Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

i found another review of the gig HERE with some footage and this paragraph in it
    Moments after coming off stage, Hughes revealed exclusively to the Express & Star that there will be a tribute album, “with some mega stars”, to raise funds for the charity, as well as a major show in Los Angeles in March.

That would be good for sure ! Although Iommi did say that HV festival would be H&H's only tribute.

I've listened to the show and I'm note quite sure of what I really think for the moment : I've heard stuff that I found amazing, weird, and a lot of other impressions... It looked very emotional altogether.

Glenn Hughes seemed to be a bit too show-offy for me at times.

Without blowing my own trumpet, I was somehow convinced that they'd do Turn Up The Night, sung by Jorn. It was really great as expected and he proved that he's really a worthy singer.

Overall, the combination of Hughes's unique style and Lande perfect Dio imitation was very fitting for this tribute

Quote Originally Posted by LeCroix View Post
    i found another review of the gig HERE with some footage and this paragraph in it

Moments after coming off stage, Hughes revealed exclusively to the Express & Star that there will be a tribute album, “with some mega stars”, to raise funds for the charity, as well as a major show in Los Angeles in March.
    Thanks for sharing this info, LeCroix.

A tribute album "with some mega stars" will surely get my money.

I reckon the "major show" in Los Angeles will also be filmed & released on a DVD.

I guess this High Voltage Festival show will be released at some point too, maybe as a bonus feature on the upcoming Heaven & Hell live DVD set along with the newly engineered Heaven & Hell show from 2009...God I already want that release to become reality, full of material, heavy to the bone.
    Last edited by Sabbathman; 07-27-2010 at 04:19 AM.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
    Reports say Anselmo came on stage and "grabbed" the mike from Hughes. I asked Geezer if it was planned. No reply yet.
    Even if it wasn't, Phil's a really good guy that got along well with Dio. Dio probably would've been rocking it the fuck out in Heaven, watching him.

i'd say that planned show will not be just about Sabbath. it will be mix of everything.

I was there, it was an amazing experience.

The camera guys down the front were filming for the screens that were at the side of the stage.. though if a DVD from those cameras does appear it will be good.

RIP Dio.

Wouldn't rule it out. Mind you, the bootleg of the Camden gig with Halford, Iommi, Butler and Ward from 2004 was sourced from such a recording. If there was demand enough for that to come out, I'm sure this will wind up circulating as well.

Of course, I'd prefer an official DVD, with proceeds going to the Stand Up and Shout-foundation. But if I have to download a bootleg DVD and make a donation myself, then so be it.

Just found this on Blabbermouth - the entire show for streaming - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=143706 - sounds good so far - listening to Turn up the nighht now
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post
    Just found this on Blabbermouth - the entire show for streaming - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=143706 - sounds good so far - listening to Turn up the nighht now
    Thanks for posting, listening to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazetom View Post
    Thanks for this, been want to hear these for ages, and esspecially Turn up the night! Thanks

Well I felt that Glenn did not do justice to the songs. He is good with his own style of singing. Jorn was awesome nevertheless.

Is it me or was the crowd incredibly lame? WTF? In the videos I saw they were mostly just standing there. What a pathetic audience. Are all British shows like that?
    May 16, 2010. RIP, RJD.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Are all British shows like that?
    Actually no... I don't know what the problem with this mob are... Every UK festival I ever attended had such a surge & crush of people at the front... This lot might as well be asleep.

Banned

Maybe they were just still upset over Ronnie's death. Who knows.

I watched a few - Jorn seems to be able to sing the songs but Hughes seems to be more of a front man. I also got worried once or twice that Jorn would know someone over with the mic stand. I can hear doom laden Iommi riffs, dark Butler with some quality Jorn vocals in my mind but dont think the gig would be very good.

Maybe Jorn was nervous - dont really know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
    Yeah, it might have hit them that they will never see him on stage again when it wasn't RJD who climbed up to the drum riser during Mob Rules. It actually looked weird even via YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHMAN View Post
    I watched a few - Jorn seems to be able to sing the songs but Hughes seems to be more of a front man. I also got worried once or twice that Jorn would know someone over with the mic stand. I can hear doom laden Iommi riffs, dark Butler with some quality Jorn vocals in my mind but dont think the gig would be very good.

