Post Did Ritchie Blackmore do any tributes to Dio?

Did he???

I hadn't heard of any...

Ritchie's not one to do tributes, really.

But he did something better; he introduced him to the world stage by first having Elf open for Deep Purple on tour, and later hiring him in Rainbow. If these things had not happened, maybe only people in Courtland, NY would know who Dio was.

I remember him saying some words after Ronnie passed but other than that there was nothing I know of. I know he performed a few old Dio era Rainbow tunes with Blackmore's Night before. I'm guessing he might do that again as a tribute to him which i'm fine with.
    Nobody will ever let you know
    When you ask the reason why
    They just tell you that you're on your own
    Fill your head all full of lies

I think the only tribute that Blackers will pay is the gracious words he offered upon Dio's death. I'd love to see Ritchie adapt another RJD-era classic; the BN covers have been interesting, if not always entirely successful.

Banned

I'm pretty sure they will do something for the upcoming BN tour...I too have enjoyed the BN versions of some of the classics...granted they haven't all worked but some have worked pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryHeart View Post
    Ritchie's not one to do tributes, really.

But he did something better; he introduced him to the world stage by first having Elf open for Deep Purple on tour, and later hiring him in Rainbow. If these things had not happened, maybe only people in Courtland, NY would know who Dio was.
    Good point, although truth be told, Roger Glover got that ball rolling first. Then Ritchie took him to the next level.
    Damian
    Super Moderator
    Black-Sabbath.com

Maybe we'll see him at the tribute show in LA next year? I'm not holding my breath on that one, but it would be a nice gesture.

God how I wish Ritchie Blackmore would man up and return to rock with a set of his Purple and Rainbow favourites, especially few Dio-era Rainbow classics in Dio's honour & memory. Get Doogie White to sing, call Bob Daisley as well. The drummer could be either Bobby Rondinelli or maybe Tommy Aldridge if available. Keyboards & organ...maybe David Rosenthal. Just a small scale tour, just the important capital cities in his career. And call it plain & simply RITCHIE BLACKMORE, no Purple & Rainbow affiliations in the moniker, just a solo project for the one last run of classic rock that we all love.

This project would surely get me going, ferociously.
    "He is the King of all kings, the keeper of light...He holds eternity's wings"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbathman View Post
    God how I wish Ritchie Blackmore would man up and return to rock with a set of his Purple and Rainbow favourites, especially few Dio-era Rainbow classics in Dio's honour & memory. Get Doogie White to sing, call Bob Daisley as well. The drummer could be either Bobby Rondinelli or maybe Tommy Aldridge if available. Keyboards & organ...maybe David Rosenthal. Just a small scale tour, just the important capital cities in his career. And call it plain & simply RITCHIE BLACKMORE, no Purple & Rainbow affiliations in the moniker, just a solo project for the one last run of classic rock that we all love.

This project would surely get me going, ferociously.
    I'd love to see it Sabbathman... But "man up"? Surely what he's doing right now takes more balls than wheeling "Smoke On The Water" & "Long Live Rock'n'Roll" around the world all over again?

Quote Originally Posted by J Hillenburg View Post
    I think the only tribute that Blackers will pay is the gracious words he offered upon Dio's death. I'd love to see Ritchie adapt another RJD-era classic; the BN covers have been interesting, if not always entirely successful.
    I would have liked to have heard Ronnie team up with BN and re-do "The Temple Of The King."

But it's true, that we owe a heavy debt to Ritchie Blackmore for bringing Dio to so many people's notice.

Otherwise he might have still been Ron Padavona, working a day job in upstate NY and gigging with Elf in bars when they could get gigs, and putting out albums when they could get studio time.
    He is not here. He has risen!

Thumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by DiosSword View Post
    I would have liked to have heard Ronnie team up with BN and re-do "The Temple Of The King."

But it's true, that we owe a heavy debt to Ritchie Blackmore for bringing Dio to so many people's notice.
    I personally owe a debt to Blackmore for the solo in Stargazer. Wow....just....Wow......

Has Ritchie Blackmore done anything in the last 27 years worthy of my notice? Just curious.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Has Ritchie Blackmore done anything in the last 27 years worthy of my notice? Just curious.
    I understand its rhetorical, but why would you be asking us if someone has done something worth your notice? I would think your question answers itself in much fewer words than you produced attempting to be dismissive and clever.

For the record, Perfect Strangers was released 26 years ago and that, at the very least, should be worthy. But there's a lot more worthy, much more, if someone will listen with an open mind and has a willingness to search.
    Last edited by J Hillenburg; 09-30-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Mad

Give him a break, he's had Minstrel Cramps......

Aside from banging this woman?

Not much.

Last edited by Chris B; 09-30-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    May 16, 2010. RIP, RJD.

He's certainly demonstrated more artistic courage by forging off into a new genre than a bevy of our heroes rolled together in one. And, like it or not, it makes money. Additionally, he puts out a hell of a lot more new material than most of his peers who are content to tour oldies sets.

