Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Your top 5 vocalist choices for a possible NEW Iommi & Geezer project.

Alright, thought this might be fun to see everyones *top 5* choices for singers for an ever possible new Iommi & Geezer project. Let's keep it to vocalists that are alive, and able to perform. The sky's the limit other then that, and keeping it to 5 choices. (At least try to keep it at 5 or so)

Here's mine in no particular order.
    1- Tony Martin
    2- Robert Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus/Candlemass)
    3- Ian Astbury (The Cult)
    4- Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth (OverKill)
    5- Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
    Words laced with blasphemy, drip with sincerity. Falling into the plan, like sacrificial lambs. Hearing the words, and said rings like nail to the head. Now I can see the stars, I know we have gone too far.
    - OverKill, "Horrorscope"

Scott Weinrich would be cool, but I really don't see that as ever being realistic....

Back to earth here, probably Hughes

1. Tony Martin
    2. Ian Gillan
    3. Ozzy
    4. Glenn Hughes
    5. Jorn Lande

Tony iommi!

Going off his Solo album for singers

#1) Skin- she has been my number one choice to work with Tony ever since I heard "Meat".
    #2) Serj Tankian- loved "Patterns", an album filled with this could be incredible.
    #3) Billy Corgan- voices tell me strike the match and burn it all to hell, voices tell me I could watch if I promise not to tell. (Dark, Heavy, Disturbing)
    #4) Phil Anselmo- not my favorite vocalist- probably not in my top 50, but his 2 songs with Tony work for me. His voice has the right sound for Iommi/Butler.
    #5) Dave Grohl- Maybe Tony and Geezer experience a bit of commercial success.
    #5A) Chris Cornell- Maybe 2 bits of commercial success while re-igniting Doom Metal for the masses. Cornell's voice could make this happen. His voice alone, is another instrument in a band.

I would love to see Glenn Hughes, but his "Funky" approach and Geezer's "Thunder" approach may not be able to find a way to mesh, let alone mesh with Tony. If it works, then Glenn would be right there for #1 with Skin.
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

1. Ozzy
    2. Ozzy
    3. Ozzy
    4. Ozzy
    5. Ozzy

Sorry, I really want one more Sabbath record with the original lineup. I will support all lineups of course but that is what I am really hoping for.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    1. Ozzy
    2. Ozzy
    3. Ozzy
    4. Ozzy
    5. Ozzy

Sorry, I really want one more Sabbath record with the original lineup. I will support all lineups of course but that is what I am really hoping for.
    THIS.

MAYBE Phil Anselmo, but definitely NOT as a Black Sabbath album. Ozzy or fucking bust, on that front.

1. Tony Martin my second choice for all time favourite vocalist after Dio /R i P/

2. Andy Engberg /Section A, Lions Share/ - similar vocal range to Tony Martin. Very powerfull and emotional. If you've listened debut Lion's Share album you know what i mean.

3. Mats Leven /Krux/ - a man born for making DOOM metal!
    Last edited by dioivanov; 10-15-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dioivanov View Post

3. Mats Leven /Krux/
    I like that! I really like that a lot actually. He's got a fairly distinctive voice with a good range and enough gravel to please those who doesn't want another "power metal" singer or a Hughes/Rodgers type of singer.

Anyway here's what I'd like:

1. Paul Rodgers.

Still my main pick! Out of all the rock singers from the 70's, I think his voice has held up the best. He has a great bluesy voice and I think him and Iommi and Butler could create something special if they got back together.

2. Bernie Shaw

Another great singer who's close to Butler and Iommi in age and still has a very impressive voice. He's probably too busy with Uriah Heep though.

3. Mats Leven

Because it's a fantastic suggestion! Hell I think I'll go put on some Krux right now

4. Glenn Hughes

I'd probably rank him higher if it wasn't for Geezer Butler. Hughes does prefer to play bass himself (even though he's a cracking front man when he doesn't) and I'd prefer Iommi and Butler to stay together.

5. Robert Halford

Because him and Butler and Iommi really should do something together at some point

Banned

This is to keep in mind that this will not be a Black Sabbath album.

