one of my favorite Sabbath albums of all time. There isn't a single weak track on the album and I can listen to it over and over again all day every day. It's heavier than most Sabbath material, but still has the classic Sabbath feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by WarningRules View Post
    Yeah, but we're being asked to vote for our favourite flavour of ice cream. I might think that TDYK is great but for me Dehumanizer was better. That doesn't diminish TDYK in any way, it's just that in A vs B one has to win and the other has to not win.

Default Tough cal...

I do like both albums tremendously; I do think "Dehumanizer" is slightly stronger; I think "The Devl You Know" is a bit sludgey (sp?) not quite as "snappy" as Dehumanizer; I also like a lot of the lyrics on the 1992 album a bit more. I do wonder how "The Devil You Know" would have felt as an album had the three "Black Sabbath: Dio Years" been included on it? That would have made things different for sure. Back to "Dehumanizer" I think "Computer God" & "Letters From Earth" are just, well, classic. Great question for debate. Am just sad there will be no more, selfish I know.....
    TheBeaverintheManHat

Quote Originally Posted by THEBEAVERINTHEMANHAT View Post
    I do like both albums tremendously; I do think "Dehumanizer" is slightly stronger; I think "The Devl You Know" is a bit sludgey (sp?) not quite as "snappy" as Dehumanizer; I also like a lot of the lyrics on the 1992 album a bit more. I do wonder how "The Devil You Know" would have felt as an album had the three "Black Sabbath: Dio Years" been included on it? That would have made things different for sure. Back to "Dehumanizer" I think "Computer God" & "Letters From Earth" are just, well, classic. Great question for debate. Am just sad there will be no more, selfish I know.....
    TheBeaverintheManHat
    Thats how I listen to it.

I burned myself a copy of The Devil You Know with the three dio years songs included.
    1. The Devil Cried
    2. Shadow of the Wind
    and Ear in the Wall last after Breaking into Heaven.

The three songs fit well enough, especially The Devil Cried and Shadow of The Wind.

Makes for a better listen I think, but its still a great album. Both The Devil You Know and Dehumanizer are amazing albums.

The Devil You Know is a brillant album!!! But Dehumanizer is better

For me this is my review for the Dio's Years in Sabbath:

1) Heaven And Hell: 10
    2) Mob Rules: 8,5
    3) Dehumanizer: 8,5
    4) The Devil You Know: 8

I prefer Dehumanizer's songs over TDYK.

When Dehumanizer came out, I had pretty much given up on Sabbath and Dio as both had been in declince for some time, releasing formulaic and uninspired albums.

Dehumanizer wasn't the greatest Sabbath album to my ears but it felt like a shot in the arm. Songs like Computer God were welcomed, as they didn't sound like anything Sabbath (or anyone) had ever done before) After All to me is the ultimate doom song. Ronnie's voice is in top form and Tony and Geezer are very solid. However, it did feel like some of the songs were fillers and although the production signature is unique, it's kind of a flawed experiment in some respects. Plus Appice is going through the motions.

TDYK has one thing going for it: better production. Where it is lacking is musically. The problem is not so much that it is slow but that it is rather monotonous. But still, I was ready to cut these guys a break. The main players averaged something like 60 year old at the time. I wish by that point that Appice had been flushed in favor of a more imaginative and fluid drummer but hey, what can you do.

I have to go with the majority on this one and so, I'm voting for Dehumanizer as the not only superior of the two, but the FAR superior of the two. It's not even a close race...

I've been a fan of both Black Sabbath and Dio in all of his incarnations over the years and when Dehumanizer was UNLEASED to a public that was obsessed with GRUNGE music, it was not well received, but it was well received by me. It had an undeniable energy and power to it. Dio adopted a far more evil and venomous vocal delivery. He actually sounded and WAS pissed off when he sung the songs on Dehumanizer and in fact, to me, Strange Higways and Angry Machines were continuations of this. While I loved his Rainbow days and his 2 first Dio solo albums, I was blown away by his new vocal approach in 1992. Not only that, but the band was tighter and heavier than it had been since Sabotage. From the opening Computer God, to then ending of Buried Alive, it just felt like a full frontal assault. It was so brutal and had LIFE injected into an otherwise lifeless band (had been since 1983). Iommi's riffs were creative and catchy and all over the place. There was a great combination of speed and doom. Appice's drums were out of this world. Geezer's bass was bone crushing, but it was Ronnie that shined for me. I think we can remain objective here and say that Ronnie's voice took a MAJOR decline in around 2005. Prior to that, his singing voice was CLEAN and tender and he was able to do a lot more vocally (both speed, aggression and melodic) and that was evident on Dehumanizer. On TDYK, Ronnie's voice was shot (still amazing for a man his age), but he lacked the BITE and the energy. If he would have had his Dehumanizer voice, on TDYK, it would have made a world of difference.

