Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default RONNIE JAMES DIO Tribute Album And Los Angeles-Area Concert In The Works

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=143554

Former DEEP PURPLE vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes, who took part in this past weekend's tribute concert to Ronnie James Dio at the High Voltage festival in London, has revealed exclusively to Express & Star that there will be a Dio tribute album, "with some megastars," to raise funds for to the Ronnie James Dio "Stand Up And Shout" Cancer Fund, as well as a major show in Los Angeles in March 2011.

Hughes and Norwegian vocalist Jorn Lande joined surviving HEAVEN & HELL members Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice for Saturday's concert, the proceeds of which will also go to the "Stand Up And Shout" charity....

That's great for the cancer fund, but as far as tribute shows and tribute bands, enough already. There's an old saying in Italian, "Tre giorni" (three days), "Tre giorni" and we dance. RJD was honored with a great funeral, a tribute concert, it's now time to move on.

Well, i hope Metallica gets involved somehow .........

here's a little impromptu jam session shortly after Ronnie died. None of them knew the lyrics or songs ~ but could you imagine if they were to rehearse some of it ??? "Die Young" would be an absolute killer, Metallica ~ ized !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVa4-d3Xi0

Quote Originally Posted by Sahand View Post
    Hey...Wait a Minute...is it going to be just them? Tony,Geezer,Vinny,Jorn and maybe Glenn? Isn't it going to be an all metal star concert with guests like what they did in FREDDIE MERCURY's tribute?
    Well Sahand, you're prayers have been answered. A little later in fact, but on a CD, in the studio.

I'm glad this is happening, but I can see Wicked's point. But in my opinion, if Michael Jackson had a year long stand after his death in remembrance, I don't see why Ronnie shouldn't have the same treatment. Sure, Ronnie is not as popular as Michael was, but Dio has had a longer tenure in Rock N' Roll, and that says something.
    Last edited by 8bit Fighter; 07-27-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket View Post
    That's great for the cancer fund, but as far as tribute shows and tribute bands, enough already. There's an old saying in Italian, "Tre giorni" (three days), "Tre giorni" and we dance. RJD was honored with a great funeral, a tribute concert, it's now time to move on.
    Completely agree Wicked. It's probably not a popular view point, but I have no interest in watching Tony, Geezer and Vinnie become Steel Dragon (Judas Priest? Life imitating art imitating life?). I loved Dio's music, and I'm glad I got back into him in time to see his second to last show, but an album with, say, Don Dokken performing "I?" No thanks. My family's been touched by cancer, as I suspect many people's has, so I'm all for donating to any charity fighting it though.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules Mob View Post
    Completely agree Wicked. It's probably not a popular view point, but I have no interest in watching Tony, Geezer and Vinnie become Steel Dragon (Judas Priest? Life imitating art imitating life?). I loved Dio's music, and I'm glad I got back into him in time to see his second to last show, but an album with, say, Don Dokken performing "I?" No thanks. My family's been touched by cancer, as I suspect many people's has, so I'm all for donating to any charity fighting it though.
    Tony and Geezer won't become Steel Dragon, these guys wrote the rules.
    They're two of the most seasoned musicians in the world.

I'd like to see them write some new music, tour and play all the Sabbath music they created together and Heaven and Hell music. The music they made with Dio was great because of
    their contributions as well and it deserves to be heard.
    The time it is coming when all life will end,
    With doomsday approaching to hell we'll descend.
    Religion won't save me, the damage is done.
    The future has ended before it's begun.

Banned

This is great news indeed! Ronnie deserves this and so much more...His contribution to the metal/hard rock world has been so huge over the years...

I can't wait to learn more about this...especially about the memorial concert...

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit Fighter View Post
    if Michael Jackson had a year long stand after his death in remembrance, I don't see why Ronnie shouldn't have the same treatment.
    It's precisely because Ronnie is not Michael Jackson that he shouldn'T have the same treatment.

I think there's a difference between mourning and celebrating the dead and then turning things into freak shows and mercantile opportunities.

Dio deserves better. Increasingly, I have the impression some people are using his death for ulterior motives and that rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Awaits View Post
    Tony and Geezer won't become Steel Dragon, these guys wrote the rules.
    They're two of the most seasoned musicians in the world.