1. Tim "Ripper" Owens (without a doubt the best metal singer out there right now, his versatility would make him an awesome fit with this. He can scream he can growl, and anything in between.
    2. Tony Martin (This would be great, but this would never ever never happen)
    3. Rob Lowe (he would be great, his voice has a lot of depth, he also brought Candlemass to a whole new level with his singing talent)
    4. Phil Anselmo (He has improved as a singer a whole lot since the Pantera days...his singing with Down has been great at times and I know he could deliver)
    5. Several different vocalists (Like Tony did with his first solo album...this might be interesting idea.)

1. Ozzy
    2. Ozzy
    3. Ozzy
    4. Ozzy
    5. Ozzy

Just my words!!!

If not:

King Diamond!!
    You work your life away and what do they give?
    You're only killing yourself to live?

One more album? Well, they should take all the unreleased material they have with Dio, which should be at least half an album, and release that.

Otherwise, Ozzy of course, what's the doubt? He just proved he can still deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kenneth View Post

2. Bernie Shaw

Another great singer who's close to Butler and Iommi in age and still has a very impressive voice. He's probably too busy with Uriah Heep though.

3. Mats Leven

Because it's a fantastic suggestion! Hell I think I'll go put on some Krux right now

:

I have to admit that Bernie has a good voice , altho im not into Uriah Heep's music.

I am going to put on KRUX too... because its a killer stuff!

Rob Halford
    Tony Martin
    Ian Gillen
    Ozzy
    Boy George

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
    Boy George
    How come I dind't think of this one!

1) Jorn Lande
    2) Glenn Hughes
    3) Paul Rodgers
    4) Rob Halford
    5) Marco Hietala
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

Some different ones that might be interesting:

Glen Danzig
    Jeff Scott Soto
    Ripper Owens
    John Bush
    Blaze Bayley

To everyone suggesting Paul Rodgers: He's a decent enough singer but did you hear the studio album he did with "Queen"? Ick. He just didn't fit with them, and he wouldn't fit here either.
    Last edited by fondula; 10-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -E5150 StarWanderer- View Post
    1) Jorn Lande
    The only reason I wouldn't want Jorn is because when he's on stage he just seems like the frontman of a Dio cover band, and his lyrics leave a lot to be desired. To me he would just be a cheap imitation of the late great RJD, imo.
    Words laced with blasphemy, drip with sincerity. Falling into the plan, like sacrificial lambs. Hearing the words, and said rings like nail to the head. Now I can see the stars, I know we have gone too far.
    - OverKill, "Horrorscope"

Quote Originally Posted by MattSabb88 View Post
    The only reason I wouldn't want Jorn is because when he's on stage he just seems like the frontman of a Dio cover band, and his lyrics leave a lot to be desired. To me he would just be a cheap imitation of the late great RJD, imo.
    I agree that he's stage precense isn't the best possible, bares a striking resemblance to one Tony Martin actually But his voice on the other hand is strong and has a unique touch IMO, though his influences are obvious (he is kind of a hybrid of Dio and Coverdale). And about his lyrics, well, they might be somewhat cliche-ridden at times (he has some good ones aswell) but I think that great sounding music surpasses lyrics as long as they aren't total bs Taste issues, I suppose.
    "The consequence of conscience/Is that you'll be left somewhere/Swinging in the air"-Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010) R.I.P. King Of Metal
    "Just take a look around you what do you see/Pain, suffering, and misery/It's not the way that the world was planned/It's a pity you don't understand" - Geezer Butler
    "If god is in heaven/How can this happen here" - Phil Lynott (1949-1986)

1.Ozzy
    2.Tony Martin
    3.Ian Gillan
    4.Glenn Hughes
    5.Rob Halford

Male vox:

1) Ashmedi
    2) Chuck Billy
    3) Messiah Marcolin
    4) Rob Cavestany
    5) Daniel Heiman

Female vox:

1) Johanna DePierre
    2) Beyoncé
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Male vox:

1) Ashmedi
    2) Chuck Billy
    3) Messiah Marcolin
    4) Rob Cavestany
    5) Daniel Heiman

Female vox:

1) Johanna DePierre
    2) Beyoncé
    An original project with Messiah Marcolin singing and Iommi and Butler playing would sound MASSIVE! I know his style is not to everyones liking, but personally I love that dramatic and operatic vocal approach.