Maybe Jorn was nervous - dont really know.
    I've seen plenty of his live performances and while he delivers vocals with high quality he really isn't that good performer. He can be better than in that Tribute gig though, so he might have been nervous too.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt
    Or maybe they were there to see ZZTop...

Quote Originally Posted by devilmaycare View Post
    Or maybe they were there to see ZZTop...
    That's preposterous I tell you. PREPOSTEROUS!!!

Seriously, that could well be the cause, but hence the numerous Dio shirts in the crowd (according to some pics, reviews and vids) I doubt it's just that
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler

The crowd from what I can see are all 35-60 yr olds, these aren't mosh pit screaming teenagers. The Festival in general were old classic bands, drawing old classic audiences. Come on, when was the last time any of you past the age of 35 faught your way down front and jumped up and down screaming in front of the band..hell I never did that even when I was 18... this wasn't OzzFest where you have alot of young people in the audiance to see young bands. Ever seen older Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra audiances, any of the behive hair doo'd women still jumping up and down and screaming? ....well, maybe some of the Elvis ones...lol.

I'd say the average age of the crowd was 40something and the weather was far too hot/humid for much dancing/moshing.

Everyone around me was singing along and headbanging so the crowd wasn't that dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    Ever seen older Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra audiances, any of the behive hair doo'd women still jumping up and down and screaming? ....well, maybe some of the Elvis ones...lol.
    We're talking about Turn Up The Night and Neon Knights though, not Love Me Tender and Angel Eyes. Can't there be a happy medium between moshing/screaming and Night of the Living Dead?
    ***Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of other internet people, the internet police or the internet in general. It is to be assumed that all sentences are automatically followed by "IMO, BUDDY" as to not offend other internet people and start an internet fight.

Banned

The crowd from what I can see are all 35-60 yr olds, these aren't mosh pit screaming teenagers. The Festival in general were old classic bands, drawing old classic audiences. Come on, when was the last time any of you past the age of 35 faught your way down front and jumped up and down screaming in front of the band..hell I never did that even when I was 18
    Man you must be a lot of fun to go to a concert with!

Ever been to a Springsteen show? Similar demographic, and 80000 people going fucking NUTS for 3 hours... even the ones in the back row of the stadium... Age doesn't have to be a factor at all! As HD says... there's a middle ground... Shit... There's even a first step... At least LOOK like you're having fun!

I don't buy the mourning for RJD stuff either... I thought the idea was to CELEBRATE his legacy!

I don't think they were probably as lathargic as they seems on YOUTUBE, which had terrible sound by the way. I've seen the The Boss live, and yes, crowds are great, but an H&H tribute show is no Springsteen... and yes, I am boring at concerts...and sporting events.

I think it was Ozzy who said that it's the fans that he comes to see. If that were the case, Ozzy may have been disappointed.

Me? I could careless about the crowd at this concert. I really do think we're over thinking on this one trivial thing. I'll join you Cricket, I'm not much of a mosher myself. I enjoy the music, which I am when listening to the bootleg I found thanks to a new member of the board.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

The crowd from what I can see are all 35-60 yr olds, these aren't mosh pit screaming teenagers. The Festival in general were old classic bands, drawing old classic audiences. Come on, when was the last time any of you past the age of 35 faught your way down front and jumped up and down screaming in front of the band..hell I never did that even when I was 18... this wasn't OzzFest where you have alot of young people in the audiance to see young bands. Ever seen older Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra audiances, any of the behive hair doo'd women still jumping up and down and screaming? ....well, maybe some of the Elvis ones...lol.
    Man, u got me laughing and nodding with my head. That´s exactly me (35) attending a show today. Can´t stand the hard work of a metal mob. Yes i´ve been there and done that plenty of times years ago (Metallica, Ozzy, Megadeth, Faith No More, Maiden, Purple and plenty more) right there in mosh hell, no tshirt and all sweaty... but I can´t handle it no more, or more accurately, now i like to see and listen a band without being mobed, just chilling and enjoing in my own way.
    My girlfriend went with me to the ACDC gig las year and she wanted to be right in front of the stage with all the crowd in our backs jump9ing and shouting (i´m talking 55thousands southamerican strong crowd in Argentina) , she´s in her 20´s

