View Poll Results: Which album is better?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heaven and Hell

47 58.02%
  • Blizzard of Ozz

24 29.63%
  • Apples and Oranges

10 12.35%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Heaven and Hell vs. Blizzard of Ozz

Hopefully we can do this without anybody getting all rankled

For me it is Blizzard. While nothing on Blizzard matches the epic greatness of the song "Heaven and Hell", I find that overall it is a more entertaining album, more colorful. Dio's singing blows Ozzy's out of the water here, but Ozzy's melodies have better hooks, more memorable. The only real clunker on Blizzard is "No Bone Movies" and though H&H doesn't have any bad songs per se, many of them are just good without really wowing me (my opinion here, don't get mad!) Among the lackluster songs are Lady Evil, Walk Away, Lonely is the Word, and, I know many will disagree, but Children of the Sea. On Blizzard, Mr. Crowley is a bit over the top, as is Revelation (Mother Earth), and Ozzy's singing on "Goodbye to Romance" is dreadful, but all of those songs have great hooks, hit material ya know? As far as guitar playing I prefer Randy's solos to Iommi's on these particular albums for the most part. Seems like Iommi was too interested in showing the young kids that he could play fast like Eddie...he does have great solos on H&H the song and Lonely is the Word though. Blizzard gets an 8, H&H gets a 7.

all I can say is Tony was probably frowning when he heard Blizzard ...and Im sure Bill had a shit eatin' grin for a week.

Both are great, but for me H&H is better.

Heaven and Hell easily on this one. Mob Rules vs Diary of a Madman? Not sure I could even cast a vote there, 2 almost perfect albums- as long as we skip the 2002 "Remasters."
    The blind men shout "Let the creatures out, we'll show the unbelievers."
    The napalm screams of human flames, of a prime time Belsen feast ... yeah!
    As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy.
    We oil the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.

Well, here we are on a Black Sabbath fan site, the results aren't surprising so far. If y'all could give some reasons other than "I like this one way better" that would be cool though, discussions are always better than shouting matches

Duck Season!

Wabbit Season!

Heaven & Hell, definitely.

Never have been a fan of Blizzard Of Ozz. Always thought it was only a decent album. Heaven & Hell on the other hand, to me, every track is great.
    If the magic comes between us
    And we never meet again
    Take a part of me away
    'Cause maybe it's all above love
    ~As Long As It's Not About Love~

Banned

Heaven And Hell no doubt...

Blizzard too is a great album, but not nearly as great as Heaven And Hell...

Reasons? Sorry, "it's great" is not a reason.

Both are energy-injected releases with strong songwriting, but there is just something intangible about "Heaven and Hell" that brings me back to spin the whole album over and over and over and over. "Blizzard of Ozz" just isn't quite as strong front-to-back for me.
    Plus, "Crazy Train" is so overplayed for me that I never crave to listen to it for some reason. It's a perfectly fine song, but sometimes when I hear it I feel "sigh, not this AGAIN". Some songs I want to listen to 2000000 times, but for this one I capped out at 1500000.

Quote Originally Posted by fondula View Post
    Both are energy-injected releases with strong songwriting, but there is just something intangible about "Heaven and Hell" that brings me back to spin the whole album over and over and over and over. "Blizzard of Ozz" just isn't quite as strong front-to-back for me.
    Plus, "Crazy Train" is so overplayed for me that I never crave to listen to it for some reason. It's a perfectly fine song, but sometimes when I hear it I feel "sigh, not this AGAIN". Some songs I want to listen to 2000000 times, but for this one I capped out at 1500000.
    That's the spirit Fondula! "intangibles" is usually a word we use when we can't put our finger on something, but hey, at least you tried! Crazy Train has been played to death, you're right. When I first heard it I thought it was the shiznitz, of course I was probably like 6 or 7 then

I got H&H in 1980, it completely blew my mind, it was the 3rd or 4th album I ever bought (the others I got round that time being Vol4, BS and Sabotage which also all blew my tiny mind). Tony's guitar tone coupled with Dio's phenomenal vocals were pure magic to me, a combination most perfectly illustrated on Die Young. Over time I've grown to love Mob Rules, Sabotage and possibly Vol4 and SBS a touch more than H&H, but it's still extremely strong.

I picked up Blizzard after I'd completed plugging the gaps and building up the remainder of my Sabs collection at that point, in about 1981. This also blew my mind to a degree. Randy's guitar solos were spectacular (especially for the time), and I really appreciated that Ozzy's voice was a continuing part of new music. I was quite young so it didn't really occur to me to compare it to H&H, but I did compare it to the Ozzy-era Sabbath I'd been discovering... and it didn't come close to that. I really enjoyed it though.

