Default Is Megalomania The Best Ozzy Era Song?

I was listening to this today.. and I'm starting to think so. It's just so epic and powerful and it encompasses everything that a perfect Sabbath song should be, IMO.

yeah it's a classic to me too,i like that deep voice during "feel it slipping away" part !

Thumbsup

Yeah it's my favourite, along with Junior's Eyes, You Won't Change Me and more, but there all favourites.

Its my fav too. Brilliant song from one of my all time greatest album Sabotage.

Sweet Leaf sentiment aside, it's probably th best song.
    you introduced me to my mind...

Maybe not my top but it is top 10 for sure and damn close. It does have everything a Sabbath song should have and man Ozzy does sound amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalArchitect View Post
    Short answer: Yes.
    Even shorter answer ... No.

I do like the song a lot, but it's not the best. Top 5 no. Top 10 certainly.

Possibly. I really like Symptom Of The Universe from that album too.
    I make the devil laugh and angels wail. Forever I will reside beyond the pale.

It's close, I like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the best though.
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

I do like the song a lot, but I think the best is War Pigs, regardless of it being played to death.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

This song, along with The Writ, is Ozzy's vocal peek. He never sounded the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Malchik View Post
    This song, along with The Writ, is Ozzy's vocal peek. He never sounded the same.
    I actually think his vocal peak is The Thrill Of It All, which of course is off of Sabotage as well. That whole record is an amazing vocal performance.

Top 5! At one stage it was my favourite, I love the tempo change half way through! And I love the lead brake in the middle and the repeat that is put on the voice leading into the first two verses.. And the doubled vioce in the seconbd half of the song during the chorus.. All in all it is a VERY epic song!!!
    Won't you help me Mr. Jesus?

Definitely one of their best. Although there are many Sabbath songs for me that get that title.

To name any one song in the deep catalog of BS history is impossible. No one song is the best, if it were, we'd have a one hit wonder band. BS has way too many great songs, which is why they are so highly regarded. Megalo is just one of dozens...

Quote Originally Posted by Icy Sun View Post
    I do like the song a lot, but I think the best is War Pigs, regardless of it being played to death.
    I agree. But I would place Megalomania in my personal top 10 best Ozzy-Sabbath (if not any era Sabbath) songs, if not my top 5.

Ted

My favourite song of all ozzy era!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kgb View Post
    Its my fav too. Brilliant song from one of my all time greatest album Sabotage.
    My sentiments exactly - except Sabotage is my all time greatest album

Banned

Megalomania, then War Pigs.

Wozzy

Smile

Hello everyone, I'm new and this is my first post

I agree that Megalomania is definitely my favourite Ozzy Sabbath song. I particularly like the Asbury Park live version. Ozzy sings it so brilliantly here - and I love how he drops an octave to sing part of it. It just adds to the spooky nature of his singing. Check it out if you've not heard it.

A National Acrobat is a close second, then Snowblind.

See Megalomania - Asbury Park on You Tube. I'd put a link up if I could, but there doesn't seem to be a facility for doing this.

I'd say Megalomania is third to Symptom of the Universe (Including Don't Start intro), because I just fucking love that song lately.

Symptom is second to Blow on a Jug, of course.

Top 5 of the Ozzy Era for sure, top 10-15 all time. I've always been more of a Dio fan so there will be some of his songs that bump it down a bit.

I'd be hard pressed to say it is the best Ozzy era song, but it is probably the most overlooked. I was astounded when I picked up Sabotage and heard this song. I was sort of a casual fan until picking up Sabotage and getting blown away by Side one. (Side one LOL, showing my age there!)

Along with maybe Wheels of Confusion this is probably the best Sabbath song that will likely never appear on any one or two disc compilation, although it is far better than a lot of tracks that are routinely included.

I think the Dio era classic "Falling Off the Edge of the World" was a similarly overlooked gem until its inclusion on The Dio Years and the H&H setlist.
    Last edited by TheMobRules; 08-09-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozzy View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new and this is my first post

I agree that Megalomania is definitely my favourite Ozzy Sabbath song. I particularly like the Asbury Park live version. Ozzy sings it so brilliantly here - and I love how he drops an octave to sing part of it. It just adds to the spooky nature of his singing. Check it out if you've not heard it.
    You and me both. I LOVE the Ashbury Park, NJ 1975 version of it. I really liked hearing the very early versions of it. I heard a version, I might still have it somewhere, and they played it in Sydney. It didnt have good vocal/lyrics goin on, but it was the song.

As good as it is, that title would go to Hand Of Doom and Spiral Architect, just my opinion.
    "Without Black Sabbath there never would have been an Ozzy, and without Ozzy there never would have been a Black Sabbath"
    "If there ever was a band whose voice is so significant and distinct, that band is Black Sabbath and the voice is Ozzy Osbourne"
    ________________________________________OzzyIsDio_ (YoY)

I agree. The best.

Not the best, but in top 10.

For a long time, I thought "The Writ" was better, but the good folks here showed me the error of my ways. "Megalomania" is, in fact, the ultimate Black Sabbath song. It is, in fact, just maybe, the ultimate Song period.

But G-D..."Sabotage" is such an amazing musical accomplishment from start to finish and every moment in between, it's almost hard to separate "Megalomania" from the entire collection.

The silence between tracks on Sabotage is better than a lot of what gets called metal these days.

The Writ, War Pigs, Under the Sun, Killing Yourself to Live, God Is Dead? trail behind closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Insanity View Post
    I was listening to this today.. and I'm starting to think so. It's just so epic and powerful and it encompasses everything that a perfect Sabbath song should be, IMO.
    I agree. It's certainly one of their best, if not THE best from them imo. It's in my top 3 Sabbath songs as of now.
    ♫Forget all your sorrow, don't live in the past,
    and look to the future, 'cause life goes too fast, you know♫

It's a great song... but really it doesn't even crack my top 10 Sabbath songs, but that probably just shows how great their other songs are!
    My name is Lucifer please take my hand.

You can easily have a top 25 list for Black Sabbath songs and make a solid case for one song being the best. Megalomania does not make my upper tier, but it certainly is exceptional.