"na baby, we´re gonna see it from here, like the old man i am"

Did everyone forget the actual bill? We went over that a few weeks ago. Bottom line, it was an incredibly BAD IDEA to do this tribute to Dio at such a shitty concert. What kind of Sabbath fans do you expect on such a bill, exactly? It's botched job.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffs View Post
    Did everyone forget the actual bill? We went over that a few weeks ago. Bottom line, it was an incredibly BAD IDEA to do this tribute to Dio at such a shitty concert. What kind of Sabbath fans do you expect on such a bill, exactly? <insert poster here.>
    I would have gone had this concert happened in the States. Most of these bands aren't "shitty" as you think they are.

Regardless, the audience not being active, as I said before, should not really be a big deal.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

I'm seventeen, and even I'm not much of a mosher or headbanger. Never done either of those things at any concert I've been to. Every concert I've been to, I just enjoy watching the band members do what they do and enjoy the music.

Yeah, would have been nicer if the crowd was a little louder. But being physically active does not bother me. However, it strikes me as if the audience is bored. As I mentioned, I'm not physically active at concerts, but at least I clap/yell loud to show that I appreciate the music. With this crowd, it does not seem like very many of the people are doing that even.
    Last edited by SabbathKing93; 07-31-2010 at 12:52 AM.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

I think I'll continue this chain of describing ones concert behaviour

I'm seventeen too and I'm not into mosh pits, wall of deaths or etc. I think they belong to extreme metal. But it's not that I just hum how the performance was most delightful and ask the band to turn down the volume so I can enjoy the crescendos I do clap, raise my fist (with a rebel yell ) and etc. while still enjoying the music itself without "going fucking crazy" (pun intended).

But I think that this particular audience must have gotten lost on their way to the evening opera.
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 07-31-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Holy crap, I'm the same as these guys, I'm not one to mosh pit and I'm seventeen also. lol This is weird.

Banned

I'm 20 and I go fucking crazy for bands. I don't buy this "oh man not moshing is classy" bullshit.

Its fine if you don't like to mosh but it's perfectly respectable to mosh at a METAL show.

I'm 20 and I go fucking crazy for bands. I don't buy this "oh man not moshing is classy" bullshit.

Its fine if you don't like to mosh but it's perfectly respectable to mosh at a METAL show.
    Yeah, you don't have to be classy on a metal concert . I'm just not into moshpits or wall of deaths or etc, but it's okay if others do it. I just expressed that it's more of a extreme metal scene thing.

Banned

It depends. I got DRUG into a mosh pit, against my free will and decked in the mouth.
    I did not find that respectable at all. This was back in 04 with Sabbath, on the lawn. Tampa fairgrounds.

The same thing happened at W. Palm Beach 05. Except there was a shitload of sod flinging.
    That was epic. I was throwing sod.

Actually, I cannot remember which show had the sod flinging. I want to say it was WPB.

Banned

There's a difference bewteen moshing & showing a little enthusiasm. As I said I avoid pits like the plague now... But I've never been one to stand with my arms folded or my hand in my pockets... Even when I was at a gig checking out a band for work purposes, it wasn't like I stood there taking notes...

Lande kicks Huhges' a*** on this.
    If Tony & Geezer wants to continue doing Dio era Sabbath songs, this was one strong application from Jorn.

I hope they put this out on dvd, or at least as a bonus feature on the hopefully forthcoming Heaven & Hell live dvd (is that still happening?)

maybe it's that all those 40+ got a cervical discal hernia from too much headbanging when they were 18, or perhaps from moshing in a Manowar concert? I know one guy who did

It seems that one of Iommis guitars was stolen during the High Voltage tribute gig. Official site: http://iommi.com/index.php?story=76

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    It seems that one of Iommis guitars was stolen during the High Voltage tribute gig. Official site: http://iommi.com/index.php?story=76

XD. AGAIN?!
    Isn't this the second guitar that's been stolen from him?

h4nn1

cool

i love this site