Over time though, Blizzard's aged less well to me than H&H, and I've listened to it comparatively less and less. Blizzard's like an amazing fond memory, whereas H&H can still deliver a current buzz.

Hence I voted H&H without a second thought, but I still think highly of Blizzard.

...and as much as I love Diary, it's nowhere even close to Mob Rules for me.
    I don't need wings to reach the sky
    And I don't need hands to hold you tight...

~~~ Coroner ~~~

i love Blizzard of Ozz so much, if wasn't for that album i wouldn't have known about the Ozzman...... i think the riffs, bass, singing and drums on it are perfect. i still prefer Diary over it though, but you've got a song live Revelation Mother Earth then Wishing Well what do you pick? it's very hard but i voted Heaven and Hell, it's slowy becoming my favourite Sabbath album

Heaven & Hell hands down. The FAR superior album in every way. You want Reasons?

1. The Guitar playing is far superior.

2. The singing is far superior.

3. The song variety is far superior.

4. The structure and quality of each song is far superior.
    Last edited by Steve152006; 11-19-2010 at 05:13 PM.

I went with Blizzard of Ozz in a landslide. I love H&H a ton but for me the first two Ozzy albums are untouchable.

I love Tony's playing but you can't compare the lead playing between the two records. The leads in Mr. Crowley alone could be the finest moment ever in hard rock guitar playing. The leads in every song are like a song within song. You can hum the leads as if they were a vocal melody. The smoothness Randy plays with while he is triple tracking his leads in unheard of. Listen to the diversity between the leads of GTR and CT. Just amazing. The lead in Revelation is so classically influenced it is scary.

Now lets talk about the number 1 reason I like BOO more and that is Ozzy's melodies and vocals. As much as I hear that Dio is the superior singer he isn't the superior melody writer. The songs on BOO are so amazingly catchy and memorable where I can't say the same on H&H. Listen to the Bridges on Mr. Crowley, I Don't Know and Crazy Train it is just amazing. The verse's of Revelation and GTR are so catchy. As bad as everyone thinks NBM is it is still way better than the Disco flavored Lady Evil. One of my least liked Sabbath songs.

This is tough as I said earlier Ozzy is my favorite vocalist and RR is my favorite Guitarist (Tony is Second). Their 2 albums together was just so magical. I know I am in the minority here but I thought I would at least give my vote.
    Religion won't save me
    The damage is done
    The future has ended
    Before it's begun
    - Damaged Soul - Black Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Steve152006 View Post
    Heaven & Hell hands down. The FAR superior album in every way. You want Reasons?

Well you made this easy for me. See above, I feel the same way.
    "I can honestly say itís truly been an honor to play at his side for all these years, his music will live on forever." ~ Tony Iommi (Speaking of Ronnie James Dio)

Lol. Why is it better? Because it's better that's why!!

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    The leads in every song are like a song within song. You can hum the leads as if they were a vocal melody. The smoothness Randy plays with while he is triple tracking his leads in unheard of. Listen to the diversity between the leads of GTR and CT. Just amazing. The lead in Revelation is so classically influenced it is scary.

Now lets talk about the number 1 reason I like BOO more and that is Ozzy's melodies and vocals. As much as I hear that Dio is the superior singer he isn't the superior melody writer. The songs on BOO are so amazingly catchy and memorable where I can't say the same on H&H. Listen to the Bridges on Mr. Crowley, I Don't Know and Crazy Train it is just amazing. The verse's of Revelation and GTR are so catchy. As bad as everyone thinks NBM is it is still way better than the Disco flavored Lady Evil. One of my least liked Sabbath songs.
    I agree with you on every count. There are times in Ozzy's career where the catchiness is like catching VD, like on most of the Bark at the Moon album, but the hooks here are all gems. Dio's melodies are all very good, just some of the songs I can't remember the vocal line after I just listened to it, they are all sort of nebulous, same with Tony's leads on the album.

Now, I am not just saying this because I agree with you, but THAT is called backing up your opinion. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Blizzard of Ozz is the only Ozzy album that I really like. It has so many strong songs, not only the commercially known Crazy Train but also favourites like "Goodbye to Romance". And Rhandy is such a great guitarist... but what can they do? they are put up against two Gods! Tony + Dio are unbeatable for me, there can be no better.