I still say that TDYK was uninspired and truly was a Dio inspired solo record with Iommi, Geezer and Appice taking a back seat in the creative department. All you have to do is look at Iommi's last 3 solo records to realize that he still had it in him to come up with SICK riffs, but Ronnie was leading the boat on TDYK and sadly, Ronnie was no longer the same guy he was only a decade before. It was a lackluster and uninspired effort. He just didn't sing with passion and with energy and the rest of the guys were on autopilot. On Dehumanizer it sounded like all the guys were performing the songs at GUN POINT and it came across.

In closing, I LOVE Ronnie, from his early Elf Days (Live at the Bank), to his very last solo effort from 2004 (Master of the Moon) and I love Sabbath from 1969-1987 and Dehumanizer was exactly what this man needed to fall back in love with the band. So the production wasn't great. It just added to the garage and industrial feel of the album. Iommi from 1996 to 2005 (his 3 solo efforts) impressed me far more than he did during the Martin Era, but when they released TDYK, I was very disappointed, KNOWING what these guys were all capable of. I won't include the 3 songs from 2007, because most of you don't know, but they actually COMPLETELY ripped off a song from a Canadian Heavy metal band that they toured with in the early 80's. Shadow of the Wind is a COMPLETE rip off of Shadow of the Cross from a band called Exciter. IF you doubt me, go on youtube and listen for yourself.
    Last edited by Danimal77; 07-06-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal77 View Post
    I have to go with the majority on this one and so, I'm voting for Dehumanizer as the not only superior of the two, but the FAR superior of the two. It's not even a close race...

I've been a fan of both Black Sabbath and Dio in all of his incarnations over the years and when Dehumanizer was UNLEASED to a public that was obsessed with GRUNGE music, it was not well received, but it was well received by me. It had an undeniable energy and power to it. Dio adopted a far more evil and venomous vocal delivery. He actually sounded and WAS pissed off when he sung the songs on Dehumanizer and in fact, to me, Strange Higways and Angry Machines were continuations of this. While I loved his Rainbow days and his 2 first Dio solo albums, I was blown away by his new vocal approach in 1992. Not only that, but the band was tighter and heavier than it had been since Sabotage. From the opening Computer God, to then ending of Buried Alive, it just felt like a full frontal assault. It was so brutal and had LIFE injected into an otherwise lifeless band (had been since 1983). Iommi's riffs were creative and catchy and all over the place. There was a great combination of speed and doom. Appice's drums were out of this world. Geezer's bass was bone crushing, but it was Ronnie that shined for me. I think we can remain objective here and say that Ronnie's voice took a MAJOR decline in around 2005. Prior to that, his singing voice was CLEAN and tender and he was able to do a lot more vocally (both speed, aggression and melodic) and that was evident on Dehumanizer. On TDYK, Ronnie's voice was shot (still amazing for a man his age), but he lacked the BITE and the energy. If he would have had his Dehumanizer voice, on TDYK, it would have made a world of difference.

I still say that TDYK was uninspired and truly was a Dio inspired solo record with Iommi, Geezer and Appice taking a back seat in the creative department. All you have to do is look at Iommi's last 3 solo records to realize that he still had it in him to come up with SICK riffs, but Ronnie was leading the boat on TDYK and sadly, Ronnie was no longer the same guy he was only a decade before. It was a lackluster and uninspired effort. He just didn't sing with passion and with energy and the rest of the guys were on autopilot. On Dehumanizer it sounded like all the guys were performing the songs at GUN POINT and it came across.

In closing, I LOVE Ronnie, from his early Elf Days (Live at the Bank), to his very last solo effort from 2004 (Master of the Moon) and I love Sabbath from 1969-1987 and Dehumanizer was exactly what this man needed to fall back in love with the band. So the production wasn't great. It just added to the garage and industrial feel of the album. Iommi from 1996 to 2005 (his 3 solo efforts) impressed me far more than he did during the Martin Era, but when they released TDYK, I was very disappointed, KNOWING what these guys were all capable of. I won't include the 3 songs from 2007, because most of you don't know, but they actually COMPLETELY ripped off a song from a Canadian Heavy metal band that they toured with in the early 80's. Shadow of the Wind is a COMPLETE rip off of Shadow of the Cross from a band called Exciter. IF you doubt me, go on youtube and listen for yourself.
    You seriously need to just go away...

Quote Originally Posted by MH1986 View Post
    You seriously need to just go away...

I couldn't agree more.

As I've asked of one other unqualified critic, I shall ask you also 77... Where can I purchase your inspired musical works? Who are you to say Ronnie's voice was shot and that musically TDYK was uninspired? You don't like the release, fine. But were you in the studio? Did you witness Tony yawning through developing riffs? Did Geezer nod off and fall asleep on your shoulder? Did Vinnie walk right up to you and say, "My God, I'm so uninspired!" The arrogance involved to take your feelings and pretend they are FACTS when dealing with somebody else's WORK. So, please... where can I purchase your musical recordings. You do have some, right?

Please, in the immortal words of my friend above... just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by IommiRules View Post
    Please, in the immortal words of my friend above... just go away.
    His assessment was pretty coherent, well written and seemed from the heart. We all perceive music differently. He compared the two releases and stated how he felt. Isn't that kind of the point of this thread?
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.