I'd like to see them write some new music, tour and play all the Sabbath music they created together and Heaven and Hell music. The music they made with Dio was great because of
    their contributions as well and it deserves to be heard.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. If Tony, Geezer and Vinnie decide to get someone who sounds like Ronnie and try to continue the Dio era Sabbath they'd be making a mistake. When Ozzy left they went out and got someone who was different, and they continued to make great, but unique, music. It's a mistake to try and get someone to "be" Ronnie. I'm all for them working together, because they have great chemistry, but let the Dio era rest with Ronnie. I agree the music deserves to be heard. That's what CDs are for.
    "But I don't want to go among mad people."
    "Oh, you can't help that, we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
    "How do you know I'm mad?"
    "You must be or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules Mob View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. If Tony, Geezer and Vinnie decide to get someone who sounds like Ronnie and try to continue the Dio era Sabbath they'd be making a mistake. When Ozzy left they went out and got someone who was different, and they continued to make great, but unique, music. It's a mistake to try and get someone to "be" Ronnie. I'm all for them working together, because they have great chemistry, but let the Dio era rest with Ronnie. I agree the music deserves to be heard. That's what CDs are for.

I never said they should get a Dio clone, I just think they(Iommi/Butler) should continue to make new music together, tour and play all the music they made together with Ozzy, Dio, Gillan, and Martin.

I never said they should get a Dio clone, I just think they(Iommi/Butler) should continue to make new music together, tour and play all the music they made together with Ozzy, Dio, Gillan, and Martin.
    Forget about it.

Iommi and Butler are never, ever going to play Martin/Gillan era songs. These albums do not have a decent enough following to be worth revisiting and even the guys themselves (Iommi, Butler) do not seem to care about this material in the least.

And this doesn't come from a complete hater. I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.

But yeah, gotta be realistic. I've got more chance of banging Megan Fox on top of Mount Everest than of attending a concert where Iommi and Butler burn through Zero the Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffs View Post
    Forget about it.

Iommi and Butler are never, ever going to play Martin/Gillan era songs. These albums do not have a decent enough following to be worth revisiting and even the guys themselves (Iommi, Butler) do not seem to care about this material in the least.

And this doesn't come from a complete hater. I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.

But yeah, gotta be realistic. I've got more chance of banging Megan Fox on top of Mount Everest than of attending a concert where Iommi and Butler burn through Zero the Hero.
    You and I have had this arguement before dude. Just because you don't care for these eras doesn't mean that they aren't worth any one's time. You are parading your opinion as a fact. You don't know the future, and you don't know what these guys will do, or how they feel about certain eras.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cwilder86 View Post
    Just because you don't care for these eras doesn't mean that they aren't worth any one's time.
    I consider Born Again one of the most underrated heavy metal album in history. It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs.
    Sure is lack of reading comprehension in here guise

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
    Sure is lack of reading comprehension in here guise
    What do you mean?
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

Forget about it.

I read an article with Iommi shortly after Fused came out and he was discussing touring
    on that album with Glenn and covering all eras of Sabbath including Born Again. This was right before the Heaven and Hell thing got going.
    Last edited by Hell_Awaits; 07-28-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilder86 View Post
    What do you mean?
    He means that contrary to your assertion, I very much care about the Born Again era.

Doesn't mean Tony Iommi is going to tour playing this stuff for me and the few people who have enjoyed this era.

We're talking about legends who have a whole catalog of songs to choose from. They have, what? 15 songs or so they can play each concerts.

You really need to give your head a shake if you think they're gonna drop War Pigs or Heaven and Hell to play It Feels Good to Me.

I'm sorry if reality pisses you off.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

I read an article with Iommi shortly after Fused came out and he was discussing touring
    on that album with Glenn and covering all eras of Sabbath including Born Again. This was right before the Heaven and Hell thing got going.
    I've learned a long time ago that you need to take anything artists say with a grain of salt. Twice as much if it comes from Ozzy or Tony.

Friendly advice: so should you.

Forget it, it's not happening. There will be no Martin/Gillan songs played on tour, ever again by these guys. It just wouldn't make any sense.

But yeah, gotta be realistic. I've got more chance of banging Megan Fox on top of Mount Everest.
    Been there, done that.