The fact that Ozzy's voice is getting really messed up also contributes to my opinion. But honestly I believe that what Dio and Tony created is maybe the best Sabbath has ever accomplished. In a way it is sad they only made two albums during the 80s, but I guess that third album would not have been so good, considering how angry they were with eachother. And something good came out of that too, Born Again!

Heaven and Hell ftw!
    "I am the crazy man who lives inside your head, but I think I'm breaking through the wall... You are the innocent convicted of the crime, no one was ever there to catch you when you fall" (1992)
    -Ronnie James Dio, Rest in Peace

"In the summer days we flew to the sun, on melting wings, but the seasons changed to fast, leave us all behind... Blind..." (1969)
    - Jon Lord, Rest in Peace

My first album!!!:
    http://open.spotify.com/album/60jv1AdlWvi1KlcR8JhG4b

Both are great game changing metal albums. The musicianship on both are through the ceiling, and a couple of years ago I would have said Blizzard of Ozz but today I'd say Heaven and Hell is the superior album.

Blizzard of Ozz is poppier than Heaven and Hell, that's why its more popular. Its catchy as hell, and got some great tunes but Heaven and Hell set Black Sabbath going full heavy fucking metal after their experimental departures with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, the improvement over those albums is infinitesimal.

Personally I view the Ozzy Sabbath breakup as a good thing, we got two great bands out of it and eventually three when Dio went solo. Had Ozzy and Sabbath stayed together we would've gotten another sub-par album but apart we got several great ones.

Bob Daisley is a great lyricist but he's no Ronnie James Dio or Geezer Butler. And while Randy Rhoads was a fantastic guitarist he was no Tony Iommi.

Heaven and Hell FTW

Quote Originally Posted by MH1986 View Post
    Blizzard of Ozz is poppier than Heaven and Hell, that's why its more popular. Its catchy as hell, and got some great tunes but Heaven and Hell set Black Sabbath going full heavy fucking metal after their experimental departures with Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, the improvement over those albums is infinitesimal.

Bob Daisley is a great lyricist but he's no Ronnie James Dio or Geezer Butler. And while Randy Rhoads was a fantastic guitarist he was no Tony Iommi.
    Fair enough. Just curious, when you say Rhoads is no Iommi, could you be more specific? Like, in what way is Iommi better? Do you like his tone better? Does he play with more "feeling"? Does he look cooler? That kind of thing.

I agree that the lyrics on Blizzard aren't so good in several spots. Still, I prefer the "wear your heart on your sleeve" approach of the majority of Ozzy's (Bob Daisley's) lyrics to Dio's magical, mystical women.

As a side note, infintesimal means really, really small. I agree, huge improvement over the last two Ozzy-Sab albums...there are no downright bad songs on H&H while TE and NSD were chock full of em. I just see BOO as an even bigger improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Boy View Post
    Fair enough. Just curious, when you say Rhoads is no Iommi, could you be more specific? Like, in what way is Iommi better? Do you like his tone better? Does he play with more "feeling"? Does he look cooler? That kind of thing.
    Tony's tone is better. Tony plays with more feeling. Tony looks cooler.

I understand we all have our own opinions but I think EVERYONE here can agree with me in saying that Tony Iommi is on a level that randy could have never reached. Yes randy was a good player, you'd be a fool to think otherwise but you are indeed a fool if you try and compare them. Its like comparing fresh organic oranges to rotten worm riddled apples.

And as a side note I was not referring to the whole "apples to oranges thing". They are different players yeah but Iommi is just too good.

\I understand we all have our own opinions but I think EVERYONE here can agree with me in saying that Tony Iommi is on a level that randy could have never reached.
    Well, we can't agree so there goes that

H&H for me - I really like 5 songs on the H&H lp & only 3 on the BOO LP - on a side note I did see both tours - the Sabbath show was great whereas the Ozzy show seemed boring to me (Motorhead opened the show & this was the Ace of Spades tour) so me & my friends left during Ozzy's set
    At least my hair is all mine, My teeth are my own, but everything else is on a permanent loan I'm on a low budget - Ray Davies

I voted Apples and Oranges.

Ted

I voted Heaven and Hell. I think Ozzy's peak vocally was his initial time in Sabbath (especially the first three albums). By the time he went solo, his vocals were a lot weaker. Dio's vocals on the other hand, were still very strong on Heaven and Hell. I've always preferred Tony's guitar playing to Randy's; Tony is one of the greatest riff writers in heavy metal history, and on H&H the best ones are in Neon Knights, Children of the Sea, Heaven and Hell, Die Young, and Lonely is the Word. Like the OP pointed out, the guitar solos in Heaven and Hell (song) and Lonely is the Word are great, I especially like the one in Lonely is the word, I think it's one of Iommi's best. Randy's playing though, although I can concede his solos were very technically proficient, they just never grabbed me. Then there's the riffs, I think Randy's riff writing was a lot weaker than Tony's.