Inferior to his earlier work or not, he has bravery that too many 60-somethings banging out virtually nothing but tunes they wrote 40 or more years ago lack in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Aside from banging this woman?

Not much.

I was going to reply,"lucky bastard", till I noticed that she`d ripped his dick off. "AAARRGGH"!

Well the link in the first post is blocked because of copyright laws. But I have seen a few you tube videos that he did say nice thing about Ronnie. Now as to rip his dick off he has a new daughter with that woman who is now Mrs. Blackmore. They have a new cd out in October with a tour. So yes I do have several of the Blackmore's Night cd and many of the songs are pretty good and some great. No it isnt the purple or rainbow stuff but as posted beforew he is making new music and in Europe he is a top touring act, so if this isnt your cup of tea I say ok that is fine but at least he is doing stuff after 60.

I didn't know The Blackmore's had a child, just googled some pics lovely, good for them, now if some of the distastful adolesent comments cease, more the better.

Yeah Ritchie posted a brief R.I.P. message about RJD on his website, but other than that I haven't heard much from him about Ronnie. I don't think they stayed in touch after Rainbow (ever see the RJD tour bus video? He didn't have very nice things to say about Ritchie.) Blackers is notoriously difficult to work with and quite aloof in his personal life. I read an interview with him once where the reporter actually asked why he went through so many different band mates and squabbled with many of them? Ritchie basically replied that he gets sick of the same people usally after 6 months or so of knowing them and moves on to the next whim/project..

I remember reading an interview with Dio ages ago - probably in the early 2000's - when he said (and I'm only paraphrasing from a vague memory) that Blackmore was the best guitarist he'd ever worked with but he enjoyed being in Black Sabbath more. ^^ Cyberbeast, is that the interview where Ronnie goes through the Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio discogs one record at a time, and recounts his memories and opinion of each album?

Quote Originally Posted by RobotOfDecay View Post
    I remember reading an interview with Dio ages ago - probably in the early 2000's - when he said (and I'm only paraphrasing from a vague memory) that Blackmore was the best guitarist he'd ever worked with but he enjoyed being in Black Sabbath more. ^^ Cyberbeast, is that the interview where Ronnie goes through the Rainbow/Sabbath/Dio discogs one record at a time, and recounts his memories and opinion of each album?
    Yes, I think it was called the "Brutally Honest" tour bus video. Here is a link to part 1. Very candid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5wsTzQXzM

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbeast View Post
    Yes, I think it was called the "Brutally Honest" tour bus video. Here is a link to part 1. Very candid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5wsTzQXzM
    We have to remember that Ronnie was in his period of "music should be raw and heavy" when this interview was made. Therefore he speaks ill of the incredible instrumental work on Rainbow Rising. Actually that is the only thing I can find slightly irritating about Ronnie. As a singer it seemed like he forgot about how important the instrumental parts (not only the solos, but intro's, bridges, intermissions, outros etc) are to a song. Mainly during and after Dehumanizer he seemed to want a more direct approach to his music, that can also be seen in the lyrics. If you ask me this was the work of critics as well as the influence of one Mr. Geezer Butler...

Anyway, I do enjoy some of Blackmore's Nights covers of old RJD Rainbow stuff, apart from "Rainbow Eyes" which they in my opinion completely ruined. None of them were done as a tribute though, maybe it is due on the next album? I hope they will come to Stockholm someday, I really want to see Ritchie live (or should I say hear Ritchie and see Candice? )
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

First off, I am a great fan of Blackmore's Night. I listened to Under A Violet Moon yesterday. Ritchie's playing is as good as it ever was, just different, and Candice is a fine singer, as well as being quite a looker.

I don't think Blackmore and RJD had much of a relationship in the years preceding Dio's death, though until Cozy Powell died I'd heard rumours that the "Long Live Rock 'N Roll" lineup (Dio/Blackmore/Powell/Daisley/Stone) was considering some sort of project (if they could find David Stone, he seems to have fallen off the edge of the world). I rarely read any interviews with Blackmore even mentioning Dio, or Graham Bonnet, David Coverdale, Ian Gillan or Glenn Hughes for that matter. His "go-to guy" has seemed to be Joe Lynn Turner.

All I ever heard from RJD was a statement in around '84 that stated he and Blackmore "parted as friends and still are"...but the same interview also said RJD "would never again be a friend to Tony Iommi or Terry Butler." When he did the Hear 'n Aid project apparently he asked both Blackmore and Iommi to add guitar work but both refused, which angered Dio no end. He said "at least Tony did Live Aid," but he was quite venomous toward Blackmore, or Purple actually, saying it was "the Deep Purple money machine in action."

I don't know if they ever got past that.

I revere Blackmore as a guitarist almost as much as I do Iommi, but I understand that a lot of people don't like him. I went to college with a guy who worked at Tower Records in L.A. in the '70s. He said Blackmore would very occasionally come in but that "the guy was an asshole."
    He is not here. He has risen!

AngryHeart i agreed with you The answer about the topic is very much interesting and really i was searching for it thanks alot for this post.
    ------------------
    Sall Yerma [Newton]
    Excellent web Solutions
    I.T Director & Developer