But then I woke up.

Well, back to the topic then. I think that a memorial concert with some legendary artists is a good idea, but I'm not too sure of another tribute album. Oh, unless every artist does a different type of version of the RJD classics (such as an acoustic) or a completely new track like Jorn, but that wouldn't really make sense I guess.
    Last edited by -E5150 StarWanderer-; 07-28-2010 at 05:28 PM.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

I think this is very cool the tribute concert & CD to benefit the cancer fund & I hope like was originally announced that the concert becomes an annual event. Can't wait for the details to be released & I am hoping to be able to go to LA for this in March.
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

If another tribute concert goes down in LA I'll be there. Couldn't make London and the vast majority of Dio's fans reside in the US so an LA gig would be more fitting. However instead of just Sabbath it should include guys from Dio the band as well as maybe a song by his cousins band The Rods as well, Metal Will Never Die, anyone?

Guys like Craig Goldy and Jimmy Bain and Simon Wright have just as much right to be there as Iommi and gang afterall. I'm not such a big fan of guys who really had nothing to do with Dio personally performing just cause they looked up to however. I don't want to see James Hetfield butcher Heaven and Hell for instance just because he's a big name who respected Dio.

Do the gig, record a live album/DVD with everything included from it and let it be after that. I think that would be the best Dio tribute for his fans. Make all the proceeds go towards the stand up and shout cancer fund from here till forever and you'll have done a fitting tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by MH1986 View Post
    vast majority of Dio's fans reside in the US so an LA gig would be more fitting.
    Not sure that Dio would agree with this statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3LA...eature=related

Forget about it.

Now that's not entirely true. Geezer may not care, but in the band interview on the Last Supper DVD, Iommi does say that there are albums from those years he thinks deserve more attention, and he even mentions Headless Cross as an example. The fact that Iommi owns the rights to the IRS catalogue and is lining them up for a Rerelease, indicates that he cares at least a little bit

Anyway I don't see what anyone has against this tribute concert. It's all in celebration of Dio and it's all for a very good cause. It's not like they are lining their own coffers here.
    Last edited by Sir Kenneth; 08-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.

...and the vast majority of Dio's fans reside in the US
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

the vast majority of Dio's fans reside in the US
    I guess that's why the band Dio toured sooooo extensively in the US in the last years, and almost never set foot in Europe. Hmm.

Not sure that Dio would agree with this statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3LA...eature=related

Try this link. Not sure what happened to the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSBWFZMyS4&NR=1

So is this L.A. Tribute Concert ever gonna happen?
    The best blueberry muffins I ever had landed 6 people in prison, three for life.

Quote Originally Posted by devstorm View Post
    So is this L.A. Tribute Concert ever gonna happen?
    After a year and no further talk about it I'd say probably not, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyuPTee View Post
    Apple Film Trailer Red 2, http://forum.sweepstakestoday.com/ya...Downloads.aspx, Hi-def Red 2 Movie, <a href="http://forum.sweepstakestoday.com/yaf_postsm168965_-trailer--Download-Red-2-movie-full-mp4-dvd-avi-ipod-pda-free-fast--Red-2-Movie-Downloads.aspx">download ipod Red 2 tide</a>, Dvd Red 2 download, download Red 2 movie in divx formats, the full film of Red 2.
    Closed Circuit Movie Full Movie, http://forum.sweepstakestoday.com/ya...rcuit-Mov.aspx, Buy Closed Circuit The Film, <a href="http://forum.sweepstakestoday.com/yaf_postsm168926_--Premiere---Download-Closed-Circuit-movie-full-mp4-dvd-avi-ipod-pda-free-fast--Closed-Circuit-Mov.aspx">Closed Circuit Film Now</a>, Closed Circuit tide video download, Closed Circuit film premiere, Closed Circuit Download Ipod.
    Getaway Film Part, http://forum.sweepstakestoday.com/ya...taway-The.aspx, download Getaway full-lenght, <a href="http://forum.sweepstakestoday.com/yaf_postsm168927_legal---Download-Getaway-movie-full-mp4-dvd-avi-ipod-pda-free-fast--How-To-Download-Getaway-The.aspx">buy Getaway the film</a>, Downloadable Getaway Film, length of Getaway film, Getaway Film Picture.
    Scumbag!!!!!!!!!
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