My first choice would be Ozzy, but only if it meant a new album.

Otherwise,

1. Chris Cornell
    2. Billy Idol
    3. Jorn Lande
    4. Ian Anderson
    5. Andrew Stockdale

I obviously want a New Original Sabbath line up album but if that doesnt happen in times to come my suggestion would.

1) Tony Martin (of course I just love his work with Sabbath, most deserving singer)
    2) Mats Levan
    3) Serj Tankian
    4) Jorn Lande
    5) Steve Hennessey (of Sheavy)

My "not Ozzy"Colab List

Chris Cornell
    Myles Kennedy
    Corey Taylor
    Jon Crosby (VAST)
    Blackie Lawless

Cheers,
    Mackie
    Last edited by TheEtherCult; 10-15-2010 at 11:17 PM.

First off, it should not carry the Black Sabbath name. Let that legend rest.

Not Ozzy, if for no other reason than $haron would insist on it being an Ozzy album, or Ozzy at least having top billing.

My first choice would be Glenn Hughes, but I don't want to deprive him of his bassist role, so I'd say only get him if Geezer opts out.

Otherwise...

I would want Tony Martin to take the slot, but he's been burnt so many times by Tony Iommi that I doubt he'd want to get involved.

Ian Gillan, if he weren't occupied with Deep Purple.

Perhaps David Coverdale, but his lyrics wouldn't fit at all.

One name that popped into my head was Bert Heerink, ex-Vandenberg singer. I always liked his voice.

Graham Bonnet.

Phil Mogg.

James Neal (former Malice singer)
    He is not here. He has risen!

Robert Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus/Candlemass)
    Phil Anselmo (Down/Pantera)
    Jorn Lande
    Ian Gillan
    Johan Langquist (Candlemass)
    Last edited by SabbathKing93; 10-16-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Quote Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
    Boy George
    He is not here. He has risen!

Quote Originally Posted by SabbathKing93 View Post
    John Langquist (Candlemass)
    Woah, there's an idea! I'd wonder if he'd go back to metal? Reading this thread there are quite a few good suggestions, let's see if I can narrow my choices...

1. Scott Reagers of Saint Vitus (This guy's vocals are INSANE and they fit great with Saint Vitus, I think his voice would be killer with Iommi/Geezer too)
    2. Phil Anslemo of Pantera/Down (He was great on Time Is Mine from the Iommi album)
    3. Johan Langquist of Candlemass
    4. Messiah Marcolin of Candlemass
    5. King Diamond of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Quote Originally Posted by Icy Sun View Post
    Scott Reagers of Saint Vitus (This guy's vocals are INSANE and they fit great with Saint Vitus, I think his voice would be killer with Iommi/Geezer too)
    Holy shit, that would be so awesome! However, (realistically speaking, yes I am a killjoy) I have heard that Reagers works like two jobs now and doesn't really have time for touring/music. But hell, if Tony and Geezer offered him some Dough, he would be a madman to turn that offer down!

Quote Originally Posted by sn0wb1ind0zzy View Post
    Holy shit, that would be so awesome! However, (realistically speaking, yes I am a killjoy) I have heard that Reagers works like two jobs now and doesn't really have time for touring/music. But hell, if Tony and Geezer offered him some Dough, he would be a madman to turn that offer down!
    That's too bad if he wouldn't have enough time to do it. But you're probably right that he would probably jump at the chance!
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

1. OZZY
    Ozzy is far ahead of all my other choices. TBH I'd be disappointed if they chose anyone but Ozzy for a new project. If I had to choose 4 more I'd pick:
    2. Serj Tankian
    3. Chris Cornell
    4. Bruce Dickinson (definitely not going to happen after the Ozzfest fiasco, but still)
    5. Rob Halford

I don't really care what vocalist Iommi and GZR choose, but if MK1 can make an album now, great, if not, no big deal. Iommi can go back to Iommi, GZR same case. The Chris Cornell idea seems cool as well, like having young blood in the band like they had with Gillen in Sabbath. Bruce Dickenson isn't mad at all of Sabbath 'cept Ozzy, you can't really blame Ward, Butler, and Iommi at all for it, as I see it. Phil Anselmo seems like a cool idea as well, and at one point during my getting into Sabbath years I thought "Black Judas" would be cool to have Halford in the mix.