But really, it's not so much that I prefer Heaven and Hell to Blizzard of Ozz, it's that I prefer Dio era Black Sabbath (as well as Ozzy era) to any solo Ozzy.
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail pic extravaganza! http://www.black-sabbath.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31523

Blizzard of Ozz is poppier than Heaven and Hell, that's why its more popular.
    LMAO! I always loved this reasoning. "Sabbath was too heavy to be as popular as Ozzy."

I guess it was Metallica's light hearted, toe tappin' beats that launched them in the 80's as Sabbath spiraled into commercial oblivion.....

Quote Originally Posted by hipster doofus View Post
    LMAO! I always loved this reasoning. "Sabbath was too heavy to be as popular as Ozzy."

I guess it was Metallica's light hearted, toe tappin' beats that launched them in the 80's as Sabbath spiraled into commercial oblivion.....
    yup i agree, that is failed logic

As a side note, infintesimal means really, really small. I agree, huge improvement over the last two Ozzy-Sab albums...there are no downright bad songs on H&H while TE and NSD were chock full of em. I just see BOO as an even bigger improvement.
    Whoops my bad, I meant infinitely, lol. Thanks.

As for Iommi, and Rhoads. Rhoads was a much flashier player. However Iommi plays with much greater feel than Rhoads, thats not saying Rhoads didn't but Iommi more so. Tone wise, it doesn't get much better than Iommi's. As far as tone goes Iommi and Brian May are right at the top for me. Not to mention their bodies of work, Iommi has written a countless number of great songs whereas Randy had just a few albums to his name.

Randy Rhoads is one of my favorite guitarists but Iommi is #1 in my book. Then again I'll take a great blues guitarist over a neoclassical shredder any day. Rhoads died before he could progress to the level of the greats, had he lived he could very well be up there but as great as he was he was still developing. He had unlimited potential but died before it could ultimately be realized.

I like both albums but Heaven and Hell wins for me. Not to mention Dio has got to be just about my favorite vocalist.

Apples and Oranges. I listen to Heaven and Hell a lot more than Blizzard now but that is because I've only been into DIO Sabbath for about 12 years. Me and Ozzy go back almost 30.

Voted Heaven and Hell.
    I just love Iommi+Dio more than Ozzy+Rhandy..

Obviously both are incredible albums. However, I am voting for Blizzard of Ozz quite simply because there is just not that much Randy Rhoads material out there. Such a brilliant musician taken from us way too early.

Heaven & Hell for me.

There are no songs as powerful and epic as Heaven & Hell, Die Young, or Neon Knights on Blizzard..

In fact, if Heaven & Hell were only those three songs I'd still love it more than BOO.

Not that Blizzard is a bad record by any means. Crazy Train and Suicide Solution are good songs.

But damn.. I think I can listen to Heaven & Hell over and over again and never get tired of it. It's just that good.

Blizzard of Ozz is a fabulous album!

But I voted for Heaven & Hell because it is the album I'd much rather listen to.
    "I've seen the future and I've left it behind"

I went for Heaven and Hell. As cool as my two favorites from Blizzard, Crazy Train and Revelation (Mother Earth) are, they are nowhere as good as Heaven and Hell and Neon Knights. Those two tracks alone put H&H above Blizzard for me.

Two of them are great albums.

That Apples and Oranges one, on the other hand, did nothing for me.

I love Blizzard BUT, I agree with an earlier point made. The first time you listen to Blizzard, it blows you away but for me it soon worn off whereas most of the songs on H&H can be like a slap (a good slap) in the face everytime you hear it like MOR, niehter of them are my favourite albums but songs like Into the Void and Children of the Grave or Heaven and Hell and Children of the Sea are well, epic.

As for Tony vs Randy, I think RR is an amazingly talented player. He is very technical and came out with some amazing riffs and licks but Tony's playing is just.. ... ... I can think of the right word to descirbe it! IMO he has SOOO much more feeling and creativity. The structure of his riffs and songs are addictive and very memorable whilst being able to satisfy the needs of those who like to here some good playing techniques. Like Iron Man for example is a riff known to everyone who has a life but when listened to by a rock or heavy metal fan can be appreciated. Maybe I am just too bias to Tony because he is my hero
    Last edited by BackStreetKid; 11-24-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    Won't you help me Mr. Jesus?

Banned

I voted Blizzard, since it is a 10/10 album all around.