Finally saw some news on the Dio tribute LP - it's coming out on 4/1 & looks like they got an awesome lineup of musicians for this tribute CD - Can't wait to see what Metallica does with the Rainbow Medley - here's the story on Blabbermouth - http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/met...tribute-album/
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

Im mostly looking forward to this.. particularly Glenn singing Catch the Rainbow that should be about the coolest thing on this release.. Its debatable how cool the Metallica cover will be depending on the number of Yeah's that are heard within the 9 minute epic. Jaymz is guilty of ridiculousing every song lately with too many yeah's.. But they do know how to weave a decent tribute medley (eg: Mercyful Fate). I already know the Adrenaline Mob version of M.R. lags (I really dont like them), and Im conflicted over Scorps... great song.. hope they treat it well & don't lame it up...
    Last edited by devstorm; 02-07-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Banned

What happened to Dave Grohl and Alice Cooper's contribution?

Quote Originally Posted by Foul Stench View Post

And whoa, what a cover! That says a lot. Ronnie is not among my top vocalists even, but it's amazing how highly regarded he is, I doubt any other singer or musician in metal will recieve this kind of adoration when they pass on.

07. "Temple Of The King" - SCORPIONS * Perfect choice! Unless Meine miraculously fucks it up, it can only be incredible, so fingers crossed. Pity Maiden isn't contributing.
    In case anyone hasn't seen that cover yet, Blabbermouth doesn't seem to allow hotlinking.

Banned

Awesome cover
    If I' m not wrong , from L to R :
    S.Warren/D.Aldrich/ G. Hughes/H. Jones/S. Drover/P. Campbell/M. Dee/V. Appice/ M. Jabs/B.Byford/R. Schenker/Doro/L. Ulrich/C. Taylor/R. Trujillo/Lemmy/C. Goldy/S. Ian/J. Hetfield/J. Bain/L. Hale/S. Wright/R. Halford... and some others ( B.Tichy /R. Sarzo/J. Pilson/R. Robertson etc)

too bad , no T.Iommi , G.Butler , G.Nicholls , D.Airey ,T.Carey ....and R. Blackmore
    Last edited by TYR66; 02-08-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Banned

You've nailed most of them. Is that Joey Belladonna standing behind Halford? or is he over Hetfields shoulder? Can't spot Jack Black, Frank Bello, and Charlie Benante. Also who's standing between Lars and Schenker holding the mace?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    You've nailed most of them. Is that Joey Belladonna standing behind Halford? or is he over Hetfields shoulder? Can't spot Jack Black, Frank Bello, and Charlie Benante. Also who's standing between Lars and Schenker holding the mace?
    Yes ,you 're right about Belladonna behind Halford and F. Bello seems to be just above Ulrich/Trujillo ?

and who's this golden face between Trujillo and Lemmy ?
    Last edited by TYR66; 02-08-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TYR66 View Post
    Yes ,you 're right about Belladonna behind Halford and F. Bello seems to be just above Ulrich/Trujillo ?

and who's this golden face between Trujillo and Lemmy ?
    Can't make him out properly, might be someone from Halestorm or something, also Shawn Drover's not on the album so that cant be him even though it does kind of look like him.
    Last edited by Jack the Stripper; 02-08-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Stripper View Post
    Can't make him out properly, might be someone from Halestorm or something, also Shawn Drover's not on the album so that cant be him even though it does kind of look like him.
    Shawn Drover ? funny , no Megadeth members, indeed . may be Russel Allen ?

Banned

I think this might be very interesting...Sadly there are so many songs that have already been released...I would have liked all unreleased songs.

But Anthrax's Neon Knights will most likely destroy all others since it's damn awesome. Joey rocks on it!

What's it with Metallica doing these stupid medleys...they did the same thing with Sabbath on Garage inc. It's stupid...just pick a song and do it damn it!

Banned

The bird in the denim shorts is Lizzy Hale from Halestorm

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    I think this might be very interesting...Sadly there are so many songs that have already been released...I would have liked all unreleased songs.
    10 unreleased out of 14 is a good deal. Of course I won't buy it either way because to hear anyone else singing Dio songs strikes me as ludicrous