As of recent times however, Gillan doing something with Iommi already is cool, and who knows what can entail for Martin and Nicholls to come back. Well, I guess I did have a list after all, just not top five.
    "Even with so much bad blood between us... It's funny... Now that I'm actually face to face with him again... The hatred is gone. All I feel is a deep sense of longing. And pity. Did Zero really hate me? Or... Did he fear me?" - Big Boss

Well, I can certainly say Gillan, Hughes and Martin would be repeat disasters. Who could conceive that bad ideas would improve with the passage of 20+ years?

So, Ozzy, obviously. Hey, if he's gonna claim 50% of the profits may as well make him earn it. :-)

Outside of Ozzy I think Robert Lowe, recently of Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus, would be incredible.
    How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I'd say Jorn Lande. IMO he's more Coverdale than Dio. If his lyrics are a little cheesey then maybe we could try to write lyrics in Norwegian and see how they come out!! He's a top notch vocalist and with the Geezer/Iommi quality control we'll be in for a treat that will be vaguely familiar yet totally new!!

3 people for Mats Leven so far. I reckon that's enough to send an ultimatum to the Messrs Iommi and Butler! On a more serious note, here are some youtube links for those not familiar with his work:

Mats Leven doing Black Dwarf with Candlemass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOTCKwLEmsY

Mats Leven doing Black Funeral (Mercyful Fate cover) with Therion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4L-t...eature=related

And some Krux...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALAB...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Kenneth View Post
    3 people for Mats Leven so far. I reckon that's enough to send an ultimatum to the Messrs Iommi and Butler! On a more serious note, here are some youtube links for those not familiar with his work:

Mats Leven doing Black Dwarf with Candlemass
    Messiah doing Black Dwarf with Candlemass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HTMuCPluU

Mats Leven is versatile.. I've seen him live when he was with Therion.. but he just lacks something for me. He's extremely adept at covering songs and contributing to many projects and styles, but he seems to lack that something unique. His natural style is close to being one of those forgettable euro power metal singers, and when he varies it, it sounds too much like he's trying too hard. A true grafter though.

Having said that, he's about a million places higher up my list than the likes of Phil Anselmo or Serj wotsit.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

Banned

I really dislike Messiah, in all honesty.

Overdoes the vocal vibrato, he sounds like he's riding a jackhammer most of the time. :( Just my opinion.

Not Ozzy. He's gonna be busy with his stuff for a while, and it didn't work when they tried it. If they do it I'm all in, I've said it before but let's get real: I don't see it happening.

I like the Chris Cornell idea, and Mats Leven as well. Can somebody hook this guys up?
    The dog's name is Pete. If he tries to mount you in the middle of the night, say "no" sternly. But don't look him in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Messiah doing Black Dwarf with Candlemass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HTMuCPluU

Mats Leven is versatile.. I've seen him live when he was with Therion.. but he just lacks something for me. He's extremely adept at covering songs and contributing to many projects and styles, but he seems to lack that something unique. His natural style is close to being one of those forgettable euro power metal singers, and when he varies it, it sounds too much like he's trying too hard. A true grafter though.

Having said that, he's about a million places higher up my list than the likes of Phil Anselmo or Serj wotsit.
    I always assumed that the way he sung in Krux was close to his natural style, but that may just be because Krux was the first thing I heard him in. I'm not sure I agree with the "forgettable power metal singer" bit under any circumstances though. Even with Therion and Malmsteen he did have a bit of gravel and gravitas in his voice which puts him apart from most singers of that ilk.

I agree 110% with the Anselmo/Serj Tankian bit though!