Heaven and Hell, on the other hand, has 3 great tracks; Neon Knights, Die Young, and Lonely is the Word. Every other song is spotty at best, and while I like the fast part of the title track, everything before it is absolutely yawn-inducing. Not only that but it spawned the utterly repulsive practice of stretching it to 20+ agonizing minutes during live shows.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryHeart View Post
    That Apples and Oranges one, on the other hand, did nothing for me.
    Lmfao!! Well played, sir!

That's the spirit Fondula! "intangibles" is usually a word we use when we can't put our finger on something, but hey, at least you tried! Crazy Train has been played to death, you're right. When I first heard it I thought it was the shiznitz, of course I was probably like 6 or 7 then
    Hey monster boy... Heaven and hell is better because "it just fucking is OK"
    All good things

Whoops my bad, I meant infinitely, lol. Thanks.

As for Iommi, and Rhoads. Rhoads was a much flashier player. However Iommi plays with much greater feel than Rhoads, thats not saying Rhoads didn't but Iommi more so...
    Randy Rhoads is one of my favorite guitarists but Iommi is #1 in my book. Then again I'll take a great blues guitarist over a neoclassical shredder any day. Rhoads died before he could progress to the level of the greats, had he lived he could very well be up there but as great as he was he was still developing. He had unlimited potential but died before it could ultimately be realized.
    I think you are selling Randy short...as for taking a great blues guitarist over a 'neoclassical shredder', I'm not sure which way I'd go on that. Certainly Randy would have become even better known regardless of whether or not he'd stayed with Ozzy for much longer.

Ted

Hey Monster Boy, believe me, we've had just these same album face-offs, even polls, in the past, with some very animated, even acrimonious, give-n-take between members with strident stances on the issue.

That said, since we're in the here and now, I definitely vote for Blizzard.

It's a truly stunningly cool album and a keeper for all fans of Ozzy at the artistic acme of his solo career. I think I love BoO from start to finish, even the much-maligned 'Goodbye to Romance' or the over-played killer hits like Crazy Train, I Don't Know, Suicide Solution etc...I just know that I still love even the over-exposed, ubiquitous songs on Blizzard, and unlike for a few people here, BoO has actually 'aged' just fine, to me. Ozzy sounded rejuvenated, exuding an energy, confidence and joy that lent an infectiously cool vibe to the entire record of catchy as fuck, rocking tunes. Randy was a boy wonder on lead guitar, some shyness, some swagger, lots of feeling and conviction in his playing-----all of which, incidentally, were upped further on the even better Diary of a Madman album. I don't even mind some of the seemingly lightweight lyrics on BoO; they certainly came across as refreshingly direct and sincere. The bass playing was busy and impressive, all along..and the drumming starred in its expert anchoring of the sound of the playing of the rest of the band. Ozzy's mastery of the vocals, innate knack for emotion in his singing, the vocal harmonies etc....helped make the songs sound even cooler than they would have been with a far more controlled, more stereotypical heavy metal singer.
    Overall, Blizzard is a bombshell and I'd argue has always been rated fairly---never overly so.

I'd hate to rehash all the stuff I've ever said in the forums about the Dio-Sabbath debut 'Heaven and Hell', but I'd just say that I've always found H&H to be a hugely over-hyped, over-rated, dull dud of an album. The lyrics were especially lame, the playing was pretty pedestrian, the whole band sounded like a mere shadow of its former self; so dramatic was the transformation from the ton-heavy, sludgy, doomy, classic heavy metal of the '70s incarnation of the band, to this suddenly extremely slick, faster, more melodic, more atmospheric, indeed rather generic '80s heavy metal. Half of H&H was utterly insipid rock tunes, and the remainder had only very fleeting cool moments, but mostly rather forgettable songs, overall. The entire album sounded somewhat formulaic, unimaginative cautious and just dreadfully dull. I liked the follow-up Mob Rules a lot better, for some reasons.

Anyway, I probably can't be any clearer about the why and how of my blatant, continuing preference for something like Bliizzard of Ozz to the highly-rated, but highly second-rate Heaven and Hell album.
    "Actors really are the scum of the earth. Their behavior makes arrogant, overpaid rock stars appear positively noble' - Buzz Osborne

Iommi vs Rhodes, well they approach the guitar from 2 entirly different styles, Tony's a blues player, like all his English peers of that era, Randy was a classical trained player, they're both supuerb players, but their styles are not apples to apples. I prefer blues players because they attack the heart and gut, the Van Halen / Rhodes styles are all head...
    Last edited by Wicked Cricket; 11-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.