Banned

Default The hassles of small-time music production...

I really hate (no, I mean abhor) the process of having to download large programs.

I'm currently working on a full-length black metal album. Have the songs written and everything, just trying to get everything in order to record. Well I finally decided to download the drum software, to render the drums from MIDI. 700+ MB for both programs! Christ...

Fun fact: I prefer drum machines to real drummers, when it comes to producing music of my own. I want to keep the least amount of band members possible for this project, and this may be controversial here, but I have no intention to hire a drummer; right now it's just me and my guitar player, and I'm fine with that. The drums (and bass, if the guitar player won't do it) on this album, will be programmed.

Reason why? This album, this band is MY baby. And for this project anyways, I don't want a full band giving their input on something I feel is already perfect as it is. It may sound egotistical, but as an artist, I don't intend to produce music for anybody other than myself. If "fans" (put in quotes because as I don't have a project that's taken off yet) like it, then great, but I don't intend to produce music for anybody
    Last edited by The Butt; 09-03-2010 at 03:00 PM.

My band is recording our debut using a similar approach. Due to finances, a really good drum machine and Garage band has to do, but honestly since its so well mixed at this point a listener wouldn't even know the difference.

Banned

Tbh it's not really an issue of money (well sorta, I wouldn't enjoy having to split sales with yet another band member... but it's not the biggest reason), so much as me not wanting another band member in the mix, only to give criticisms and changes and everything. As I said, this whole project's my baby.

I'm perfectly fine with working as a band/accepting criticisms/etc, just not with this band, lmao.

That's why I'm using a drum machine tbh. Pisses me off when the software's MASSIVE though.

What drum software are you using if you don't mind me asking? I've been using Steven Slate Drums through Kontakt 3 via MIDI, and I must say, I'll never use a drummer again if I can help it! When I downloaded "Abby Road 70's Drums", the download was stupid large, In fact it's too large for my computer to load it onto Kontakt (15 minutes if it doesn't crash), so I'm sticking with SSD. I agree with you on the "Doing it myself without the band" idea. Right now I'm re recording an album my old band never finished and it's turning out pretty good so far. Anyway, cheers!!
    We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Banned

I got Sony Acid Pro 7 with EZdrummer loaded into it.

Trying to search for Drumkit From Hell expansion for EZdrummer right now. Used Drumkit From Hell on the last finished track I posted here (I posted a youtube link here).

Didn't sound the greatest because I mixed it poorly, but this time around I know enough to give the drums some bass.
    Last edited by The Butt; 09-03-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Cool, I'm using Acid Pro 7 too.
    We donít see things as they are; we see them as we are.

Banned

Drums for my album are fully recorded, as well as three covers too! Mixed really well too! Bassy enough, decent amount of reverb (but not too much, I don't want this to sound 80s).

I'm happy.

700+ meg? Pfft. My copy of Logic took forty gigs.

Banned

That was just download size.

Best of luck with the album. I understand where you're coming from about making music for yourself rather than for others. I've had ideas in my head for years now but I'm competent enough to write/record music. If I was to work with others I'd have to find people who share the same vision.

It'll happen someday.

I'll be interested to hear yours when it's done.

Banned

Thank you, very much!

Yeah, the album's fully written, have the drum tracks for it, I just gotta get my guitarist/also bassist to rehearse the stuff for recording. If not I might end up finding someone else, I'm not competent enough with guitar to do it myself (wrote the songs on keyboard and in GP5).

It's making me anxious cause I mainly just want to have the full album for myself, I know it sounds egotistical but I'd love being able to listen to a completed work of my own. Putting copies out is gonna be a bonus for me.

I know what you mean. I'm nowhere near a good enough guitarist to even try writing with one.

I can appreciate the fact that you want to listen to something you've written, recorded and completed. After all, musicians should write first for themselves, and then for an audience. I think if at some point, you can no longer enjoy or even stand to listen to something you've recorded because you've tailored it for a specific audience something is lost.

Of course, that's all my opinion.

I may be making a big mistake, but I record all my stuff on a Fostex 16-track digital recorder. I don't do any mixing on a computer (at least I haven't yet on 17 CDs worth of material). I may in the future if I get back into it, but the Fostex unit worked fine for me. Bass went directly in, guitars went through pedals and directly in. Reverb, etc., all added on the Fostex.

Banned

I prefer adding reverb, effects, etc, with the computer. That way if I'm not happy with the end result (like with my vocals, or my guitarist's guitar track), I don't have to re-sing it, or get my guitar player to do another take. I just strip off the effects, and tinker with it to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt View Post
    I prefer adding reverb, effects, etc, with the computer. That way if I'm not happy with the end result (like with my vocals, or my guitarist's guitar track), I don't have to re-sing it, or get my guitar player to do another take. I just strip off the effects, and tinker with it to my liking.
    I add effects when mixing ... the raw tracks are preserved.

Betamonkey double bass mania 1,2 and 4

Sony Metal The Ultimate Construction Kit
    Sony Latin Loops
    Sony Black Paint
    Sony Metarock
    Sony Acid Rock
    Sony Tony Brock complete rock drummer
    Sony Mick Fleetwood
    Beta monkey rock drums 100 bmps and higher and 90 bpms and below
    Platnium Loops Ultra Metal Loops

and I have several others